Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2020, 09:53   #451
BHPian

Re: Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review

HI

I bought a FS in March 2019 and am a happy customer of FS. I am also part of few FS groups on Facebook where we have regular conversations.

There are some commonly reported issues with FS, mainly the car slightly drifting to the Left, poor headlight alignment, bad quality rear parcel tray and my personal grouse, poor quality tyres given by Ford as OEM.

Of these issues,not everyone has them. I only have complaints over the tyres.
Most of them are easily rectifiable, like getting the SC to realign the headlights, or getting an aftermarket rear parcel tray for cheap.

The car pulling to the left seems to be most consistent issue but many users have got it rectified under warranty.

Barring these, I have not come across any major issues being reported about this car.
amitayu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 14:27   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
There are some commonly reported issues with FS, mainly the car slightly drifting to the Left, poor headlight alignment, bad quality rear parcel tray and my personal grouse, poor quality tyres given by Ford as OEM.
That rear parcel tray broke 3 times. Ford seems to know that it breaks often as the SA sheepishly said they were aware when my dad went for the 10k service.

But the tyres are bad ? I had taken my dads freestyle to expressway speeds and the car was really well planted. I had full confidence in the tyres. I had the Goodyear Assurance in my old Micra as well and they performed well there as well. Surprised you haven't had a good experience with the Goodyears.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th August 2020 at 23:36. Reason: Use of profanity is not permitted on the forum
Old 7th August 2020, 00:14   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_narender View Post
The purpose of sharing the video was to check if everyone who had purchased a similar model is doing alright. Not every issue that needs to be reported, gets reported. Or posted on forums.
And Yes! I agree that every once in while a “lemon” gets delivered to an unsuspecting customer even from the best of the car manufacturers. And I do not say that every model would be faulty.

But I strongly believe that a customer while facing such an ordeal needs to be taken extra care by the manufacturer or dealer, without him having to take media’s help to garner attention from the manufacturer. I am not even talking about compensation for such a bad taste in the mouth, just fixing the car.
No “lemons” whatsoever would be an ideal world. That’s not possible.
What’s the next best thing? To try & solve the issue promptly. Will be a confidence booster to select that manufacturer for the next purchase or auto advice.
Sweeping under the rug? Worst thing ever.

Coming to my car buying decision:
Yes! It was disconcerting to see this.
No, this alone doesn’t change my “Best car to buy within my budget” list where Figo/Freestyle still remain within top 3.

Neo
Well sir your thoughts on the above issues are tremendous IMO. I myself have been looking for a car and such issues are rare with slightest of mistakes being done by the company which leads to customer dissatisfaction. Still Ford, as a brand, has much better reputation in terms of ASS and customer support than any other Indian car maker out there. So, I really appreciate your thoughts and wish you good luck for future.

P.S: After doing a lot of research and taking some good piece of advice from Team-BHP I myself, am buying a Ford Figo Titanium variant.
chiefpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 00:14   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGT View Post
It is really disconcerting to hear this. I too have this car in my consideration and this certainly isn't a confidence booster. However, it looks more of a manufacturing defect with a single car and there are occasions with other manufacturers too where similar things can happen. If it was with all BS6 FS, there would surely have been some noise in this age of social media.

I think you are the best person to answer this as you are experiencing the BS6 product now. How is it performing? What is the overall reliability and did you face any issues till date?
I have driven the titanium diesel for 805 kms on different terrrains and have not found any issues so far.

The car delivers excellent power once it hits 1500 rpm.Even while in the turbo lag range, it is not altogether lethargic. It manages to pull in a slow but steady manner.Once below 1000 rpm you need to downshift.

So far as climbing uphill is concerned, which, in fact, was my grouse, many posts back on this thread, the trick is to keep the diesel motor in the power band of >1500 rpm. How much rpm is to be given will depend on the steepness of the climb and load being carried in the car.

While moving off a complete stop, on a road whose steepness rises gradually, just release the clutch pedal gradually until the car moves on its own and then give a steady acceleration.

However, if you need to move from a standstill on a very steep gradient, the half clutch- accelerator combination method of a petrol car won't work in a diesel. I tried that method with three adults on board but engine stalled each time. It's here that the Hill Hold feature comes handy. Put the vehicle in first gear with clutch fully depressed and take your foot off the brake pedal. Then, accelerate to around 3000rpm and take your foot off the accelerator. At the same time release the clutch gradually before the rpm drops down below 1800 rpm. You will see that the car will move off easily without stalling.

The above method needs to be practiced by people who are graduating to a diesel from petrol cars as old habits die hard. Its easier said than done but a few practice sessions will do the job.

So, that's have been my experience with diesel Freestyle so far, and I have enjoyed it. I will keep posting as I get to learn more.

Happy motoring!!
escape velocity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 23:42   #455

Hello everyone. This is my first post in this forum and am very happy to be a part of this wonderful community. I own a 2019 Ford freestyle petrol and has been quite happy with the car, however today I experienced a strange problem. In the evening while I was coming back from office today, I found my car's driver side window rolling down due to the anti-pinch feature even though there wasn't any obstruction in its way. I tried many times but the problem persisted. But it vanished when I wiped the top of the window with a soft tissue paper, but then a new problem popped up. The one- touch up feature stopped working completely even though I am able to roll the windows up in normal way nor there isn't any problem with the one- touch down feature. Has anyone experienced the same in any of your cars or what might be the reason for the same?
Old 16th September 2020, 20:56   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi_Kochi View Post
The one- touch up feature stopped working completely even though I am able to roll the windows up in normal way nor there isn't any problem with the one- touch down feature. Has anyone experienced the same in any of your cars or what might be the reason for the same?
This seems to be a common issue which I have also faced. When I was looking at a brand new Aspire in showroom its one touch down feature was not working so I asked the sales guy about it and he said the feature is not there. I told him it is very much mentioned in the brochure. I take out the key and insert again and voila it worked. Happened with my car a few times too but its not permanent and gets fixed upon reinserting the key. I never bothered to report as it happens occasionally and am sure I would not be able to replicate it in front of service advisor.

By the way my auto folding ORVM also does not open when I pull down the lever 1st time after inserting the key. I have to do it twice and only then the mirrors open up. Again nothing to worry but some funny things keep on happening in my Aspire.
Old 16th September 2020, 21:59   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi_Kochi View Post
..The one- touch up feature stopped working completely even though I am able to roll the windows up in normal way nor there isn't any problem with the one- touch down feature...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
This seems to be a common issue which I have also faced...
I guess, once it rolls down due to an obstruction, it has to be fully raised and rolled once (by continuous press) before the auto up/down feature is activated again. This was how it was in my Fabia, which the SA explained as a safety feature (makes sense actually).
Old 17th September 2020, 20:46   #458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
I never bothered to report as it happens occasionally and am sure I would not be able to replicate it in front of service advisor.

By the way my auto folding ORVM also does not open when I pull down the lever 1st time after inserting the key. I have to do it twice and only then the mirrors open up. Again nothing to worry but some funny things keep on happening in my Aspire.
But I need to take up the issue with SA next time I go to my hometown as the problem always persists. Sometimes the one-touch feature doesn't work at all and whenever it does the anti-pinch feature will come as a bonus Nevertheless there isn't any issue with normal power window up function.

I also have the same issue with my auto folding ORVM, I was thinking all this while that it was meant to work in that way only
Old 19th September 2020, 07:50   #459
BHPian

Hi all,

I bought my Freestyle on 30.06.2020. As per service booklet,the first free service is scheduled at 2,500 kms. or 03 months from the date of purchase whichever occurs first.

I would like to know the latest date by which I can get the service done. In other words, can I service it by 29.10.2020 i.e before the commencement of fourth month? The dealership informed me that the service coupon will expire after 05.10.2020 although it is not stated anywhere.

Regards.
Old 19th September 2020, 10:56   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape velocity View Post
I would like to know the latest date by which I can get the service done. In other words, can I service it by 29.10.2020 i.e before the commencement of fourth month?.
29.10.2020 would be end of the fourth month while the free service is scheduled at 3 months (90 days) from purchase.

You still have a few weeks before you hit the 90 day mark. First service is just a general checkup of the car. If you have time to spare around end of this month, get it done else skip it altogether.
Old 20th September 2020, 20:47   #461
BHPian

[quote=blackwasp;4403127]
In-Car Entertainment

I would like to know how much the Ford 6.5 inch touchscreen infotainment would cost, if fitted separately. Wouldn't it be a good idea to purchase the Ambiente petrol and fit in the system?
Old 11th October 2020, 13:45   #462
BHPian

Hello Bhpians, my Freestyle 1.2 underwent the 2-year, 3rd service at 10.4k kms. I'm extremely happy with my overall ownership experience but reporter 2 issues: (a) rattling sound from my front right A-pillar and front left dashboard area; (b) soft / blunted metallic clapping sound from the suspension area.

SA called me to say that he has replaced the front suspension link rods along with their bushes and fixed the a-pillar rattle. However, I am still observing a thud sound from the left dashboard area. Has anyone else faced the issue? SA asked me to get the car back to service center tomorrow to have a test drive with me. I'm not happy with rattles at 10k

The other issue I observed is paint chipping post service. I'm guessing pre-existing defect was chipped post a diesel wash at the service center. What are my options - can i get this repainted under warranty?
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-img_20201010_191252.jpg  

Last edited by kaushikduttajsr : 11th October 2020 at 14:00.
Old 16th October 2020, 22:11   #463

Quote:
(a) rattling sound from my front right A-pillar and front left dashboard area; (b) soft / blunted metallic clapping sound from the suspension area.
The rattling sound is an everyday problem with this model. Each time I get it fixed, it would crop up again from another door. So now iv just let it be and learnt to increase the volume instead . As per the SA the door latchets need alignment with the socket every time. He recommends not to drive over rough roads or too rashly - which is clearly not happening on India roads.
I have also notice the blunted sound from the front suspension somewhere. It appears rarely, mostly when I take those irritating successive rubber speed breakers at an angle.

Quote:
Did they fix the issue with steering mounted controls when trying to answer/reject calls when connected to android auto?
The issue with the steering mounted control is more to do with Synch3 and phone compatibility I think. I am facing the same issue with my Oneplus. The Synch 3 user manual says...
Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-screenshot-20201016-213529.png
Don't really know what to make of that. I haven't checked for the latest patch yet.

However, there is no issues with my wife's iPhone.

There some additional issues I'm facing with synch though
1. Calls when received don't get routed through Bluetooth/speaker. I'm required to switch between device and Bluetooth in call settings for the voice to come through the unit again. Till then its just hello.. hello.. the other side.
2. Spotify sometimes doesn't play through the unit. Synch shows the song playing but there is no audio, sometimes the fm randomly starts playing. A work around I've discovered is switch between amazon music and Spotify.
3. Both the USB ports keep getting disconnected intermittently. Not sure if this is a hardware issue
Old 18th October 2020, 13:32   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikduttajsr View Post
The other issue I observed is paint chipping post service. I'm guessing pre-existing defect was chipped post a diesel wash at the service center. What are my options - can i get this repainted under warranty?
I am facing paint chipping from my bonnet. Already 3 chips. One of which SC had touched up on my last visit. I think the paint quality is to be blamed here. Let me know if you get it fixed under warranty.
Old 18th October 2020, 14:40   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDaddy_In View Post
I am facing paint chipping from my bonnet. Already 3 chips. One of which SC had touched up on my last visit. I think the paint quality is to be blamed here. Let me know if you get it fixed under warranty.
Yes sir. I fought tooth and nail to get it covered under warranty since the driver took a clean vehicle with no scratch / paint peel off issue on the morning of service.

Fortunately, it seems cauvery ford cares about customer feedback. They repainted the entire bonnet free of cost. Poor paint finish is something that I'm planning to get addressed through a 3M PPF. To add to that, Cauvery ford provided a free ceramic polish for the entire vehicle and replaced some parts without adding any labor charge

In this era of poor A.S.S. I'm really happy with Ford's customer obsession.
kaushikduttajsr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed