Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2018, 10:47   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Super review as usual .

My Figo turns 5 this year and I am so tempted with the new Ecosport. I really wish they had changed something on the rear as well to properly differentiate the facelift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Gas / lubricant sticker shows the various engine and gearbox combinations. From left to right - the 1.5L Dragon petrol + manual & 1.5L diesel + manual, 1.5L Dragon petrol + automatic & 2.0L diesel + automatic, 1.0L Fox (EcoBoost) + automatic and 1.0L Fox (EcoBoost) + dual-clutch automatic. Only the 1.5L Dragon petrol and 1.5L diesel are relevant to India:
Small correction on this post. The 2.0L GDI is a gasoline direct injection engine and not a diesel.

Last edited by ampere : 18th January 2018 at 23:49. Reason: Removed image from quoted post
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 12:18   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I do wish Ford had introduced a Diesel automatic as well. All their automatics are Petrol so that even the Titanium + diesel is MT.
Not just Ford but the entire cartel of car manufacturers used to refuse to give our market a diesel automatic in the lower or middle budget. VW was the first to give the DSG, and all others just gave the rough low budget AMT.
The fact is that a diesel buyer is a usually a heavy user, and more likely to pay for a marginally costlier variant having some practical comfort and safety features. He may not want a larger car as he is often travelling alone.

I would personally be very happy if my daily comute is by a moderately small Diesel AT(a proper AT, not an AMT), while a larger petrol manual is retained for ocassional long distance vacation trips. Exactly opposite of what the market offers.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 18th January 2018 at 12:20.
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 13:16   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Lot of discussion here and else where about Nexon AMT as a possible competitor to an Ecosport with a TC. But I guess the AMT itself makes the Nexon a non competitor. Wonder why people are even considering an AMT for any thing except the entry level segment.
If they launch Nexon top variant XZ+ with AMT it is going to be around 70-75 K (OTR) cheaper than manual Ecosport Titanium variant.

Titanium+AT = no competition due to safety kit.
Old 18th January 2018, 14:17   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy77 View Post
I heard we get the the chrome weather strips for this car. But I think its only for the LHD market because I have not any car with the chrome weather strips in my city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudh_85 View Post
Sir, I would request you to update us as soon as you are able to make that instrument cluster swap. A lot of us will be interested in the same. I, for one, surely am

Purely out of curiosity, was browsing Ford USA's website and came across this in the interior gallery (check attached screen shot). Looks like we are not the only market to get the atrocious MID. Some (probably lower) variant of the ES sold in USA also gets the same.

Attachment 1717819
The USA EcoSport Brochure is attached.

The chrome weather strips are present as seen on some of the pages. The USA EcoSport also comes without the chrome weather strips.

The MID looks a bit better that the Indian one (see page 10), however this instrument cluster may be only on the higher models.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ford EcoSport USA Brochure.pdf (6.73 MB, 1638 views)
Old 18th January 2018, 14:28   #65
BHPian

What ? Ecosport that's selling in the US of A has ten standard airbags.
Old 19th January 2018, 13:48   #66
BHPian

Now this is terribly confusing. I am more inclined towards CSUVs considering the potholed roads that we have, but I like refined engines, hence would like petrol ones over diesel ones. All I get in the segment is 1.2L WRV and Nexon (which is a 3 pot) and ecosport (again a 3 pot). Had Honda given WRV with 1.5 IVTEC, that would have been a choice. Among the lot, Ecosport 1.5L is the obvious choice (considering NVH are within limits as per the review). But then - it is not available in MT on Titanium plus, and AT top end is way above my budget.

So now the diesel is also in contention, which means, Nexon (and s-cross too) is in contention too.

I will be in the market in next few months for a new ride. As of now, Titanium plus TDCI looks compelling over petrol and diesel titanium. I can do well without auto wipers, auto headlamps, glovebox lights, leather seats and cruise control. But the "HLA, ESC, EBD and TCS" along with 4 extra airbags is what making me compelled to go above budget.

Question to Mods and experts - between petrol and diesel titanium, I am more inclined to go for petrol one and save 60000 bucks (I am a sedate driver and occasional adrenaline rush can be satiated by working through the gears on petrol too). Is it worth to shell out extra 150000 and go for Titanium plus (diesel)?

Last edited by Nav-i-gator : 19th January 2018 at 13:50.
Old 19th January 2018, 14:22   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Question to Mods and experts - between petrol and diesel titanium, I am more inclined to go for petrol one and save 60000 bucks (I am a sedate driver and occasional adrenaline rush can be satiated by working through the gears on petrol too). Is it worth to shell out extra 150000 and go for Titanium plus (diesel)?
Just how much do you drive? I bought a diesel because I take my car out on Chennai - Bangalore trips at least once a month for work, and the fuel costs are prohibitively high when I drive a petrol vehicle.

So if I paid extra for a Diesel car, I more than make up the cost during the time I keep the car. If you're using your car only for local use and an occasional highway trip, rather than regular long drives, buy a diesel. If your daily commute within the city is 25-30km ++ one way, then by all means buy a diesel. Else Petrol is just fine.
Old 19th January 2018, 14:24   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now this is terribly confusing. I am more inclined towards CSUVs considering the potholed roads that we have, but I like refined engines, hence would like petrol ones over diesel ones. All I get in the segment is 1.2L WRV and Nexon (which is a 3 pot) and ecosport (again a 3 pot). Had Honda given WRV with 1.5 IVTEC, that would have been a choice. Among the lot, Ecosport 1.5L is the obvious choice (considering NVH are within limits as per the review). But then - it is not available in MT on Titanium plus, and AT top end is way above my budget.

So now the diesel is also in contention, which means, Nexon (and s-cross too) is in contention too.

I will be in the market in next few months for a new ride. As of now, Titanium plus TDCI looks compelling over petrol and diesel titanium. I can do well without auto wipers, auto headlamps, glovebox lights, leather seats and cruise control. But the "HLA, ESC, EBD and TCS" along with 4 extra airbags is what making me compelled to go above budget.

Since Petrol AT is out of contention, diesel should be the choice without a second thought. The TDCI is a fairly silent unit and NVH is decent in Ecosport. Your observations are correct, Titanium + is worth it just for the extra safety kit it comes with and you wont regret.
Old 19th January 2018, 14:43   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Just how much do you drive?

If your daily commute within the city is 25-30km ++ one way, then by all means buy a diesel. Else Petrol is just fine.
More than the running costs, I prioritize driving comfort. My daily drive is <30KM overall (13000KM a year more or less). So, diesel is not a economic compulsion.

My daily drive is Chevy beat petrol and I am used to of it's super silent idling and smooth off the hook drive. I have stretched it to 130KM/Hr on access controlled and elevated highways a couple of times and though the engine sounds boomy (and the car feel stressed and unsettling) at such RPMs, the vibrations are still not there. In our other cars - vista TDi and Dzire DDIS, once you cross 80KM/Hr, it feels as if you are sitting on a heavy duty woofer.

Rather than engine sound, it's the coarseness of diesel (inherent vibrations) engines that I want to avoid. I agree that Ford (together with Hyundai) have the most refined diesels (Once I was standing besides a new - gen tuscon and the engine sound, even when it started off stand-still, was hardly "diesel like"). I would need to check it through test drives at some higher speeds as well as close to lugging RPMs (that's where the engine dampening is least subtle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Since Petrol AT is out of contention, diesel should be the choice without a second thought. The TDCI is a fairly silent unit and NVH is decent in Ecosport. Your observations are correct, Titanium + is worth it just for the extra safety kit it comes with and you wont regret.
Which engine among the two has least vibrations (felt inside, at low RPMs and high speeds too)? considering there is a mere 60000 Rs price differential among the titanium version of petrol and diesel. As I said, diesel vs petrol is not too much of an economic consideration, given how closely priced the two are.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 15:33   #70
BHPian

@Aditya,

Quote:
MID has a gearshift indicator that tells you to shift up or down to obtain the best fuel economy. It even shows which gear you should shift to, and that's not necessarily the next in line! As an example, if you are in 2nd and revving hard, it will tell you to shift straight to 4th. Even the AT gets one.
When myself and other bhpian Roms test drove the Titanium+ AT, during the gear shifts, we could not see the Gear shift indicators on the MID. When we raised this concern to the SA, even he himself admitted its not there in the car We're like surprised how this simple feature is missed by Ford when all other AT cars have it.

Can someone confirm this behavior?

Also the Trend+ AT does not have a S mode and so the paddle shifters. It comes with a L mode instead. Would like to hear from anyone who have used the L mode
Old 19th January 2018, 15:35   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which engine among the two has least vibrations (felt inside, at low RPMs and high speeds too)? considering there is a mere 60000 Rs price differential among the titanium version of petrol and diesel. As I said, diesel vs petrol is not too much of an economic consideration, given how closely priced the two are.
During idle and during cold starts the petrol has slight advantage however once settled in the vibrations aren't much in diesel though you will hear a mild diesel thrum. Also note that the 3-cylinder Dragon engine is no 4 pot(i-vtec/VVT-i).
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 17:00   #72
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

Finally my wait was over. Got delivery of Titanium+ Lighting Blue Diesel variant yesterday. Haven't see any Lighting Blue color much in Bangalore so far that too for T+. So very happy to get one of the earlier cars in this color.

Coming from prior petrol car (Hyundai i20 Asta) experience, the TDCi is awesome to say for a diesel motor with linear power delivery and great NVH levels.

BTW, so far whoever saw the car in flesh, the first thing they say or comment is - WOW - Superb Color The color itself is a head turner for sure.

Will be going for long drive in the weekend to Madras. Will post my first hand experiences next week.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 18:45   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In our other cars - vista TDi and Dzire DDIS, once you cross 80KM/Hr, it feels as if you are sitting on a heavy duty woofer.
Its not just coarseness of the engine, it is the poor quality damping / beading etc so that the cabin isn't insulated from outside noise.

Take your existing cars to a 3M and see what the result is. http://carcarestores.3mindia.co.in/O...tion-Treatment

Oh, make sure the air filter / fuel filter / oil filter on your car are clean, and you use synthetic engine oil to the spec your car takes - that itself will reduce engine noise and roughness by a substantial fraction.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 23:38   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Friends,

Finally my wait was over. Got delivery of Titanium+ Lighting Blue Diesel variant yesterday. Haven't see any Lighting Blue color much in Bangalore so far that too for T+. So very happy to get one of the earlier cars in this color.

Coming from prior petrol car (Hyundai i20 Asta) experience, the TDCi is awesome to say for a diesel motor with linear power delivery and great NVH levels.

BTW, so far whoever saw the car in flesh, the first thing they say or comment is - WOW - Superb Color The color itself is a head turner for sure.

Will be going for long drive in the weekend to Madras. Will post my first hand experiences next week.

-Ravi
Congratulations!! I'll be doing the PDI tomorrow, can't wait. I've booked the blue as well.

Last edited by suku_patel_22 : 19th January 2018 at 23:42.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 18:42   #75
BHPian

There are quite a few battery draining issue reported on the "EcoSquads - The GANG of New Facelift Ford EcoSport" group on Facebook.

@blurust and @Vish_Janu were the first to report battery drain issue on this group. For @Vish_Janu it was believed to be amplifier installation which was draining his battery.

Now on the FB group there are host of reasons being cited - Auto headlamp sensors, seat belt sensors, etc.

This is not acceptable from Ford. I think these issues are pertaining to AT so they should stop production and start only once these issues are resolved.
damager21 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks