Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2018, 14:10   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Does the Freestyle come in trend+ variant? I don't think so. Ambiente, Trend, Titanium and Titanium + is all that I am aware of.
I assume he meant 'above the Trend' variants, because, soon afterwards he mention that Ambiente and Trend do not get the updates. Anyway, could have been a bit more clear.
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 14:25   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I assume he meant 'above the Trend' variants, because, soon afterwards he mention that Ambiente and Trend do not get the updates. Anyway, could have been a bit more clear.

The cars in #233 have steel wheels, definitely not Titanium. So, most likely it starts from Trend. From some earlier posts, it appears like Ambiente is just a namesake variant. Which means, practically all of them will have adjustable headrests.
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 17:00   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Does the Freestyle come in trend+ variant? I don't think so. Ambiente, Trend, Titanium and Titanium + is all that I am aware of.
Sorry for the confusion.
Only the Petrol has introduced the Trend Plus variant.
Updated features start from trend plus in the Petrol and Titanium in Diesel.

Attached is the updated price list for Mangalore.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New Doc 2018-09-27 18.18.06_2.pdf (262.3 KB, 743 views)
snaseer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 17:03   #244
BHPian

Thanks for the clarification. So what does trend plus offer more than the normal trend apart from the adjustable headrests?
Old 28th September 2018, 21:24   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. So what does trend plus offer more than the normal trend apart from the adjustable headrests?
Apart from adjustable headrests it comes with body colored ORVM.
Old 28th September 2018, 23:10   #246
BHPian

Freestyle is listed with a width of 1737 mm whereas the Figo and Aspire both have a width of 1695 mm. What changed? Isn't the Freestyle based on the same platform as the Figo twins?
Old 28th September 2018, 23:42   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
What changed?
Body cladding. 1737 mm means roughly 2 cm additional bulk on each side over Figo.

Last edited by self_driven : 28th September 2018 at 23:44.
self_driven is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 23:50   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Body cladding.
Thanks Self_driven. That makes sense. I thought they had broadened the car which may make it easy for 3 adults to seat comfortably at the back.
AKTRACK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 07:05   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
Thanks Self_driven. That makes sense. I thought they had broadened the car which may make it easy for 3 adults to seat comfortably at the back.
Honestly, this "3 people in the back" thing is very subjective. Too much bias is given to it. It all depends on how big/small (physically) the people who use the car are. For a family of short, thin people, even an Alto's back seat is comfortable. (That's about 50% of India's population).

And all of us will travel with 3 squeezed in an Autoriksha uncomplainingly.
samaspire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 07:38   #250
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Honestly, this "3 people in the back" thing is very subjective......

And all of us will travel with 3 squeezed in an Autoriksha uncomplainingly.
I think that is because people let go off things which are not in their control. An autoriksha being owned by someone else, you cannot ask him to increase the width at rear or to upgrade to a better wider one. But while buying a car, one have the choice. And three people at rear are completely dependent on floor design too.

A wider car with a huge transmission tunnel (like in Vento), will be a nightmare for the middle passenger than in a car with an almost flat transmission tunnel. The third passenger thing is actually a jugaad being done in India. No headrests for third passenger, even the seat base is raised to make the left and right side contoured, and only lapbelts available clearly shows ‘it is made up for India’. I believe most of the so called five seaters in India are actually a four seater by design.
pavi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 08:49   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaseer View Post
Sorry for the confusion.
Only the Petrol has introduced the Trend Plus variant.
Updated features start from trend plus in the Petrol and Titanium in Diesel.

You're kidding me. Are you saying they introduced a variant for head rest and body colored ORVM . Besides, black ORVMs were thematic, not for cost cutting. Would the extra 4000/- even compensate them for the production hiccup at the assembly line?!!! Perhaps, along with Ambiente, now even trend will be a name sake product.
2cents is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 18:44   #252
BHPian

I completed the PDI of my Freestyle today. Deliveries for ruby red variants with adjustable headrests have begun. Attaching some pictures:

Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-img_20181006_172930_hdr.jpg

Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-img_20181006_172507_hdr.jpg

Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-img_20181006_171857_hdr.jpg

Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-img_20181006_171832_hdr.jpg

I told my SA that I won't be available for PDI on any Saturday starting next weekend and can't visit showroom today as I'm working. My SA sent a driver to pick me up from Yeshwantpur and drive all the way to Bidadi for the PDI and drop me back to my home.

I changed my mind from petrol to diesel to Figo S to petrol again and my SA smiled on all the changes. I said I can't visit bank as I don't have leaves; the dealership financier visited me at my home at ungodly hours to take my signatures; I said I can't do a PDI as I'm working on Saturdays and a free pickup was arranged

For all the mixed Ford sales experience, I couldn't have asked for anything better. Kudos to Cauvery Ford!

Last edited by kaushikduttajsr : 6th October 2018 at 18:59.
kaushikduttajsr is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 03:19   #253
BHPian

I have been following Ford Freestyle since last few months post launch and planning for one (Diesel) around December/January . On paper - the car meets all my needs to the T , but after taking a number of test drives , following are my preliminary observations -

1. Overall driving position is relaxed but clutch travel too long , and my left knee is in close contact with the side of the dash board when I am in my ideal driving position , or there is almost no space left between my knee and dash board side ; I never had this problem with my previous cars ( I am only 5-7" ) ;

2. Front Seats are a wee bit tiny ; They are good in shape and offers good back support , but I would have liked a bucket seat type feeling that cocoons you and ideal for long drives - is missing ;

3. The diesel engine starts with a vigorous shake , then settles down to a low hum and gone after driving for 10 minutes ;

And some positive points , coming from a TATA diesel car driving experience for quite a few years -

1. NVH is well controlled for city speeds ; almost as good as petrol I would say , though it remains to be seen what it turns into after 3 years of abuse!!

2. AC is very good , quite chilling , even in a hot Delhi afternoon , inside of the car was cool in no time !!

3. Low end pick pick-up is good , and mid-range is powerful too ; the turbo lag of Fiat MJD that I am so used to - is really absent here ; I could not take it into highway for some spirited driving , but the car was composed and good handling under acceptable speed within empty city roads , and braking did not nose dive. Electronic steering feels lighter though !

4. Back seat has very good knee room - but seats are a wee bit shorter , I would have preferred a little longer bench for the back seat;

While none of these are real deal breakers for me , I am a bit worried about the seating position and long clutch travel in the long run . I will probably take a few more test drives before a final call .
TechNomad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 16:31   #254
BHPian

Update: I had asked my SA to get me the leather seat covers with cutouts for the airbags. The accessory guy calls me up and says that ford has strictly asked them not to install seat covers on the titanium+ variant.

I am out of words!

Mods: Please merge this post with my earlier post if required.
Old 9th October 2018, 16:56   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikduttajsr View Post
The accessory guy calls me up and says that ford has strictly asked them not to install seat covers on the titanium+ variant.
Could this be because it interferes with the airbag deployment? If you notice other brands with 6 or more airbags, either they get leather seats from the OEM or they dont have the option of putting leather seats with cut outs etc. So this could be an instruction keeping the safety of occupants or the design of the airbag in mind then? Did the accessory guy tell you the reason why they are not supposed to install the seat covers?
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed