Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2018, 10:21   #556
BHPian

Re: 2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Can any one suggest a suitable tempered glass screen guard for the 9 inch infotainment screen. Screen guard for the 8 inch sync unit is available in various online sites, but not for the 9 inch ones. Some DIY tricks will also do for time being.
Old 22nd July 2018, 18:45   #557
BHPian

Hey guys,

I recently had an extremely unfortunate incident happen to my EcoSport. An unmindful relative reversed the car when the rear left passenger door was wide open. It caused the door to hit a pillar and open further beyond its limit. As a result it now has a dent on it and the door won't close properly.

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-dent-1.jpeg

While the first image might make it seem it like it was a minor dent, check out the second image and you'll notice the door doesn't close properly anymore. For reference you can check the third image to see how the door is actually supposed to close.

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-dent-2.jpeg

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-dent-3.jpeg

From whatever I've heard from other Ford owners, Ford usually doesn't do much tinkering and insists on replacing the entire door panel. Is this true? If yes, how much would it cost me to replace the entire rear left passenger door? (Model: November 2017, Titanium, Moon Dust)

Also in such a case would it be make more financial sense to claim insurance or to pay it out of the pocket?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by theapollohelios : 22nd July 2018 at 18:49.
Old 22nd July 2018, 23:15   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYAM View Post
Can any one suggest a suitable tempered glass screen guard for the 9 inch infotainment screen. Screen guard for the 8 inch sync unit is available in various online sites, but not for the 9 inch ones. Some DIY tricks will also do for time being.
You can have a look at this -

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07FMCHRYQ/..._DhmvBbC16C6A4

Else you can buy a screenguard for 10" tab and cut it to size and use it.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 00:15   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you need a tempered glass there? You are not going to drop the screen!!
Old 23rd July 2018, 07:10   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
Why do you need a tempered glass there? You are not going to drop the screen!!
Correct. But a 4 year old kid travelling on board cannot be considered as a lesser threat to the screen. Won't you say.
Old 23rd July 2018, 07:58   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Correct. But a 4 year old kid travelling on board cannot be considered as a lesser threat to the screen. Won't you say.
Kids should be seated at the back, in child seats. He won't be able to reach the screen from back there.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 21:49   #562
BHPian

Yesterday I drove my friend's 3 month old Ecosport 1.5L Titanium (Dragon engine) to Shillong (Meghalaya) & back, total distance was around 200km. We have a 2016 Ecosport Titanium + diesel in our home, done around 37k km. I have written a small review of the new Ecosport.

Engine:
  • After a long time, here is a petrol engine that has impressed me.
  • The Dragon engine has good low end torque coupled with sharp throttle response. Even up the rev range, the engine pulls nicely. Flat out acceleration is also good. The diesel engine has a noticeably better mid-range punch (due to turbo), but the petrol engine is more fun (& eager) to rev.
  • The gearing is spot on, neither too short nor too tall. Most of the new cars tend to have tall gearing (for fuel efficiency gains), which means constant gear changes & slow acceleration. The Dragon engine hits the 100 kmph mark @ 2700-2800 RPM in 5th gear. This car passed the 2nd gear speed-breaker test with flying colors, in comparison the diesel engine fails this test (due to tall gearing).
  • The clutch has a long travel like the diesel engine, in comparison the Marutis have a really short travel. The clutch on the petrol is noticeably lighter than its diesel counterpart & doesn't have the strong return back action of the diesel's clutch.
  • For a 3 cylinder motor the NVH are good, on the move one can't simply tell about the missing cylinder. The engine noise doesn't filter inside the cabin, at least in low revs. While idling, small vibrations are felt on the steering wheel & pedals, especially with the AC on. Then on the move there is a slight lugging/knocking kind of sound below 1400 RPM along with a slight vibration. These are minor faults which I found only because I was looking for them, a non petrol-head won't notice these faults. Still something like the Elite i20 petrol is in a different league when it comes to refinement.
  • I get to regularly drive the old Fiesta (my cousin owns one) with the legendary 1.6L Duratec petrol engine. The new Dragon engine might be good, but still isn't a match for the Fiesta engine. The old 1.6L feels faster, has better NVH (4 cylinder), sounds better. Though with regards to fuel efficiency, the new Dragon engine should be better.
Changes in the facelift:
  • First of all the facelift feels like a proper facelift. Almost all the switches & knobs are different, the dashboard is all new etc. It simply feels like a new car. This is way better than Maruti, where we still get the PW panel from the 1st gen Swift.
  • The new touchscreen based HU simply rocks, the resolution is brilliant, the interface is lag free, and is loaded with features. Somehow the speakers didn't sound as good as our car, maybe the equalizer needs some tweaking.
  • The new steering wheel is awesome to hold, is fully leather wrapped unlike the older steering which was only leather wrapped at places. Even the leather felt premium to touch, it is more soft unlike the hard to touch steering from the older model. The controls for the MID has moved from the headlight stalk to the steering wheel.
  • The new car gains auto folding ORVM, a feature I sorely miss in our car.
  • The key-less entry & go system has been modified, you no longer get a decided button to press, instead there is a sensor. The other improvement which I liked is that the car goes to accessory mode after you switch off the engine, until the driver's door is open, after which it shuts down everything. See, in a normal key equipped car, one can can switch off the engine, & move the key only one step back to the accessory mode, which means things like the ICE isn't interrupted. Now in the old Ecosport once you press the engine start/stop button, everything shuts down along with the engine. This means the HU stops every time you shut down the engine, you have to manually restart the HU, this thing gets worse if you were listening from the Bluetooth, as it needs to be paired once again (takes around 5 second). It is nice to see Ford improving these smaller things .
  • The rear seat gains a armrest which is good. On the flip side, the seat reclining feature has been removed.
  • What were they thinking when they removed the brilliant front armrest which was fixed to the seat & hence used to suit even the shorter folks. It is replaced by a stupid fixed armrest which simply isn't useful to most of us. I really missed the armrest during the drive, I extensively use this feature in our car. The adjustable lumbar support is also missing from the new Ecosport.
  • The new projector based headlights look brilliant. The twin barrel setup is also very good in lighting the road. My friend commented that he would have liked a blue colored light from the headlight like the Hyundais & Marutis, the blue light looks cool according to him.
  • Rest of the things like the ride quality & handling are same as the old model. Hence, the ride is still a bit a stiff, especially at low speeds.
  • Most of the Fords have a handbrake that requires some strength to operate. In the new Ecosport they have changed the handbrake, made it a bit shorter & thinner. The result of this change has made the handbrake very awkward to operate, after driving 200 km in the hills my left arm started to hurt a bit. The older one never had this problem, the handbrake on the older Ecosport was longer & meatier.
Final Verdict

The Ecosport is no doubt a good product, with the improvements the new Ecosport moves the game forward. I would say among the sub 4m SUVs, the Ecosport is still the best. As for the choice of engine, the new 1.5L dragon is really good. Still, the 1.5L diesel would be my choice as it is only 40-50k expensive, is easily more fuel efficient, has higher resale value. I would only recommend the 1.5L petrol engine if the running is very low.

Photos:

The aggressive front:

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-eco-1.jpg

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-eco-2.jpg

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-eco-3.jpg

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-eco-5.jpg

The boring instrument cluster, the new one gains a temperature gauge (missing in the old one):

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-instrument-cluster.jpg

The new refreshed interior:

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-interior-1.jpg

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-interior-2.jpg

The meaty steering wheel:

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-steering-wheel.jpg

The (almost) unchanged rear:

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-rear.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 23rd July 2018 at 23:03. Reason: Typo
chiranjitp is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 18:08   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
How's the real-time mileage turning out to be in city b2b traffic? Claimed mileage is around 14.something, but in real world is it in single figures(<9kmpl)? Highways I understand should be around 11-13kpl but usually AT is the preference for in-city crazy traffic conditions, hence the query.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
It is by far the most expensive to run vehicle I've owned so far, but I don't mind because, even to this day, it simply has no competition that is equally well equipped, is as much of a pleasure to drive, has similar build quality and ground clearance and is as safe
This is precisely the reason why I bought the Titanium + 10 days ago. I had the similar requirements as yours and was confused between a Brezza ZDi+ AT and a used Creta Diesel Auto. I have recently owned an Audi S3 and the ES sits very close in terms of build quality and features (on T+). I absolutely hate the low FE of the ES but that's what you get if you want to be in a comfortable, well built tank that is riding couple of feet above everyone else . If running cost is your concern go ahead with the Trend; comparing it to i20 is comparing Apples and Oranges not just in terms of size, build quality and refinement, but also the horses this car produces. You also won't find much difference in FE. If FE is your concern and don't mind the GC, explore the AMEO. Nothing beats its VFM tag in my opinion.

Last edited by ampere : 10th August 2018 at 19:59. Reason: Formatted
kanishka88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 09:23   #564
Senior - BHPian

Had a chance to test drive the new Ford EcoSport Titanium + AT. I'm really impressed with this engine and gearbox combo, it's reasonably refined and the gearbox is quite quick. Paddle shifts are a plus but never got around to use them. Took the car up to 80 kmph, it was a breeze with the car feeling very steady over the roads. The car rode on 17 inch alloys, could feel the the stiffness. The newer versions are shod with 16 inch alloys which will result in a better ride quality. The SA mentioned that Titanium + comes with automatic IRVM, the mirror did seem chunky, so will have to take his word for it.

Most of the touch points are nicely laid out, had no issues in finding a good driving position. Loved the steering wheel, it was exactly like the Ford Focus I've driven in the UK. The buttons are backlit in a cool blue shade, Kudos must be given to Ford for providing illuminated power windows and mirror control button, this is such a basic thing but most manufacturers are busy pinching pennies. The seats are also rather comfy, I could fit myself in the back with the drivers seat adjusted to my height (5.10). Yes, the car is quite narrow, fitting 3 full sized adults will be a squeeze.

The Titanium + boot floor can be adjusted across 3 levels, the seats can be folded 60:40 to provide a completely flat loading bay. Such a nice feature to have, it's these small things that can elevate the ownership experience. The boot is reasonably sized at 352 litres.

The 8 inch Sync 3 HU is a class apart, it's so smooth and fluid, just like any modern smartphones. The sound quality was nothing to write home about, the Nexon remains a benchmark. No ride impression is complete without mentioning the absolutely disgusting and low rent dials and MID. Dunno what Ford was thinking, this one item pulls the entire interiors down. I could not bear to look at it, it's such a deal breaker for me. I wonder how much more would the dials and MID from the S variant cost? 5k?

The OTR cost in Bombay is around 13.54L, with a cash discount of 30K plus some corporate discounts and getting your own insurance, I'm sure the car would come around 12.9L.

I quite like the car and have kept in my shortlist. C'mon Ford, change the MiD and you have a ready buyer.

Cheers

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 26th July 2018 at 09:26.
hiren.mistry is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 16:56   #565

Hi Guys!!

Just got my 1st service done. 2 days prior to the service got my tank full and still getting a mileage of 8.4 KMPL based on TFTF method. Servicing was good and smooth.

Unfortunately somewhere during the servicing process one of the service team member would not have realised this but while opening the front passenger door he must have nicked it on a rough wall or something similar and there is a small area where the paint has chipped off.

When the car was handed over to me as usual I do a normal look around at the car to see if the cleaning was spot on and if any areas are missed out. Upon finding the chipped of paint I showed it to my advisor. I was surprised there was no denying the fact that he did not try and blame it on me (the guard also asked him whether he did a check while making the job sheet and his reply was that he did it in a hurry), infact he apologised and also said he will order my paint colour and get the touch up done. Also the manager of customer relationship was aware of this situation as I apprised her of the same and just today I received an apology letter for the same and asking me to bring the vehicle to fix the chipped area.

I am happy with the way they are dealing with all this but balantly everyone in the team is asking me to give a 10 out of 10 rating when Ford calls up. I would have anyways given them 10 for the way the handled it, but asking for 10 out of 10 even on an email, I feel is out of place. But guess this is the car industry standard. Below is the pic of the chipped paint and also an email.

Nevertheless I am happy with Ford and the team, just hope my mileage figure improves. Happy motoring everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-screenshot_20180804165446_gallery.jpg  

2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-screenshot_20180804165600_gmail.jpg  

Old 9th August 2018, 23:26   #566
BHPian

Hi All,

I have been contemplating buying a sub 4 meter petrol compact car for a couple of months now. To be driven in the city (not for daily commute), and highway drives. Reading reviews, talking to friends, getting test drives, prices to fit the budget and family's approvals landed me to THE only option: Ecosport Titanium Variant

Reasons:
1. Price Point - Not exactly bang for bucks but the best option due to the second point.
2. Safety Features - That was the prime concern. And it ticks all the boxes, with some variation among variants.
3. Build Quality - Ford is known to build safe cars. Helps with the second point. The doors give a solid thudd sound (similar to VW)
4. Looks and Interiors - The facelift changes have enhanced the beauty of this beast. Feels young and sporty. Interiors feel plush. Although I like the Nexon interiors better.

The Other Choice:

The new Creta looks fabulous. A real head turner!! It's also more spacious. In city it drives really well, soaking up the bumps! The clutch is smooth. But the top end with all the safety features was going to be a tough stretch, and still I was unsatisfied with the features I would be getting at their price proposition (e.g. no rain sensing wipers, no ventilated seats, no AT top end, no front sensors, brake issues - Hyundai is really enjoying their market position at the moment!)

Being a person who loves driving, the launch of the Ecosport 'S' sealed the deal. Powerful ecoboost engine, Sunroof, better looking MID display, TPMS, introduction of an additional gear!! What else could you ask for? It was finalized immediately. Even the auto vloggers gave it a thumbs up. (We would be very soon getting our own Team BHP review of it )

Met the dealers in Pune. Talera Ford did not have that model for test drive. Hmmm. Looked at the display model. Felt good about it.

Went to Dhone Ford. They had the Ecoboost S model for test drive. Had an extensive TD. Twice! Took it to a long bad patch of the road which was not built yet plus it was raining on and off. Perfect conditions. Also drove on the highways.

Obsevations:
Disclaimer - I do not own an Ecosport, nor I have driven one extensively to do any kind of comparison with the previous models.

Positives
1. The suspension felt alright. Was a bit bouncy on the bad patch. Could feel some body roll. But it did not make me uncomfortable. It felt secured inside the way it was handling itself. I was able to quickly maneuver around potholes.
2. The low end turbo lag had been on the back of my mind all the time. So I deliberately tried to pull off in second gear at low speed bumps multiple times and it did not disappoint. Did not try that from standstill position. But it was a dead end in third.
3. I could not push it much on the highway due to traffic but was satisfied with its punch post 2500 RPM. It just pulled and pulled. Realized why people love this engine. I could overtake in third moving from 40Kmph to 80-85Kmph with ease. Good feedback from the steering.
4. Braking was good. Tried with both Traction Control On and Off.

Negatives
1. The sunroof is really small. Could not fathom how it could be used. Probably a good view for rear seat passengers. Personally I do not see a use of it in our weather conditions.
2. The sporty interiors were just okay. Felt the orangish tone was a bit loud inside. Kinda everywhere! While driving it did not interfere but while just sitting still and admiring the interiors, I could feel it. The leather-clothing mixed seats were taking away the premium feel. But that's just my preference. I actually loved them in pictures!
3. I drove the car with both AC on and off. Wanted to check the low end pull in different conditions. Without AC - alright. But with AC on, it suffered. Not every time, but while I was taking U-turns or bumper to bumper traffic, the clutch was pushing back hard and I felt the hard knocking/lag/jerk.

Took note of everything, still it was the best option available. Spoke about the availability, offers if available etc and came back. Thought of contacting the other dealer for the best deal.

Started finalizing the finances.

Told everyone in the family about the choice.

Even got a call that I can get a car was getting unloaded soon and it could be mine!!

But..

Something was not clicking. Something was pinching me. I was not sure what. I told my wife I am not feeling it. She said if you are not happy, lets get our all time favorite Honda City. But it was not about the Ecosport. I realised 2 things:

1. The clutch was really hard and a bit long, which needed to be pressed really deep! The 3rd negative point mentioned above also meant tougher driveabilty for other family members. I realized I will be stuck with all the errands, big or small, and my wife will give up after few days if she won't enjoy the drive. Also, the 16" vs 17" tyre debate was always a deterrent.

2. I could not live with that interior. I had even asked the dealership if I could remove the orange trims to replace with usual matt/piano black but he said these things are company fitted and do not come as accessories. The other plan was to put some seat covers. But after paying so much money, put some more??

Decided not go ahead with the booking and felt immediately at ease.

Long story short, got the T+ AT model for test drive. All black interiors were charming. 1.5Lt Dragon petrol was smooth. Tried the S mode, it was as expected. Liked the video game kinda feel of the paddle shifts.

Result - Ford Ecosport Titanium+ AT Booked!!

With AT, the compromises are - fuel economy, punchy Ecoboost, the fun of manual shifting for sudden power requirements, sunroof, better MID. How to deal with it?? Booked a bike for myself!!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th August 2018 at 00:34. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post.
quickfox11 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 06:44   #567
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
2. I could not live with that interior. I had even asked the dealership if I could remove the orange trims to replace with usual matt/piano black but he said these things are company fitted and do not come as accessories. The other plan was to put some seat covers. But after paying so much money, put some more?
Congratulations for the new car. Hope you get the delivery soon. For those who don't like the orange trim, you guys can get it wrapped in black by any professional. The second option is to remove the trim and colour it black. Even I personally don't like the orange colour of the trims.

Last edited by ampere : 10th August 2018 at 20:00. Reason: compacted quoted post
_nitink_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 19:51   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nitink_ View Post
Congratulations for the new car. Hope you get the delivery soon. For those who don't like the orange trim, you guys can get it wrapped in black by any professional. The second option is to remove the trim and colour it black. Even I personally don't like the orange colour of the trims.
Thank You! PDI planned for tomorrow.

About the wraps, I am not very positive about their finishing and durability after a couple of years. Plus it will take away the feel of originality.

About the vehicle, I received the VIN from the dealer and after entering it in the FordEtis website, all I got was the make and model:

EcoSport 2013-, 1.5L Dragon XZ (120PS), Diamond White No.2

So, I also got the Form 22 to cross check the vehicle's manufacturing date. Is there anything else I should check in this form?
Old 10th August 2018, 20:33   #569
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
About the vehicle, I received the VIN from the dealer and after entering it in the FordEtis website, all I got was the make and model:

EcoSport 2013-, 1.5L Dragon XZ (120PS), Diamond White No.2

So, I also got the Form 22 to cross check the vehicle's manufacturing date. Is there anything else I should check in this form?
I too faced a similar situation. I just registered myself there with fake details and as soon as I was able to login, I received each and every detail about my Aspire by entering the VIN. I hope it works for you.
_nitink_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 21:56   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nitink_ View Post
I too faced a similar situation. I just registered myself there with fake details and as soon as I was able to login, I received each and every detail about my Aspire by entering the VIN. I hope it works for you.
Best Tip Ever!! I guess it should be mentioned somewhere in the VIN thread for Ford vehicles if not there already!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks