Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2019, 19:47   #361
BHPian

Re: Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Overall I am mighty impressed with this vehicle, it's driver centric. Had it been a Maruti, this would have easily done 10k+ figures. I am eyeing the titanium model which comes to 8.41L OTR (including 3rd & 4th year warranty with RSA). If this had an AT, I would have booked it eyes closed, but that for now is a good-to-have feature for me rather than must-have.
I was just about to point out that you made a mistake in the pricing as the Titanium petrol is sub 8 lakhs till I realized how much Karnataka RTO charges :O

Same car in Mumbai is around 7.8 lakhs without any discounts. Thats a crazy difference.

But yes don't worry about the Fuel economy. My dad has this car and he gets around 12 - 13 in the city and around 15 on the highway.

I haven't driven the car much but its very planted on the highway. My Ignis has a similar stance but its so much lighter that you can really feel the difference on the highway.

The only negative I don't like is that the Titanium version doesn't have Android Auto support and the built in maps is pretty useless. Also the Touchscreen lags quite a bit. Aside from that my dad is pretty happy with the car and if given a choice I would have chosen the Freestyle over the Ignis if I had the budget.
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 21:06   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Romeo1 View Post
Got engine undershield for my car. Material of the part is not even proper plastic. Material seems similar to that of rear parcel tray. It can protect engine parts from flying debris only, don't expect anything more
This cover will definitely help you protect your engine bay compartment from flying objects and dust, but don't you think, it will also reduce the air entry from below, leading to rise in engine temperature than usual.

Do share your experience about that under cover
gjnnbagal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 14:39   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
One needs to be careful about what kind of material is used to make this kind of shield. Ideally it has to be heat and fire resistant else one runs a risk of fire or engine overheating (depends how it covers the engine bay).
I don’t see a point installing such contraptions, a fabricated metal plate would have been a better choice.
This is an official Ford accessory. I think they would have tested for these things.
TheCelestial is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 15:44   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjnnbagal View Post
This cover will definitely help you protect your engine bay compartment from flying objects and dust, but don't you think, it will also reduce the air entry from below, leading to rise in engine temperature than usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCelestial View Post
This is an official Ford accessory. I think they would have tested for these things.
I don't think so. My Punto had this engine cover (solid 4 mm thickness sheet metal). Even my Honda City (current generation) is equipped with plastic engine cover. Heat dissipation may not be an issue I guess.

As TheCelestial rightly pointed out, this is official accessory from Ford. In order to safeguard oil sump and turbo, this engine cover is must IMO. Please have a look at these threads :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...underbody.html (Stone destroys my car's underbody)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post3284732 (Underbody Hit & Cracked Sump : Implications, Vulnerabilities, Responsibilities)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
One needs to be careful about what kind of material is used to make this kind of shield. Ideally it has to be heat and fire resistant else one runs a risk of fire or engine overheating (depends how it covers the engine bay).
You have given me a reason to worry. Definitely this part is not fire resistant.
Old 14th March 2019, 18:34   #365
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

how much are automakers going to lose, by adding a solid metal plate as underbody shield (full marks to FIAT, the linea/punto had it as standard right from the beginning) ??
Either add it to the cost of the car or sell it as add-on accessory.

How hard can it be ?
(excuses like it will affect cooling of the engine bay, is total BS)
Old 5th April 2019, 11:31   #366
Senior - BHPian

Close on the heels of my Tiago JTP comes in the Ford Freestyle 1.2 Titanium .

Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-20190403_1748392.jpg
Mi10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 10:37   #367
BHPian

Recently took my dads Ford freestyle for a trip to Vadodara and back from Mumbai.

The car was really nice to drive. It felt very planted on the highway and there was plenty of torque to overtake even at 80 kph+.

People say the 3 pot dragon engine inside isn't as nice as the 4 pot K12 but honestly I felt the Freestyle engine is 95% as good as the k12. Its very refined for a 3 pot as I didn't like the tata tiago 1.2 engine.

The seats were pretty nice and I love the high seating which works great for my 6 ft frame. I didn't get fatigued driving the car inspite of all those bloody trucks hogging the fast lane and refusing to budge :(

Negatives was that I found the gearbox rather hard. I don't know if it was a car issue but my Ignis was definitely a lot smoother in gear changes.

And lastly Ford made a big mistake in not including Android auto in its lower end variants (only the top end variant gets Android Auto support). The variant I drove was the titanium variant and it comes with some useless built in maps. I am sure many would have preferred a slight price increase to include a touchscreen that supports Android Auto.

The AC was not very effective unless you put the blower very high which makes the cabin very noisy. Didn't like the noise so we reduced the blower but then the cabin didn't cool as much.

All in all a pretty good car but Ford needs to work on the equipment list and interior. The brown dashboard didn't look very nice.
bf1983 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 12:10   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983
The AC was not very effective unless you put the blower very high which makes the cabin very noisy. Didn't like the noise so we reduced the blower but then the cabin didn't cool as much.
You must be the only one in this entire forum complaining about Ford A/C performance.

Try to start your drive with MAX LOW in your Auto A/C settings. It will lower the temps to lowest & max blower speed. If your A/C is in normal functional condition like what it should be with Ford Figo platform, then no matter how hot it is, within 30 mins (max) you should be feeling enough chill to reach out for the temp settings.

Gradually move up the temps to a 20-23c settings. Auto A/C should lower the fan speed now & keep the cabin cool.

Make sure to keep the air recirculation mode on.

If you aren't getting desired cooling with this method, I think you need to get the A/C checked. Either there is some leakage in the cabin or the A/C is having some issue.
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 21:25   #369
BHPian

Quote:
You must be the only one in this entire forum complaining about Ford A/C performance.
I am a recent owner of Aspire and have not tested the full prowess of its A/C in Delhi's heat but my personal take is that its logic of auto A/c is somewhat different. Unlike conventional A/cs where the blower blows in chilled air untill the desired temp is achieved and then cuts off the compressor it feels like the Aspire A/C does not do that untill its setting is moved to MAX LOW. So if the temp setting is somewhere 24-25 then I don't feel the chill air even if the temp outside is 42. This was not the case with an auto a/c of Ecosport which I just travelled in.

On paper Aspire/Freestyle do have the highest capacity A/c compressors which should ideally translate to quite effective A/cs. Would be able to post more once I experience it more during upcoming summers.
Maverick Avi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 09:59   #370
BHPian

My 3 months (650KM on odo) old freestyle had an odd malfunction yesterday. Its TCS and Hill hold assist lit up and were constantly on during my 250KM/5 hour journey. I stopped the engine 7-8 times during this time and these lamps were constantly glowing. Note that TCS icon isn't showing "OFF". That means i didn't press TCS OFF button accidentally. Hill hold wasn't working at that time. Surprisingly. Both lamps disappeared during last leg of my journey. What could this be? I was constantly annoyed during my journey as i wasn't happy with such malfunction on a brand new car.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-img_20190512_134226.jpg  

hgps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 22:12   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post
Surprisingly. Both lamps disappeared during last leg of my journey. What could this be? I was constantly annoyed during my journey as i wasn't happy with such malfunction on a brand new car.
It could be a lose connector to the sensor or rat bite which is not severe enough to stall the car but just throw up the warning sign. Did you check your engine bay for any frayed wires or rat prints ?
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 11:59   #372

I'm new here but can't help diving in this thread before introducing myself.

I've just had engine heating issues in my freestyle Titanium plus petrol. They've replaced the radiator fan in warranty. Ford has issued standing instructions to do so.
I suspect that poor AC performance can be linked to the car doing an thermal trip on the compressor to keep things in control. Please get your vehicle's checked for these errors and the AC cooling issue too.
Another observation, the car makes no beeps and hoots when the engine heat warning lights up. Thats weird. So please watch the dash. If u notice poor cooling and also heat warning signage light up. Then the fix is quick at ford. And they seem aware already.
Drive safe. Glad I'm here.
PCCrit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 13:56   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post
My 3 months (650KM on odo) old freestyle had an odd malfunction yesterday. Its TCS and Hill hold assist lit up and were constantly on during my 250KM/5 hour journey. I stopped the engine 7-8 times during this time and these lamps were constantly glowing. Note that TCS icon isn't showing "OFF". That means i didn't press TCS OFF button accidentally. Hill hold wasn't working at that time. Surprisingly. Both lamps disappeared during last leg of my journey. What could this be? I was constantly annoyed during my journey as i wasn't happy with such malfunction on a brand new car.
I faced the same problem when my baby ford was just a month old. Took it to the service center and they were quick to show a chewed off abs wire. Please beware of rats near your parking space. Abs, hill hold and TCS all work using the same system - all of them malfunction if there is any issue with the abs sensor / connection wire.

Last edited by kaushikduttajsr : 18th May 2019 at 13:58.
Old 18th May 2019, 22:28   #374

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thanks to Nagendra Shreeniwas for posting an important update regarding the Head Unit fitment for the Freestyle Ambiente (Base) variant:
Quote:
Originally Posted by _nitink_ View Post
I talked to that person over Facebook. (I am also a part of the FB group in which he posted these pictures) He told me that he sourced the face plate from a car accessories store in Palika Bhawan, R.K. Puram, Delhi. I have the contact details of that shop if anyone is interested. The shop owner also has couplers for the Aspire and the Figo for the ICE.

My friend has also purchased Ford Freestyle Ambiente diesel. He wants to get sony single din audio system installed in his vehicle. Problem is that compatible connector for audio system is not available. It will be very helpful if you (@Nitink) can kindly provide the details of the shop owner who has the coupler or has made with injector wires.

One more question is whether he has made the required coupler with some generic coupler or simply inserted the injector wires into the vehicle coupler and secured with some insulation tape?
It will be very kind of you if can kindly help.

I am attaching the picture of the coupler in the Ford Freestyle Ambiente.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-freestyle-audio-system-adapter.jpg  

onecar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 08:09   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikduttajsr View Post
I faced the same problem when my baby ford was just a month old. Took it to the service center and they were quick to show a chewed off abs wire. Please beware of rats near your parking space. Abs, hill hold and TCS all work using the same system - all of them malfunction if there is any issue with the abs sensor / connection wire.
It happened to me while I was driving from Bangalore to Salem. I called the SA and he said it's not a problem and I can come to the service center the next day. The solution was a software update at the service center. So looks like there could be multiple reasons for the traction control off light to glow.
thiyags22 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks