Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2018, 12:06   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
There was this slight push whenever I shifted gears to higher gears when picking up speeds especially when I was flooring it. Something like a over rev were the revs don't drop as soon as you lift off. I had noticed this on some petrol cars. Something to make gear shift smoother probably.
Very common nowadays in cars with drive by wire. It's called rev hang or rpm shoot. where the rpm is help even after lifting from throttle and depressing clutch. It is done for smooth gearshift and mileage. Most of these cars have lesser engine braking than before as they fuel cut off is programmed to give best efficiency.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 20:48   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Like said before - 2 months
Your delivery experience is going almost like mine.
Exactly what I was told by the JSP Ford, Hosur Road Bangalore. Minimum wait period of 2 months. No special offers or discounts of any kind too. The dealership experience was understandingly as documented, cold. My father who had a complete opposite response from Dakshin Honda further down the road is leaning towards the Jazz VMT. I am trying to reason that for almost 9 large the Jazz does not offer even the basics of what a sub 5-6 lakh hatches are offering in the market today. We are yet to decide with the Nexon included in the mix.

Last edited by ampere : 1st July 2018 at 21:11. Reason: Compacted quoted post
Darth_Vader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:11   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to Nagendra Shreeniwas for posting an important update regarding the Head Unit fitment for the Freestyle Ambiente (Base) variant:

Quote:
Finally got music system installed on FS ambiente petrol.

There is no coupler connector available for Freestyle Ambiente even in aftermarket. Here one has to depend on injector wires (pic -1) that are inserted in the coupler connector provided in the vehicle (without damaging the wires or the connector).
System installed: Sony XAV-AX100. It is a 6" touchscreen system (pic-2) with Android auto and Apple carplay. And rear camera support. Total cost 28k.

Sony XAV-AX100: 19500
4 door speakers (Focal): 5800
Frame: 1400
Rear parking camera: 800
Speaker coupler: 300
Coupler+injector wires: 540
Total: 28340

Ambiente Petrol OTR Delhi price 5.68Lakh + 28k (music system) = 5.96Lakh
Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-36420566_1784867784928583_6631245323941445632_n.jpg

Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-36481482_1784867908261904_1637171740016640000_n.jpg

Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-36467693_1785495274865834_623095180785876992_n.jpg

Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-36483006_1785495944865767_7614972566221881344_n.jpg

Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-36391999_1785495511532477_1347079869204267008_n.jpg

Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-36432319_1785496161532412_1440572824677777408_n.jpg

Thanks to Viraj Buddhdev for sharing this Certificate of Compliance with Pollution Standards, Safety Standards of Components Quality and Road Worthiness issued by Ford for the Freestyle 1.5L Ambiente diesel:

Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-fsd2.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 2nd July 2018 at 10:21. Reason: added Certificate.
RavenAvi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 12:23   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmenon View Post
Well they kind of just about met the deadline and called me at 5:55 PM and told me that they will give me the chassis number by 26th June 2018 when it will supposedly billed and have given me a delivery date of between 10th to 15th July.

Edit: I was given to understand that the engine guard is only for the Diesel variants of the Freestyle. Anyone in the know can comment on this.
Sir, hope everything is going well wrt your Freestyle's delivery date.

Yes, the engine guard is only for the diesel variants.
hardoop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 13:25   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoop View Post
Sir, hope everything is going well wrt your Freestyle's delivery date.

Yes, the engine guard is only for the diesel variants.
Well a lot of water has flowed under that bridge.

I have cancelled my booking at Malayalam Ford and made a new booking at Kairali Ford, Edapally for the same colour and variant.

Currently the tentative delivery date is given as 30th July with dispatch expected this week or next.
nmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 11:24   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
There can be another problem in low running diesels, ie, fuel injector getting clogged. If it is run every day then fine, but more start stops and less km of running for a diesel means more wear and tear for the engine.
I think this now seriously an outdated statement. Modern diesels designed with injectors meant for our fuel quality do not have this problem any more and they run fine even after long breaks. Most modern diesels are as reliable and run fine just like most petrol engined cars.
SPARKled is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 14:31   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thanks to Nagendra Shreeniwas for posting an important update regarding the Head Unit fitment for the Freestyle Ambiente (Base) variant:
Big question is where did he source the panel that fits a 2 DIN system?

A friend had tried this in the Aspire some time back, and the issue he faced was that a structural beam running across the front was obstructing the system from being inserted fully.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 15:42   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Most modern diesels are as reliable and run fine just like most petrol engined cars.
I was thinking this was right and bought 3 diesels based on this thinking. But my experience says otherwise, twice! Unless your running is high.

This is what the most knowledgeable service engineers from Volkswagen had to say. That the water content, though minute, tend to evaporate if the car not used for long and the contaminated (sulphur?) diesel gets clogged in the sensitive injector nozzles. Our fuel quality is yet to match the Euro VI (?) fuel quality for which the injectors are initially designed. At least, there are a lot of injector issues with Ford 1.4 L engines which creeps up with age. And search the Vento thread for injector issues, you'll find a lot.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 16:36   #144
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Big question is where did he source the panel that fits a 2 DIN system?

A friend had tried this in the Aspire some time back, and the issue he faced was that a structural beam running across the front was obstructing the system from being inserted fully.
I talked to that person over Facebook. (I am also a part of the FB group in which he posted these pictures) He told me that he sourced the face plate from a car accessories store in Palika Bhawan, R.K. Puram, Delhi. I have the contact details of that shop if anyone is interested. The shop owner also has couplers for the Aspire and the Figo for the ICE.
_nitink_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 17:36   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I was thinking this was right and bought 3 diesels based on this thinking. But my experience says otherwise, twice! Unless your running is high.

This is what the most knowledgeable service engineers from Volkswagen had to say. That the water content, though minute, tend to evaporate if the car not used for long and the contaminated (sulphur?) diesel gets clogged in the sensitive injector nozzles. Our fuel quality is yet to match the Euro VI (?) fuel quality for which the injectors are initially designed. At least, there are a lot of injector issues with Ford 1.4 L engines which creeps up with age. And search the Vento thread for injector issues, you'll find a lot.
VW engineers are clearly trying to justify their poor choice of injectors for Indian conditions and nothing else. I am using diesel cars since 2012 and have not done milages any where close to what is expected of diesel cars.

Ford and Renault and others have since moved on to other injectors since long and this problem is almost gone since then. Cars that are well localized to our conditions have fared well all along compared to the euro giants who have ben guilty of not doing this and selling cars suited for else where here.
SPARKled is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 20:16   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I am using diesel cars since 2012 and have not done milages any where close to what is expected of diesel cars
Maybe we should continue over the dedicated thread for this topic.
Old 21st July 2018, 11:41   #147
BHPian

Test drove the Freestyle petrol recently and below are my observations based on driving Dzire VDI and Alto 800 for last 8 years.

Dislikes :

1. Throttle inputs were not as precise as I am used to in my 2 cars. Even Alto 800 feels more predictable. Maybe thats how cars are tuned these days to provide a smooth power delivery rather than being jerky.

2. Rear seat width did disappoint me. Certainly not for 3.

3. Rear seat headrest was almost useless as I am 6 feet. Infact it was uncomfortable as it jutted out and would keep touching my back. The height of backseat is also low.

1. Excellent tuned suspension. Far better than Dzire and no point comparing Alto here. Infact I felt it better than Nexon/Ecosport which I test drove earlier.

2. Good build. Again comparisons coming from Marutis.

3. Trend(mid) trim has all features I would want including rear parking camera and neat looking black wheel covers.

4. Nice steering wheel to hold and play around.

5. Just the right dimensions I would want a Delhi car to be.

6. Decent NVH. You do feel some vibrations at idle. But as you move it all feels sorted.

I hear that Ford is coming up with auto transmission for Freestyle and I am definitely waiting for it. Hoping it starts from Trend variant which would be a great bargain!!
Maverick Avi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 16:28   #148
BHPian

Looking to get a Black Freestyle Titanium+ Diesel. Dealer is quoting 3 months waiting period! Is anybody facing similar issue in other cities? All Mumbai dealers quoting similar wait time. I find it very absurd given the demand. Canyon Ridge is available immediately though, and there is Black in Titanium at one dealer, but then don't want to miss out on the 6 airbags.
Old 23rd July 2018, 18:11   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Well a lot of water has flowed under that bridge.

Currently the tentative delivery date is given as 30th July with dispatch expected this week or next.
I have taken delivery of my Smoke Grey Titanium Plus Freestyle Petrol on 21st July.

Did the PDI on 19th July made payment the same day and took delivery on Saturday.

3M Underbody Coating and PPF on the bumpers and rear bumper protector , rain visors and ambient lighting were the extras opted for.

Total paid including extended warranty upto 5 years is 809986.

Will post photos from PC. Unable to upload from mobile.

Have covered 395KM so far.

Keeping speeds below 70 and RPM below 2000 at least till the first 1k KM are done.

Initial observations.

1. Tire noise is relatively lower than my cousin's Ciaz though same Good Year Assurance in slightly different sizes.

2. The engine is quite smooth though you can make out the typical 3 cylinder vibration.

3. It will happily accelerate over a speed breaker (normal sized ones) in 2nd gear with no lugging or clutch slipping required.

4. Hill Launch Assist works well but you have to be prepared for it. A long time habit of the using the handbrake to assist hill launches means you have to remember that HLA is there.

5. Auto wipers and Headlights are there. Auto wipers are extremely useful.

6. The Auto dimming IRVM is very helpful in night driving.

7. The headlights and fog lamps are good. High beam though has a strange shadow in the centre. Need to get it checked at the service centre.
Rear fog lamps are also there.
I use them to assist with reversing as the fog lamps combined with reversing lamps help improve rear visibility.
Not quite used to the parking camera yet

8. Love the dark interior theme.

9. The showroom demo guy mentioned that the my key setup requires that the key being programmed be placed in the rear most cup holder in the centre console.

10. Mileage so far ( MID reading) 11.1 KM/L .

1st Service at 2500KM or 3 months 2nd at 10000KM or 12 Months and then 10000KM/12 Months which ever is earlier.

Will post further updates after I cover more kilometres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveanddrive View Post
Looking to get a Black Freestyle Titanium+ Diesel. Dealer is quoting 3 months waiting period! Is anybody facing similar issue in other cities? All Mumbai dealers quoting similar wait time. I find it very absurd given the demand. Canyon Ridge is available immediately though, and there is Black in Titanium at one dealer, but then don't want to miss out on the 6 airbags.
I had also asked for Black originally and decided to settle for Smoke Grey since dealers here were unsure of when they could get a black Freestyle.

Smoke Grey took a month.

The dealerships here in Kochi were ready to give Silver/White Gold / Oxford White within a week / immediately and Canyon Ridge in 2 weeks tops.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd July 2018 at 18:45. Reason: back to back posts merged.
nmenon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 19:13   #150
BHPian

Quote:
I have taken delivery of my Smoke Grey Titanium Plus Freestyle Petrol on 21st July.

The dealerships here in Kochi were ready to give Silver/White Gold / Oxford White within a week / immediately and Canyon Ridge in 2 weeks tops.
Congrats! Please do post pictures. Wife is leaning towards Smoke Grey now and I am like give me whatever's available. Black will be anyway a pain in Mumbai summers. One of the dealers here has Canyon Ridge in stock, let's see.
Will update as the purchase takes shape.
driveanddrive is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed