Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2019, 22:28   #1126
Distinguished - BHPian

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Congratulations! There is something about this car that makes it look reasonably fresh after all these years. In comparison, some of the other cars launched during the same period such as the Nissan Sunny, AN Honda City, Duster etc. look so dated and boring by now. I think some of it is down to the clean lines on the side and back and the proportions from the rear that are spot on. The front is gawky, but if you ignore that, it is not a bad looking car. The solidity of the build and paint quality add to the clean and tucked in look. And in the long run, white is the Color that carries on the best. I have a grey and that one just merged into the landscape.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 4th November 2019 at 22:30.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 09:24   #1127
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr1ngleo View Post

OEM seats are beige in colour, such a put off.
Congratulations. The Ecosport has always been a handsome car and still looks the best among the compact SUVs, in my view. I almost picked one up in Lightning Blue earlier this year, but for various reasons, purchased a different vehicle. It offers a good combination of build and decent performance.

However, I am really disappointed at the fact that they have decided to make the interiors beige. The all black interiors of the Ecsosport was one of the biggest draws for me, and they looked really classy. The beige just destroys the sporty look completely. Really dont know why Ford had to go the way of other manufacturers and tinker with what was already a handsome looking interior, absolutely no requirement for it in my view.

Anyways, everything else about this car is solid, and if you like the beige interior, then it is a non-issue. Hope you enjoy tons of lovely drives in the car. It is meant for highway cruising, so take her out on the open road as often as you are able to
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 17:42   #1128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Brought Falkor (Trend 1.5L MT petrol in Canyon Ridge shade) home yesterday.
One year & 10 days and 9,214 kms later, Falkor went in for her Second Free service session yesterday.

I had booked the service online last Friday, and had received a phone call 24 hours later from the nearest Ford service center, G.K. Ford. They gave me a slot on Monday morning, but due to a meeting which ended late, I got it shifted to Tuesday (yesterday).

Reached there at 10 AM. After the customary checks, I got these noted down with the SA:

1) Engine oil/oil filter to be changed
2) Air Filter to be replaced
3) AC Filter to be replaced
4) Wipers to be replaced
5) 4-wheel rotation to be done
6) Underbody and brake check-ups.

Falkor rode up the ramp for the last 2 points, while I was served tea in the customer lounge. Wheels were rotated while the brakes were thoroughly cleaned. The engine oil poured in was Mobil 10W30, and Falkor took in exactly 4.1 liters. Checked the existing Air/AC filters which were dark brown & black - an indication of the amount of dust and pollution in the areas which I travel frequently. Also checked the prices of the new filters, and I was pleasantly surprised. Attaching the pics.

On the ramp.
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-image15w.jpg

9,000 kms of dust covering the sleeping Dragon.
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-image14.jpeg

The things one finds under the bonnet.
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-image13.jpeg

Brake cleaning.
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-image12.jpeg

Air/AC filters and their condition.
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-image9.jpeg

Prices of the new parts.
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-image10.jpeg

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-image11.jpeg

Front wipers were replaced. This place gets rains for 6 months out of the year, so they had already done their part. The rear wiper's cost is a staggering Rs 3,381/-! The part is "Made in Germany" so I am sure import duties were added. I was advised to skip it till a more localised part was available. Since the rear wiper still has some life left in it, I let it be for now.

The washing and cleaning session followed. The boys did a fine job under my supervision. Total bill came to Rs 2,080/- which I paid by my credit card, and was out of the service center by 1:30 PM.

Thorough washing session.
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-image8w.jpg

Clean to a shining glow.
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-image6w.jpg

The Canyon Ridge glitter from very, very close.
(pic doesn't do justice to the shade)
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-image5.jpeg

A shot from the rear.
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-image7w.jpg

Boot door insides and attached plastic portions shined as well.
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-image4w.jpg

Final bill.
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-image2w.jpg

Smooth experience overall. Falkor still drives like a beauty.

One year summary - smooth as heck. Falkor is exactly the same as the day I drove her out of the delivery bay on 25th October 2018. No rattles, no squeaks. The Dragon breathes like a jet plane under the hood - purring like a domestic cat inside the city, and galloping like a pony on highway jaunts.

Overall FE is at 13.6 kmpl. I have noted that the in-city mileage hovers between 10.8 - 12.2 kmpl, while highway runs are around 16.4 - 18.9 kmpl.

The brakes and the grip of the EcoSport are phenomenal - the car has saved my life no less than 4 times between November 2018 and September 2019. Any other car, and I might have been history by now. Thank you for this wonderful machine, Ford. This is one satisfied Ford owner if there ever was one.
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 10:33   #1129
BHPian

Hi Fellow Owners,

I had a query reg the real world functioning of TCS (Traction Control System).

I have a 2018 EcoSport Signature (Petrol) which has ESC, TCS & HLA. I have observed on 3-4 situations where my Front wheels would spin on acceleration.
This happened in 2 types of situations:

1 - Sand surface - A diversion on the road called for changing lanes into a higher level road & the 2 roads were connected by sand/mud. My front wheels spun while I was at crawling speeds & TCS was ON (default setting)

2 - Wet surface - A very rough patch of road with huge potholes called for manoeuvering from my side to other side (2 Lane road) & again during the exit from a pothole, the front wheels gave up & spun.

I got out of these by some back & forth but it makes me nervous whenever I approach such roads now (given the kind of rains Pune has had this year & our roads, such situations are quite common)

Although EcoSport is no full-blown SUV, I was under the impression that TCS was supposed to take care of minor situations like these.

Do I need to Turn OFF TCS in such situations or is it something else that I'm missing.
Old 12th November 2019, 10:58   #1130
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question. Mods, please move it to appropriate thread.

My friend is looking for a compact MT SUV and has shortlisted on Nexon and Ecosport (70% city, 30% highway run). Being short he prefers one with driver seat height adjustment. He is bit confused between Petrol and Diesel variant. Diesel cars are expensive and need to be bought only if your running is extensive, with that he started looking for Petrol. Now comes the catch. Ecosport petrol is good but cries for city mileage, whereas Nexon is not so good on Petrol and cries for city mileage too (he checked multiple reviews). Then comes diesel, many reviews claim Nexon Diesels are better than Ecosport diesel and Nexon Diesel price could be comparable to Ecosport Petrol (Is it true?).

He is totally confused on this part. Could somebody please help me to solve my friend's confusion? Since I have driven none of these two, helpless in this case to make any comment.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 12th November 2019 at 11:11.
Old 12th November 2019, 13:49   #1131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
He is totally confused on this part. Could somebody please help me to solve my friend's confusion? Since I have driven none of these two, helpless in this case to make any comment.
Ask him to check the on road prices for both on car-wale.com

Link - Carwale onroad price check

The price given is exactly what showroom will quote him (without discounts). That should give him an idea of pricing. Both cars are running similar discounts right now.

As for petrol - both give similar mileages indeed. The Dragon in EcoSport is what I would choose if I wanted petrol. A powerful NA motor without turbo lag is always better than a turbo engine with similar 3 cylinders & vibrations.

As for diesel - the Nexon's engine feels much better on delivery & is noticeably more powerful. Mileage is also very consistent & good. If he compares the top model Nexon diesel XZ+ and EcoSport S Petrol, indeed the pricing will be similar. However, the EcoSport Titanium is very feature loaded and only misses out on AndroidAuto/AppleCarPlay in comparison with Nexon XZ+ & is cheaper in petrol.

The one important thing that will help him take a decision is a test drive. Take both to the highway for a 15-20 minute TD. Check which one lets him have a perfect driving position & gets the ergonomics right easily. The one car where he enjoys buying - is the one he should book. Very little to differentiate between these two.
Old 12th November 2019, 15:00   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
As for petrol - both give similar mileages indeed. The Dragon in EcoSport is what I would choose if I wanted petrol. A powerful NA motor without turbo lag is always better than a turbo engine with similar 3 cylinders & vibrations.

As for diesel - the Nexon's engine feels much better on delivery & is noticeably more powerful. Mileage is also very consistent & good. If he compares the top model Nexon diesel XZ+ and EcoSport S Petrol, indeed the pricing will be similar. However, the EcoSport Titanium is very feature loaded and only misses out on AndroidAuto/AppleCarPlay in comparison with Nexon XZ+ & is cheaper in petrol.
Yeah, I did check on Zigwheels and here are the on road prices for Bangalore (Doubt if these include discounts but give fair comparison)

Nexon D XZ+ Single Tone 13.16 Lacs
Nexon D XZ+ Dual Tone 13.41 Lacs

Ecosport P T Plus 13 Lacs
Ecosport P S 13.64 Lacs

Evidently four factors will matter. The discount, driving experience, features and service support post sales. Assuming similar discounts I feel Diesel Nexon is a better deal here considering better diesel average in city and build quality but it might get compensated by Tata's service quality and diesel car maintenance cost. A real complex decision. I have already discussed this with my friend and he is further confused. Let him take a TD and get back with his own opinion since all other factors are somewhat nullifying each other.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 12th November 2019 at 15:04.
Old 12th November 2019, 15:08   #1133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Assuming similar discounts I feel Diesel Nexon is a better deal here considering better diesel average in city and build quality but it might get compensated by Tata's service quality and diesel car maintenance cost. A real complex decision.
Tata & Ford service costs are pretty identical. Tata spares tend to be slightly cheaper. And their availability is good. (Original as well as counterfeit .)

As for regular maintenance costs - diesel is only marginally costlier once per year. The oil filter is a fractionally costlier & the diesel engine generally needs more oil quantity thus costing maybe 500 or so more. But that's once an year. In modern engines, the gap between petrol & diesel is minimal for regular maintenance (assuming no terminal failures).
Old 12th November 2019, 15:21   #1134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Tata & Ford service costs are pretty identical. Tata spares tend to be slightly cheaper. And their availability is good. (Original as well as counterfeit .)

As for regular maintenance costs - diesel is only marginally costlier once per year. The oil filter is a fractionally costlier & the diesel engine generally needs more oil quantity thus costing maybe 500 or so more. But that's once an year. In modern engines, the gap between petrol & diesel is minimal for regular maintenance (assuming no terminal failures).
I too have Nexon as the choice here but let him decide. Only concern might be (as I said "might be") the service support. I agree and am experiencing for my Tiago that Tata is very much improving on service side but getting that thought of bad service out of mind might take a while for people. (I am not one of them and have bought Tiago in May 2019. But yeah I too played safe by not shelling huge money for Nexon as a first Tata car ). May be next car for me.
Old 12th November 2019, 15:48   #1135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My friend is looking for a compact MT SUV and has shortlisted on Nexon and Ecosport (70% city, 30% highway run)....Then comes diesel, many reviews claim Nexon Diesels are better than Ecosport diesel and Nexon Diesel price could be comparable to Ecosport Petrol (Is it true?).

He may also add XUV300 W6/W8 to the mix. At similar prices, it is a great car to consider.
Old 12th November 2019, 17:52   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I did check on Zigwheels and here are the on road prices for Bangalore (Doubt if these include discounts but give fair comparison)

Nexon D XZ+ Single Tone 13.16 Lacs
Nexon D XZ+ Dual Tone 13.41 Lacs

Ecosport P T Plus 13 Lacs
Ecosport P S 13.64 Lacs
Both T+/S variants have quite a bit more features than Nexon XZ+. Especially when it comes to safety.

Might want to check out which of those matter to you, and compare the variant accordingly.
Old 13th November 2019, 22:34   #1137

@RavenAvi How does the Trend variant compare with the Titanium. Is it sensible to go for the Titanium? I feel that the Trend has all that I need, except fog lamps and projector headlamps. I don't care much for alloy wheels and DRLs.
By the way belated congrats on the car. It looks stunning in those pics. Even the dusty engine bay oozes character.
Spacetime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 16:32   #1138
BHPian

I'm surprised to know Ford silently removed Trend+ Petrol AT variant. So now if anyone wants to buy a AT EcoSport, he is forced to buy Titanium + variant!
Trend+ was having almost a good to have features except for jazzy frills. Not sure why discontinued.
Are they doing savings on the model or Trend+ was a less selling variant?
Old 17th November 2019, 13:02   #1139
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Apparently TDCi engines are too sensitive to fuel quality. What should be the ideal fuel station for refueling? COCO or state sponsored navratnas viz. IOC, BPCL, and HPCL? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Old 20th November 2019, 13:19   #1140
BHPian

Dear TBhpians,
My Ecosport is nearing 19k kms and I am planning for the 3rd service this weekend. Vehicle is 1yr and 3months old.
My query is about the various small vibrations/noises coming from the door panels, especially apparent when driving on not so smooth roads. Can these be fixed?
A slight noise can be heard from near the sunroof too. Not very sure about its location. Anyone else facing this?

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks