Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2022, 18:25   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift : Official Review

Maruti Swift : Official Review-bill1.gif
Another large bill for my Swift courtesy my car dealer Shivam Autozone. To all Petrol MT Swift owners are these items mentioned in your bill?

FIP Calibration: Rs. 2100 plus taxes
Side slip and Brake tester : Rs. 1250 plus taxes

More details here (Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!).
Old 13th December 2022, 18:49   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
This is such a sorted car for being a city runabout!
And being an entry level automatic, considering its price I am totally fine shifting with tiptronic to save my neck. But I'll never get those images out of my head. We all started with an MSIL car in the family, so I know there will always be a buyer who will be over the moon with this first car. Like a friend once said, "why deny the bike guy mobility by making cars more expensive".
Swift as you mentioned is quite good city car and in B2B traffic, is fun and easy to drive. The AMT takes some time getting used, Initially I drove like other AT's but over time driving it like an MT, there is reduction in head banging. But shifting can be slow and AMT unit sometimes misses to select the right gear. The Nios AMT is smoother but the K12 is such a joy. The Swift is surprisingly more efficient than my earlier MT Kwid 800cc and also doesnot bottom out as much. That said GC is just adequate for city.

Pity that MSIL doesnot bother to update safety on this car which otherwise is well sorted for city. That said Swift had scored 2 star(Some may argue it even 3) in previous version of GNCAP and in comparison Tiago scored 4 star. With updated GNCAP norms, I am assuming Tiago would score a 3 or 2 star! Maruti also has added ESP, Hill Hold and ZXI/ZXI+ get adjustable headrests for 4 passenger, rear wash/wipe whereas these are limited only to top spec variants in competition.
Old 20th December 2022, 18:34   #468
Senior - BHPian

Can the offline maps be updated? I had once the opportunity to use the offline navigation as google was acting up. It was very precise and even showed which service lane to go through for which google maps failed to highlight properly. I actually was going in the wrong direction using google and was not sure so I switched to offline maps and it directed properly to my home set point which has been saved in the car's SD card.
Old 20th December 2022, 22:47   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Attachment 2389792
Another large bill for my Swift courtesy my car dealer Shivam Autozone. To all Petrol MT Swift owners are these items mentioned in your bill?

FIP Calibration: Rs. 2100 plus taxes
Side slip and Brake tester : Rs. 1250 plus taxes
Typical Shivam Autozone behaviour of adding unnecessary items to inflate the service bill. I am not sure if FIP calibration is even required for Petrol engines, but I may be wrong. I had experienced it thrice when my father used to take the car to service there and each time it came back with a couple of extra items added to the bill.

Take the owner's manual with you next time and ask the SA to only carry out the services mentioned in the manual and you would not be paying for anything extra unless absolutely essential.

Cheers
TheDarkKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 12:45   #470
BHPian

I have a swift 2017 Swift ZDI AMT, with the OEM headunit(Non Touchscreen Variant).

I have been facing bluetooth connectivity issues, most of the times my phone doesn't connect automatically even when I'm stationary and rest of time bluetooth shows connected but only the phone calls connect through and I cannot play music.

The way around this is that I re-pair my phone every time, by deleting 'CAR AUDIO' from my bluetooth list.

Anybody else facing a similar issue?
Old 2nd January 2023, 17:44   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
4500KM update
Car deserves a 195 section Michellins though. Got overall FE of 23KMPL as per
Are you considering an upgrade to the tyres? If so at what specs? 195 60 R15? I had posted in the Swift tyre threads but no one responded. My Swift's Apollos now feel hard. The car has completed 4 years and I am considering upgrading the tyres.

I have noticed the Swift thread is not that active. The "sheet shaming" of the car seems to have got even Team BHPians. Ah well people need to remember the 800/Zen's etc we once drove probably would not have fared better in crash tests but then we were not that worried were we? Definitely does not mean that Maruti should not do anything the Swift's safety, they should take drastic steps.

I had even once reached out to Maruti via mail regarding the safety issue since MS is very prompt in responses. All I got was this (in Jun 2021) "As of now there is no official information regarding any new product / introduction in Maruti Suzuki Swift with 6 air bag." My take on the matter is buckle up and drive extra careful. Anyways I still like my Kamikaze Swift .

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 2nd January 2023 at 17:54.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 18:11   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Are you considering an upgrade to the tyres? If so at what specs? 195 60 R15? I had posted in the Swift tyre threads but no one responded. My Swift's Apollos now feel hard. The car has completed 4 years and I am considering upgrading the tyres.

I have noticed the Swift thread is not that active. The "sheet shaming" of the car seems to have got even Team BHPians. Ah well people need to remember the 800/Zen's etc we once drove probably would not have fared better in crash tests but then we were not that worried were we? Definitely does not mean that Maruti should not do anything the Swift's safety, they should take drastic steps.

I had even once reached out to Maruti via mail regarding the safety issue since MS is very prompt in responses. All I got was this (Jun 2021) "As of now there is no official information regarding any new product / introduction in Maruti Suzuki Swift with 6 air bag." My take on the matter is buckle up and drive extra careful. Anyways I still like my Kamikaze Swift .
Not for now, I got Bridgestone Ecopia and is quite decent. May be for next swap(If I retain the car that long ) I will consider 195 section tires against the stock 185. VXi variant definitely deserves a better tire, the engine has good grunt and better tires will do wonders.

Well even after the NCAP fiasco, I would still have gotten Swift for reasons below:

1. I have a tight parking and Swift is max that can fit.

2. Other cars in consideration were Tiago, Nios , Punch and Baleno. Baleno was dropped as it wont fit in my parking/sluggish and waiting period. Nios was booked and cancelled because of delay in delivery and Swift was available immediately. I loved Tiago in showroom but the drive was bad, I cannot live with that 3 pot. The Punch drive was worse.

3. Coming to safety aspect, yes Swift is light, sheet metal is thin and not very confidence inspiring. However I considered below which competition missed:
  1. Swift gets ESP/Hill hold which is not an option with Tiago/Nios
  2. Adjustable headrests for 4 passengers
  3. ISOFIX seats
  4. Wider tires
  5. Rear wash and wipe in variant I shortlisted(ZXI vs XT/Sportz)
4. And lastly the Tiago is 4 stars in earlier GNCAP regime. In the new regime, Tiago without ESP can score a max of 2 star vs 1 star of Swift. So its not really that safer either. For 1 star less in Swift I gain ESP, Hill hold, much better engine and AMT, better driving dynamics, better tires, better brakes, better economy, better resale and top it a much better car to drive.

5. Lastly, the car for 90% of time will be driven within city in peak B2B traffic and occasional highway drive.

These don't justify Swift's poor performance in NCAP and Maruti deserves the bashing but its a pity that despite shelling out 8-9L there are not many options of safe car in India. Tiago was, but not anymore(unless Tata adds ESP).

Last edited by PrideRed : 2nd January 2023 at 18:13.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 11:01   #473
BHPian

Hello everyone, thought I'd post an update after my Swift has covered 40,000km, in just under 5 years:

- Transmission juddering still exists for the initial few minutes of driving. Been happening for a while now. Can't put a finger on how many km's this happens, but after initial warm up, the car drives well. I even do wheel spins at signals sometimes, , so I'm guessing that the clutch is fine.
- Been having FRHS brake pad rattling issues for the last 1,500 to 2,000km. Changed it at the service center but it reappeared again for the last 500km or so. Could potentially be insufficient greasing or misaligned clips, so planning to get it checked again
- Changed to fully synthetic Amzoil 0W-50 engine oil at 35,000km, which is supposed to last up to 15,000km, based on a friend's car oil condition, but I check it periodically anyway.
- I do my own servicing so I ensure to change both air filters every 5,000 km. I know the OEM says 20k and 40k but the air is so polluted, I prefer to change it.
- Approximate overall mileage so far is 15.2kpl, with 30% highway and 70% city

Apart from that, its been a seriously hassle free ownership and in my opinion a perfect city car. Its also been a great highway vehicle too.

So for the 40k service, based also on the OEM recommendation, I'm going to:
- Change spark plugs, fuel filter, air filters and coolant
- Planning on adding coolant flush and fuel system cleaner before changing the above
- Rotating tyres (done every 5000km); quite a bit of tread left on the original Apollos
- Brake fluid flush at the dealer's

Hopefully this helps current and potential owners of the Swift along their journeys of ownership as well.
qr20de is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 09:11   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
Hello everyone, thought I'd post an update after my Swift has covered 40,000km, in just under 5 years:

- Tr.
What about the battery? Was it replaced or you still on the stock one? What will be the correct AH rating for say an Amaron battery. The one I have on my petrol Swift is Amaron with black top, the manual says 34B19L but I am still unsure which want to go for. My car is Jan 2019 model. I have done only a paltry 17k kms in the 4 years with the car.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 2nd March 2023 at 09:18.
Old 6th March 2023, 13:29   #475
BHPian

I changed mine to the Amaron 35Ah no maintenance one, when the vehicle had done 4 years/35,000 km. The product code for the battery is AAM-FL-0042B20L.
qr20de is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 13:23   #476

I was refilling my windshield wiper fluid last week and saw that the coolant levels were below "low" mark. This is a 3 year old Swift petrol that was serviced 5 months back. So today I went to service center and they filled in coolant (Ecstar from a new opened bottle) to the full level. When I asked him if he doesn't need to add water, he mentioned that it is not required.

Is that right? Should we not add water to coolant if poured directly from the Ecstar bottle?

Also, has anyone faced this coolant going below "low" mark issue?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th March 2023 at 08:43. Reason: Broken quote tags
Old 28th March 2023, 10:11   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineqq View Post
I was refilling my windshield wiper fluid last week and saw that the coolant levels were below "low" mark. This is a 3 year old Swift petrol that was serviced 5 months back. So today I went to service center and they filled in coolant (Ecstar from a new opened bottle) to the full level. When I asked him if he doesn't need to add water, he mentioned that it is not required.

Is that right? Should we not add water to coolant if poured directly from the Ecstar bottle?

Also, has anyone faced this coolant going below "low" mark issue?
Yeah, that tech doesn't seem to know its concentrated; its supposed to be a 50/50 with distilled water. It would have already circulated in the system but disconnect the overflow bottle and drain about half the coolant and add distilled water. Better to be safe.

If you're coolant has dropped to the low mark after 5 months then there's a minor leak somewhere. Check your parking area for any puddles in the morning, from the radiator pipes. Highly unlikely you have any gasket issues
Old 21st May 2023, 08:50   #478
Senior - BHPian

Have driven the petrol Swift for more than ~18.7k kms but I have never experienced the ABS in action which has started to make me wonder how the ABS works in the Swift. Previously in my used Civic the brake pedal would tickle my foot during heavy braking but I never felt the same in the Swift.
Old 28th May 2023, 09:07   #479
Mik
BHPian

My sister is considering the Swift zxi+ amt.
Her main concern is the hill assist feature as she is a newbie and her parking ramp is very steep.
The new version has hill assist but the TD car in her city doesn't have that feature.
Can anyone with the new Swift amt opine on the effectiveness of the hill assist?
Old 28th May 2023, 09:55   #480
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
My sister is considering the Swift zxi+ amt.
Her main concern is the hill assist feature as she is a newbie and her parking ramp is very steep.
The new version has hill assist but the TD car in her city doesn't have that feature.
Can anyone with the new Swift amt opine on the effectiveness of the hill assist?
The Hill-Hold Assist holds the car on steep inclines for around 2-3 seconds, which prevents the car from going backward providing sufficient time for the driver to climb the incline, a feature that is definitely good to have for newbie drivers and those who have to go through steep inclines regularly. The Maruti Swift ZXI Plus AMT and the New Hyundai Grand i10 Nios Asta AMT are two top-spec cars wit good 4-cylinder 1.2 ltre petrols under 11 lakhs OTR that provide this feature. Other options worth considering are the Maruti Baleno Zeta AGS. Honda Amaze S CVT 1.2 Petrol (if you are considering alternatives)

Last edited by bijims : 28th May 2023 at 10:02. Reason: added content
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed