Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 13:52   #481
S2K
BHPian

Re: Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review

Hi all, looking to buy a Ford Freestyle petrol and have a few doubts after the TD since my previous experience is only with Baleno.
1) The engine takes time to rev to life in case of a cold start. Later, it starts normally.
2) Over small speed bumps, if the speed it around 20kmph, the suspension makes a small thud sound. Not felt inside the cabin but definitely heard.
3) On starting the AC or in other low traffic scenarios (even in the 10km test drive), the fan spins loudly and can be heard outside the vehicle. My dad could hear it after we stopped after the TD even the vehicle wasn't running.

Are these things normal? Asking to set my expectations right at the time of delivery.

Thanks,
Old 7th December 2020, 14:48   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K View Post
Hi all, looking to buy a Ford Freestyle petrol and have a few doubts after the TD since my previous experience is only with Baleno.
1) The engine takes time to rev to life in case of a cold start. Later, it starts normally.

Are these things normal?
If you are going for Freestyle go for the TDCi. Period. Their petrol engine is a joke. There seems to be a mad race to show high power figures that low down torque is severely compromised. When I took a TD, the Freestyle almost came to stall in a steep incline (I was in first gear), which none of the other 10 cars I test drove did. The SA was himself so embarrassed, he kept pushing for the Diesel since then.
Old 7th December 2020, 17:42   #483
BHPian

Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review

I drive a petrol Freestyle. Being a 3 cylinder engine, there is definitely lack of power at lower RPM and especially when the engine is cold but keep it in the right power band, you will not feel much difference from Swift K2 engine. I have driven swift for 9 years so I can compare. Engine is pretty refined and the ride is very good over uneven roads. I actually find it better than my Skoda Rapid on same roads. But the reason I bought it was primarily because of 6 airbags, ESC AND TC. It has one of the sickest touch units almost like a smartphone. Even the sound quality for a stock system is much better than what you get in other cars. There is a lot of clarity and adding an amp and changing speakers would just elevate the SQ. Features like Apple CP and Android AA, auto headlamps and auto wipers, rear wiper, and hardly any rattles. I like driving this car. Push button start is a plus though even without it, it is a good package.

Now, there is no comparison between petrol and diesel versions of any car, but if my use case allowed, I would go for TDCI, what an engine. 🤩
raaj.bhalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 21:27   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
If you are going for Freestyle go for the TDCi. Period.
Agreed. If one has the budget for the TDCI variant, it would be a no brainer even if the daily running does not justify it through traditional calculations. It is simply incomparable to the petrol variant, which is ok but not really as scintillating as we enthusiasts would prefer it to be.
Old 7th December 2020, 23:43   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
If one has the budget for the TDCI variant, it would be a no brainer even if the daily running does not justify it through traditional calculations.
I rejected it on the same grounds, but perhaps I made a mistake. Freestyle is a brilliant package, especially from safety POV, and at a very good price. Perhaps one should simply see it as a good engine, and not as a diesel engine. Turbo engines comes to the same price differential anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
......which is ok but not really as scintillating as we enthusiasts would prefer it to be.
Actually, I didn't comment as an enthusiast, I am not one (have never reached 5000 RPM in my 10 years of driving). The incline I was referring to is not even a serious one. I live in Trivandrum, with several ups and downs. Doing such inclines is just fundamental, not an enthusiast thing. A distant cousin of mine has his house down one such serious inclines. Turns out, after a Freestyle petrol was brought to their house for a TD, they had to literally push the vehicle by hand to get it out.
Old 9th December 2020, 17:24   #486
BHPian

https://gaadiwaadi.com/ford-freestyl...november-2020/

The new sticker job, or word of mouth?

Whatever be the reason, good to know it is selling better now.
Old 9th December 2020, 17:27   #487
BHPian

Actually, I didn't comment as an enthusiast, I am not one (have never reached 5000 RPM in my 10 years of driving). The incline I was referring to is not even a serious one. I live in Trivandrum, with several ups and downs. Doing such inclines is just fundamental, not an enthusiast thing. A distant cousin of mine has his house down one such serious inclines. Turns out, after a Freestyle petrol was brought to their house for a TD, they had to literally push the vehicle by hand to get it out.[/quote]

That is strange to hear. I regularly drive on the numerous overbridges of Delhi in bumper-bumper traffic. Never had issues with my car even with 4 passengers.
Old 14th December 2020, 11:53   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
That is strange to hear. I regularly drive on the numerous overbridges of Delhi in bumper-bumper traffic. Never had issues with my car even with 4 passengers.
Two differences:
1. It won't make a difference when you are already on the move. In fact, Freestyle's performance from the mid range upwards is quite good. The inclines I'm talking about are short, real steep and narrow, and one may have to start from near '0'.

2. Overbridges conform to norms, and do not compare with the ridiculous inclines in hilly towns.
Old 15th December 2020, 20:02   #489
BHPian

Quote:
2) Over small speed bumps, if the speed it around 20kmph, the suspension makes a small thud sound. Not felt inside the cabin but definitely heard.
3) On starting the AC or in other low traffic scenarios (even in the 10km test drive), the fan spins loudly and can be heard outside the vehicle. My dad could hear it after we stopped after the TD even the vehicle wasn't running.

Are these things normal? Asking to set my expectations right at the time of delivery.

Thanks,
I definitely experience 2) and it seems to be normal for the model (based on a friend who experiences the same). I was alarmed by it initially as well. Now I go over bumps slower than before. In any case, slower is more comfortable for the passengers, given the stiff suspension.

For 3) do you mean the AC fan, or the small fan (below the ignition button) that runs even if AC and cabin fan is off. That fan is part of the temperature sensor assembly to draw air towards the thermistor for cabin temperature measurement, and it is loud as well (not unique to Freestyle, other Ford cars have it too - Aspire, Ecosport), but not loud enough to be heard outside. You notice it more in the winters when cabin fans are set to a low speed.
scythian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 22:29   #490
S2K
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythian View Post
I definitely experience 2) and it seems to be normal for the model (based on a friend who experiences the same). I was alarmed by it initially as well. Now I go over bumps slower than before. In any case, slower is more comfortable for the passengers, given the stiff suspension.

For 3) do you mean the AC fan, or the small fan (below the ignition button) that runs even if AC and cabin fan is off. That fan is part of the temperature sensor assembly to draw air towards the thermistor for cabin temperature measurement, and it is loud as well (not unique to Freestyle, other Ford cars have it too - Aspire, Ecosport), but not loud enough to be heard outside. You notice it more in the winters when cabin fans are set to a low speed.
I am not sure if its the AC fan or the engine radiator fan or something else. But its not inside the car cabin. Its in the engine bay. And it usually turns on and off multiple times mostly when I am juggling between between first two gears and/or reverse gear. Turns on for a while and then turns off. Consulted some friends who say it might be radiator fan kicking in who the engine gets a bit hot and and turning off once the temp falls.

Can you also share how does the engine fire up when doing a cold start, in the morning especially? With Baleno, the firing up the engine any time is same.
For Freestyle, the first firing up from cold produces a bit longer engine sound. Subsequent starts don't have this behaviour. Is this normal?
Old 16th December 2020, 12:51   #491
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if its the AC fan or the engine radiator fan or something else. But its not inside the car cabin. Its in the engine bay. And it usually turns on and off multiple times mostly when I am juggling between between first two gears and/or reverse gear. Turns on for a while and then turns off. Consulted some friends who say it might be radiator fan kicking in who the engine gets a bit hot and and turning off once the temp falls.

Can you also share how does the engine fire up when doing a cold start, in the morning especially? With Baleno, the firing up the engine any time is same.
For Freestyle, the first firing up from cold produces a bit longer engine sound. Subsequent starts don't have this behaviour. Is this normal?
I just checked and the cold start (based on a crude measurement with a stopwatch) takes around 0.8 seconds or so (time between pressing the button to the engine running). After 5 minutes of driving the car around, stopped it and started it again. I measured and to me it looks like it takes almost the same time. Maybe running it for more time and then retesting may change the results, but I haven't noticed a perceptible difference till now. Maybe I didn't pay attention. FWIW, I park the car in the basement.
scythian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 22:13   #492
BHPian

Quote:

I can completely understand your dilemma since your comparisons are with Baleno. I too was in similar boat having only owned Marutis. Let me try to clear a few doubts.

The dragon petrol engine is 3 cylinder and does shake up while cranking. But it settles down immediately and once you inside cabin you hardly feel the 3 cylinder thrum. So this is normal and nothing to worry about. Overall the engine is smooth and silent in operation.

The TDCI diesel motor is definitely superior but the petrol cannot be called lame either. Out of all the shortcomings I can think up for this car, its engine performance would be the last one I would be fretting about. Even the fuel efficiency is not bad and I regularly get 15-16 kmpl(on my petrol Aspire with same engine) in Delhi. Its low end is not that great(again comparing with Baleno) but once you get the hang of it you would not complain.

The radiator fan is definitely noisy and you would be able to notice it once in a while. But again, the cabin remains insulated from it so nothing to complain.

Regarding the suspension, you would feel quite a difference coming from Baleno which has a comfort oriented setup. For enthusiasts who like to push their cars this setup works beautifully. But for laid back drivers slow driving can result in an uncomfortable ride. So please take multiple test drives before you commit to such a suspension setup. It may or may not be ideal for you depending on your taste.
Maverick Avi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 17:21   #493
BHPian

Quote:
If you are going for Freestyle go for the TDCi. Period. Their petrol engine is a joke. There seems to be a mad race to show high power figures that low down torque is severely compromised. When I took a TD, the Freestyle almost came to stall in a steep incline (I was in first gear), which none of the other 10 cars I test drove did. The SA was himself so embarrassed, he kept pushing for the Diesel since then.
I think you are exaggerating a bit over here. Definitely there is a low end lag compared to other 4 cylinder engines. The power delivery smoothens as you climb up the revvs. That the inherent difference because its a 3 cylinder under the hood.
Initially, I felt the same. The more I drove, the more I understood.

P.S: I own a FS Petrol and have taken it to a few hill stations, namely Darjeeling and Sikkim.
suvrog is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 09:43   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvrog View Post
I think you are exaggerating a bit over here. Definitely there is a low end lag compared to other 4 cylinder engines. The power delivery smoothens as you climb up the revvs. That the inherent difference because its a 3 cylinder under the hood.
Apologies, perhaps I sounded more dramatic than I intended. Here's the thing - it's a short but steep incline at the start of my street, as I enter from a 4 lane main road. For safety, there is a speed bump at the entrance. You have to essentially come to a halt, cross the bump and take the incline. My earlier car was a Fabia MPi (3 cylinder, old one, 71 ps tops). 10 years, I have known this incline like an itch under my loin. I know what throttle it needs. When I test drove the other vehicles (basically 1.2 kappa, and K12B), I found no difference in the input they needed. But the Freestyle gave me a distinct shock. Sure I could push it with higher rpm, but that's exactly my point!
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 09:57   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvrog View Post
I think you are exaggerating a bit over here. Definitely there is a low end lag compared to other 4 cylinder engines.
P.S: I own a FS Petrol and have taken it to a few hill stations, namely Darjeeling and Sikkim.
Quote:
Apologies, perhaps I sounded more dramatic than I intended. Sure I could push it with higher rpm, but that's exactly my point!
If one has the budget and is ok with the driving style of a diesel (requires a small learning curve if graduating from a NA petrol), then definitely go for the TDCI. However, at the same time the three cylinder petrol is also a good motor, which is decently suited for city and expressway driving. Any three cylinder will have its refinement issues and the Ford dragon is better one among the rest.

I have not driven it on inclines but I would think that it performs like most other NA petrols there, that is, requires some clutch slipping and higher revs to make it up steeper ones .

Most Viewed