Old 30th July 2018, 14:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
• Diesel + CVT combination is unbeatable! Indisputably the segment best

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Diesel AT = Amaze (no contest…the smoothest)

Isn't the Ameo Diesel + DSG combination the best in segment?
Isn't the rubber band effect present in Amaze Diesel CVT?

Last edited by ank.nsit : 30th July 2018 at 14:13.
ank.nsit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 14:34   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Isn't the Ameo Diesel + DSG combination the best in segment?
I wouldn't consider it to be the segment best because:

- Whatever VW says, I don't believe that the DSG's inherent issues have been magically sorted overnight with some oil change. Its still an unreliable gearbox.

- The Ameo has no legroom at the rear (Amaze can seat one 6 footer behind the other).

- The VW's boot is the smallest in the segment.

- The basic car (Polo) is now 10 years old.

- I'd much rather deal with Honda's dealerships than VW's.

Hence, IMHO the Amaze is the segment-best Diesel AT.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 14:42   #18
BHPian

Dear blackwasp,

Brilliant review, You covered everything in detail.

In my extended family, We got delivery of i-DTEC V-MT on last Saturday. A gem of a car and improved over the last generation in nearly every way. The mileage as per MID surely AMAZES us.

Honda Amaze : Official Review-img_20180728_140132_bokeh.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 31st July 2018 at 10:42. Reason: Poor language & grammar
N4Nikunj is offline   (12) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 30th July 2018, 14:44   #19
BHPian

Awesome review Blackwasp.

Here is a useful video with complete details of accessories available for Amaze.
Flyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 14:46   #20
BHPian

Excellent review, blackwasp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
The Smaller yet Significant Things

...as well as the rear ones:

Is there any reason (other than cost cutting) why the paint finish is so shoddy here in this easily visible area? It's a big eye sore.
theredliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 14:54   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Is there any reason (other than cost cutting) why the paint finish is so shoddy here in this easily visible area? It's a big eye sore.
Running boards have a rubberised coating over which paint is applied. Usually the case in most cars (not sure of the high-end ones).
Gannu_1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 14:55   #22
NTO
BHPian

Yet another brilliant review. Though I have read and watched reviews of the Amaze almost everywhere, I still took the time to read this fully. That is the level off detail and attention given to writing and compiling the review here in team-BHP. Thank you for this wonderful piece of work!

Amaze definitely looks very mature and it is definitely a significant improvement over the previous gen Amaze.

I just have one point with the driver's seat fore and aft adjustment. In my Jazz V CVT, i feel, even when I push my seats to the end of the rail, I still am seated in a knee-up position. I would've liked my Jazz's driver seat to have gone a little behind. I am surely spoilt by the seat squab length of my Punto and this one is simply not sufficient. For reference, my height is 6'2". I test drove the Amaze, and found the seats are a bit lower on the Amaze, compared to the Jazz even on the highest position (probably due to increased GC and reduced height combo) and feel a litte more uncomfortable compared to the Jazz. Surely not a suitable daily driver for 6 footers. I just had this one opinion varying from this review.

That said, is there a possibility to alter the rails of the front driver's seat alone so that, the seat can travel a little more backwards?

Regards.
NTO is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 15:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Running boards have a rubberised coating over which paint is applied. Usually the case in most cars (not sure of the high-end ones).
I remember similar coating in my first gen Dzire; doesn't exist in my Jetta though.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 15:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review - went into the thick and thin of things !
My only gripe with compact sedans is sometimes it feels that companies willfully skip on quality / default accessories / trim levels.
The plastic quality on some trims, that welding concealer, the naked boot lid interiors, missing driver arm rest - serves as stark reminders that one is buying a 'compact sedan'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

There used to be a time where you could blindly recommend one car over the other, but today, it's entirely dependent on the engine + transmission.
I am on the lookout for a loaded petrol AT hatchback (second choice is a compact sedan) which shall be retained for the next 9-10 yrs has to be <4m long & <1.7m wide.
Currently leaning towards the new Jazz VX petrol CVT (9.07L Ex Showroom), but is the Amaze V CVT (7.99L Ex Showroom) more bang for the buck?
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 15:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
I remember similar coating in my first gen Dzire; doesn't exist in my Jetta though.
This is to protect the paint from bad roads = stones flying around and hitting the lower areas.
blackwasp is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 16:34   #26
BHPian

I know it's not an apt comparison but I wanted to know which would make a better buy Amaze Diesel CVT S at 8.4 lakh or the Maruti Brezza VDI AMT at 8.54 lakh. I had read somewhere that the mating in the Brezza is much better then the DZire though not sure. Could not get my hands on a TD car hence it's just a speculation. I think amaze would be better to drive then the Brezza but which one would be the better car overall as I feel there would be lot of cross shopping between the two. My sister is looking to pick one out of these two hence advise needed. Thanks in advance.
ToyotaFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 17:11   #27
BHPian

Thanks for the wonderfully detailed review and I was waiting for it. But, anyway, before this review was out, i booked the V CVT Diesel in Orchid White based on other observations in various Amaze 2018 threads, and awaiting delivery this week. I think it is an extremely value for money car for people who want space, descent drive & an Automatic around 10L. It just fitted my requirement. Thanks again for the review.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 17:14   #28
BHPian

Awesome review Kanad! Enjoyed reading every word and was worth the wait. Your attention to detail is fantastic, and wish you all the best for future reviews as well!

Coming to the car, I TD'd the diesel CVT. It was brilliant to say the least. As I said in another thread, this surely has the potential to change the fortunes of Honda in the country if they can scale up quickly and introduce this in the City etc.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 17:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Amaze Diesel CVT S at 8.4 lakh or the Maruti Brezza VDI AMT at 8.54 lakh. I had read somewhere that the mating in the Brezza is much better then the DZire though not sure. .
As mentioned in the review and my first hand experience extensively driving Amaze diesel CVT on the launch day, Amaze is the car to pick if your priority is a smooth, responsive and powerful diesel automatic. Both cars offer different value proposition, so it all boils down to your needs. Brezza AMT is still a jerky automatic, but offers better ride and handling, ground clearance and the impression of a bigger car.
xjosephjacob is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 17:28   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent and in-depth review as usual. Having test driven the Diesel CVT few weeks before for a friend, I could easily relate to few points you have mentioned in the review and especially the noise levels.

They have improved from its predecessor and by marginal extent and the clatter is neatly heard either when throttling in between regular cruising or even when floored. It becomes more evident while the needle is around 95 KMPH but all this gets settled when you have a beautifully mated and seamless CVT. Since the max we could touch during the TD was 95 KMPH, not much was experienced in terms of high speed behavior - Both Engine as well as noise. Brakes certainly felt more spongier than a typical Honda which I have always felt offers the best 'Bite'.

Moving from standstill in B2B is a boon and as you said, you only need to keep your legs on B pedal in D mode and play around with it to crawl ahead. Whether it is a slow moving signal or a toll booth - Will immensely help and feel stress free.

The Fit and Finish felt OK but that is exactly what I noticed in most Hondas in that show room on that day as we also checked the Jazz, WRV and the City. The Jazz felt more premium than the Amaze with regards to Interior fit and finish.

Overall, the Amaze today would be a very wise pick for anyone wanting a CVT in Diesel in that price range. AMTs and Diesel is like a forced marriage to me. Here you are getting a fully Automatic Gearbox with a competitive price range.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks