Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2020, 18:01   #1261
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
Thanks for the wishes.

But for me, the indirect benefits were also significant. The dealer offered a decent 1.8L for my 9 year old nearly 1L km run Figo which had quite a few impending work items (new insurance, new battery, new tires, timing belt change, power steering hose change, some suspension work and enumerable dents). All this is worth more than 40K itself. Hence I ended up exchanging the Figo for new ES.
Congratulations on the nice new acquisition! Wishing you safety right now & happy safe miles with the car post lockdown. Pictures Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Sweet deal. 35K discount on BS6 variant is good. Did they reduce the ex-showroom by 35K? That would have led to corresponding lesser road tax?
I know! Look at the exchange value he got for the Figo in first place. With that sort of valuation, I'd have booked the EcoSport even without the 35K artificial sweetener .
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 18:47   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
We booked a fresh March 2020 manufactured piece and got it delivered just before the lockdown was imposed! Hope to enjoy it and keep it for a long time.
Congratulations. Which dealer in Pune? Do share the initial drive impressions. Would love to see how does BS6 TDCi fare vis a vis BS4, in terms of nvh, fuel economy, pick up etc.
spr1ngleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 22:55   #1263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

I have read at many places about the ecosport clutch getting hard as you clock more and more KMs.
Can the existing owners confirm their experience with the diesel facelifted variant (post 2017)?

Initial feel is one thing, but how the clutch feels after 30K-40K kms is of interest to me.
There is no doubt about the fact that the clutch does become hard after a few thousand kilometers. It is not a light clutch in the first place, but after use in daily bumper to bumper traffic, it definitely does become heavy and hard, and quite a pain to drive if your daily commute involves metropolitan traffic negotiations. Have two Ecosports in immediate circle of family and friends, and on both, the clutch has become considerably heavy - especially even more so when I compare to petrol cars which I drive myself. This is my personal experience. People who are used to drive diesels may find it more their speed.
Old 11th April 2020, 12:49   #1264
BHPian

Quote:
Did they reduce the ex-showroom by 35K? That would have led to corresponding lesser road tax?
Thank you. Yes, reducing ex-showroom price leading to lesser road tax contributed to a significant chunk of the discount. The rest of it came from reducing the listed mandatory (!!) accessories cost and extended warranty (4th and 5th year) cost. Though they're all labelled as corporate discount, dealer discount, special discount etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Congratulations on the nice new acquisition! Wishing you safety right now & happy safe miles with the car post lockdown. Pictures Please!

I know! Look at the exchange value he got for the Figo in first place. With that sort of valuation, I'd have booked the EcoSport even without the 35K artificial sweetener .
Thank you so much for your wishes. I'm mighty impressed by your Nexon ownership thread. I cannot even dream of chalking down such a comprehensive and well laid out write-up!

Yes, I was keen on exchanging the Figo with a Ford dealer as a Ford dealer would be able to address all the concerns in the old car in a fraction of the cost and still make profit selling it. Getting all this fixed and then selling the car myself would've been cumbersome and possibly not as profitable. I did approach 3 Ford dealers and went with the one who gave the best combination of exchange price and discounts. Fortunately, this dealer, Dhone Ford Karve Rd, happened to be the closest one from my home (less than a km!!).

I managed to capture a few pics when we rolled the car out for Gudhhi-Padwa puja. Attaching the same to this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr1ngleo View Post
Congratulations. Which dealer in Pune? Do share the initial drive impressions. Would love to see how does BS6 TDCi fare vis a vis BS4, in terms of nvh, fuel economy, pick up etc.
Thank you. The dealer was Dhone Ford Karve Rd. I'll share the driving experience as I manage to rake up a few kms. Right now the car is just locked-down!
Attached Thumbnails
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-front.jpg  

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-back.jpg  

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-leftprofile1.jpg  

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-rightprofile1.jpg  

RishikeshK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 15:55   #1265

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
Folks, had a scary incident a little while back with my EcoSport T+AT. I started the car for the first time in the day and had driven for around 5kms. Then, was waiting at a signal. I was not using the AC. One USB was plugged in (playing songs) and my iPhone was plugged in the other port (car play was showing connected). As I started moving ahead after green light, the vehicle suddenly switched off automatically and a warning message started flashing in the MID - "Full Accesory Power Active"
Hi bumping up an old thread. I had a similar experience yesterday. Had to step out for some groceries during the lockdown and my Ecosport which will complete 2 months on the 14th behaved exactly the same way. Was this issue finally resolved by Ford and affirmatively what was the cause for this? I cannot do much at this point considering the situation but will approach the dealer/Bhavana Ford as soon as possible.

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th April 2020 at 15:57. Reason: For easy readability please don't quote the whole post. Thank you!
Old 12th April 2020, 11:41   #1266
BHPian

Hello all. I am looking to buy a diesel vehicle and my heart and mind was set on Ford Ecosport S variant (13.60 lac OTR). However, with these tempting discounts on Nissan Kicks BS4 Diesel I am confused big time. It is a great value for money proposition (getting XV Diesel for 11 lac On road).
Reading the user reviews here I am slightly concerned about the ride quality on offer in Ecosport as compared to Kicks. Also, the cramped space for third person in the rear seat in Ecosport is a dampener. However, my concern for Kicks is its after sale service. Despite the A.S.S issues should I take the plunge into the Kicks?
Old 12th April 2020, 13:40   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
Hi bumping up an old thread. I had a similar experience yesterday.
I cannot do much at this point considering the situation but will approach the dealer/Bhavana Ford as soon as possible.
Hi, it did not happen again so I guess it was just a one-off case. I spoke to the service station guys and they said if it happens a few more times, we may investigate. But it never happened again so I had to do nothing. The MID message is the usual one which always shows if you press the power button without brakes to turn the battery mode on. Hopefully, it's nothing for you too.

BTW, congratulations for the ride and wish you many happy miles with it.
quickfox11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 14:01   #1268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hello all. I am looking to buy a diesel vehicle and my heart and mind was set on Ford Ecosport S variant (13.60 lac OTR). However, with these tempting discounts on Nissan Kicks BS4 Diesel I am confused big time. It is a great value for money proposition (getting XV Diesel for 11 lac On road).
Reading the user reviews here I am slightly concerned about the ride quality on offer in Ecosport as compared to Kicks. Also, the cramped space for third person in the rear seat in Ecosport is a dampener. However, my concern for Kicks is its after sale service. Despite the A.S.S issues should I take the plunge into the Kicks?
Hi, as an Ecosport owner who has also test driven the Kicks, I can confidently say that the Kicks looks and feels to be from one car class above the Ecosport. Major pluses I observed:
  • Kicks has a sixth gear, which is a boon for highway cruising
  • The K9K is superior to the DV5 in both power and torque and is able to cruise at a higher speed than the Ecosport without breaking a sweat - the comfortable cruising speed for the Ecosport is about 110 kph and then it starts to feel strained, where Kicks can comfortably cruise at 130 kph. I think both cars do about the same rpm (around 2500) at these distinct speeds. The main difference is the sixth gear and the increased oomph of the K9K.
  • The Kicks has a roomier interior, less claustrophobic due to larger windows as well.
  • Rear AC vents available in the Kicks

On the other hand, the Ecosport has 6 airbags and the Kicks has 4 - this makes a major difference from a safety standpoint. The Kicks also does not get leather upholstery till you go to the real top end variant above XV (XV-Pre). The Kicks look more butch and sophisticated in my view as well.

So, all-in-all, I think getting the Kicks at this price is a great bargain over spending so much on the Ecosport.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 12th April 2020 at 14:03.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 16:12   #1269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Kicks is way superior when it comes to comfort and ride quality. Ecosport is known for a stiff ride. If ride comfort is a priority, as I feel it should be, then Kicks is on a different level. Further, the Kicks engine is a tried and tested one, and therefore, mechanically it should be a reliable workhorse which should serve you well for many years to come.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 18:51   #1270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Kicks is way superior when it comes to comfort and ride quality. Ecosport is known for a stiff ride. If ride comfort is a priority, as I feel it should be, then Kicks is on a different level. Further, the Kicks engine is a tried and tested one, and therefore, mechanically it should be a reliable workhorse which should serve you well for many years to come.

Well I reviewed diesel Kicks a year back. Drove it comprehensively for more than 2000 kms, even took it to the hills for a test.
Kicks is way superior, the interior quality is far better. Diesel engine is way too refined, never liked Ford diesels (performance is good, I find it slightly noisy, not that one can't live with it, still). Best part in favour of Kicks - Suspension, it is well damped, not even a single thud, I must say. Not too soft, not too stiff. Steering being a electro-hydraulic is slightly on the heavier side, but was not uncomfortable on long drive. Even Has better features. You can find the review here -
shravan2k2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 13:42   #1271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
  • Kicks has a sixth gear, which is a boon for highway cruising
  • The K9K is superior to the DV5 in both power and torque and is able to cruise at a higher speed than the Ecosport without breaking a sweat - the comfortable cruising speed for the Ecosport is about 110 kph and then it starts to feel strained, where Kicks can comfortably cruise at 130 kph. I think both cars do about the same rpm (around 2500) at these distinct speeds. The main difference is the sixth gear and the increased oomph of the K9K.
  • The Kicks has a roomier interior, less claustrophobic due to larger windows as well.
  • Rear AC vents available in the Kicks
Some more pros:
  1. At 11L on road, it is a steal, period.
  2. 360 degree camera is a boon in city.
  3. no suspension intrusion in the boot, it's pretty neat and bigger than ES's.
If i were you, would have taken the plunge.

PS: i own a ES.

Last edited by spr1ngleo : 15th April 2020 at 13:48.
spr1ngleo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 14:06   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
Some more pros:

Not that I favor EcoSport over Kicks, but the other side to this would be following points -

1. Possible issues in spare parts availability in few years. Not everything is shared with Duster. And even if it is, the supply chain of Nissan would be different from Renault.
2. Uncertainty over Nissan's operations in India. Ford saved itself by JV with Mahindra.
3. Very few buyers for Kicks - unless the face-lift really takes off in the market.
ank.nsit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 14:20   #1273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Possible issues in spare parts availability in few years. Not everything is shared with Duster. And even if it is, the supply chain of Nissan would be different from Renault.
2. Uncertainty over Nissan's operations in India. Ford saved itself by JV with Mahindra
I think Nissan has re-committed to India with the announcement of the Magnite SUV - this is an aggressive launch with a price point starting 5.25 lakhs for an SUV the size of the Ecosport. Nissan is going to fish in its own pocket to subsidise this launch and I predict this will be a massive success. Indian consumers look for VFM and thr Magnite will give them all the VFM they need, plus a Japanese brand name to boot. Nissan has also promised one new product every year and there is the news of its Armada of SUVs being imported and sold here starting the the Patrol.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 15:42   #1274
Senior - BHPian

Similar to the opinions above, I'd say the Kicks is from a segment above and for the same money, it's definitely a better buy than the Ecosport.

The only reason I would not buy one is Nissan. They are literally non existent now and >50% of their dealers have shut down. Post the Covid-19 phase, this will only get worse.

My recommendation is to buy only if you have a good dealer in your city / town and a back up dealer in another town close by as this is the main reason the Kicks did not do well in the first place. I actually considered this when Dad was replacing his Ertiga, but there are too many unknown's with Nissan today.

Globally too they are in trouble with the whole Carlos Ghosn episode and I don't see them prioritizing India right now.
fiat_tarun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 16:02   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Some more pros:

Thank you.
I never had qualms about the vehicle. It is a great product. Just the service network and spare parts availability that I am worried about.

Also, XVD is not equipped with 360 degree camera.

Ride quality is unmatched for this vehicle.
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed