Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2018, 11:48   #46
BHPian

Re: Renault Captur : Official Review

Hi Anilntny,

I watched many of your Captur review videos in youtube before buying one. You had given a lot of information on the features about the car. Thanks a ton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
It is not mandatory to insert keyfob into the slot. Even for starting ignition, it is not needed. It is just a slot for storage with some added functionality.I always keep my Captur key in pocket and never put it into the slot.
As I own a RXE version of the Captur the key fob has to be inserted in the slot to switch on the ignition. Only when the key fob is in its slot the start/stop button gets activated.
sameer sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 12:01   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Hi Anilntny,

I watched many of your Captur review videos in Youtube before buying one. You had given a lot of information on the features about the car. Thanks a ton!

As I own a RXE version of the Captur the key fob has to be inserted in the slot to switch on the ignition. Only when the key fob is in its slot the start/stop button gets activated.
Thanks for your kind words.

I never knew it is mandatory to insert keyfob for RXE and RXL, thanks for letting know.
anilntny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 12:51   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Hi Anilntny,

I watched many of your Captur review videos in Youtube before buying one. You had given a lot of information on the features about the car. Thanks a ton!

Weird because in Fluence also inserting is not required, Renault must be doing a cost cutting exercise.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 08:27   #49
BHPian

One major worry regarding Captur is the reliability of the Renault 110 ps engine in Indian conditions. There are quite a few instances reported here about injector failures due to impurities in Diesel.

Does anybody know if this has been addressed in the Captur?
Old 18th March 2018, 09:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

If any new buyer is willing to spare his vehicle for few hours for inspection, it can be checked. But still an official statement by Renault would have been great. A voluntary recall of possibly affected vehicles would have boosted their brand image.
Old 18th March 2018, 14:21   #51
BHPian

Captur is a hit in Russia, why do India hate it so much? Or will it survive the litmus test of time, in India?

https://www.google.co.in/amp/www.liv...aign=googleamp
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Captur : Official Review-4faad21aa87e459b981b1540634febda.jpeg  

anilntny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 00:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

Great review! A few observations from my side, being an ex-Lodgy owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
One major worry regarding Captur is the reliability of the Renault 110 ps engine in Indian conditions. There are quite a few instances reported here about injector failures due to impurities in Diesel.
Very true. The 110PS variant of the K9K diesel isn't as reliable as the 65PS variant in the Logan. My 110PS engine was marred with problems that the service advisors themselves couldn't fix or diagnose. It's a great performer but not as reliable.

* The interiors are a let down. Renault don't seem to have a clue about designing an aesthetically pleasing interior. That said, there are some remarkable elements on the interior that I absolutely love: the backlit cabin lamp switch is a classy touch like on aircrafts. Sheer number of cabin lights - the more the merrier and Renault hasn't been stingy. The soft lit cup holder on the centre console is another cool touch. The instrument cluster, although funky in design, doesn't seem very functional.

* On the outside, love the LED lamps and the DRLs. The tail lamps are cool too and I particularly like the 3 LED strips that are also visible from the side of the car. It's a safety feature too and very few cars have it, like the XUV500.

* The tuning of this engine is a complete let down. I'm sure they did this to compensate for better bottom end performance given the additional weight but the motorway performance is absolutely dismal. When a diesel car produces maximum power at 4000 RPM or over, it's usually a relaxed cruiser. This was the highlight of my Lodgy and even the Duster.

The Captur though, sadly is tuned to produce 108 BHP at 3850 RPM. This is definitely a recipe for a loud and tight engine that doesn't like highway cruise speeds. Yes, it will get to those speeds faster but it'll scream while cruising at those speeds. 100 kmph at 2200 RPM and 120 at 2600? Seriously? That's made the 6th gear pointless. There are cars that do the same speed at much lesser RPM in 5th! My Lodgy used to do 100 at 2000 RPM and 120 a shade under 2500 RPM and what a cruiser it was! Seriously, I can overlook every other flaw but to botch up engine tuning like this is insane.

So, Renault has rendered the 6th gear absolutely useless by not providing optimal tuning and how! Any car with a 6 speed gearbox means more gearshifts for the driver but the trade-off is the comfortable relaxed cruising that comes with it that makes the frequent gearshifts worthwhile. Not so with the Captur I'm afraid. Also the torque has been further lowered on a heavier car than the Duster! Doesn't make sense to me at all. At least if the lowered torque was produced at a much lower RPM, it'd have made sense. But no. It's 240Nm at the same 1750 RPM!

A lesson on how to ruin a beautiful diesel engine with daft tuning is right here folks! I'm sorry if I've offended anyone but I'm angry because this is a beautiful engine that's been ruined by this tuning.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 19th March 2018 at 00:34.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 20:15   #53
Senior - BHPian

Renault is expected to launch a CVT variant of Captur by July, got this information from reliable sources.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 13:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Our suggestion - the Captur should have been the new 'Duster' for India and badged as one. After all, the Duster brand now enjoys good recall. Plus, the current Duster has gotten old and doesn't have a long life ahead of it anyway. ..
I think before commenting this way, one should understand each manufacturer's marketing and product positioning strategy. Simply by rebadging a car with a successful predecessor will not make it a hit. There are enough examples of it. While 2018 Duster is already available in market with enough upgrades, it isn't right to bring a new car with the same old name of Duster.

Duster is a pure SUV and Captur is more of a crossover. Just because they share identical or near equivalent leading dimensions, it isn't right to suggest a renaming or rebranding.
Unlike Honda, where each generation of cars are completely different from the older, many manufacturers try retaining many of visual characteristics of older generation so that the tradition continues and most importantly resale value of older generation cars are protected largely.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 07:39   #55
BHPian

A colleague of mine had his eyes on the Captur but after discussions with his family he is now looking at the Creta. His family liked the butch edgy design of the Creta and the crossover looks of the Captur didn't appeal to them. Ironically the smaller Kwid looks more SUV-ish than the Captur. Its time for manufacturers to rethink about the crossovers as neither the SCross nor Captur have been able to appeal to Indians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Renault is expected to launch a CVT variant of Captur by July, got this information from reliable sources.
I feel manufacturers should provide a good DCT or Torque Converter AT in > ₹10 lakh cars. We are seeing CVTs in premium hatchbacks already. I had a test drive of the Duster CVT 2 months back and the rubber band effect was such a turn off!

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th March 2018 at 11:59. Reason: Merging back to back posts
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 10:21   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault dispatches 302 Captur's in March. Keeping all along the trend with a three digit sales figures. Will it ever do 500 numbers?

Source : Auto Punditz
Old 7th April 2018, 14:01   #57
BHPian

Such a detailed and expansive review, Omkar. 5 star for the review, not for the car.

Renault's R&D and Marketing teams seem to have failed big time. Duster was a success as it had the first-mover advantage and it was introduced at a time when the inclination towards SUV/Cross-over had just started gaining momentum. Buyers even didn't complain much of the interiors.

Come 2017, and Renault repeats the same mistake w.r.t. the interiors. But this time around, repercussions would be negative. Captur will certainly sit at the lowest in my ladder of choices if I am in the market for an SUV/Cross-over in that price band. XUV/Hexa for proper SUV power, Creta for utilities, Duster/Ecosport for driveability and S-Cross for the Maruti assurance will always come ahead of the Captur. It's highly over-priced.

Hope the new Duster doesn't disappoint and is able to bring back the "Gang of Duster" to Renault again.
Old 8th April 2018, 11:19   #58
BHPian

Renault is offering ₹1.25 lakh discount on 2017 manufactured Capturs.

https://www.cartoq.com/rs-1-25-lakh-...enault-captur/

Last edited by FrodoOfTheShire : 8th April 2018 at 11:21. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 10th April 2018, 07:26   #59
BHPian

Just bought an RXL diesel on Saturday (Color: Planet grey). Very good driving position and stability. The only negatives (and I bought it knowing this very well during my test drives) are the steering feedback and lack of adequate usable storage spaces.

The car is huge!! You don't realize it until you have seen it next to something in real life in a non showroom environment. I have a tight parking slot at home, and the Skoda yeti would squeeze into it. The Captur just can't. Sound quality from the speakers is good! The screen is amazingly responsive. I find the Yeti screen less responsive that this now. I think it's a awesome car. Bought it very well knowing the brick bats it has received on this forum. The negatives pointed out in the forum were those that didn't matter much to us considering that my wife (yeah it's my wife's car) has a chauffeur. It met all requirements that mattered to or affected her comfort when in the car. (seating position, suspension, stability and space.)

Renault Captur : Official Review-bea34dbcf0064bf3b9ffc301684fd84d.jpeg

Renault Captur : Official Review-48ca090891fc41239d107d52480074d8.jpeg

Renault Captur : Official Review-dcb4a6539c1244a99d8519a8692168d6.jpeg

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like.... this....

Last edited by ampere : 10th April 2018 at 07:48.
Sachin Bhatt is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 11:51   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin Bhatt View Post
Just bought an RXL diesel on Saturday (Color: Planet grey). Very good driving position and stability. The only negatives (and I bought it knowing this very well during my test drives) are the steering feedback and lack of adequate usable storage spaces.
You should only buy a car with your gut feeling. Looks are always subjective. Also,preferences vary from person to person and it is important you are satisfied.

I feel Captur has a very European look and I personally quite like it. The color also looks nice

Sad that they have not yet offered an automatic transmission. In your case,that is not a problem since it will be chauffeur driven.

Last edited by ampere : 24th April 2018 at 07:42. Reason: trimmed quoted post. fixed punctuation spacing
joy_swift is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed