Team-BHP - Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/198634-ford-freestyle-1-2l-petrol-official-review-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmenon (Post 4404200)
Thank you.

I do need the car kind of urgently since my old car has been sold and will be taken this Saturday.

I have another query is making a payment of say a max 1L with a clause that it is refundable if the car is not delivered, would that be a possible solution.

In that case I would suggest to better get it in writing that your money will be refunded to you in case the car is not delivered or if you find any fault in the car during PDI which could lead to a cancellation. In such a case I think it will be acceptable to make a downpayment of 1L.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmenon (Post 4404157)
Guys need some urgent advice..

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmenon (Post 4404200)
Thank you.

I do need the car kind of urgently since my old car has been sold and will be taken this Saturday.

Paying in whole for the car before you see it is not exactly a problem as long as both these conditions are adhered to:

1) Entire amount will be refunded should you cancel the booking
2) The car will go for registration ONLY after you complete a PDI and approve it

If the SA agrees to this, in writing, go for it.

What a fantastic, detailed and crisp review and lovely pictorial inputs by anshuman as well. Rated the 5 stars it deserves.clap:
The Ford Figo didn't do so well in the market so its understandable why they would want to keep the name out of this one though. The interiors especially the ICE with both Car play and AA is fantastic and other car manufacturers should learn a thing or two from Ford. The brown interiors are something quite distasteful though :Frustrati, wonder who chooses the colours there at Ford. The car looks good and thankfully the Chrome is kept to a minimum which is really nice.
The 6 airbag option in this segment is fantastic.

Deliveries already started I guess. Spotted one today on Begur road(on the way to Electronic city). From rear I almost mistook it for a Figo but then noticed the black inserts on the rear bumper which looked different. The fixed rear headrests looked really sad on otherwise nice looking car. It somehow looked like a bigger Tiago, not in a bad way at all :D

However, it seems a size smaller than i20 or even swift in flesh. So comparison to i20 Active/WR-V is not really possible. But much better than the current Figo and this should sell as its the perfect vehicle for folks looking for comfortable 4 seater hatch, thanks to the high GC(very much needed in bangalore), potent engine options, awesome safety features and improved looks :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 4404231)
Paying in whole for the car before you see it is not exactly a problem as long as both these conditions are adhered to:

1) Entire amount will be refunded should you cancel the booking
2) The car will go for registration ONLY after you complete a PDI and approve it

If the SA agrees to this, in writing, go for it.

That is exactly what I intend to do.

If they are ready to give in writing that they will refund the full amount if I cancel and allow me a PDI then only am I making the payment else I'll walk away and go to another Ford Dealership and if they also come up with such tactics I'm writing to Ford and then going over to Honda.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongDrive lover (Post 4404194)
Can a tire upgrade to 195 size be done right from the beginning while taking delivery?

The Figo Sports edition comes with the 195 55 R15 tyre size. In case of Freestyle, you can certainly go for this size of tyre without any compromises as this is the spec on one of the Figo variant here in India as well as the variant sold abroad. Good amount of testing would have been conducted on this tyre size for the parameters you are thinking of. I am running the same spec as the Figo S variant in my normal Figo and it has not had any adverse effect, instead it has improved the braking and handling on highway runs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongDrive lover (Post 4404194)
Is an upgrade to Projector headlights possible WITHOUT affecting warranty?

Nope! You will lose your electrical & accessories warranty if you upgrade to projectors. If you ask me, it is best to leave it as it is and go for auxiliary lights in LED or projectors etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwasp (Post 4403128)
It's busy too - 100 km/h comes up at 2,950 rpm and 120 km/h at 3,500 rpm in 5th gear. The gearing is shorter than most of its competitors.

That sounds like the engine is labored to deliver 3 digit speeds. This will have an impact on FE.

Ford has quite a drivetrain line up now for all their new mid size passenger cars. Earlier 1.2 petrol & 1.5 petrol 5 speed boxes & DSG for the 1.5 petrol and 5 speed for diesel.

Updated (all new or updated bits?) 5 Speed box on freestyle petrol 1.2 and diesel 1.5. All new 5 speed manual box on Dragon 1.5 petrol with torque converter for the automatic & older 1.5 manual/updated for the diesel?

Older 1.2 petrol 5 speed on Figo S (which is a pointless variant now given the updated freestyle)

Brand new 6 speed on updated Ecosport 1.0 turbo petrol and possibly older and non-updated 5 speed box on the updated ecosport.

Thankfully they've stayed away from launching 1.2 & 1.5 AMT's as they say it's not fun to drive with AMT. Wonder if a plethora of different models at a popular ford dealer adds to confusion in inventory level with the above Khichdi (we all know what's khichdi right?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dheepak10 (Post 4404581)
That sounds like the engine is labored to deliver 3 digit speeds. This will have an impact on FE.

Well, may not be. Reason? 2950rpm is <50% of what the engine is capable of. There is still juice till about 4200 rpm where the peak torque lies.
It is similar to 100km/h coming up at 2000rpm on a diesel with a 4500rpm rev limit.

In the case of the Honda 1.2 petrol, 100 comes up at ~3200rpm in 5th gear and we all know how good the FE numbers are at that speed from say a Jazz or an Amaze.

To sum it up: Had it been a less free revving engine without VCT/VVT etc, then it would have been a concern.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford5 (Post 4404674)

Older 1.2 petrol 5 speed on Figo S (which is a pointless variant now given the updated freestyle)

Brand new 6 speed on updated Ecosport 1.0 turbo petrol and possibly older and non-updated 5 speed box on the updated ecosport.

Wish they had thought of this with the Figo S and given it the Ecoboost engine or the 1.5 petrol.
They know either way, the S will be bought mostly by enthusiasts , so may as well could have given a more powerful petrol engine like what they did with the Ecosport S like they did now.

Probably they may launch a Figo S after the face lift is launched and hopefully that has a more powerful engine although the new 1.2 is 95bhp.

From the looks of it, Ford seems to have remembered the Fiesta S suddenly and decided to use that 'S' brand from exclusivity, but they should have gone the full hog like they did on the Fiesta.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmenon (Post 4404157)
He asked me how soon can I make the payment since there is another customer for the Smoke Grey Titanium Plus.

He hinted that whoever makes the payment first will get the car.

But I love the car hence the dilemma.

Edit: Got a call from the SA. He said we can maybe make a down payment of say 1L or so and make the rest of the payment before delivery.
I think that is an acceptable compromise.

But all advice is welcome.

If you have booked the car, then the normal practice at Ford is that the car is assigned to your name from the factory. So rightfully that's your car. But if they insist, pay the 1 lakh if they agree to refund it.

If you miss out on this car, either go to another dealer or wait it out - no point in compromising for another car. These waiting times will seem insignificant once you get the car in hand. Try your best, but remember - patience is the key.

I met Kranti (NDTV Raftaar) when he was reviewing the freestyle in Greater noida.
Looks small in flesh to be a proper crossover, I would pick the s-cross over it anyday,
the only good parts being high GC, and ford's low cost maintenance.

Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-33778517_1947790345232638_5148116378451968000_n.jpg

Boy is this a hidden gem or what!!? ESP, HLA, TCS and a proper bumper, all under 8 lakhs:Shockked:. Why are people still queuing up for Swift and Baleno?

I never made a note of this car as Figo never interested me. But after a casual go through I am thinking of speeding up my next purchase (My 8 yr old Fabia has done its time). Sure it has some shortcomings --- rear space, LED head lamps, and Auto Tranny especially. But even if it does perhaps Ford will bring their DCT, instead of a CVT which is my choice for maintenance and cost. Eagerly looking for ownership reports, yet to find one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cents (Post 4406714)
Boy is this a hidden gem or what!!? ESP, HLA, TCS and a proper bumper, all under 8 lakhs:Shockked:. Why are people still queuing up for Swift and Baleno?

I never made a note of this car as Figo never interested me. But after a casual go through I am thinking of speeding up my next purchase (My 8 yr old Fabia has done its time). Sure it has some shortcomings --- rear space, LED head lamps, and Auto Tranny especially. But even if it does perhaps Ford will bring their DCT, instead of a CVT which is my choice for maintenance and cost. Eagerly looking for ownership reports, yet to find one.

Indeed it's rare to find the mentioned comprehensive safety features at such a price.
If recent conversations are anything to go by (plus the example of Ecosport), Ford is expected to switch out the DCT boxes in favor of TC boxes on AT versions of Freestyle / facelifted Figo / Aspire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cents (Post 4406714)
But even if it does perhaps Ford will bring their DCT, instead of a CVT which is my choice for maintenance and cost. Eagerly looking for ownership reports, yet to find one.

Don't think Ford is going to bring up automatic transmission anytime soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthusiast (Post 4403974)
ACI reports that Ford is not considering AMT as its jerky performance would ruin the fun-to-drive nature of their cars. Also, the Torque converter of EcoSport isn't likely to be rolled out this year in the 1.2L engine.

link