Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2018, 11:52   #166
BHPian

Re: Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review

I am planning to replace my spare wheel which is smaller in size (175/65 R14 steel wheel) with OEM alloys. The dealer has agreed to sell a single piece of OEM alloy (which comes as an Ford official accessory for the lower variants) and quoted approx Rs.6500 for the same. Any freestyle owner planning a similar upgrade ? Also is it really worth upgrading the spare wheel ?
Old 8th August 2018, 12:02   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phynix123 View Post
Also is it really worth upgrading the spare wheel ?
It is worth if you want even wear on all 5 tires and want to involve all 5 tires during rotation.

sample pattern https://goo.gl/images/uq2fnv
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 21:44   #168
BANNED

A member of a FB group posted this response from Ford India regarding the ICE installation. Sharing it here as it may help fellow members and guest visitors.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-screenshot_20180810214232576_com.facebook.katana.png  

_nitink_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 13:14   #169
BHPian

Prudent to wait for the Ford Freestyle AT?

Greetings everyone, and thanks for having me on team-bhp!

Let me get right down to it: The lady of the house has at last, after all these years, decided to start driving (she's finally showing signs of midlife crisis if you ask me), so we're looking for a smallish runabout for her. She refuses to touch my car (2005 Ford Fusion+, petrol) because she "loves it too much and doesn't want to harm it" (likelier reason: manual transmission), and is too nervous driving our other car despite its auto box (2010 Honda City V, petrol, which we'd got specifically for her and has mostly been driven for all these years by chauffeur/me/nephew/sister-in-law/whoever-else-is-available) because "it's a touch too long and a touch too low". Valid reasons, both; Lady P does take her time to park the City and the car does display a tendency to get better acquainted with some of Pune's absurd speed-breakers, while the Fusion is a snob that way. Also, as we get older the City's ingress and especially egress is getting a bit tricky, while one can basically walk into our other car.

We've therefore been looking for options for a while, and apart from arriving at the realization that everyone does eventually - that there is no such thing as a perfect car - we have made very little progress.

Requirements:
  • A good Petrol engine
  • AT/CVT (but not AMT)
  • Decent Ground Clearance, comparable to the Fusion's, but not much higher. Basically, want to walk in, not crouch, nor climb, in.
  • Sturdy build quality, and as many safety features as possible
  • Compact dimensions, < 4m preferred
  • Should comfortably last a decade+, like each of our previous ones
  • Preferably below 10 lakhs
  • Should be fun to drive (this one's not added by her)

Considered so far:
  • Baleno: An inherited Omni was our first car, and I don't think Lady P has gotten over the flimsy build quality of that ancient barrel. She rejects Marutis outright, sadly, and so the Ignis is also a no-go
  • Jazz: Fits most criteria, but not the GC (or the fun-to-drive)
  • WR-V: Fits a few more criteria, but not the transmission (strange one from Honda there).
  • i20 Elite: misses out on GC, and I'd anyway exercise my "fun to drive" veto
  • i20 Active: Again, only manual transmission! Bhp per ton is a bit too less as well..
  • Ecosport: Fits all criteria and then some, but is a bit too extravagant - we're already "overcarred", really, and while I'd love to own this, it's simply not second-car material. Will perhaps look at its next facelift a few years down the line for me...

Speaking of overcarred, I'm quite enjoying Uber these days, much as I hate to admit it, and find myself using them more and more, and we'll probably be exchanging one of the old dears - the Fusion if we choose another Ford, and the City if we decide on one from another make. The City will garner a bit more resale value of course, and will be the obvious trade if a new Honda is chosen. The Fusion's sentimental value is insurmountable, as is the fun-to-drive character, so will be keeping her unless a worthy successor from her family is found.

Which brings us to the Freestyle.

By all accounts, it is the most fun-to-drive in this budget range, and I certainly felt at home during the TD. The bhp/ton and Nm/ton numbers are better than any of the others we've considered. It also boasts ample safety features, and the traditional Ford build quality too seems to be largely intact in this one. The size and ground-clearance are perfect in order to inspire confidence in a middle-aged new driver, and has an understandable price differential over the i20 ("2 lakhs petrol allowance"). Most importantly, the lady doth not protest about it at all, she actually does like the car. It really seems the perfect package. But for the MT. I would therefore love to wait for its automatic version, if it is on the cards.

Or "settle" (no offence) for the i20/Jazz. (Or wait for the WR-V CVT?). My excuses to take an Uber are getting flimsier by the day and so I'm not sure I'm being reasonable by putting my foot down for a "more fun to drive" car. But those cars' GC+wheelbase combinations...

Any advice/suggestions/chiding appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-screen-shot-20180812-12.41.22.png  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th August 2018 at 13:21. Reason: Post moved to existing thread on Ford Freestyle. Thanks!
Punatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 13:31   #170
BANNED

Re: Prudent to wait for the Ford Freestyle AT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punatic View Post
Let me get right down to it: The lady of the house has at last, after all these years, decided to start driving (she's finally showing signs of midlife crisis if you ask me), so we're looking for a smallish runabout for her.

Any advice/suggestions/chiding appreciated!
I will recommend you to have a look at the new Amaze. The looks of the car are always subjective, and I personally don't like its design (no offence to the owners). If the lady of the house likes it, it can be a great car with CVT transmission. The build quality is flimsy, but no car is perfect. I will also recommend you to have a look at the Aspire/Figo automatic. It is a great car to drive.
Old 12th August 2018, 13:41   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nitink_ View Post
I will also recommend you to have a look at the Aspire/Figo automatic. It is a great car to drive.
Thanks for the response _nitink_. I haven't looked at the Figo/Aspire because of the expected facelifts (am I mistaken?). Also, the GC is a crucial concern, which precludes your other recommendation (Amaze), and indeed i20 and Jazz, as well.

Either way, you think I shouldn't be waiting for the Freestyle auto, right?
Old 12th August 2018, 14:16   #172
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punatic View Post
Thanks for the response _nitink_. I haven't looked at the Figo/Aspire because of the expected facelifts (am I mistaken?). Also, the GC is a crucial concern, which precludes your other recommendation (Amaze), and indeed i20 and Jazz, as well.

Either way, you think I shouldn't be waiting for the Freestyle auto, right?
I don't think that it will be a proper facelift. Just a few changes here and there and a new ICE. I don't think it is worth paying the difference for just new bumpers, a few panels, and some other changes. I am using Aspire and never have no complaint with it.
Old 12th August 2018, 14:48   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nitink_ View Post
I am using Aspire and never have no complaint with it.
Yes, but sadly the question of the ground clearance remains. A perfectly fine Honda City is to be replaced, largely for that reason. The Aspire's 175 mm GC is better, but still too low unfortunately. Will try it out though, thanks to your suggestion!
Old 12th August 2018, 21:07   #174
BHPian

My two cents post driving the Freestyle. Like how you don't ask for a Lassi at a bar, you don't chose a petrol engine made by Ford. But a lot has "apparently" changed with the new "dragon" engine. It is peppier and quicker than the previous but still an aged scotch is sweeter than the lassi any day. The diesel engine paired with the new gear box is the best under 10 lakhs category. The polo TDI engines are no second but still looking from a holistic view, freestyle is where I would put my hard earned money.
The ergonomics is superb, fit and finish no where near the Germans but the feature list especially the safety features are something to just thank the company with all sincerity.
This thread being of petrol, I must say it is peppier and fun to drive. Still the weight ratio makes swift more fun and quick but freestyle compensates with its higher GC and better build quality. There is no comparison to freestyle on paper as there is no other CUV. But ideally it is just a hatch with raised ground clearance. So between the swift, etios cross, polo, urban cross, standard figo, etios liva, I20 and Ignis I would go for Urban Cross if I consider myself an all out enthusiasts irrelevant hands down the freestyle with its all round packaging. Way to go Ford!
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 12:13   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
My two cents post driving the Freestyle. Like how you don't ask for a Lassi at a bar, you don't chose a petrol engine made by Ford. But a lot has "apparently" changed with the new "dragon" engine. It is peppier and quicker than the previous but still an aged scotch is sweeter than the lassi any day.
Post the old fiesta era, Ford petrol engines lost their charm. Have you driven 1.6 Rocam/1.6L Duratec. These were no less than legendary vtec and would teach suzuki engines a lesson or two in-terms of performance. Unfortunately 1.2L rule kicked in and Ford did not have any enthusiastic/competitive small engine until the award winning Ecoboost made its entry.
Old 13th August 2018, 12:20   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Post the old fiesta era, Ford petrol engines lost their charm. Have you driven 1.6 Rocam/1.6L Duratec. These were no less than legendary vtec and would teach suzuki engines a lesson or two in-terms of performance. Unfortunately 1.2L rule kicked in and Ford did not have any enthusiastic/competitive small engine until the award winning Ecoboost made its entry.
1.6 Fiesta engine was a hoot to drive. But sadly post this Ford has always been for their diesel engine. I posted looking at the current situation, no denying the fact that Fiesta was or probably is an icon for every petrol head.
Old 13th August 2018, 21:58   #177
BHPian

Yes, I can vouch for that engine as a Fusion-owner too. A true gem, smoothness-wise, power-wise and efficiency-wise. Truly sad that those aren't made anymore. Still, better to have loved and lost..
Old 17th August 2018, 23:34   #178

Hi All,
I have booked the Ford Freestyle Titanium Plus Petrol(Canyon Ridge) in July at PPS Ford Bengaluru and expecting the delivery by end of this month. This is the first car in the family.
Thanks to all the folks who have posted their views on this thread that helped me narrow down on buying this wonderful car.
I will post an owner review post the vehicle delivery that I am hoping will be as committed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoop View Post

Yes, the engine guard is only for the diesel variants.
I have opted for this accessory. I called up the Ford customer care as well as confirmed with the service Centre that there is no such distinction and can be fitted on a petrol freestyle as well.
Any reason you/other folks in the forum see why this shouldn't/won't go on a petrol Freestyle?
rohith741 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 23:58   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmenon View Post

Attaching the price list in Kochi.

Attaching the price list and accessories list from Bangalore. Looks like there's a significant difference from owning a car in Karnataka versus Kerala given that the major difference is coming from the RTO charges!! Could someone explain why the HUGE difference?
Feeling shocked
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-15345301756483890742806322879243.jpg  

Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-15345302965256586244287208211592.jpg  

rohith741 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 20:12   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by phynix123 View Post
I am planning to replace my spare wheel which is smaller in size (175/65 R14 steel wheel) with OEM alloys. The dealer has agreed to sell a single piece of OEM alloy (which comes as an Ford official accessory for the lower variants) and quoted approx Rs.6500 for the same. Any freestyle owner planning a similar upgrade ? Also is it really worth upgrading the spare wheel ?

I am planning to, but the accessory department at my dealership seems to be least interested in providing me an answer

Does the spare also have to be the alloy wheels or the alloy spokes can also be shifted with ease?
In that case I can try getting it from a store outside but not sure if the outside stores take the spare tire (literally unused) at a good price
rohith741 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks