Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2018, 08:42   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Nowhere in your previous posts, I read about the safety aspect. Isn’t it time for us to start evaluating a car with safety as the starting point itself?. If that is the case, then even a test drive would not be happening in case of the new Swift.
Safety discussion is something that has triggered for last few years (which is indeed a good thing). I have Ertiga as my first car with airbags, ABS, EBD etc. etc. Till this time I was always driving Santros and Estilos with no safety at all and was taking them on 1000KM+ drives happily.
Even if you do not consider the safety part for new Swift, it does not look appealing due to the interiors, exteriors (mainly due to cheap plastics) and now due to poor safety ratings.
I agree we need all possible safety measures for India now due to high speeds on highways and no change in behavior of people/their cattle/sudden potholes/humps etc. So if the competitors are offering me better quality (and much better safety), why shouldn't I go for them? Also as others mentioned, Swift is really overpriced and yeah, why a TD is required then?
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 08:37   #182
BHPian

Hi,

I own a Zxi petrol version of the new swift. Of late, the clutch becomes a little hard and makes a noise(like something that needs lubrication?) after driving for a while. What do I look for as a possible cause? Thanks.
Old 6th November 2018, 00:35   #183

Dear all, took delivery of two Swift Diesels today, White LDI and Blue VDI. Bought these from Santosh Automotors, Vijayawada. The delivery process was smooth and the showroom was very professional in their dealings. Got the handles and mirrors painted on the LDI and visually there's nothing to distinguish from VDI atleast from the outside. Blue color looked really good in flesh, very upmarket and classy. There was one fiery red as well, which was captivating.

This was primarily a blind purchase as we never even went to the showroom to check the cars previously. We assumed that we will not go wrong with a Swift and surely it was the case.

I am a Fiat fan boy so to speak but after a longish drive of around 250 km to reach home I am convinced that the Swift is almost a perfect fit for many people. The steering was light but very precise and predictable. It was never nervous. The ride was a revelation, the new Swift really rides well. The suspension setup is mature for such a light car. The front seats were very very good. Top class really, I felt they were much better than my Linea. Both cars returned 21 kmpl and people's claims of getting 23-24 consistently seemed reasonable now. Astounding really considering my 17 year old bullet returns almost the same mileage. I felt that the rear door handles position is really awkward. Neither comfortable nor functional, needlessly made the car claustrophobic. It doesn't even look good.

Maruti has tuned the multijet for a liner delivery and it's almost like a petrol now. I am a firm believer of running in period and kept the speeds with the ton. But reaching 120 was effortless and the multijet seems to shine in this light bodied Swift. There's not a hint of hesitation or lag, it simply moved when wanted. The boot space was good.

We all were impressed with the new Swift and hope both cars go a long way with us.....

Cheers
Gautam
sgautam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 16:42   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
The competition right now is mainly I20 and Freestyle, rest of the car's are not even on my radar for the simple reason I can't fathom owning a VW and I am not a fan of Baleno's looks, Ciaz is a over my budget and its facelift too came with a 1.3 DDIS which is again a bummer and loot by Maruti, that leaves me with no option at all
I feel you go ahead with Freestyle. The reviews are amazing. Also I heard they have height adjustable rear seat headrests now. GC is good, FE may not be as high on paper but practical figures might be the same. Engine is powerful for sure. With Swift's 2 star safety rating I am tending to go against it. Interiors are black in both. Ford service is cheaper (as per their claim) than all other brands. Only shortcoming what I can see is not so widespread service network for Ford. If you intend to stay in big cities, Ford "should not be an issue". But otherwise we have no "option" other than maruti cars in most places.
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 10:32   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Took the first highway trip in the new car this week. Great pull till 120 (speedo-indicated), but after that seemed to struggle. Maybe it'll open out a bit once the engine runs in more (currently at 2000-odd km). Must say, the measly 2-star safety rating was also playing on my mind while opening it up.

Suspension seems better suited to a city ride for sure. The car was handling the good bits of the highway well, but could feel even the small bumps at speed. Very comfortable ride, reached Bangalore yesterday afternoon after almost 7 hours driving and was still feeling fresh enough to go to the gym in the evening.

Overall, very decent highway feel, but expected more. Not really an 'enthusiast car', but a very decent mile-cruncher. Got the feeling that this car could have been so much more (Swift Sport!)

Noticed some rust on a part that's between the disk setup and the suspension, attaching pics. Any idea what part this is? Wondering why it's so rusted on a new car (3 months old) that's nowhere near the coast. And if it's something to worry about. Looked at another new Swift, the corresponding parts were rusted on that one too. Even if it's not a priority, wondering why Maruti couldn't just powder-coat or paint it?!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Swift : Official Review-20181105_124641.jpg  

Maruti Swift : Official Review-20181105_124702.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th November 2018 at 10:43. Reason: Removed references of speeding on public roads.
Old 11th November 2018, 10:24   #186
Team-BHP Support

What is the sweet sound which you hear once you rev the engine upwards of ~ 4,500 revs till redline, sounds similar to a turbo spool but is very addictive and the pull is stronger till the redline [with absolutely no lags].

The more I drive this, the more I realize that it is better than my Figo D in almost all aspects.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 13:43   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Took the first highway trip in the new car this week. Great pull till 120 (speedo-indicated), but after that seemed to struggle. Maybe it'll open out a bit once the engine runs in more (currently at 2000-odd km). Must say, the measly 2-star safety rating was also playing on my mind while opening it up.

Suspension seems better suited to a city ride for sure. The car was handling the good bits of the highway well, but could feel even the small bumps at speed. Very comfortable ride, reached Bangalore yesterday afternoon after almost 7 hours driving and was still feeling fresh enough to go to the gym in the evening.

Overall, very decent highway feel, but expected more. Not really an 'enthusiast car', but a very decent mile-cruncher. Got the feeling that this car could have been so much more (Swift Sport!)

Noticed some rust on a part that's between the disk setup and the suspension, attaching pics. Any idea what part this is? Wondering why it's so rusted on a new car (3 months old) that's nowhere near the coast. And if it's something to worry about. Looked at another new Swift, the corresponding parts were rusted on that one too. Even if it's not a priority, wondering why Maruti couldn't just powder-coat or paint it?!
I would like to add something related to your post regarding rusting of parts. A good friend of mine had took delivery of his swift on 28th October from Indus motors, Pattom(Kerala) and he had a similar issue with his car too.

My friend runs a customization garage in Trivandrum and when he was about to replace his alloys, he could find serious rusting on LHS/RHS stub axle knuckle and LHS/RHS lower arm assembly. The worst part is that he had some nuts and bolts on the assembly were completely rusted.

He could visit the yard and check a few swifts that were in stock and to his surprise all cars he inspected had this issue of severe rusting. The issue seems to be with the lot of cars that were out of the production line without any proper quality check, it’s very evident that the powder coating on these components were not of good quality and was chipping off very easily.

The issue was raised with the service advisor and at first they were reluctant to acknowledge the issue, after a bit of ruckus and discussion they agreed to replace all the components. The main concern here is that since the components are not easily visible and not many owners bother to check these components on a regular basis, these parts can fail us at any point of time.

Attaching pictures of the components that came installed on the car and the replacement provided. I hope the extend of rusting is evident considering that the car is not even a month old now.

I would request all new swift owners to be aware of this and get the components checked and replaced if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Swift : Official Review-1.jpeg  

Maruti Swift : Official Review-2.jpeg  

Maruti Swift : Official Review-3.jpeg  

Maruti Swift : Official Review-4.jpeg  

Maruti Swift : Official Review-5.jpeg  

Maruti Swift : Official Review-6.jpeg  

Maruti Swift : Official Review-7.jpeg  

psmenon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 17:00   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmenon View Post
I would request all new swift owners to be aware of this and get the components checked and replaced if needed.
Surely coastal cities will see this issue pretty quickly due to humidity. But in any case I am going away from new Marutis due to all "cheap" cost cuttings, be it in safety or in quality.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 16th November 2018 at 17:01.
Old 17th November 2018, 23:25   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Surely coastal cities will see this issue pretty quickly due to humidity. But in any case I am going away from new Marutis due to all "cheap" cost cuttings, be it in safety or in quality.

Agreed Rajiv, but it's just that the car is not even a month and fresh from factory and such vast amount of rusting is unacceptable. As you said cost cutting and lack of quality check is evident
Old 27th November 2018, 14:17   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Maruti Swift sales cross 20 Lakh units in India – Production increased 45% to meet demand
Launched 2005 ,
2 Million sold in 13 years
Amazing numbers !

LINK

Last edited by JS Kwt : 27th November 2018 at 14:22.
Old 15th December 2018, 11:43   #191
BHPian

I am looking for 3D floor mats for the swift. Any pointers?

Also, has anyone fitted the arm rest ?
Old 20th December 2018, 21:47   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Swift bags the 2019 ICOTY award.

The very first ICOTY was won by the Swift, gen 2 Swift & now 3rd gen too is the ICOTY .

Maruti Swift : Official Review-1.jpg

Maruti Swift : Official Review-2.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 22:35   #193
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki Swift bags the 2019 ICOTY award.

The very first ICOTY was won by the Swift, gen 2 Swift & now 3rd gen too is the ICOTY .

Attachment 1829667

Attachment 1829668
What is the criteria to become an ICOTY? Best seller or just be a Maruti? A car built on an unstable structure getting the crown of ‘COTY’ even at this time is so pathetic to say the least.

Last edited by pavi : 20th December 2018 at 22:39.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 14:33   #194
BHPian

Does anyone know the cost of 15 inch alloy wheels which comes as standard in ZXI and also of the diamond cut ones which are equipped with the ZXI+?

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 21st December 2018 at 14:59.
Old 27th December 2018, 22:21   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Cousin had bought Swift 1.2 AMT couple of weeks back. She let me drive the car today.

This is the first thing I did

I am impressed. Throttle response was sharper than my Baleno. AMT takes it's own sweet time to shift at redline, could clearly see it on the video. Still, the car was pretty quick. Very good city car and not at all boring on highways too .
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks