Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 21st May 2019, 16:59   #376

Default Re: Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review

For those that are struggling with the auto AC in your freestyles some things I noticed.
My Ac struggled when temperature outside was 42+ and temperature inside was set at <21 and I was stuck in traffic for over 20 minutes or was driving up a ghat slow n steady. If these combinations were not met, I had no AC issues and no engine over heat warnings.
The AC performance issues creep in much before the engine heat warning comes up. So be mindful of that.
Also the temperature sensor for the car is located inside a small circular grill near the left knee on the driver side. It's actually got a tiny fan that pulls in air. With time that grill gets dusty. Keep it clean for the car to get the right readings on the cabin temperature achieved.
If your AC works fine all the way in AC max but not the usual auto setting, u have an AC issue. If it does not work after being set at AC max or in a few minutes of being at AC max, you probably have a heat issue.
Get it to ford for a scan. You'll be out smiling in a few hours. Also heat warnings go away if u turn off AC for a few minutes.
Freestyles don't hold a lot of data to give in the scan it seems. So if u can drive once you've got the error, the scan will show it. But if u go after a few days. It's probably over written. That's what Ford told me.
A few limitations, oodles of fun to drive, and some known errors being fixed seamlessly. A good Ford.

By the way, I've got the Philips ultinon extreme H4 in my car and it's super for highways and city. Thats the only change I made to the car on day #1 of delivery.

Have fun. Drive safe.

PCCrit
PCCrit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2019, 16:17   #377

I think I saw this go buy but will ask again to be sure.

Had anyone with the freestyle petrol experienced the car not allowing a half clutch in gear 2 and higher especially when you don't want to drop gears because you wanna keep speed but are executing a snazzy pin bend turn climbing a slope in the ghats? I've experienced my car loose rpm and the clutch simply engage anyways forcing me to drop gears.
Traction control has been on always. Not sure if anyone has experienced better fun without it in the above mentioned scenario.
PCCrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2019, 08:01   #378

My freestyle is over heating again but only in the ghats when the weather is >40C and the AC is on.
Gonna take it back to Ford
Old 2nd June 2019, 10:06   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCCrit View Post
I think I saw this go buy but will ask again to be sure.

Had anyone with the freestyle petrol experienced the car not allowing a half clutch in gear 2 and higher especially when you don't want to drop gears because you wanna keep speed but are executing a snazzy pin bend turn climbing a slope in the ghats? I've experienced my car loose rpm and the clutch simply engage anyways forcing me to drop gears.
Traction control has been on always. Not sure if anyone has experienced better fun without it in the above mentioned scenario.
Yes. I own a Petrol Titanium Plus freestyle and I have experienced this more in 1st gear in bumper to bumper traffic. This has also happened in 2nd gear.
Took it Ford with the complaint but they couldn't reproduce it but said they have a software upgrade that might fix the issue. It didn't fix the issue though.
When this is a real issue is when I slow down in an up slope and try to move again but the acceleration does not respond literally like the vehicle has switched off. Then I would have to shift to 1st gear and then it takes couple of seconds to respond.
Hope this doesn't cause any problems for me
rohith741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2019, 10:44   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCCrit View Post
My freestyle is over heating again but only in the ghats when the weather is >40C and the AC is on.
Gonna take it back to Ford
Hey, No modern car will overheat even with the outside temperature touching 50 degrees, the cooling systems are overengineered, if you keep driving in the ghats for hours on end, it will still not overheat.

Get you car checked, something is definitely wrong
humyum is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2019, 13:57   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohith741 View Post
Yes. I own a Petrol Titanium Plus freestyle and I have experienced this more in 1st gear in bumper to bumper traffic. This has also happened in 2nd gear.
Took it Ford with the complaint but they couldn't reproduce it but said they have a software upgrade that might fix the issue. It didn't fix the issue though.
When this is a real issue is when I slow down in an up slope and try to move again but the acceleration does not respond literally like the vehicle has switched off. Then I would have to shift to 1st gear and then it takes couple of seconds to respond.
Hope this doesn't cause any problems for me
Buddy, you've experienced the anti stall feature of Freestyle. It is not a defect, but the expected engine behavior by design. Whenever this happens, depress the clutch completely, allow the rpm to rise above the idle rpm (800-1000 depending on the status of the ac) and drive away.

Last edited by kaushikduttajsr : 2nd June 2019 at 14:17.
kaushikduttajsr is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 17:56   #382

No Kaushik, This is not anti stall. Anti stall helps with a RPM bump when the driver isn't doing it at the right time. I'd rather prefer to call this the "gummy Clutch Syndrome" where I see the RPM drop to match the car speed (even with half clutch being used) instead of the car catching up with the higher RMP and speed as the clutch gets engaged better. What we're experiencing is the RMP just flat out and then us having to forcibly downshift a gear or 2. I admit, I've not tried to see how the vehicle behaves when the TCS is turned off. This does not look like a situation where the engine has no strength. It surely looks like excess control by TCS, software, stability management, etc.

Rohit, the software upgrade that Ford performed, was that for the car overall or Sync 3 or are they both a part of the same update? Did you see how they did it?

Humyum, yes i will take this beast back to Ford. Surprisingly its not over heating anymore. Dunno what changed. Weather is cooler for sure.

Last edited by Eddy : 6th June 2019 at 18:35. Reason: Spacing for better readability