Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2020, 19:48   #1201
BHPian

Re: 2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankha007 View Post

1. Idle it for about thirty seconds to a minute, after every cold start
2. Do not be hard on the throttle after a cold start. Diesel engines generally take longer to reach optimum temperatures, compared to petrol engines.
3. After every trip, do not turn the engine off immediately. Give some time for the excited turbo to calm down, and you are good to go.
What will be the implications if these rules are not complied with? And after how long (KM's) will the issues start to manifest?

I am asking because I usually get impatient and hit the pedal once it is fired up? Of course, I go easy with the rpms after a cold start. While turning it off too, I wait for like 10s. Thanks.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th February 2020 at 23:56. Reason: Typo.
Old 10th February 2020, 22:44   #1202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr1ngleo View Post
What will be the implications if these rules are not complied with? And after how long (KM's) will the issues start to manifest?

I am asking because I usually get impatient and hit the pedal once it is fired up? Of course, I go easy with the rpms after a cold star. While turning it off too, I wait for like 10s. Thanks.
The only aim is to reduce wear and tear. Engine oils used in diesel engines are thicker than the ones used in petrol engines. So idling it for about thirty seconds after a cold start is a good idea in order to let the oil reach every part of the engine from the oil sump.

However, it must be kept in mind that this has no relation to warming the engine up. Idling to warm the engine up is harmful. Why? Any engine reaches its optimum temperature faster, when put under load. Say, idling an engine for about ten minutes brings it to X degrees, whereas driving (instead of idling) would make it reach X degrees a lot faster. So if we try to warm up a cold engine by idling instead of driving off, the parts inside the engine are running comparatively cooler for a longer period of time, increasing wear and tear. Also, idling for a long time in a cold engine leads to carbon deposition, especially if it is followed by a short duration trip.

For vehicles with a turbocharger, it is required to idle for a while before turning off the engine, in order to prevent damage to it by not cutting off oil supply when it is running at very high RPMs. The shaft in a turbocharger literally floats in the oil.

So to answer your question, you are doing things right mostly, however a tiny bit of idling after a cold start for the engine oil to circulate everywhere, is a good idea IMO. If the above are not followed, there will not be any immediate effect, but it will lead to increased chances of wear and tear to the components eventually.

Thanks & Regards!
shankha007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 08:56   #1203
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Have a white ES, and got the after market wheel arches with not so good adhesives. Because of which some of the black cladding did not stick properly and falling off. Wondering if I can get some good quality (3M ?) Double sided tape and do it myself? Looking for some guidance here, a rookie. Thanks in advance.
Old 16th February 2020, 11:45   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
Wondering if I can get some good quality (3M ?) Double sided tape and do it myself? Looking for some guidance here, a rookie. Thanks in advance.
You can use 3M double sided tape and stick it yourself. Try either of these products from 3M:

https://www.amazon.in/HappeStop-3M-A.../dp/B076TBHG2P

https://www.amazon.in/3M-IA120100531.../dp/B0156EYYOM

2nd one seems to be the strongest one which uses primer.
Funny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 12:59   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
You can use 3M double sided tape and stick it yourself. Try either of these products from 3M:

https://www.amazon.in/HappeStop-3M-A.../dp/B076TBHG2P

https://www.amazon.in/3M-IA120100531.../dp/B0156EYYOM

2nd one seems to be the strongest one which uses primer.
Thanks "funny" boy, have just ordered the first one, based on the reviews. Do you know a way of removing the already stuck claddings without breaking them? Something that can soften the adhesions...
Old 16th February 2020, 14:20   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Do you know a way of removing the already stuck claddings without breaking them? Something that can soften the adhesions...
This can be tricky based on how strongly it is attached to the body. One of the easiest way to soften the adhesion is to keep the car under hot sun to heat-up the body and then put warm/mild-hot water on the area (between cladding and body) and then try pulling the cladding slowly and see if you are able to peel it off without too much effort. Otherwise, to be on the safer side you will have to take it to experts like 3M, they should be able to take it off without damaging anything.
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 07:51   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez_70 View Post
Should I still go for the diesel Ecosport?
From the economics point of view, diesel does not make much sense unless our running is well north of 1200-1300 kms per month, especially with the miniscule price differential between diesel and petrol nowadays.

However, other than this, the diesel has a hard clutch and heavy driving characteristics, and throttle response is average given the high weight of the Ecosport. The heavy clutch makes it a not so comfortable drive, especially if you need to tackle bumper to bumper traffic on a regular basis. I can see that you are in Bangalore, where that kind of traffic is inevitable. In fact, last year I canceled my booking of the Diesel Ecosport for the above reasons, among a couple of others.

With low running, the Dragon petrol engine is a much better choice, better throttle response and pretty good to drive as well. The Diesel would be more suited if you are doing a lot of highway drives and your monthly running is high.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 17th February 2020 at 07:54.
Old 18th February 2020, 20:23   #1208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
However, other than this, the diesel has a hard clutch and heavy driving characteristics, and throttle response is average given the high weight of the Ecosport. The heavy clutch makes it a not so comfortable drive, especially if you need to tackle bumper to bumper traffic on a regular basis.
Just on the clutch part, while I have never driven the Petrol EcoSport, I don't find the clutch on my Diesel EcoSport to be heavy (2018 July model). It is wee bit stiffer, though. But I don't find it to be a deal breaker. Don't know if there has been any change to clutch since I bought mine.
styx71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 20:41   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
However, other than this, the diesel has a hard clutch and heavy driving characteristics, and throttle response is average given the high weight of the Ecosport. The heavy clutch makes it a not so comfortable drive, especially if you need to tackle bumper to bumper traffic on a regular basis. I can see that you are in Bangalore, where that kind of traffic is inevitable. In fact, last year I canceled my booking of the Diesel Ecosport for the above reasons, among a couple of others.
I had once driven a Ecosport diesel with a very hard clutch, something that you cannot manage in traffic. But that was a zoomcar, which was probably abused very badly.

However, I also took delivery of a Ecosport Diesel in Jan and I do not find the clutch to be hard. Infact I enjoy the the fact that the car starts moving as soon as you lift the leg of the clutch. In traffic it feels like an automatic.

The cost difference between the buying and maintaining an Ecosport is not much.

The factors that tilts in favor of the petrol motor are those 123 horses and 6 gears.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 22:26   #1210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
I had once driven a Ecosport diesel with a very hard clutch, something that you cannot manage in traffic. But that was a zoomcar, which was probably abused very badly.

The Ecosport Diesel's clutch grows harder over time. Mine was easily manageable till the fifth year, after that it started becoming unpleasantly hard. I have done only 27K Kms so far, so it is not about mileage it is just age. I replaced the clutch recently and it is now quite soft and easily to operate.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 09:45   #1211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
I did drive several examples before I reached a decision. Also, I personally was having some back pain issues which I did not want to aggravate with the relatively harder clutch on diesels. Agree that the clutch on new examples will definitely be much softer and easier to operate, though.
Old 19th February 2020, 09:54   #1212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

Have a white ES, and got the after market wheel arches with not so good adhesives. Because of which some of the black cladding did not stick properly and falling off. Wondering if I can get some good quality (3M ?) Double sided tape and do it myself? Looking for some guidance here, a rookie. Thanks in advance.
I faced this problem on day 1 itself, the dealer used some glue from body shop and since then it has remained fixed. It could be something permanent but I am fine with that

Quote:
With low running, the Dragon petrol engine is a much better choice, better throttle response and pretty good to drive as well. The Diesel would be more suited if you are doing a lot of highway drives and your monthly running is high.
I have the petrol, and find it struggling to handle the weight , how is the diesel engine in this respect?

Last edited by bottle : 19th February 2020 at 09:58.
Old 19th February 2020, 11:14   #1213
BHPian

Quote:
I want a fun to drive Ecosport.
You can refer to the below post from the pre-facelift EcoSport review thread. Having said that, as others have clarified, it's always good to take long test drives and take the call.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4401017 (Ford EcoSport : Official Review)

Quote:
Should I still go for the diesel Ecosport?
One other aspect that needs to be considered with the BS6 Diesel engines, is how often would you be hitting the highways - specifically for the required sustained high rpm runs for the Diesel Particulate Filter to work effectively. Related discussion : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...sparity-3.html (BS6 small diesel engines - Doomsday predictions v/s the reality & disparity)
styx71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 14:32   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
I have the petrol, and find it struggling to handle the weight , how is the diesel engine in this respect?
Diesel will be relatively better with the higher torque. However, as far as I remember during my test drives of the 1.5 Dragon engine, I found the engine to be pretty responsive when lugging around the heavy car. Especially, responses at lower RPMS and mid range was pretty decent.
Old 19th February 2020, 16:38   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Diesel will be relatively better with the higher torque. However, as far as I remember during my test drives of the 1.5 Dragon engine, I found the engine to be pretty responsive when lugging around the heavy car. Especially, responses at lower RPMS and mid range was pretty decent.
I am not sure , initally I was fine but at times I find I have to downshift and revv a bit to get things moving

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks