Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2018, 17:09   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift : Official Review

After a gap of 16 months Maruti Suzuki Swift becomes the country Top Seller in September - dispatches 22, 228 units

Source:Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 15:39   #167
BHPian

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/maruti-...-12283927.html

Just read that the Indian made Swift has been awarded a two-star safety rating. The car tested had two airbags. So, the "tin-can" allegation wasn't too wrong, I suppose.
sainyamk95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 20:48   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainyamk95 View Post
[url]....Swift has been awarded a two-star safety rating. The car tested had two airbags. So, the "tin-can" allegation wasn't too wrong, I suppose.
Well that's a shame! Maruti should have provided for better safety. They would have anyways sold Swift in big numbers, even if it was sold at a slightly higher price. Baleno owners should also be aware as the platform is the same.
TSEA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 21:03   #169
BHPian

After seeing Brezza getting a good global NCAP score I thought Maruti has improved but I am literally shell shocked to see Swift's global NCAP rating. I guess this is the first time that global NCAP has awarded just 2 stars to a car with 2 airbags!
Old 8th October 2018, 21:24   #170
BHPian

Maruti Swift : Official Review

As per NDTV Cars:-

The Swift offers dual airbags, seat-belt pre-tensioner along with ISOFIX anchorages but doesn't offer 4-channel ABS (anti-lock braking system) which is one of the key reasons for it getting a poor rating. The car scored two stars for adult protection and two stars for child protection.

ABS - How does it differ in Crash Test? ABS does not come into picture as the Crash test is done at certain speed, without applying brakes.

Last edited by jaaz : 8th October 2018 at 21:27.
jaaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 12:28   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
As per NDTV Cars:-

The Swift offers dual airbags, seat-belt pre-tensioner along with ISOFIX anchorages but doesn't offer 4-channel ABS (anti-lock braking system) which is one of the key reasons for it getting a poor rating. The car scored two stars for adult protection and two stars for child protection.

ABS - How does it differ in Crash Test? ABS does not come into picture as the Crash test is done at certain speed, without applying brakes.

All,

GNCAP further states that swift's bodyshell integrity was "unstable" and “not capable of withstanding further loadings”.

Maruti needs to think seriously whether mileage should be the all important criteria or safety.

Regards
Nikhil
Old 9th October 2018, 12:45   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
All,
GNCAP further states that swift's bodyshell integrity was "unstable" and “not capable of withstanding further loadings”.
Maruti needs to think seriously whether mileage should be the all important criteria or safety.
Manufacturers should first run a crash test before launch of the vehicle to make sure it meets "the desired" safety guidelines. If they fail, make updates and improve. That will be less embarrassing than this for sure.

And now more cars in line, Baleno, Dzire, New Ertiga........

Last edited by rajivtelang : 9th October 2018 at 13:15.
Old 9th October 2018, 13:28   #173
BHPian

Why would Maruti care about safety if Indians are not bothered themselves? Case in point, sales figure for Titanium+ variant of Ford.
arunramaswamy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 14:00   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After a gap of 16 months Maruti Suzuki Swift becomes the country Top Seller in September - dispatches 22, 228 units
Quote:
Why would Maruti care about safety if Indians are not bothered themselves?
I have a very funny (yet strong) feeling that more than 20,000 of the 20,228 buyers have no clue:

- what is GNCAP
- what do safety ratings imply
- why European cars can never deliver a 'SWIFT' mileage.

As Arun has rightly posted, as long as buyers don't bother or complaint about such safety shortcomings, Maruti really don't need a RS variant to outsell competition every month!!
Vik0728 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 15:23   #175
Senior - BHPian

I may be wrong but doesn't the European version of the same car have 4 stars? Would other versions have different body shells?

Edit: the regular variant of the European Swift has 3 stars. The Swift with safety pack gets 4 stars.
Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 9th October 2018 at 15:41.
Old 9th October 2018, 18:08   #176
BHPian

so the Tin Car Sales 20k units per month. We all know that Maruthi even if priced a little higher will still sell in INDIA, and yet they have not taken the extra step in ensuring better safety standards.

What if the government now announce Mandatory Rating policy for all cars?

As, as long as the general buyer knows the safety rating how would they be able to know how safe their car is.
Hope we see stricter policy implementation in our country.
I only wonder what would the figures of Alto be...
Old 14th October 2018, 10:38   #177
Senior - BHPian

I took a test drive of the ZDI+ version of the Swift Diesel yesterday, let me tell you guys what I thought of the car, I already drive a 2008 Swift Diesel with 1 lakh 61 thousand km on the odometer. I was all jumping and excited when the Maruti showroom executive said that a Swift Diesel was available for test drive

1) Coming from my Swift to this, my car felt much better built quality wise than this, the interiors seemed too flimsy, while going over some potholes I almost thought something would rattle ( the car had 4 thousand km on the odometer)

2) The interiors are okay, they are not all that, I mean I was expecting a revolution, it turned out to be a notch above mediocrity for me.

3) The tall gearing accentuates the turbo lag, which is okay since most of the times we are not in a hurry and on the highway the tall gearing will be a boon, but be prepared to shift a tad more than the older car

4) The turbo kick felt as much as my car with the only difference being my car is not rev friendly and this one was, kind of fun that way this one, never the less for me it was the same old wine, the kick felt the same, the rise in rpm felt the same uptil 3200 rpm, I mean if Maruti has done nothing to the Swift Diesel;s engine from its launch to now, its basically just milking the population, disgusting. There needs to be a bump in power, better quality, more gears, something exciting with each version.

5) I felt I was sitting lower than my car ( I know 7 mm less ground clearance), but i thought I would not feel it until I followed the New Swift Diesel in my Swift Diesel and I was looking down at the car and not at the same height, I thought those days were gone when cars had to be low slung, with 5 people in this car it will look like it is dusting the highway when you go for a trip.

6) The price, 9 lakh 71 thousand after the Daserra offer + Corporate Discount for a ZDI + is wayyyyyyy too overpriced for a Swift Diesel, I mean this is a real loot, I would have understood the pricing if it had a bigger engine, 6 speed gearbox, some more frills like a sunroof, but this thing has nothing, not even a cruise control.

PS: This short review is from a super swift fanboy, I have rubbished anything else other than a Swift as a second choice when it came to buying a new car but after this 10 kilometer test drive, I am beginning to change my mind.

I would pay maximum 8.2 to 8.3 lakhs onroad for the ZDI+ version of the Swift, anything more is just daylight robbery.

Last edited by humyum : 14th October 2018 at 10:40.
humyum is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 11:13   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
PS: This short review is from a super swift fanboy, I have rubbished anything else other than a Swift as a second choice when it came to buying a new car but after this 10 kilometer test drive, I am beginning to change my mind.

I would pay maximum 8.2 to 8.3 lakhs onroad for the ZDI+ version of the Swift, anything more is just daylight robbery.
From current owner's perspective you may be right. Even I feel that it is overpriced by about 50k to 60k. But if you look at the competition, they all have become pricier.

We have replaced our Jazz with Swift AMT and for us it has everything that we wanted in our city car. It has been more than 2 months and we are loving every bit of it. In fact we are taking it out for family outings instead of Octavia.
Old 15th October 2018, 00:00   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
From current owner's perspective you may be right. Even I feel that it is overpriced by about 50k to 60k. But if you look at the competition, they all have become pricier.

We have replaced our Jazz with Swift AMT and for us it has everything that we wanted in our city car. It has been more than 2 months and we are loving every bit of it. In fact we are taking it out for family outings instead of Octavia.
I agree, also my lack of trust with other manufacturers in this segment has made me put off my car buying decision till I increase my budget or Maruti launches something new in this range. I would not be disappointed with the new Swift if I had not owned one for 10 long years, I needed a little refresher if I was going to buy one again, this felt like the same drink in a thoda sa new bottle.

The competition right now is mainly I20 and Freestyle, rest of the car's are not even on my radar for the simple reason I can't fathom owning a VW and I am not a fan of Baleno's looks, Ciaz is a over my budget and its facelift too came with a 1.3 DDIS which is again a bummer and loot by Maruti, that leaves me with no option at all

I will wait until something amazing turns up, I buy a car every 10 years or so, it will be a decision which will take me past 40 years of age, I have to be careful, the current Swift Diesel right now, took me past the 30 year old barrier.
Old 15th October 2018, 07:44   #180
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I agree, also my lack of trust with other manufacturers in this segment has made me put off my car buying decision till I increase my budget or Maruti launches something new in this range. I would not be disappointed with the new Swift if I had not owned one for 10 long years, I needed a little refresher if I was going to buy one again, this felt like the same drink in a thoda sa new bottle.

The competition right now is mainly I20 and Freestyle, rest of the car's are not even on my radar for the simple reason I can't fathom owning a VW and I am not a fan of Baleno's looks, Ciaz is a over my budget and its facelift too came with a 1.3 DDIS which is again a bummer and loot by Maruti, that leaves me with no option at all

I will wait until something amazing turns up, I buy a car every 10 years or so, it will be a decision which will take me past 40 years of age, I have to be careful, the current Swift Diesel right now, took me past the 30 year old barrier.
Nowhere in your previous posts, I read about the safety aspect. Isn’t it time for us to start evaluating a car with safety as the starting point itself?. If that is the case, then even a test drive would not be happening in case of the new Swift.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks