Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport S (1.0L EcoBoost) : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport S (1.0L EcoBoost) : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/201440-ford-ecosport-s-1-0l-ecoboost-official-review-2.html)

Fantastic Review as usual and Kudos to this forum !!!! While observing the images I noticed that the Signature edition has storage space behind the infotainment & touch screen but the EcoBoost S has a speaker grill .... so is there a different setup for speakers for eg. 4 door speakers + 2 front tweeters + 1 centre channel speaker for the "S" models ?
I didn't read anything on the speaker setup. Please excuse me if I may have missed it , also please enlighten on the sound quality also.
Thanks & best wishes~Mac_Guy555.

If someone buys an Ecosport for majorly highway drives then the Ecosport S 1.0 would fit the bill. It has a punchier mid range and the top end too, an extra 6th cog which would lead to better cruise-ability and FE as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiat_tarun (Post 4454046)

Which feature from the lower variants is missing in the S?

Automatic option and full leather seats perhaps?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guna (Post 4454136)
Automatic option and full leather seats perhaps?

Automatic yes, but I think the fabric in the seat contact areas is actually a good thing. With full leather in a friends Titanium + automatic, in the summers the seats get too hot and is very uncomfortable when you sweat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sahilkhurana (Post 4454049)
Great review as always !
Looks like while this engine is superior (in terms of HP) to VW's 1.2TSI, it doesn't look like it is as enjoyable as the TSI.
I know 1.2TSI is helped by a quick DSG, but still Ecoboost doesn't seem to come close to the TSI. Is this the right conclusion to draw?

Different cars for different people. :)

The 1.2 TSi in the GT is fundamentally different owing to the fact that its a four cylinder engine.

Ford seems to have moved away totally from catering to the pure enthusiasts. This is such a far cry from the erstwhile Fiesta S. When the Ford Figo Sports was launched, I was so happy that Ford was maybe again thinking of finally getting some part of their previous customer base back, who have probably moved to the Germans (like the GT TSi, which just seems like a more fun car overall, as you said). I was pretty excited when I opened this thread too, since I have always liked the Ecosport and was happy to see that they were doing an 'S' version on a petrol car again. But after going through the review, which is fabulously compiled, by the way, I cannot help but feel disappointed. Sure, the 'fun roof' is fun and all, and I quite like some of the aesthetic bits, but a true Ecosport S could have been made based on the Dragon engine, maybe with a different state of tune, a different suspension and the likes. I just don't see what the Ecosport S is trying to be. As a pseudo SUV/crossover, I have no idea why they would opt for such a setup of the 17 inch wheels.

Maybe this was the reason why Ford didn't want Team-BHP to review this car? Maybe some bloke had already realised that while the regular customer who isn't big on cars (doesn't read Team-BHP?) would be easily fooled by the 'cool' image, the strong community of enthusiasts here would not be hesitant to voice their thoughts. lol:

Again, amazing review! Rating a well-deserved 5*!

Neel

Great review, rating it 5 stars.
I'm surprised that an all-new generation is not in the pipeline yet, the car is 5 years already :/

Has the Ecoboost been re-tuned or is it just the GB making the difference for urban drivability?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4453910)

I like threads like these as it makes some matters amply clear to the manufacturer...

I'd say we should not discuss this anymore. I think we've had our share of bashing on the other thread. We know that our community is pretty helpful.

You guys have worked and put together a great review. Keep up the good work.

hi ,

thank you for yet another crisp and onpoint review.I am looking to buy a second vehicle to use along with my Mahindra Thar 2015 model. Most of my usage is in Delhi City and on the highway across North India.

I am a bit confused between all the different models that the EcoSport is available in.

I really like the look & features that the EcoSport S comes with. I have 2 questions -

1. Can the 1 Liter Ecoboost engine be re-mapped ?
2. Is there a diesel alternative to this engine, which comes with the same looks and features? if so which one is that

Thank you

Kundan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksingh544 (Post 4454248)
hi ,

I really like the look & features that the EcoSport S comes with. I have 2 questions -

1. Can the 1 Liter Ecoboost engine be re-mapped ?
2. Is there a diesel alternative to this engine, which comes with the same looks and features? if so which one is that

Thank you

Kundan

1.Yes. Code6/Wolff/Revo
2. The Diesel S gets the regular 1.5 TDCi same as the other variants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agambhandari (Post 4454250)
1.Yes. Code6/Wolff/Revo
2. The Diesel S gets the regular 1.5 TDCi same as the other variants.

so to clarify it has the regular 1.5 tdci engine but in physical appearance it looks the same as the Ecoboost variant, with all the same goodies and features? yes ?

Amazing review. The every aspect as been pen downed perfectly.
I will however anyday choose TDCi over the ECOBOOST engine. The diesel is too good to be ignored. Even people who have less running, I will suggest them to with TDCi. drove the EcoSport S petrol a few weeks back and I came back completely unimpressed. The dragon engine is equally matched to the Ecoboost and if I need a petrol, 1.5l dragon will be my choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4453917)
From the opening post :)

This actually makes me wonder whether Ford is over quoting power figures in the 1.5 given 1.0 has been engine of the year multiple times but then again the 1.5 is half more engine. What also surprises me is that 1.0 powered EcoSport is actually heavier. Lighter, smaller and more powerful were the design brief's and the eventual realisation with this engine. Perhaps the weight is due to other factors and not the engine alone.

All said, the new EcoSport especially this blacked out version is still a looker. Ford has't spoiled the styling. The insides are better too. Less cluttered.

I like the bold front grill in the new EcoSport/S, and the much better looking rear mounted FM antenna.

From the Beginning the Ecosport has been a handsome looking car...while the boot door mounted wheel is a huge hit in our country, even with the wheel removed, it looks good. Recently I had driven it in Europe and it looks good too. Going by the popularity, Indian Ecosport continues to get the boot mounted wheel.
Ford EcoSport S (1.0L EcoBoost) : Official Review-20180617_161252.jpg

The new Ecosport looks more classy and sexy with all that tasteful black bits.

I liked the interiors too but those coloured interior bits must've been in body colour (I first car that comes to my mind is the new global VW Polo). The fun-roof is a wonderful addition to attract customers.

The least said, the better about the variants. Ford may even beat Hyundai in this aspect. I don't know who is inspired by whom, but credit card and car variant names always sound the same to me - Signature, Gold, Titanium, Platinum :D

All in all, a wonderful CUV. If I'd be in the market for a car of this size, It would be tought for me to pick one. But it would be certainly between Nexon or ES

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel (Post 4454222)
Ford seems to have moved away totally from catering to the pure enthusiasts. This is such a far cry from the erstwhile Fiesta S. When the Ford Figo Sports was launched, I was so happy that Ford was maybe again thinking of finally getting some part of their previous customer base back, who have probably moved to the Germans (like the GT TSi, which just seems like a more fun car overall, as you said). I was pretty excited when I opened this thread too, since I have always liked the Ecosport and was happy to see that they were doing an 'S' version on a petrol car again.

Ford has an S version of the Ecosport they sell in the US market as well, although it is called the Ecosport S and not Titanium S and it looks similar to the Titanium S and it is sold with the same Ecoboost engine and a 2 litre NA engine which is the option for all their trim levels.

I guess more than the performance aspect of the S, it is just another trim level that is offered now.

Compared to the Figo S, they are making the Ecosport S exclusively with the Ecoboost engine for petrol heads which I feel is a good differentiator as well which is something they missed out on with the Figo S.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sahilkhurana (Post 4454049)
Looks like while this engine is superior (in terms of HP) to VW's 1.2TSI, it doesn't look like it is as enjoyable as the TSI.

No comparison. The TSI has one more cylinder and is wilder!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waspune (Post 4454054)
an extra 6th cog which would lead to better cruise-ability and FE as well.

Good point. Yes, it is more relaxed than the Dragon which does 100 km/h at 2,750 rpm. But I wouldn't consider that as a deal-maker. Most people spend 90% of their driving time at low rpms and that's where the Dragon is the ace. Shorter gearing can conceal the EcoBoost's lag, but not eliminate it.

For those who drive a lot on the highway, the 1.5L TDCi is the superior.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksingh544 (Post 4454248)
Can the 1 Liter Ecoboost engine be re-mapped

Don't remap for the heck of it. You'll be left with a lot of lag. Since you are open to the diesel, pick that only. It's the best engine of the lot.