Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2020, 20:33   #1231
BHPian

Re: 2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Dear members, have a quick question. One of our relatives is planning to buy Ecosport AT. Before she does that, would like to check if the new updated model is due to launch in India this year? Heard some rumors about it a few months ago. Any tip/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks .
Old 18th March 2020, 22:29   #1232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
My question is if I apply more damping sheets on top of this, would it make difference?
What's the need though? Stock EcoSport is sufficiently insulated, IMHO.
Old 18th March 2020, 22:50   #1233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Dear members, have a quick question. One of our relatives is planning to buy Ecosport AT. Before she does that, would like to check if the new updated model is due to launch in India this year? Heard some rumors about it a few months ago. Any tip/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks .
Don't expect the next gen. Ecosport before 2022. It's currently in development in Brazil with a 2021 SOP, so end 2021/ early 2022 is the earliest India will get it.
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 10:42   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr1ngleo View Post
What's the need though? Stock EcoSport is sufficiently insulated, IMHO.
I actually want to make the car as silent as possible. It's not just the audio quality but also the road and wind noise that filters in. A silent cabin is so much more comfortable over those long drives.
The damping on the doors is just beginning, I also plan to damp the other parts such as the roof and floor eventually.
Old 19th March 2020, 10:56   #1235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Don't expect the next gen. Ecosport before 2022. It's currently in development in Brazil with a 2021 SOP, so end 2021/ early 2022 is the earliest India will get it.
Then is the current 1.5L engine already BS6?

Quote:
I actually want to make the car as silent as possible.
I love the hum though. Of course it is my personal choice but it makes the journey feel lively. Too quiet cabin makes me feel dizzy. My new Tiago vibrates too along with noise and I love that. Somebody said I get the diesel experience in a petrol car with Tiago
rajivtelang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 11:21   #1236
BHPian

Quote:
I actually want to make the car as silent as possible. It's not just the audio quality but also the road and wind noise that filters in. A silent cabin is so much more comfortable over those long drives.
The damping on the doors is just beginning, I also plan to damp the other parts such as the roof and floor eventually.
Well, not sure what to say. My ES is so insulated that any impact outside is hardly noticeable inside. I feel I need to be in touch with the vehicle all the time, and hence don't like the eerily silent cabin. This is diesel I am taking about. May be you are taking this too far. Fiddling with the stock doors might void warranty too. My two cents.
Old 19th March 2020, 11:43   #1237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Then is the current 1.5L engine already BS6?
The BS6 Ecosport (1.5L Petrol & 1.5 Diesel) have already been launched in January and are on sale.

More details here:https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...8-04-lakh.html (Ford EcoSport BS6 launched at Rs 8.04 lakh)
Old 19th March 2020, 22:59   #1238
BHPian

So finally dad bought the BS6 Ford Ecosport Diesel last month, February 16. Luckily I have been the primary driver till now. After a lot of thought and opinions from fellow BHPians, went for the diesel. In 1 month we've covered 2K kms and have been driving sedately keeping the revs below 2K RPM.

I took this car along the best and also the worst of roads (no roads at all) and the car has been absolutely amazing. The car still has amazing road presence and the interiors feel amazing.

Maybe because I am following the run in process religiously and will continue to do that till 2500 kms, I think the engine has not yet come into its own. Is it common to experience this with new cars? This being the first diesel I have owned and the turbocharger, I am being extra cautious.

Plan is to keep the car for a minimum of 10 years so went for the top end trim. The S trim looks amazing with black roof and those alloys. Kudos to Ford for listening to the customers and offering 16 inch wheels in the S unlike the 17 inches it offered before. The thunder variant still comes with the 17 inch though.

To speak about initial impressions, I am in love with this car. The solid built, the weight, the looks, the way the doors close with a thud sound, the interiors, features and most importantly the driving experience makes me smile every time I take this car out.

Dad doesn't like to have any restrictions or limits while driving and is waiting eagerly for the run in period to end and have a blast.

A few pictures:

The delivery day:

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-52378c89ce7e49d3a65bd911c78a0548.jpg

Beautifully designed rims..

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img_8991.jpg

The interiors are leagues ahead compared to the 2013 Ecosport. I was sceptical about the orange inserts when I first saw the official review. But I started liking it when I saw it in person especially now that I see it everyday.

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img_8989.jpg

I didn't really want to opt for the cover but felt it would be useful for protection against dust.

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img_9196.jpg

Completed a 500 km journey the next day. Needed a wash.

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img_9029.jpg

2K kms up and hope to have an amazing time for years to come.

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img_9553.jpg

Glad that the Figo is still with us. Will turn 10 this April and still going strong at 80K kms.

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img_9505.jpeg
Ibanez_70 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 10:18   #1239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez_70 View Post
So finally dad bought the BS6 Ford Ecosport Diesel last month...
In 1 month we've covered 2K kms and have been driving sedately keeping the revs below 2K RPM.
Maybe because I am following the run in process religiously and will continue to do that till 2500 kms, I think the engine has not yet come into its own. Is it common to experience this with new cars? This being the first diesel I have owned and the turbocharger, I am being extra cautious.
Congratulations !! To me, the Ecosport is still the pick of the segment if one enjoys driving.

You have well crossed the run in period and can go ahead and open up the 1.5 TDCi. Driving under 2k rpm will not give you the true feel of this engine. Take her to 2.5k rpm atleast before shifting to make use of the power band.

Quote:
.... The thunder variant still comes with the 17 inch though.
Nope, the Thunder now comes with the Titanium plus 16" alloys painted in black.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 01:21   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
So finally dad bought the BS6 Ford Ecosport Diesel last month, February 16. Luckily I have been the primary driver till now. In 1 month we've covered 2K kms and have been driving sedately keeping the revs below 2K RPM.
First of all congratulations on the Ecosport, even after so many years the Ecosport is still one competent machine. Wish you many happy miles with the Ecosport. I hope you have taken Extended Warranty, I would recommend getting the maximum warranty (i.e 5 years).

We too have a 2016 Ecosport titanium + TDCi in our home, currently the odometer reading is nearing the 70k km mark. So far, so good, even servicing costs have been cheap till now.

Quote:
Since your previous car was a Figo, I would suggest adjusting your driving style a bit for the Ecosport. The Ecosport D has very tall gearing, I would suggest driving in a gear lower than what you would in your Figo. Speed breakers need to be tackled in 1st gear, the tall second gear is useless under 18-20 kmph. I rarely go over 3rd gear within Guwahati city premises.

Here is a recent click of our Ecosport:

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-ecosport.jpg

Last edited by chiranjitp : 22nd March 2020 at 01:45.
chiranjitp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 11:22   #1241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe because I am following the run in process religiously and will continue to do that till 2500 kms, I think the engine has not yet come into its own.
Plan is to keep the car for a minimum of 10 years so went for the top end trim. The S trim looks amazing with black roof and those alloys. [/ATTACH]
Congrats, good choice. In fact, I recently had a look at the Ecosport in the showroom, and in my view, they have really spoilt the interiors of the Titanium range by including beige colours. The all black looked fab on the Ecosport. Consequently, if I were to pick the Ecosport, the only variant for me will be the S version, since it retains the all black theme.

The Ecosport has very tall gearing, and while the engine starts responding from around 1800 RPM, it performs best above 2000 RPM. No need to worry - you can easily start revving the engine beyond 2000 RPM and get a true feel of the engine.

By the way- what is the on road price of the S version in Assam? Did you get any discounts?

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 22nd March 2020 at 11:23.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 15:10   #1242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
First of all congratulations on the Ecosport, even after so many years the Ecosport is still one competent machine. Wish you many happy miles with the Ecosport. I hope you have taken Extended Warranty, I would recommend getting the maximum warranty (i.e 5 years).

We too have a 2016 Ecosport titanium + TDCi in our home, currently the odometer reading is nearing the 70k km mark. So far, so good, even servicing costs have been cheap till now.

Since your previous car was a Figo, I would suggest adjusting your driving style a bit for the Ecosport. The Ecosport D has very tall gearing, I would suggest driving in a gear lower than what you would in your Figo. Speed breakers need to be tackled in 1st gear, the tall second gear is useless under 18-20 kmph. I rarely go over 3rd gear within Guwahati city premises.

Yes, I have opted for the extended warranty of 5 years since the plan is to keep the car for a long time. Reliability is my top priority while making a purchase decision followed by the driving dynamics and the Ecosport fulfills both criteria really well. Good to hear from a long term customer about the flawless ageing of the car.

I would like to know if the clutch has got heavier over the years?? If it has could the service centre guys fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Congrats, good choice. In fact, I recently had a look at the Ecosport in the showroom, and in my view, they have really spoilt the interiors of the Titanium range by including beige colours. The all black looked fab on the Ecosport. Consequently, if I were to pick the Ecosport, the only variant for me will be the S version, since it retains the all black theme.

The Ecosport has very tall gearing, and while the engine starts responding from around 1800 RPM, it performs best above 2000 RPM. No need to worry - you can easily start revving the engine beyond 2000 RPM and get a true feel of the engine.

By the way- what is the on road price of the S version in Assam? Did you get any discounts?
The final On-Road price for the Diesel S was 13,08,000 including the cost of the spare wheel cover which was the only accessory we opted for.

Yes there were discounts. 50% of the insurance was waived off so the final price came down a bit.

I too would suggest you to opt for the S variant since you get the sync3 system which has now been made exclusive to the S. The audio unit of the lower titanium trims lags a lot although you get an inbuilt navigation.
Old 23rd March 2020, 00:53   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
I would like to know if the clutch has got heavier over the years?? If it has could the service centre guys fix it?
Yup, the clutch got progressively harder as the kilometers rolled by. Especially after 50k km the clutch got noticeably hard to operate, though there was no clutch slippage or any drop in mileage. The service center guys fixed it by changing the clutch assembly , which cost us Rs. 8782. Here is the link to my post: Clutch Overhaul (Ford EcoSport : Official Review)

Longevity of the clutch depends on how the car is driven & the road condition. I am sure with better care, the clutch could have lasted around the 80-90k km mark. My dad (the primary user of the Ecosport) has a bad habit of slipping the clutch a bit & lugging the engine sometimes in slow moving traffic.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 08:50   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post

I guess this is true for the higher gears. Gears 1 and 2 are relatively shorter with the engine pulling from as low as 1200 RPM. In the higher gears 2500 is a good spot to change if you're driving spritiedly. I'm more of a sedate driver and I generally change at around 2K RPMs.
Old 26th March 2020, 17:07   #1245
BHPian

Two days back, I was driving my Ecosport 2018 Titanium+ AT to get some bottled water. All of a sudden, I felt some jerks and saw a yellow spanner light (powertrain) on the dashboard. The gear shifts became very jerky and to play it safe I pulled over and stopped the car.

On restarting the car, the same warning indication lit up and after some time the yellow engine light also appeared. I turned the car around & managed to drive home and park the car.

With the car in "P", I revved up a bit and felt that the growl had become noisier, however, all 3 cylinders seemed to be firing.

Called up Ford Roadside Assistance, who said that they will need to take the car to the workshop asap; and said that they will call me beck in some time. Half an hour later, I got a call from a towing company and they said that it is not possible for them to tow the car due to the lockdown - so I have to wait till 15th April to see what next !

Will keep you updated - looks like a sensor issue to me.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks