Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2019, 14:47   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish_symc View Post
I have new Ecosport T+ Diesel purchased in Nov'17. The longest drive done by me was during Diwali when I did Pune -> My Home Town in UP -> Pune. Total distance traveled was 4500 Kilometers. My experience with Ecosport is -
Any views on the driving experience and related aspects: high speed stability, engine performance, overtaking on highways, etc? Also, how was the NVH/ smoothness of the TDCI engine at high RPMs?
Old 11th January 2019, 15:58   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish_symc View Post
4. Fuel Mileage was around 19-20 Kilometer/Liter with AC ON all the time and with fully loaded car.
Man, am I jealous! Why on earth can't ford give a diesel AT option!
Old 11th January 2019, 22:41   #708
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Man, am I jealous! Why on earth can't ford give a diesel AT option!
Because the price wont justify the volumes, period.

The Ecosport sells as a city runabout where monthly running is less than 1k km, a diesel simply wont cut it.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 12:08   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Because the price wont justify the volumes, period.

The Ecosport sells as a city runabout where monthly running is less than 1k km, a diesel simply wont cut it.
Then how does a diesel manual sell?
Old 16th January 2019, 14:11   #710
BHPian

We celebrated the Reincarnator's (our new Titanium+ AT Ecosport) 6th monthiversary with a drive to Hyderabad. Some key observations during the trip and of my ownership period in general.

Positive
* Extremely smooth automatic transmission. A real boon inside the city.
* Very easy to drive around and park in the limited spaces. An overgrown hatchback isn't a wrong description.
* Car has sufficient power. Driven on different terrains - open roads, bumper to bumper traffic, elevations, gravel surface, plush surface. It is always at ease, responds eagerly and isn't stressed at all.
* I really enjoy the bumpy ride on pothole ridden roads. The suspension I feel is tweaked just to my liking.
* The steering is just about perfect. Isn't too light on highways especially during overtakes. And if you want to take a turn you can do so with one hand and little effort. I hate steerings which require you to use all your strength to do it.
* Auto headlamp work accurately. By the time I feel the need to switch on the headlights, they are already on. Same with auto A/C. Didn't need to reduce the blower speed or temperature. It knows me so well! Convenient.
* Touchscreen system, audio and call quality are superb. No inconsistencies, lags or any issues whatsoever.
* The seating position suits my height. Driving ergonomics is great. Both high speed and low speed drives never felt uncomfortable and tiring.

Negatives
* Too many electronics. It is convenient like I said. But I always live with fear that the battery is going to give up on me anytime. Read on.
* You can open the tailgate even when the car is locked but only if your key is within the sensor range. We had a situation when I noticed the stop lights and DRL's were still running, several hours after the car was last used. This was because we forgot to lock the car again after we closed the tailgate. The ORVM's are retracted back even when you open the tailgate giving you an impression that the car is locked, but it actually isn't. Headlight rotary switch was in always on position IIRC. Both the lights would turn off only after I locked the car again. Not sure if this is an issue or it affects lower variants too.
* The touchscreen system works even when after the engine is turned off.
(All the three points are related to battery drains.)
* Abysmal FE in the city. I have to absolve myself whenever I look at the MID figures.

More
Experienced the first puncture on the front left tyre at Hyderabad. Had to get it fixed at a far away shop as nearby ones were closed due to Makar Sankranthi.

Noticed the left headlight had stopped working sometime during the trip. Didn't want to take chances on our return journey that would be done in the dark and immediately replaced it under warranty at Fortune Ford. The service experience was great.

Cruise control and Hyderabad ORR are a match made in heaven. I set the speed at 95, sticked to the right most line and had one of the best drives ever.
strawhat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 16:00   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
* I really enjoy the bumpy ride on pothole ridden roads. The suspension I feel is tweaked just to my liking.

Negatives
* Abysmal FE in the city. I have to absolve myself whenever I look at the MID figures.

More

Noticed the left headlight had stopped working sometime during the trip. Didn't want to take chances on our return journey that would be done in the dark and immediately replaced it under warranty at Fortune Ford. The service experience was great.
Congrats on completing 6 months with the car.

A few questions on your 6 month report:

1. What is the FE inside the city that you are getting?
2. When you say headlight had stopped working, do you mean that the bulb had fused and needed replacement? Or was it the entire projector unit that required replacement?
3. Is the suspension absorbent on potholed roads? Or is the ride bumpy?
Old 16th January 2019, 19:49   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Congrats on completing 6 months with the car.

A few questions on your 6 month report:

1. What is the FE inside the city that you are getting?
Thank you Arindam. I am getting anywhere between 7 and 8km/l in city. This is the average FE considering moderate traffic. On expressways/highways 13-15km/l is achievable.

Quote:
2. When you say headlight had stopped working, do you mean that the bulb had fused and needed replacement? Or was it the entire projector unit that required replacement?
Only the bulb stopped functioning. Unsure what caused it. Are headlight bulbs prone to such issues in every car, that too a new one?

Quote:
3. Is the suspension absorbent on potholed roads? Or is the ride bumpy?
It is bumpy and slightly on the harsher side. Those who like a planted ride may not like it very much.
Old 17th January 2019, 08:56   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Arindam. I am getting anywhere between 7 and 8km/l in city. This is the average FE considering moderate traffic. On expressways/highways 13-15km/l is achievable.
Makes me feel better at 10 kmpl! I don't accelerate hard, and use paddle to upshift at 2k rpm.

I really don't like the behavior of my car when pressing the A pedal. RPM shoots instantly above 3k, but the speed doesn't increase as fast. Probably the torque converter cannot keep up. That results in instantaneous FE of less than 5!
Old 17th January 2019, 11:40   #714
BHPian

Quote:
We celebrated the Reincarnator's (our new Titanium+ AT Ecosport) 6th monthiversary with a drive to Hyderabad. Some key observations during the trip and of my ownership period in general.

* You can open the tailgate even when the car is locked but only if your key is within the sensor range. We had a situation when I noticed the stop lights and DRL's were still running, several hours after the car was last used. This was because we forgot to lock the car again after we closed the tailgate. The ORVM's are retracted back even when you open the tailgate giving you an impression that the car is locked, but it actually isn't. Headlight rotary switch was in always on position IIRC. Both the lights would turn off only after I locked the car again. Not sure if this is an issue or it affects lower variants too.
I had faced a similar issue on my Ford Aspire S. Once I had forgotten to turn off the headlight rotary switch completely(left it in the parking light mode), closed the boot and then locked the car. After an hour or so I was shocked to note that the stop lights and parking lights were still on! Quickly got into the car and tried starting it(hoping that the battery wouldn't have drained) and voila! it did start with that typical shake in the cabin. Is this a common issue with Ford vehicles or some intentional engineering work at play? Would like to hear some experts comments here!
Old 17th January 2019, 11:47   #715
Distinguished - BHPian

Considering the FE of the automatic is rather low in urban conditions, has anyone considered converting the car to CNG? NA petrol engine + torque converter automatic make it an ideal candidate.
Old 17th January 2019, 15:28   #716
BHPian

Quote:
We celebrated the Reincarnator's (our new Titanium+ AT Ecosport) 6th monthiversary with a drive to Hyderabad.
Congratulations on Reincarnator's half anniversary! I too completed 6 months in December and have similar observations as you. Till now I have always been careful to turn the headlights rotary knob completely off when I get out of the car at the end of the day. Also I lock the car only after everything is complete and I am finally walking away from it. Double click on the lock button on the keyfob makes the horn beep once if all doors and boot are closed and locked.

Last month I had an unfortunate puncture on the front left tyre with a construction steel rod jutting out of a culvert cover on a really narrow road. All the air went out immediately and I had to change to spare and come home. The puncture was on the shoulder area and repaired with hot patch from inside. Repair guy was confident that it can be put back and used regularly as before, but I have decided to use it as spare after going through some threads here on Team BHP
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 20:59   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Considering the FE of the automatic is rather low in urban conditions, has anyone considered converting the car to CNG? NA petrol engine + torque converter automatic make it an ideal candidate.
I thought about it. But dropped the idea due to following reasons:

1. Read somewhere that ford vehicles are not suitable for CNG.
2. Boot size is just adequate. CNG kit will make it too small.
3. Pickup is not very good. Will suffer with CNG.

My car is pretty new, so I will at least let it finish the 2 year warranty. By then if I find some brave souls who have gone the CNG route, I would consider.
Old 17th January 2019, 22:14   #718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
I thought about it. But dropped the idea due to following reasons:

1. Read somewhere that ford vehicles are not suitable for CNG.
2. Boot size is just adequate. CNG kit will make it too small.
3. Pickup is not very good. Will suffer with CNG.

My car is pretty new, so I will at least let it finish the 2 year warranty. By then if I find some brave souls who have gone the CNG route, I would consider.

I don't know.... I refuse to buy the argument that the engines of any one company are more suited or less suited to run on CNG than the rest. Its a simple NA petrol just like all others, with no turbocharging or direct injection or other high tech stuff. And they all run just as well with a proper sequential CNG kit and regular periodic servicing. I had my F10D WagonR for a good 1.5L km on gas, performance drop was nowhere as bad as people fear it would be. Boot space get compromised, obviously.

When the facelift was launched with the Dragon engine and TC automatic, I had strongly considered buying one and getting it converted to CNG for use as a daily runabout to replace my Jazz. But just couldn't fathom spending almost 14L on road for an Ecosport. That was too much money for the car in my opinion.
Old 18th January 2019, 05:08   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I don't know.... I refuse to buy the argument that the engines of any one company are more suited or less suited to run on CNG than the rest. Its a simple NA petrol just like all others, with no turbocharging or direct injection or other high tech stuff. And they all run just as well with a proper sequential CNG kit and regular periodic servicing. I had my F10D WagonR for a good 1.5L km on gas, performance drop was nowhere as bad as people fear it would be. Boot space get compromised, obviously.

When the facelift was launched with the Dragon engine and TC automatic, I had strongly considered buying one and getting it converted to CNG for use as a daily runabout to replace my Jazz. But just couldn't fathom spending almost 14L on road for an Ecosport. That was too much money for the car in my opinion.
Yes. I spent 13L on road, and looking at the space on offer and the FE, it hurts. A much bigger vehicle like Duster is cheaper. What makes ecosport cost so much is the build quality and the equipment on offer. Top end CVT of Jazz, a 4 meter hatch, costs 11 lakh. I feel Ecosport T+ AT deserves 2 lakh more than it.
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 08:03   #720
Senior - BHPian

Everyone is complaining about the FE of the ecosport petrol AT but no one complains of equally bad FE of the Hyundai Verna and Creta petrol AT. Just don't understand the logic. IMHO Hyundais have aways escaped the tag of fuel guzzlers right from the i10 days when they hardly gave 10 kmpl in the city for a compact city runabout.
SPARKled is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks