Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2020, 11:19   #316
BHPian
 
Simhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 533
Thanked: 970 Times
Default Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
These paddle shifters...are they the only way to have some manual control in the CVT version? That’s only top variant.
You don't need paddle shifters to use Manual mode (M+ /M-). Refer to the snapshot attached. When you put the lever into the highlighted slot, you are in Manual mode. This is available in all variants.

Name:  Yaris_CVT_Manual.JPG
Views: 2045
Size:  31.4 KB

Last edited by Simhi : 7th October 2020 at 11:22.
Simhi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 13:57   #317
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Thanks @simhi, much appreciate.

I just went to their website and one thing that stood out to me was how much value for money this car seems to be. J-option is the base model that goes at less than 10L. Lets see if its comparable to other cars.

J-option MT (base): 8.86 lakh
I bet other sedans will be in the same ballpark.

But the whole point is that the Yaris base model doesn’t compare directly to other sedan’s base variant. Goes to show India is not a subtle market when it comes to variant configuration.

If you look at other sedans, the way most cars are packaged is that they delete some crucial features from the lower variants.

Height Adjustable Drivers seat:
People have different height and you would think this is a must in a car. Yet, most cars don’t have it in their base variant.

All Alloys:
Don’t know of any car that has them in the base variants

LED/Projector headlights:
Again reserved for the top variants

Safety features as standard:
All those EPS, ABD, VSC
6 airbags
All disc brakes

And so many others. line AT across all variants (base 9.something)

Now, Yaris base variant (8.86 lakhs) comes with all the above features except 6 airbags (they deleted it after realising that mass India works in a certain way.) People will only pay for safety features as standard if they come free as compared to certain show off features.

Was surprised to read Yaris was expensive.

Last edited by nandadevieast : 8th October 2020 at 13:57. Reason: Typo
nandadevieast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 09:17   #318
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 14
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

I too own a Yaris J CVT and feel that is one of the most underrated cars in India. Its definitely the best in class when it comes to engine refinement, ride comfort, quality of fit & finish, NVH and how it handled India roads. However nobody even seems to notice. This is stated in some of the video reviews, even from 2018, but is lost among a lot of unnecessary negative coverage on the rubber band effect of the CVT.

To a point, after watching close to 20 video reviews and reading some written ones from 2018, I even felt that this was some systematic effort to discredit this car of all the "sense it made as a sedan"

The base J variant had most of what I needed, including alloy wheels. The only thing missing was the stereo (but the speaker were preinstalled) which gives great flexibility to choose an audio system to our desire.

On the point of fuel economy, some Yaris users are getting more than 20 kmpl on the highway (easily understandable reason being that at 100kmph, the engine is spinning only at 1600 rpm on the 7th gear in the CVT) and I saw a review in youtube where someone tested the car at 100 kmph, 90 kmph and 80 kmph on the Yamuna express way and noted a mileage of more than 18, 20 and 22 kmpl respectively.

I also feel that step CVT in Yaris with tiptronic available in all variants, IMHO is better than the Honda CVT box in certain scenarios.

In 2020, with more than 3.5 lacks difference between Yaris CVT (10.9 Lacs OTR) and the Honda CVT (14.4 Lacs OTR) and the greater fuel efficiency that Yaris offers, this should be the best seller in the segment when it comes overall strengths and VFM. However, due to the lack of proper messaging even in our team bhp community, people are not getting the opportunity to discover this beauty in the crowd.

It would be good if the team bhp review team can re-review this car in light of the current BS6 environment and increase in automatic adoption. Maybe new insights from the review team might help a lot more people confidently approach this car for consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
Hi, some of you who own this, what’s your take on CVT performance on inclines or hills? Climbing up and down...

We have couple of threads on this but wanted to ask actual users of this car.

Is there a manual over-ride available in this type of gear box? Some way of engaging low gears or engine braking?
It performs really well, just that you need to know how to drive it. In inclines, just move to level to the tiptronic mode and you are in for a treat and a good usable torque to play with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
On the verge of finalizing and booking the Toyota Yaris J (Option ) 6MT . Final price of around 9.7L OTR after about 40K in discounts and 20k off insurance.
If possible budget wise, go for the CVT (just 70k extra) ... thank me later

Last edited by benbsb29 : 14th October 2020 at 10:02. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
simplehuman is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 13:35   #319
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

You said 7th gear in CVT? I was made to understand it has infinite gears/steps?

What is step CVT?

Tiptronic is basically D+- right?

Thanks.

I agree it's a great/better car for a City, Verna user. For an enthusiast there could be other cars like Rapid/Vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplehuman View Post
at 100kmph, the engine is spinning only at 1600 rpm on the 7th gear in the CVT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplehuman View Post
I also feel that step CVT in Yaris with tiptronic available in all variants, IMHO is better than the Honda CVT box in certain scenarios.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2020 at 07:26. Reason: Typos, quote tags fixed
nandadevieast is offline  
Old 14th October 2020, 17:06   #320
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 14
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
You said 7th gear in CVT? I was made to understand it has infinite gears/steps?

What is step CVT?

Triptronic is basically D+- right?
Step CVT - In traditional CVT, the input pully (check out any CVT overview on link ) which come closer OR goes apart across its range of motion allowing the belt to work with the output pully to provide a continuous variation in ratios (gear rations).

However, in step CVT, there are steps programmatically set in the transmission control unit to force the variations by asking the input pully to proceed step by step from one ratio to the other.

So, even thought the pully moves continuous through its range of motion, it still follows the steps (7 in the case of Yaris), thus allowing the drive train to follow more quickly (allowing it to ride the torque curve) . This is supposed to minimize the rubber band effect and bring in more efficiency than the traditional CVT.

When we move the gear lever to the right to access the tiptronic mode, this is the same 7 steps that we gain access to, however, at this instance you as the user has full control over the upshift till the rpm redline. (downshift is still automatic and controlled based on the rpm in case we miss to downshift)


And yes tiptronic is D, then to the right and up(+) shift or down(-)shift.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2020 at 07:21. Reason: Quote tag fixed
simplehuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 18:32   #321
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Thanks for taking time to explain. 🙏

When you say the downshift is still automatic even in Triptronic/manual mode...does that mean that we can’t downshift in D+- mode by going “minus”?

What will happen if we are going downhill and we want to manually downshift for engine braking....

Thanks


You as the user has full control over the upshift till the rpm redline. (downshift is still automatic and controlled based on the rpm in case we miss to downshift) [/quote]
nandadevieast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 21:13   #322
BHPian
 
CEF_Beasts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 453
Thanked: 2,071 Times
Default Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplehuman View Post
I too own a Yaris J CVT and feel that is one of the most underrated cars in India.

this should be the best seller in the segment when it comes overall strengths and VFM.
I definitely agree with you that the Yaris is seriously underrated and doesn’t sell the numbers it should. Well there are a few reasons for it;
1.) It was damn expensive at launch, after which a correction was made in the prices! Once you have made the mistake it is very difficult to attract the same customer back!

2.) the car did everything good by segment standards but nothing excelled in any department be it performance, space, features, price!

If Toyota had kept prices low initially and later on increased it this would’ve have been the best seller by a large margin!

Toyota has got the success and high prices of the Innova and Fortuner in their heads so much that they overprice every single car in India! When you are a new entrant in a segment then you can’t keep prices of the car above the segment leader (Honda City). Toyota doesn’t get this fact, till then their new cars other than the Innova and Fortuner will keep bombing. No wonder they had to go to Maruti Suzuki to save them.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 14th October 2020 at 21:15.
CEF_Beasts is offline  
Old 14th October 2020, 21:35   #323
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 14
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
Thanks for taking time to explain. ��

When you say the downshift is still automatic even in Triptronic/manual mode...does that mean that we can’t downshift in D+- mode by going “minus”?



Yes, we can downshift by using "minus-". However, if we don't, the car will

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post

2.) the car did everything good by segment standards but nothing excelled in any department be it performance, space, features, price!
Agree, however, on point no:2, I feel that engine refinement, ride comfort, quality of fit & finish, NVH and how it handles India roads - Yaris is excellent.

Also, these days where
(a) demand for petrol car are increasing because of the lower price difference between petrol and diesel
(b) BS6 requirements have put a downward pressure on diesel car mileage
(c) the market trend showing an increase in adoption of automatic cars
(d) the price cut on the Yaris compared with 2018 launch day prices
(e) the features offered in the lower J Optional variant including a CVT box at 70k extra

Yaris is a no brainer! ...thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Toyota Yaris has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 8.75 - 14.07 lakhs (ex-showroom, all-India).



This review has been jointly compiled with Vid6639. Thanks to him for the expert observations!
@Aditya - Is it possible for someone from the review team to re-review the Yaris in light of the current environment (see my previous post here) / market landscape (Eg: competition getting more expensive) and update the review findings?

- definitely only if you or other reviewers feel so...but think this car needs a relook

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 15th October 2020 at 12:04. Reason: Mod note attached.
simplehuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 00:40   #324
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

I think they haven’t really slashed the prices of this car. On the contrary, they increased the price by a whopping 1.65 lakh on 7 airbag models.

Yaris is expensive doesn’t hold water now as other manufacturers have massively caught up, not because Toyota has slashed the prices.

And suddenly, with price parity, Yaris becomes a great buy when we compare base variants. Still all alloys, 3 bags, AT in all variants, all discs?, projector headlights, sturdy body, handling, and above all, a badge of reliability.

While the forums here are a bit on an enthusiasts side, and rightly so as the push for technology and performance comes from there...in general the opinion of some members on this car was a bit knee jerk, though the review itself was fantastic.

Its a bit sad to see the thinking behind launching these “option” models by Toyota. They learnt perhaps, and we made them realise equally, by not buying these cars, that safety is not a preference with most of us.

So there we have it now, the tried and teated formula of 2 airbags being offered as option models, at lesser prices.

Message is that, yes we made a mistake by making safety features (7 bags) standard. So here is what you want.

Engine was another criticism, but Toyota is known for offering less powerful but better displaced NA engines, perhaps in favour of long term reliability. Like all Toyotas, this is also boring car, but we already knew that.

Then, dismal sale number = bad car was another reaction, and so was the panic around Yaris being discontinued. Flop was the word often used, but that only tells us the sales numbers, not necessarily how good the car was. Rapid and Linea T-jets are/were flop cars when compared to City/Ciaz numbers but we all know what these cars are/were, i understand the example is wrong but this is just to say sales numbers are not everything.

All these opinions are based on going through this entire thread.



Quote:
Originally Posted by simplehuman View Post
Agree, however, on point no:2, I feel that engine refinement, ride comfort, quality of fit & finish, NVH and how it handles India roads - Yaris is excellent.

Also, these days where
(a) demand for petrol car are increasing because of the lower price difference between petrol and diesel
(b) BS6 requirements have put a downward pressure on diesel car mileage
(c) the market trend showing an increase in adoption of automatic cars
(d) the price cut on the Yaris compared with 2018 launch day prices
(e) the features offered in the lower J Optional variant including a CVT box at 70k extra

Yaris is a no brainer! ...thoughts?
Sorry about back to back posts, please delete if not relevant or already posted.

Toyota has an assured minimum 55% buyback scheme on Yaris and Glanza to boost confidence and ease purchase decision. (13th July, 2020, The New Indian Express)

Up to 60,000/- discount on Yaris for October, 2020 (carwale).

Last edited by Sheel : 15th October 2020 at 12:09. Reason: Pls = Please. No short forms / acronyms. Please type in full and avoid back to back posts.
nandadevieast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 07:15   #325
BHPian
 
Simhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 533
Thanked: 970 Times
Default Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
Safety features as standard:
All those EPS, ABD, VSC
6 airbags
All disc brakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
And suddenly, with price parity, Yaris becomes a great buy when we compare base variants. Still all alloys, 3 bags, AT in all variants, all discs?, projector headlights, sturdy body, handling, and above all, a badge of reliability.
Are you sure about all disc brakes in base variant too? Since launch, J and G variant had drum at the rear and disc in the front. Only V and VX variants had disc brakes both at front and rear.
Simhi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 10:31   #326
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 14
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
I think they haven’t really slashed the prices of this car. On the contrary, they increased the price by a whopping 1.65 lakh on 7 airbag models.

Yaris is expensive doesn’t hold water now as other manufacturers have massively caught up, not because Toyota has slashed the prices.
Speaking in number terms, they did slash prices from the 2018 rates, when the launched the Optional models in 2019 with 3 airbags. (they have an airbag for driven knee protection as well apart from the standard 2 we see in the market)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
Engine was another criticism, but Toyota is known for offering less powerful but better displaced NA engines, perhaps in favour of long term reliability. Like all Toyotas, this is also boring car, but we already knew that.
I never felt the engine to be boring at all, infact it was pretty fun to drive it even in the city.

If you look at this Toyota Yaris : Official Review-capture.jpg comparison table, there are some very interesting insights you can find.

1. Yaris peak torque comes at 4200 rpm for a non-turbo petrol engine with a lot of torque available at very low rpm
2. the chart also reveals that most of the turbo competitions need to get above 1500 - 1750 rpm to at least be drivable, when Yaris CVT is cruising with a song at 1400 rpm (no wonder it has excellent mileage, even more than the MT)
3. if you have not driven the Yaris CVT yet, then, forget the posts here (most have not driven Yaris), find it out for yourself, take a test drive of the BS6 2020 Yaris

Not saying that this is a rocket, however, this is the most "optimized" machine in C2 across all aspects and has the most bang for the buck. (Knowing about Toyota Kaizen Methods, I feel that 2020 BS6 Yaris is definitely an improved avatar from the one in 2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Are you sure about all disc brakes in base variant too? Since launch, J and G variant had drum at the rear and disc in the front. Only V and VX variants had disc brakes both at front and rear.
No, J(O) and G(O) does not have rear disk breaks , but then again with 60-70% of the braking efficiency coming from the front (disks in this case), having drum brakes in the rear is not a let down.

I would comment that it is better to have drums in the rear (instead of disks) if you want to use hand brakes to do some controlled drifting at occasions.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 15th October 2020 at 12:06. Reason: Mod note attached.
simplehuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 22:42   #327
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,361
Thanked: 2,082 Times
Default Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Considering the roof mounted ac will blow air near the rear occupants face will it not cool better at the back than traditional rear mounted vents on the centre console which will blow air over the occupants knee caps? Can Yaris owners comment on same?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 20th October 2020 at 23:07.
sumeethaldankar is offline  
Old 20th October 2020, 22:47   #328
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,697
Thanked: 2,728 Times
Default Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Considering the roof mounted ac will blow air near the rear occupants face will it not cool better at the back than traditional rear mounted vents on the centre console which will blow air over the occupants knee caps ? Can Yaris owners comment on same ?
Where do you want to feel cold, face or knees? There is a reason the four AC vents in front are targeted at the face of the riders, and not the knees

The wind on the face is definitely more soothing and quick acting than knee high AC vents. Though it negates the possibility of sunroof.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th October 2020 at 23:29. Reason: Quoted text edited
ani_meher is offline  
Old 21st October 2020, 10:07   #329
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,361
Thanked: 2,082 Times
Default Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
The wind on the face is definitely more soothing and quick acting than knee high AC vents. Though it negates the possibility of sunroof.
Yes the face is preferred, but is it effective in the Yaris is what I am trying to find out? I read somewhere that it just makes a lot of noise and does not work that great.
sumeethaldankar is offline  
Old 21st October 2020, 10:50   #330
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 134
Thanked: 920 Times
Default Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Yes the face is preferred, but is it effective in the Yaris is what I am trying to find out? I read somewhere that it just makes a lot of noise and does not work that great.
Yes it is very effective. The only time my parents complained was when we had parked the car in hot sun and they turned it on as soon as entering the car. Hot air generally stays on top and it literally started blasting some hot air on their face but the AC on this car is very powerful. It cooled within a minute. After this incident we always wait for a minute before turning on the roof blower. I do agree it makes lot of noise at max speed but it is very effective so we bring the speed down to 1 or 2 after few mins.
nagr22 is online now   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks