Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2018, 12:19   #31
BHPian

Re: 2018 Hyundai Creta Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
A question, can the OBD Scan tool work with the older Creta ? is it even available as an accessory or a part?
Even if it doesn't, third-party OBD devices work with old-gen Creta and offer similar functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayram.r View Post
A quick query - Can you buy the top end Alloy wheels as an accessory for the lower variant?
Was possible in the old gen but the pricing was prohibitive. You can get 17" momo rims and still save some compared to the price Hyundai charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If I had a penny every time I've witnessed children hitting the RFID based boom barrier at my apartment's entrance

People don't learn even after seeing others fall for this stupidity.

Last edited by Nonstop-driver : 5th July 2018 at 12:28.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 14:02   #32

Great Review. As always!!

A beautiful looking car but oh my a pricey offering. Car this size at the given price range should ideally come with all the mechanical goodies along with the creature comfort
(which again is far from complete).

I often am forced to think if it's us (the buyers) or the car companies (the sellers) who is ignorant? We realize the price is high for the car but the sales number contradict that notion!!

We have, in the past rejected pricey but excellent vehicles to the likes of Mitsubishi's/Ford's/Fiat's. Has something changed now? Is it the purchasing power, or the class factor, or the love for looks, or is it what I like to call a Zombie effect :-)

I still believe it's a great car and surely a performer. It's just the value for money aspect that makes me wonder!
SaGa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 14:43   #33
BHPian

Superb review as usual.
I have thought about why people are ready to pay a premium for a good product but not for a great product from other brands.
1. Single car families: Most families have one car and this car has to be an allrounder. Unlike western countries where people have multiple cars. So our country seeks the best compromise.
2. Buying power: Developed countries have two advantages a)cost of the car for the salaries they earn and the credit for buying new car (USA has 1-2% interest rate compared to 9-10% in India)
3. Used car market: India's used car market is slowly improving, but in the western countries this is an advantage as they can dispose the car easily. In India we see what will give the best resale value for our car.
4. Reliability: More of notion than fact, we feel Japanese cars are more reliable than the euro, true, but the gap is over exaggerated.
5. Status: At least a few neighbors should feel jealous and we should not look like fools buying a non-popular car.
So when we make a purchase decision it has to match a lot of criteria than just the engineering. Maruti and Hyundai know this and using it much to their advantage. Honda going the same way.

Last edited by aniyo : 5th July 2018 at 14:44.
aniyo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 17:01   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaGa View Post
often am forced to think if it's us (the buyers) or the car companies (the sellers) who is ignorant? We realize the price is high for the car but the sales number contradict that notion!!
The higher the segment, the less price sensitive the customer. Generally, one can get away with premium pricing in the 10+ lakh segments. The Yaris has seen 2/3rds of its bookings for the automatic, despite the AT costing more and the car itself being premium priced. Heck, as you climb up the ladder, you can even get away with obscene overpricing - just ask Audi, BMW & Mercedes.

Under 10 lakhs, the head rules over the heart. Over 10 lakhs, its the opposite. There is no need the Creta fulfills that the Verna or City don't. But it's the "SUV" styling, higher seating position etc. As is evidenced by the sales figures, people "want" the Creta.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 17:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
Sorry!
Thanks for this. Never thought of this scenario
Not even manja just any crash or sudden halt will mean that kids end up breaking their ribs or snapping their necks while standing out through the sunroof. As educated folk we should not have to see these things happening to recognize the possibility of their occurrence.

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2018 at 17:04. Reason: Making it more general, not anyone's kids in particular
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 19:37   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaGa View Post
Great Review. As always!!

A beautiful looking car but oh my a pricey offering. Car this size at the given price range should ideally come with all the mechanical goodies along with the creature comfort
(which again is far from complete).

I often am forced to think if it's us (the buyers) or the car companies (the sellers) who is ignorant? We realize the price is high for the car but the sales number contradict that notion!!
The Creta represents very good value. Class leading refined petrol and diesel engines, strong build quality, excellent features on the car and top notch resale value. It has no competition in the segment actually. You would expect the manufacturer to charge 10% more for this unique situation
bhpfaninblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 22:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
[center]The clutch is uber light, but it sure has a long travel range - longer than you'd expect in a car-based SUV. Owners will definitely complain about this aspect.
Clutch is uber light when the car is brand new. The more you drive in city driving conditions and you will see the ugly face of it. Lot of previous generation creta owners complained about the hard clutch and repeated clutch burn out.

Did the facelift improved on the breaking?
This is another major complaint that the ABS is too sensitive and makes the driver nervous during emergency breaking
kmsithan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 10:51   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsithan View Post
Clutch is uber light when the car is brand new. The more you drive in city driving conditions and you will see the ugly face of it. Lot of previous generation creta owners complained about the hard clutch and repeated clutch burn out.
I think the clutch longevity is a function of driving style. My first car Swift clutch was replaced at 20K. I had complained about the poor clutch quality in Swift. My second car Ritz diesel's clutch was as good as new at 40K km when I sold it - the evaluator said so.
I realize that in my driving journey of 10 years, I had become a better driver. We all like to believe we are the best drivers and that car manufacturers have poor clutches. (For all you know, someone who had a clutch replacement at 3k kms might have driven with handbrake for 100 km without knowing).

Clutch longevity is mostly a function of the driver and the driving conditions.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 11:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

There's a fair amount of agreeable appreciation for certain qualities of the Creta, however it's just that the alternatives have improved since the Creta was launched and with the omission of some 'nice to have' features (which people generally expect from a Hyundai), IMHO there are different alternatives for people willing to cross-shop.

Capable machines like the XUV & Hexa aren't far away & to be honest, they're each capable (& significantly more spacious) compared to the Creta in many ways & do have a premium image as well.

Anyway, Hyundai could've enticed ALOT more people who are shopping in that price range by just offering additional warranty & maybe an AMC plan, like Toyota!

My 2¢.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 6th July 2018 at 11:37.
Old 6th July 2018, 13:19   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The higher the segment, the less price sensitive the customer. Generally, one can get away with premium pricing in the 10+ lakh segments. The Yaris has seen 2/3rds of its bookings for the automatic, despite the AT costing more and the car itself being premium priced. Heck, as you climb up the ladder, you can even get away with obscene overpricing - just ask Audi, BMW & Mercedes.

Under 10 lakhs, the head rules over the heart. Over 10 lakhs, its the opposite. There is no need the Creta fulfills that the Verna or City don't. But it's the "SUV" styling, higher seating position etc. As is evidenced by the sales figures, people "want" the Creta.
Thanks GTO! Yes, I agree to what you are saying. Its probably the heart over head thing that make these propositions costly. Why miss out Thar for that matter (I love that car )

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
The Creta represents very good value. Class leading refined petrol and diesel engines, strong build quality, excellent features on the car and top notch resale value. It has no competition in the segment actually. You would expect the manufacturer to charge 10% more for this unique situation
Yes. As mentioned in one of the comments by GTO, it's the heart over head thing. I still believe it's a great car, and still believe the price is high!

Last edited by Zappo : 6th July 2018 at 13:26. Reason: Don't make back to back posts. Use multiquote option to respond to everyone together. You can also edit and add to your post in the 1st 30 mins.
Old 6th July 2018, 16:01   #41
BHPian

Thats really a fastastic review Aditya!
Smart watch concept instead of key is going to be trend setter. Proud of you Hyundai.
However, IMO, I feel Hyundai should have taken care of below points
* Hard keys around MID should have been avoided and be made as part of MID itself so that user gets the feel of touch screen MID to the full extent.
* Rubber cover over USB. I think its a miss out by Hyundai rather than a cost cut :P
* The complete console of wireless charging, charging socket & USB should have covered with atleast a flip kind of stuff inorder to get saved from kids or accidental habit of dropping the keys/wallets/other stuff in the cars.
* Sunroof should have been of enough size instead of providing a small and inadequate one.
Old 6th July 2018, 16:20   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Smart watch concept instead of key is going to be trend setter. Proud of you Hyundai.
Hyundai is only following the trend here - the concept was first shown by TATA with the Nexon last year.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th July 2018 at 16:27.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 16:39   #43
A M
BHPian

Quote:
* Hard keys around MID should have been avoided and be made as part of MID itself so that user gets the feel of touch screen MID to the full extent.
I would rather thank Hyundai for retaining the hard keys. Hard keys are anyday far safer to use while driving.
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 17:08   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend drove the diesel AT and he wasn't impressed (loved the manual though) with the overall experience. Went ahead and bought the Tucson (quite a jump).

Quote:

* The complete console of wireless charging, charging socket & USB should have covered with atleast a flip kind of stuff inorder to get saved from kids or accidental habit of dropping the keys/wallets/other stuff in the cars.
1. Trust me, this is one feature that's sorely missed in high end cars. The reviewers crib about this when they review luxury cars since you tend to take your eyes off. I missed this when I drove my friends Jazz (that's got the touch sensitive buttons for the ACC).

2. That was one useful space gone to accommodate wireless charger. They could have integrated in the armrest. I would have hated this since I don't have wireless charging option in my phone and this space would have been wasted .
Old 6th July 2018, 18:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post

Capable machines like the XUV & Hexa aren't far away & to be honest, they're each capable (& significantly more spacious) compared to the Creta in many ways & do have a premium image as well.

My 2¢.
Creta has few advantages that attracts the upper-middle class buyer! It's smaller, so easier to drive within the city, give more fuel efficiency compared to other big 7-seater SUVs, Hyundai brand now has premium perception compared to brands like Maruti,TATA or Mahindra.

I personally would settle for something like Nexon or Brezza else would pick one from the options mentioned by you.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed