Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2019, 13:23   #331
BHPian

Re: Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review

@amitayu.
I've been using my Freestyle petrol for regular commuting with around 80% in city traffic and 20% on highways.

The gears are a bit notchy but shift smoothly enough and the clutch is also reasonably light.

You may do well to take a test drive some where else (if possible) on a better car.

Also please do a test drive in low light /darkness and judge whether the lights are sufficient.
The Freestyle seems to have a strange dark area in the high beam slightly off centre to the left.

Haven't faced any niggles so far in 7200km, keeping my fingers crossed.

If you don't mind, what are your apprehensions about the turning radius and lane changes?

PS. I'm beginning to see quite a few Freestyles on the roads in my city.

Last edited by nmenon : 11th February 2019 at 13:24. Reason: Proofing
Old 12th February 2019, 16:10   #332
BHPian

Hi nmenon

Thanks for the response.

I am planning for another TD before I commit myself. Will try to do it after sunset to check for the light issue.

my concerns of turning radius stems from tight parking that I have to do, especially in office basement parking where i have to do a 3 point turn to navigate around a pillar and park it in reverse. I have seen some of the cars struggle due to turning radius, whereas my Ritz was just about comfortable.

Delhi requires squeezing into tight gaps with short turns, and that is one reason for insisting on a hatchback in the first place.

This opinion about notchy gear is a downer for me. Notchy gears in a MT will only heighten frustration in bumber-bumper traffic, especially given I am being adamant against A(M)T. Can be it be a concern as the car ages?

Will have try to check these factors in second TD.

Thanks again for helping me out!
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 11:31   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post

Now the estimated bill has come to something around 80000 with taxes. From what I understand, the FreeStyle owner is not in favor of using the insurance path, as he fears loosing on the NCB for next time.

Can someone please advise if the spare part prices are indeed so high with Ford FreeStyle? I have the images of the bill and the damage, but since I am not too sure of the right thread, so did not paste them.

Moderators, if this is not the correct thread, please guide me at the earliest.

Kind regards,
Why isn’t your friend using his comprehensive insurance to cover his and the other persons damage ? Isn’t that how it’s supposed to work. Why would I use my insurance to pay for damage that another person is responsible for? Could someone clear my understanding of how insurance is supposed to work in case I’m incorrect
Old 20th February 2019, 13:55   #334
Senior - BHPian

There were rumors of Ford getting AT/AMT on Freestyle. Anyone here has any news on same?
Old 20th February 2019, 15:52   #335
BHPian

Finally booked petrol Titanium + for 8.1 lakhs after negotiations.
Deal includes 0 dep insurance, Ford extended warranty, under body antirust paint, ambient lights.
The biggest sweetner was getting 2 lakhs (including exchange bonus) for my 2012 Ritz VXI (others were offering max 1.7; this includes Maruti, Nexa, Tata and Cars24).

Had long chats with the sales guys over various models of Ford. Freestyle supposedly had a quick change within an year of launch, with adjustable headrests introduced, and the Trend Plus model that eventually replaced the Trend. All these were based on initial feedback and reviews.

I also heard of some initial problems with front left suspension, which was supposedly addressed. Some Freestyle diesels also had recall and replacements. However, there are no plans of an AT as far as I understand.

My sales agent says that for those looking for a more easier ride and AT, they are guiding them towards the Aspire. The Freestyle is being pushed as a more exciting car to drive with more driver engagement and supposedly such drivers prefer MT (the last point could well be his sales pitch, given I had already stated i am not looking for AT).
amitayu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 16:12   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
The biggest sweetner was getting 2 lakhs (including exchange bonus) for my 2012 Ritz VXI (others were offering max 1.7; this includes Maruti, Nexa, Tata and Cars24).

Had long chats with the sales guys over various models of Ford. Freestyle supposedly had a quick change within an year of launch, with adjustable headrests introduced, and the Trend Plus model that eventually replaced the Trend. All these were based on initial feedback and reviews.
If I may ask- which city was your Ritz registered in, and also, how much had it run? Was there any exchange bonus that you received along with the Rs. 2 lakh sale price?

Ford has generally been quite perceptive with respect to their customer base and their feedback. The updated Ecosport addresses a lot of the concerns which were expressed over the years by the existing customers, making the present Ecosport a very well rounded product.
Old 20th February 2019, 16:33   #337
BHPian

Hi

Sorry missed out those details in my excitement!

I am based in Delhi. My Ritz was registered in Delhi. I am exchanging the car for Freestyle in Delhi.

2 lakhs is inclusive of exchange bonus. I think the break up is 1.85 + 0.15.

My car over the last 7 years had run just a shade under 60,000 Km. I have always had my car serviced in Maruti workshops, had clutch plate and break pads replaced after 5 years from service center with Genuine parts. They checked all these records.

What I liked about Ford was their open approach. They admitted maintenance were high but said they have worked on addressing that. They admit it will have low resale value and do not argue on that. I liked this frank admission.
Old 20th February 2019, 17:01   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I liked about Ford was their open approach. They admitted maintenance were high but said they have worked on addressing that. They admit it will have low resale value and do not argue on that. I liked this frank admission.
I thought Ford claims their cars' maintenance as minimum. Is it not so yet? Resale value could be less but how about their long term durability? Durability is a major factor in deciding the resale value. I found Ford cars very solid but am not able to understand why the resale is always towards lower side.
Old 20th February 2019, 17:21   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

They admitted maintenance were high but said they have worked on addressing that. They admit it will have low resale value and do not argue on that. I liked this frank admission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I thought Ford claims their cars' maintenance as minimum. Is it not so yet?

I found Ford cars very solid but am not able to understand why the resale is always towards lower side.
Service cost for Ford cars were higher, previous to the current generation Figo and Aspire. And that was one reason why people feared buying used too, because the frequency of service (not the general service) will be more as the car ages.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 15:17   #340
BHPian

Hello guys,

I recently got a Freestyle 1.2 Titanium which is only 20 Days old right now. I have read the owners manual which states that first service is due in 3 Months. While Dealership is constantly nagging me that first service has to be done within 1 month. What should i do? Go for first service now or wait a couple of months?
hgps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 16:07   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post
While Dealership is constantly nagging me that first service has to be done within 1 month. What should i do? Go for first service now or wait a couple of months?
Ask them for a written / email request. Most likely the dealership will not pursue this.

Aren't the service intervals 10,000 km / 1 year? There is a cost calculator on the Ford website as well. Do take a look at that.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 16:11   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys,

I recently got a Freestyle 1.2 Titanium which is only 20 Days old right now. I have read the owners manual which states that first service is due in 3 Months. While Dealership is constantly nagging me that first service has to be done within 1 month. What should i do? Go for first service now or wait a couple of months?
Hi,

Kindly note, first service isn't only dependent on days, rather KM's also.

I believe the first service is supposed to be done at 2500kms or 3 months (date of sale), whichever is early.

You may ignore the dealership calls but if they are nagging you too much, get in touch with Ford India customer care for help.

You may be the first member reporting this issue with Ford. Ford Service may be having age old reputation of being costly but they usually don't do this type of cheap tricks of frequent service calls.

I won't be surprised to learn the guy calling you may have recently switched from any other dealership of different brand with shorter service intervals.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp
Aren't the service intervals 10,000 km / 1 year? There is a cost calculator on the Ford website as well. Do take a look at that.
First Services are usually much shorter. Usually between 1000/2500/5000 kms depending on brands. Although they call it service, but mainly they simply check for any trouble, fuild top ups (if & as required), washing & attempt to sell value added services like Extended Warranty, underbody coating, fancy polishing, accessories like seat cover, etc.

For full blown service, like oil change, Ford Service interval is indeed 10k KM's / 1 year.

Thanks.

Last edited by NaXal : 1st March 2019 at 16:23. Reason: Back to Back Post
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 16:40   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
First Services are usually much shorter. Usually between 1000/2500/5000 kms depending on brands. Although they call it service...

For full blown service, like oil change, Ford Service interval is indeed 10k KM's / 1 year.
Got it thanks. Looks like we are talking about the check up. Thats at 2500 km / 3 months. I got confused with the word service. My bad.

Last edited by blackwasp : 1st March 2019 at 16:44.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 16:42   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
Hi,

Kindly note, first service isn't only dependent on days, rather KM's also.

I believe the first service is supposed to be done at 2500kms or 3 months (date of sale), whichever is early.

You may ignore the dealership calls but if they are nagging you too much, get in touch with Ford India customer care for help.

You may be the first member reporting this issue with Ford. Ford Service may be having age old reputation of being costly but they usually don't do this type of cheap tricks of frequent service calls.

I won't be surprised to learn the guy calling you may have recently switched from any other dealership of different brand with shorter service intervals.

Thanks

First Services are usually much shorter. Usually between 1000/2500/5000 kms depending on brands. Although they call it service, but mainly they simply check for any trouble, fuild top ups (if & as required), washing & attempt to sell value added services like Extended Warranty, underbody coating, fancy polishing, accessories like seat cover, etc.

Thanks.
I have barely driven it 200KMs so far, have been working elsewhere while the car is sitting idle at hometown (The reason i can't refer to owners manual and have to rely on forums and ford website). I tried contacting ford Customer care but they gave a standard reply of asking for VIN, Engine No, phone number etc.

20 Days since purchase an i still haven't received my registration number, plate, car cover that was promised.

I had cancelled my baleno booking for a Freestyle, Hope i wont regret it.

Last edited by hgps : 1st March 2019 at 16:47.
Old 1st March 2019, 19:03   #345
BHPian

Quote:
I have barely driven it 200KMs so far, have been working elsewhere while the car is sitting idle at hometown (The reason i can't refer to owners manual and have to rely on forums and ford website). I tried contacting ford Customer care but they gave a standard reply of asking for VIN, Engine No, phone number etc.
Ford do take phone number while registration of a new customer. So even if you can't access vehicle details, mentioning the phone number to their complain desk should help.

Quote:
20 Days since purchase an i still haven't received my registration number, plate, car cover that was promised.
I don't know about your city, but in Kolkata, it takes local RTO some time to get these things processed. However, I did receive confirmation SMS from RTO about registration of my vehicle, reg no, and e-receipt of tax payment. The physical things like number plate / smart card took some time to come.

If your city is known for slower RTO operation, then its ok, but otherwise go ahead with lodging a complain to Ford complain email.

Quote:
I had cancelled my baleno booking for a Freestyle, Hope i wont regret it.
Disappointed customers are always on both side. Its not the brands which are at fault. I feel its due to weak Indian Consumer Protection Law. No matter which ever brand we choose, we can't take things for granted and expect smoother operation like their promises and advertisement.

So have patience, be smart and keep reading team bhp to save your self from regretting !!
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks