Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2019, 11:20   #301

Re: Maruti Swift : Official Review

Swift Swap

After 11.5 years of loyal service and 101000 km, I replaced my '08 Swift Vxi with a ... Wait for it ... Swift Zxi+ (2019).

The '08 Swift was my first car. Low maintenance and reliable, the ideal city car.

A faultless car and I would have spent an average of Rs.15,000 per year to keep her tip top. This included timely service, polishing, dent repair for all the dents and dings that Mumbai roads bring with it.

Did 3 battery changes and two tire changes (at 35k and 85k) in the last decade. Never left me stranded or in a difficult spot. I live by the car rule that 'you take care of your car and your car'll take care of you' - and it held true.

It was still holding strong when I decided to sell it for the following reasons : (a) Nearing 15 years (registration timeline), it would have become difficult to sell in short order; (b) It was BS4. On reflection though, I could have kept it another couple of years but then again what's life without a bit of consumerism.

I checked out the Hyundai Venue and Baleno. Venue I really liked, but the top of the line version I was looking for (SX (o) Turbo) was quite a bit more expensive than the zxi+ (almost 5 lakhs more). Baleno was a tad lazy and wallowy, compared to the Swift.

Since this was predominantly a second car - for my wife to zip around in the city (home office commute of about 15 km/day), decided to go for the best small car on offer. Safety was a concern, but principally being a driver's car (front seat passengers only) and dual airbags being available, decided to go for it. That said, Maruti really needs to start offering 6 airbags atleast on the top variants.

Good discounts were available - from an on road price of 8.88 lakhs Mumbai (what!!) there was approx 45 k discount available. Further, they offered 1.25 lakhs for my '08 swift. Not a bad deal.

The delivery experience was super. Mansukh from Shivam Autozone, Andheri (East) made the experience seamless.

My old Swift went away on a Friday and the new one was delivered Saturday.

Kudos to Shivam Autozone, a good job - they threw in some free accessories as well (mud flaps, floor mats, door visor - and also things I didn't want like some GARISH chrome!!).

Positives of the new Swift:
1. Smooth 1.2, really smooth.
2. More spacious than the old Swift.
3. Slick shifting gearbox.
4. Better mileage (~14 kmpl in the city compared to ~10 on the old 1.3l).
5. Dials and ICE are superb. Apple car play and Android auto are a joy to use.
6. Reverse parking camera and sensors are seamless.
7. Front seats and driving position - sporty.

Negatives of the New Swift
1. Light, very light build.
2. Safety - should have come with 6 airbags - particularly at this price point.

So there you have it folks - changed my old swift for a new one, which I hope will serve me for the next decade when I can swap it out for the 2030 all Electric Swift with Ludicrous mode!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Swift : Official Review-img20191102wa0004.jpg  

Maruti Swift : Official Review-img20191102wa0003.jpg  

Maruti Swift : Official Review-img20191102wa0002.jpg  

Maruti Swift : Official Review-img20191102wa0000.jpg  

Maruti Swift : Official Review-img20191102wa0006.jpg  

Maruti Swift : Official Review-img20191102wa0005.jpg  

Maruti Swift : Official Review-img20191102wa0001.jpg  

Maruti Swift : Official Review-img20191102wa0010.jpg  

Maruti Swift : Official Review-img20191102wa0009.jpg  

Maruti Swift : Official Review-img20191102wa0008.jpg  

Maruti Swift : Official Review-img20191102wa0007.jpg  

VentViper is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 09:47   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
I wanted to check with other Swift owners of AMT if they're facing any clutch shuddering issues?

There's a light shudder in mine in cold start but disappears within a km of driving. Just wanted to be aware if there is something I should expect.

Thanks
Yep, that's an issue that I face as well, on a cold start, it disappears 1-2 minutes into driving, no resolution provided till date (the vehicle has run around 16,000 kms and the issue was reported right at the beginning). I was told that it is related to engine rpm not being at an optimum level during cold start
Old 28th November 2019, 19:05   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
Yep, that's an issue that I face as well, on a cold start, it disappears 1-2 minutes into driving, no resolution provided till date (the vehicle has run around 16,000 kms and the issue was reported right at the beginning). I was told that it is related to engine rpm not being at an optimum level during cold start
Had parked at a friends garage for over a week and had to reverse a good 40 feet plus to get the car out. Surprisingly the shuddering was absent. Experimented the past few weeks, the shudder is next to minimal in my AMT when I first drive in reverse a few feet, on cold starts. Idling, in my case was not helpful.

Last edited by TheDoctor : 28th November 2019 at 19:09. Reason: Added info on idling
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:14   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost a year and a half up with the new Swift.

Really like the driving aspect, the car is effortless and very nimble. But really hating the flimsy build. Dents way too easily. A stray dog that jumped in to the compound to chase a cat was able to put a dent on the side that we had to get repaired!

Was ambivalent about the build quality before buying, always knew a Maruti was not going to be on par with a VW or a Toyota in build quality, but opted for the peace of mind that Maruti service provides. (That has proved great as always.) But this is just pathetic. All the negative reviews about flimsy build quality and the 'tin-can' labels are unfortunately true about the new Swift.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 22:10   #305
BHPian

Hi all. I am planning to get myself a new swift petrol manual as a fun to drive car for Sunday mornings mainly within the city and around mumbai. The car will be driven for around 100 kms each weekend. Mostly on highways.
I have a 2008 swift zxi petrol which has been very for the same purpose ,is sparingly used and well maintained. There are no issues with the car. I have doubts whether I should go for the new swift. The build quality , lighter steering and overall poor components quality puts me off. But the engine is way more refined and rev happy. Also I won’t get any resale for my car once it becomes 15 years old. Also how safe is it driving an 11 year old car at higher speeds on our roads? Since I am looking at the new vxi , features are almost what I already have now in my zxi. What should I do? Go for the new swift vxi or keep my old zxi?
Old 23rd December 2019, 03:20   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
What should I do? Go for the new swift vxi or keep my old zxi?
Retain your Gen-1 Swift ZXi. They don't make them like they used to. The first generation SWIFT'S handling dynamics are much sportier than the latest generation car. Because the first gen Swift's had a rear anti-roll bar which is lacking in the latest version. Also the front seats of the first gen Swift. Very few cars give you seats that are so commodious and supportive.
I'm still holding on to my 2005 Swift petrol. It's well past a lakh kilometres, is meticulously maintained and has never let me down.
And yes, i regularly been doing Chennai to Kolkata, both ways, once a year, for the last 6 years as well as frequent weekend jaunts and I've never felt uncomfortable in any way.
arjab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 07:00   #307
Team-BHP Support

Not doubting arjab's claims, but ditched my regular 4WD for the Swift for past 2 drives and it is still a sharp, precise, tractable tool. In my books, the K series engine is a gem and the high speed stability is good, steering weighs up nicely and suspension soaks up the road irregularities rather well.

The suspension too [like engine, good power and good FE] has dual character, handles nicely and the ride is comfortable.

The only hitch is the terrible sheet metal used which dings and scratches at slightest provocation.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd December 2019 at 09:58.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 09:28   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Not doubting arjab's claims, but ditched my regular 4WD for the Swift for past 2 drives and it is still a sharp, precise, tractable tool. In my books, the K series engine is a gem and the high speed stability is good, steering weighs up nicely and suspension soaks up the road irregularities rather well.
Do you have the current swift or the previous generation ?

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd December 2019 at 09:57. Reason: Trimmed quoted post.
Old 23rd December 2019, 09:57   #309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do you have the current swift or the previous generation ?
I have the current generation Swift, a Swift ZXi+ in manual transmission.
Old 23rd December 2019, 10:18   #310
BHPian

My observations after test drive of the current swift vs first generation swift : 1. The steering is not as communicative specially at straight line higher speeds and on twisty roads. 2. The handling is less taut. 3. The k series engine and new gearbox combination is much better than the g series engine and old gearbox. Extremely linear engine no flat spots free revving and pulls easily. In many ways it reminded me of my crv I vtec. 4. Metal quality and plastics quality has fallen. But the paint job , looks and features are better.
Is there any suggestion how to make the g series engine quiter, more refined and remove the flat spots ? I am open to doing modifications
Old 23rd December 2019, 10:27   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Since I am looking at the new vxi , features are almost what I already have now in my zxi. What should I do? Go for the new swift vxi or keep my old zxi?
Switching from an Old Swift ZXI, which has ABS/Airbags, to a new Swift VXI is not much of a sensible upgrade unless the old car is in a beaten up condition. Which yours isn't.

I would say spend some little money to spruce up your old car. Slap some nice alloys and good tyres, get a good detailing done, new music system maybe and you can use this car for next four to five years at least.
This is what I would do if I were in your place.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 12:32   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Switching from an Old Swift ZXI, which has ABS/Airbags, to a new Swift VXI is not much of a sensible upgrade unless the old car is in a beaten up condition. Which yours isn't.

I would say spend some little money to spruce up your old car. Slap some nice alloys and good tyres, get a good detailing done, new music system maybe and you can use this car for next four to five years at least.
This is what I would do if I were in your place.
My thoughts exactly! Thanks.
Any suggestions are welcome for making the engine smoother, quieter and more tractable. I feel this flat spot in 2nd and 3rd at around 2000 rpm.
Old 23rd December 2019, 20:30   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any suggestion how to make the g series engine quiter, more refined and remove the flat spots ? I am open to doing modifications
Get hold of a old Baleno 1.6 L engine/transmission from a scrapped car/ chor bazaar and do a heart transplant! It'll fit in the engine bay.
Add nicely tuned headers.
Sounds wicked ?
Old 25th December 2019, 14:09   #314
BHPian

Sounds awesome. But I am not for engine swapping or major rebuilds. I will probably add performance mods , do up the interiors and exteriors and that’s it. Will post before and after snaps.
Old 29th December 2019, 09:52   #315
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Volvo-style Christmas tree lights on a Swift . Although I must admit, they looked quite eye-catching

Maruti Swift : Official Review-20191228-21.14.01.jpg

Maruti Swift : Official Review-20191228-21.13.57.jpg
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks