Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2019, 18:55   #196
BHPian

Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Booked the Diesel VX CVT Ace Edition in Vibrant Red. Will live with a few missing features. But the engine and CVT combination at the price range made it almost a no brainer. Abundant pull available on the pedal and that's what I would badly need for an Autobox.

To the mods -

I think it's time we strike off the negative point (won't like points in review) about Amaze Diesel CVT not being available in VX. The current top end is even better than VX, even though for a short time and volume.

I was also a bit curious about the negative point regarding Fuel Tank size. For a car with an average FE of 20 KMPL, a 35 Ltr tank gives a 700 KM coverage. Won't that be enough for a refill? Personally, I think tank size is relative to FE. My Altis AT has a much larger tank, but with an average FE of 9-10 KMPL, coverage is at least 100 KM less than Amaze. In that perspective, If the tank size isn't a negative point for Altis, is it fair to call it opposite for Amaze? Just a thought.
JBIBS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 09:44   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIBS View Post
I was also a bit curious about the negative point regarding Fuel Tank size. For a car with an average FE of 20 KMPL, a 35 Ltr tank gives a 700 KM coverage. Won't that be enough for a refill? Personally, I think tank size is relative to FE. My Altis AT has a much larger tank, but with an average FE of 9-10 KMPL, coverage is at least 100 KM less than Amaze. In that perspective, If the tank size isn't a negative point for Altis, is it fair to call it opposite for Amaze? Just a thought.
The FE of Amaze petrol auto is just 10 and hence the coverage is only ~300 Kms, which is indeed a big headache (can't even do a day trip without a refuel)
amit73 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 18:00   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit73 View Post
The FE of Amaze petrol auto is just 10 and hence the coverage is only ~300 Kms, which is indeed a big headache (can't even do a day trip without a refuel)
Very important point. Didn't know petrol engine is returning such low FE. My bad. Point noted and in that case fuel tank size must continue to be in the won't like summary. But a bit more clarity will help I am sure.
JBIBS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 21:25   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Very important point. Didn't know petrol engine is returning such low FE. My bad. Point noted and in that case fuel tank size must continue to be in the won't like summary. But a bit more clarity will help I am sure.
I feel obliged to clarify a few points:

1. The FE of 10 on my Amaze CVT is NOT on a national highway, it is on congested roads where constant speeds cannot be maintained for long. On the rare occasion when I did drive it on national highway, I got a FE of 12+. I would love to know what FE others are getting for CVT and how different CVT FE is from manual (we might have a better understanding of the same from City since CVT was introduced in Amaze only in the facelift).

2. I was very keen to buy Diesel Amaze CVT but, in the end, dieselgate and the uncertainty around the future of diesel cars in India (specifically NCR) made me go for petrol

3. FE and tank capacity apart, I am thoroughly enjoying the car and am a fully satisfied customer although I would have loved to buy VX which was not available at the launch (which is when I bought my car). The paddle shifts are really useful on the petrol as it does not have the power of the diesel mill.

4. I frequently travel in hired cars from the same segment and feel that the ride quality of Amaze is much superior.

Last edited by amit73 : 24th June 2019 at 21:38.
amit73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 17:48   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Experts, Badly in need of suggestions.

Am spoilt between making a choice between Amaze Diesel CVT top end (special edition is here now !) and Baleno Petrol CVT

Eagerly await some suggestions. I tried to find some relevant discussion threads, but didn't find a direct comparison between these 2 mills. Hope I get some open and honest feedback.
Quote:
Booked the Diesel VX CVT Ace Edition in Vibrant Red. Will live with a few missing features. But the engine and CVT combination at the price range made it almost a no brainer. Abundant pull available on the pedal and that's what I would badly need for an Autobox.
Since there is very little info about the Diesel CVT, could you post the experience once you have taken delivery of the car. Would be of great help to many!!!
Old 1st July 2019, 20:53   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Since there is very little info about the Diesel CVT, could you post the experience once you have taken delivery of the car. Would be of great help to many!!!
My pleasure. It's been 3.5 days since I took the delivery and the car has run for around 100 km and mostly within City. Initial impressions -

1. It's a breeze in city traffic. Butter smooth to drive and as I mentioned earlier, it got more than enough torque to tirelessly drive you around, even when fully loaded. I got it loaded with 4 adults and 2 kids, and it still felt effortless. That's the best part I have experienced about this car so far. I am saying this even when it faces a direct competition from my Altis 1.8 Autobox.

2. Both the families who spent time in the car were certain that it is quite spacious even at the back. Back seat could easily afford 3 people.

3. There is a bit of clatter from the engine bay since this is a Diesel. But the clatter is barely heard in cabin, even with AC on. Switch on the music and you will forget that it's a diesel.

4. I took the Ace Edition and I must say that it looks gorgeous in Radiant Red with the accessories fitted. Black seat covers as they come in this edition do make the interior look more premium. And then I always fall for blackened wheels, which just adds to the Red beauty.

5. Difficult to comment on FE at the moment as it has run for barely 100 km. But I filled around 33 ltrs and range shown was a whopping 865 km . It got guts I must say. Though it has fallen down to 710 km by now.

6. Head unit is alright with respect to touch sensitivity. I haven't seen any lag. Phone connection has been seamless. Voice clarity is brilliant, at least receiving part in the cabin.

7. Music quality is more on warm side. I will call it decent for most. Nothing to write home about when I compare this to the JBL set up in my Altis with old HU.

8. Ride quality (suspension) is well tuned for Indian roads. It's quite comfortable on bad roads. Not bouncy and I like that.

9. Seating position for driver can be set really high. I can see the entire engine bay, and it does feel like a mini SUV in that position. Kind of a very different experience in a sedan, but I have started liking it. My wife is super happy as she is 5.3 feet.

10. Cabin is quite muted for a car which does not have a rear fender lining, bare-bones trunk , and hollow roof lining. Didn't expect that.

11. Hate to see a non-alloy spare wheel, also smaller (14 inch)

12. Cheap soft rubber window beading all around. These also being black are dust magnets. They even catch your fingerprints. Same with foot step area. All black and complete dust magnets. Make the car dirty in no time.

I will add further updates once I munch more miles.

Last edited by bblost : 1st July 2019 at 21:04. Reason: Removed extra smiley.
JBIBS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 14:02   #202
BHPian

I am baffled by exclusion of Cruise Control in the recently added top end CVT since I have been driving cars with this combo (Auto + Cruise Control) for a long time. Does anyone know the rationale behind this?
Old 6th July 2019, 15:25   #203
BHPian

Quote:
I am baffled by exclusion of Cruise Control in the recently added top end CVT since I have been driving cars with this combo (Auto + Cruise Control) for a long time. Does anyone know the rationale behind this?
The most baffling omission in the Amaze is the lack of adjustable rear head restraints. The current fixed ones are suited only to very short people.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 08:39   #204
BHPian

Quote:
It definitely is a sore omission. I too miss cruise control in Diesel CVT. Was on the freeway yesterday for a hundred kilometres and kept going for it only to keep missing it.

But I guess it's not so baffling because Honda possibly wanted to make the Petrol manual look a little more salable with cruise control in the competition. They would have purposefully omitted the feature from Diesel CVT to create both internal and external competition which could help the sales guys to add a point when asked "Why Amaze Petrol". As such the Diesel CVT is a brilliant package and this omission does not make it weaker. A clever omission instead, if I think from sales strategy perspective. Value add you see. And, they could also bring it to the Diesel CVT later as part of a Facelift, who knows, just like they brought the VX CVT ! I think Honda is very well aware of what it's doing.
Old 7th July 2019, 11:30   #205
BHPian

Quote:
It definitely is a sore omission. I too miss cruise control in Diesel CVT. Was on the freeway yesterday for a hundred kilometres and kept going for it only to keep missing it.

But I guess it's not so baffling because Honda possibly wanted to make the Petrol manual look a little more salable with cruise control in the competition. They would have purposefully omitted the feature from Diesel CVT to create both internal and external competition which could help the sales guys to add a point when asked "Why Amaze Petrol". As such the Diesel CVT is a brilliant package and this omission does not make it weaker. A clever omission instead, if I think from sales strategy perspective. Value add you see. And, they could also bring it to the Diesel CVT later as part of a Facelift, who knows, just like they brought the VX CVT ! I think Honda is very well aware of what it's doing.
Cruise Control is missing from both - Diesel CVT as well as Petrol CVT (VX).
Old 24th October 2019, 22:13   #206
Senior - BHPian

Guys, have small query about the front seats on the Amaze, had a short TD of the Amaze CVT Diesel and fell in love with what the car offers, only point of concern was the lack of undertigh support offered by the driver seats!

Does anyone else have an issue with the adjustment range or support on offer? I am almost 5'11 and prefer lot of leg-room while driving. I spend lot of time behind the wheels, so this is important from my point of view. Expected the seats to be as good as my Swift's. If this gets cleared I would go ahead and book one

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 25th October 2019, 10:34   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If they give all of it in the Amaze, it will be good bye City! Product segments need to be separated.
Quote:
Guys, have small query about the front seats on the Amaze, had a short TD of the Amaze CVT Diesel and fell in love with what the car offers, only point of concern was the lack of undertigh support offered by the driver seats!
I don't think others can help a lot since "comfort" is a totally individual experience & tolerances are as unique as fingerprints per person. I suggest you take another TD. A longer one with a mix of city & highway. Check what mood you come out with after the TD. If you feel there was something lacking - I'd say don't go for it. Don't compromise on a key aspect of driving. Especially since you feel its not as good as your current car. In future, even if in reality its no difference, this feeling of "my old car had this better" will keep on pricking you & ruining your new car experience. High probability.
Old 30th October 2019, 22:50   #208
BHPian

Quote:

Does anyone else have an issue with the adjustment range or support on offer? I am almost 5'11 and prefer lot of leg-room while driving. I spend lot of time behind the wheels, so this is important from my point of view. Expected the seats to be as good as my Swift's. If this gets cleared I would go ahead and book one

Any help would be much appreciated.

I am driving Petrol SMT from year 2013 and sad to state that I haven't found the perfect driving position. The driver seat doesn't offer any kind of support. It's like seating on a flat slab.
I've accepted the thing & manage the comfort by using a small pillow as lumbar support! And I am 5'7" with longer legs Hope this helps you.
distiller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 10:37   #209
NGM
BHPian

Quote:

I took the Ace Edition and I must say that it looks gorgeous in Radiant Red with the accessories fitted. Black seat covers as they come in this edition do make the interior look more premium. And then I always fall for blackened wheels, which just adds to the Red beauty.

I will add further updates once I munch more miles.
Is the Ace edition modification done at dealer side?

Is it possible for you to share some picture of Ace edition especially the rear spoiler and wheels ?

Any feedback from your side for the overall drive experience?
Old 5th November 2019, 11:41   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1... I would love to know what FE others are getting for CVT...
Not amaze but I drive the Jazz CVT and in bangalore I manage anything between 11-12kmpl at best that too by avoiding absolute peak traffic. Mine is 7-8AM & 3-4PM commute, so although its not free flowing but ain't choc-a-bloc traffic as well.
Quote:
4. I took the Ace Edition and I must say that it looks gorgeous in Radiant Red with the accessories fitted. Black seat covers as they come in this edition do make the interior look more premium. And then I always fall for blackened wheels, which just adds to the Red beauty.
Saw this in showroom last month when I went for my 3rd service & must say Honda's special editions lately have been good. I myself got the exclusive edition Jazz CVT and for 20k extra(over VX) the additions were tasteful
Quote:
But I filled around 33 ltrs and range shown was a whopping 865 km . It got guts I must say. Though it has fallen down to 710 km by now.
Don't trust that DTE much. It keeps changing with traffic. Everytime I tank up(capacity 40L) my DTE shows 500+, but by the time I cross 370-380, its nearing single digit with 1 bar remaining. This has been the phenomenon over last 6 months of ownership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
The most baffling omission in the Amaze is the lack of adjustable rear head restraints. The current fixed ones are suited only to very short people.
Tell me about it. Even in the Jazz they have those puny headrests which is good only for someone upto 5 feet height On long drives we use the neck-pillow bought for air-travel if someone tall has to sit at the back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Is the Ace edition modification done at dealer side?
Only the alloys come directly from factory and rest comes as a package with the car, the seat covers, spoiler etc which are fit at the dealership.

Last edited by SoumenD : 5th November 2019 at 12:03.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks