Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2018, 12:46   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
@Aditya,

When myself and other bhpian Roms test drove the Titanium+ AT, during the gear shifts, we could not see the Gear shift indicators on the MID. When we raised this concern to the SA, even he himself admitted its not there in the car We're like surprised how this simple feature is missed by Ford when all other AT cars have it.

Can someone confirm this behavior?
For your reference, here is a picture I took when I had the Titanium+ AT with me.

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-dsc03197.jpg

Should clear any doubt.
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 16:59   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
For your reference, here is a picture I took when I had the Titanium+ AT with me.

Attachment 1719395

Should clear any doubt.
Thanks, Aditya. Yes we saw it when we used the S mode. However when you use the D mode, the indicator is not shown so not sure which gear it is shifting to. Did you observed that?
Should be the same for L mode too in Trend+ AT.
Old 21st January 2018, 17:32   #78

Quote:

Attachment 1719395

Should clear any doubt.
Look at the MID. The fuel economy is showing 21.3 / ltr. Amazing.
Old 21st January 2018, 18:15   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenjatti1 View Post
Look at the MID. The fuel economy is showing 21.3 / ltr. Amazing.
That's the instant fuel economy. It depends on the throttle position. When you decelerate, it goes to unbelievable figures.

Last edited by SDP : 21st January 2018 at 18:50. Reason: deacclerate - >decelerate
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 18:33   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When we raised this concern to the SA, even he himself admitted its not there in the car
Quote:
Aditya, please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the gear position indicator only works in S. At least so, in the pre-facelift.

Rudrah, did you drive in S?

Pre-facelift did not get the gear shift indicator, in S or otherwise.
Old 21st January 2018, 20:15   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Aditya, please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the gear position indicator only works in S. At least so, in the pre-facelift.

Rudrah, did you drive in S?

Pre-facelift did not get the gear shift indicator, in S or otherwise.
Yes, I tested the S mode with paddle shifters, that's when I could see the gear shift indicators. Once I shifted back to D mode, the indicator went off.

IMHO this feature should have been there in new version.
Old 22nd January 2018, 21:06   #82
BHPian

An amazing review with keen attention to the minutest of details, an exclusivity of Team-BHP review. Ford has done a commentable job with the facelift. The new model looks sharp and appealing. In my opinion, there should've been some changes at the rear end also (a new tail lamp assembly, atleast).
Ford had hiked the price of ecosport in the early 2017 with those 'complete jugaad' (nicely quote ☺) upgrades. Then they launched the new model without changing the price and with in two months, with effect from 03 Jan 18, ford increased the price of ecosport by 30,000 rs across all variants. These price hikes could badly hit the sales figures, as people are expecting lots of new models and facelifts of existing models in the upcoming auto expo.
Old 23rd January 2018, 21:32   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I tested the S mode with paddle shifters, that's when I could see the gear shift indicators. Once I shifted back to D mode, the indicator went off.

IMHO this feature should have been there in new version.
Maybe their logic is that in D mode you let the car transmission do all the thinking since that mode is automated & it shifts the gear rather than indicate it to the driver (& so no need for the shift indicators) & you take control over in S mode (or truly a Manual mode) & hence the gear shift indicators in those modes. Just guessing.

By the way, the review mentions a Manual mode, but I dont see a separate horizontal shift position (like in the Grand i10 AT) to use a dedicated Manual mode. So I would assume S mode allows use of those Paddle shifters & is the "Manual" mode too. Can you use the paddle shifters in the D mode too?
Slightly confused.

Last edited by anks_at : 23rd January 2018 at 21:37.
Old 23rd January 2018, 23:39   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anks_at View Post
Maybe their logic is that in D mode you let the car transmission do all the thinking since that mode is automated & it shifts the gear rather than indicate it to the driver (& so no need for the shift indicators) & you take control over in S mode (or truly a Manual mode) & hence the gear shift indicators in those modes. Just guessing.

By the way, the review mentions a Manual mode, but I dont see a separate horizontal shift position (like in the Grand i10 AT) to use a dedicated Manual mode. So I would assume S mode allows use of those Paddle shifters & is the "Manual" mode too. Can you use the paddle shifters in the D mode too?
Slightly confused.
Anks, D mode does its usual job as you said. However as far as I remember paddle shifters don't work in D mode.

BTW The S mode is only available in Titanium+ variant and so are the paddle shifts (+/-). Probably that's what the manual way to shift it meant The Trend+ AT gets L mode. Doesn't get manual options. No S mode and paddle shifters.
rudrah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 10:48   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Anks, D mode does its usual job as you said. However as far as I remember paddle shifters don't work in D mode.

BTW The S mode is only available in Titanium+ variant and so are the paddle shifts (+/-). Probably that's what the manual way to shift it meant The Trend+ AT gets L mode. Doesn't get manual options. No S mode and paddle shifters.
Just to clear the confusion, yes, paddle shifters do work in D mode.

The difference is that when you rev up / push the throttle and if you are on the lower gear, the gear automatically shifts to next higher gear without your intervention. I am sure the same should happen when the speed drops too. I have not tried it though. When this happens, manual mode gets overridden and you will see that the gear number disappears from the MID.

In S mode, the up or down arrow will show up and you are expected to up/down shift. Hope this helps.
Old 24th January 2018, 12:21   #86
BHPian

Quote:

Any suggestions as to how to drive the Trend+ variant missing a manual mode in terrains like ghats, especially while descending?

Apologies if this topic has been discussed to death. Thanks in advance.
Old 24th January 2018, 13:02   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprabu View Post
Just to clear the confusion, yes, paddle shifters do work in D mode.

The difference is that when you rev up / push the throttle and if you are on the lower gear, the gear automatically shifts to next higher gear without your intervention. I am sure the same should happen when the speed drops too. I have not tried it though. When this happens, manual mode gets overridden and you will see that the gear number disappears from the MID.

In S mode, the up or down arrow will show up and you are expected to up/down shift. Hope this helps.
This same behaviour is seen in the Honda City as well when the paddle shifters are used in D mode. It probably doesn't show the up/down arrow in S mode though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
Any suggestions as to how to drive the Trend+ variant missing a manual mode in terrains like ghats, especially while descending?

I think this is where the L mode comes into play. It holds the transmission to a lower gear giving you the extra torque / engine braking as required.
anirudh_85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 19:54   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post

The L mode if present (in any car) does not let the transmission shift, say, beyond the 3rd or 2nd gear (I dont know the correct number for Ecosport) thus providing engine braking while descending. If the descent is too steep you would still have to use the brake though.

Last edited by anks_at : 24th January 2018 at 19:56.
Old 25th January 2018, 18:33   #89
M35
BHPian

I am in the market for a reliable and fun-to-drive 4 seater with a high GC. Most likely going to make the booking on saturday for the Titanium Plus(D). The dealer at Palakkad gave me a quote of Rs.12.72L on-road which includes the dealer recommended insurance of Rs.36971 + (optional) Rs.9670 towards an additional zero depreciation insurance. I will be taking the insurance from outside.
If I take from outside, HDFC Ergo quotes around Rs.33k and New India Rs.20k, both Bumper to Bumper. Now my questions,
  • Does my choice of vehicle make sense?
  • I liked the Canyon Ridge shade. Any one on this shade ? Otherwise, might have to choose from black or white.
  • Which insurance should I go in for ? My mind says HDFC - private = faster and trouble free service !
  • The quoted on-road price includes 3rd year warranty with RSA. Is there any option to extend the warranty for anymore years ? Is there any need for it ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by M35 : 25th January 2018 at 18:34.
Old 25th January 2018, 19:17   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Now my questions,
  • Does my choice of vehicle make sense?
  • I liked the Canyon Ridge shade. Any one on this shade ? Otherwise, might have to choose from black or white.
  • Which insurance should I go in for ? My mind says HDFC - private = faster and trouble free service !
  • The quoted on-road price includes 3rd year warranty with RSA. Is there any option to extend the warranty for anymore years ? Is there any need for it ?

Thanks in advance.
If you are looking for sub-4 meter C-SUV, and have the budget, look no further Ecosport is easily the best.
Canyon Ridge color looks nice and I have seen it in person. That said I do not know how will it fair 2-3 years down the lane.
If you are buying insurance outside, you are most likely to lose cashless claims. See what more does HDFC offer in comparison to others.
The extended warranty was available, and should be available with new gen Ecosport. Would suggest you to go for it- Peace of Mind!
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed