Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2019, 21:08   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Can the lower variants' drum brakes be swapped for discs? Would this be a straightforward plug and play job for a Toyota dealer?
Old 20th April 2019, 07:20   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Can the lower variants' drum brakes be swapped for discs? Would this be a straightforward plug and play job for a Toyota dealer?
I doubt if Toyota dealer will even entertain this request. Please go through following thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post3068908 (Drum brakes to Disc).
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 17:09   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
I doubt if Toyota dealer will even entertain this request. Please go through following thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post3068908 (Drum brakes to Disc).
Seems like the opposite is true. See post 51 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post2996833 (Drum brakes to Disc)) of the thread you linked where the discussion is about the Verna, a car that also had both disc and drum options.
Old 20th April 2019, 19:56   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
I doubt if Toyota dealer will even entertain this request.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Seems like the opposite is true.
Toyota dealers have to abide by TKM's rules and any modifications, especially on critical chassis and engine systems, are not permitted. Forget chassis or engine, in my experience, they don't even install aftermarket ICE systems and accessories even when I offered to pay for the labour. During the subsequent service, the job card mentioned every single non-OEM part for e.g. the ICE, the Hella horns, the extra wiring in the engine bay (for the 4 Ch and SW amps) etc. All this remains on TKM's record. Previously they recorded Amaron (when only Exide was approved), Michelin tyres (when BS was approved)

Last edited by R2D2 : 20th April 2019 at 20:01. Reason: typo
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2019, 11:41   #215
BHPian

Friends, as you know, the Yaris armrest is useless. My other car being an S-Cross has a very comfortable hand rest. So I have been contemplating to modify the hand rest to a usable design.

Initially I thought of opening the hand rest top cover and installing a modified and extended top panel. But the curvature of the base plus adaptation of the locking mechanism in the new panel seemed to be a tedious task and with no expert hand to help in my city, I discarded the idea.

Then I browsed AliExpress for something but I was still looking at a 2500 rupee budget. From there, I got an idea of fabrication of a simple doable extender. The same was costing 3000 Rs from Ali Express, but of course it was properly fabricated. My total cost involved is 320 Rs = 300 for fabrication and 20 rs for velcro strip.

Fabrication was a simple job, 18" by 4" 6 mm ply which was covered by a 2" foam and black rexine. It was attached to the older hand rest by a velcro strip.
I wanted the front area to be wider but my carpenter said he cannot do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Yaris : Official Review-img_20190512_111607.jpg  

Toyota Yaris : Official Review-img_20190512_111616.jpg  

Toyota Yaris : Official Review-img_20190512_111636.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2019 at 09:57. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts properly
drsnt is offline   (7) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 12th May 2019, 13:12   #216
Senior - BHPian

Seems ingenious. But I would be worried about it staying put in case of emergency, as its only contact with the car is a piece of Velcro. In this very thread, I have posted a video where whole arm rest was installed forwards. Can something be done on that line? That will free up space for the rear middle passenger as well.

I think Toyota should be awarded some award for worst design for this idiotically placed stand (it will be far fetched to call it an arm rest). I don't recollect seeing such a design failure in any car.
ani_meher is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 13:18   #217
BHPian

Price variation over one year
One of the negatives with Yaris when it was launched was that it was "simply overpriced". So, when I bought "V" variant, I did price comparison mainly with Verna SX(O) Petrol automatic and found Yaris to be costlier by 35K and even mentioned that it should be priced 50K less. City ZX CVT was ruled out as it was too costly, and Yaris VX was costlier than City ZX CVT too.

It appears over the last one year, Toyota has retained the prices (I am sure they are still giving discounts) while others have hiked prices of their sedans.

Name:  Yaris Price Variation.png
Views: 6082
Size:  6.7 KB

Now, Yaris VX with 7 airbags, all-disc brakes, ESP, HSA, TPMS seems value for money compared to City ZX for safety conscious customers.

Last edited by Simhi : 18th May 2019 at 13:19. Reason: spelling
Simhi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 16:09   #218
BHPian

Even if the price has remained the same over the last one year, its still high compared to a Hyundai Verna or VW Vento. Infact, a fully loaded diesel Verna automatic with 6 airbags is cheaper than a Yaris VX CVT.

Basically, I consider only the base Yaris to be a good buy, the higher variants are highly overpriced.
Old 25th May 2019, 10:43   #219
Team-BHP Support

Do we Android Auto anytime soon on the Yaris? I mean, I can't imagine cars half or even below that price having android auto/carplay, but not this.
Old 25th May 2019, 11:40   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Do we Android Auto anytime soon on the Yaris? I mean, I can't imagine cars half or even below that price having android auto/carplay, but not this.

That has to do with Toyota's stupid stubbornness. AFAIK even their flagship product (read : Fortuner) is devoid of it. The Glanza might be the first Toyota that comes with it though 😄
Old 26th May 2019, 20:55   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Please refer to following articles
https://www.android.com/auto/toyota/...491.1558884061

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/7/18...tacoma-4runner
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/toyota-...ews-29353.html

As per the article, Android Auto will be available in Yaris (Europe Only). I am hoping it will be available in Indian Model Yaris next year, if Toyota continues to sell Yaris and plans to bring facelift.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 19:03   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota YARIS reaches a new low. Dispatches its lowest ever numbers in June - 121 units.

Nissan Sunny and Fiat Linea are the only 2 below Yaris 's numbers.

Source: Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 23:05   #223
Senior - BHPian

What the Yaris needs :-
1. Price correction.
2. Android auto/Apple car play.
3. Bigger and better designed alloy wheels.
I am sad a car which offers a host of safety features is not doing well. Looks are subjective and I think the Yaris is a decent looking car, it just needs a little bit of makover eg the wheels which look disproportionate to the rest of the car.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 08:47   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
What the Yaris needs :-
1. Price correction.
I think discounts are already being offered. However, that will not help the case. I see the following happening

1. Toyota discontinues Yaris and starts selling rebadged Ciaz
2. Toyota brings Yaris facelift at reasonable price addressing all issues with current model - Android auto/Apple Car Play, Dead Pedal, Driver Armrest etc.

I am leaning towards Toyota selling rebadged Ciaz instead of putting more effort in reviving Yaris.
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 17:18   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota YARIS reaches a new low. Dispatches its lowest ever numbers in June - 121 units.
Toyota Yaris to be soon be taken off the shelves ?

Speculation is that the Toyota Yaris is likely to be replaced by the rebadged Maruti Ciaz soon in India. (Source)

In June 2019, Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM) dispatched just 121 units of the Toyota Yaris, which is a whopping 94% down from 1,919 unit dispatched in June 2018.

Toyota Yaris : Official Review-sedansalesjune2019hondacitymaruticiazhyundaiverna.jpg
jailbird_fynix is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed