Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2018, 23:49   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 Plus (2.2L mHawk) : Official Review

A good step taken by M and M to PowerPlus the TUV. The new MHawk plonked to the TUV 300 delivers 120 bhp/280 Nm torque @ 1800-2800 rpm . It has virtually the same technical specs as the 2009 Refreshed Scorpio's MHawk.

M & M plonks a particular engine to its SUV when launched. A few years later it switches over to the MHawk as its saviour. The Xylo as a MPV was launched in 2009, with the 2.6 L CRDI engine of the first generation Scorpio. This engine was named as the MEagle by M and M. It was expected to take on the Innova, saleswise. The Xylo showed robust sales in the initial years and then the sales petered out to 500 plus minus 100 units a month. A few years back they plonked the MHawk engine to the Xylo but its image had already taken a battering. The sales are only 500 or so units per month now.

The TUV 300 was launched in August 2015 with a three cylinder diesel engine of 1493 cc / developing 84 bhp Manual Trans / 81 bhp Auto Trans.

And now, after three years they decide to launch it with the MHawk. Had this engine option thought of when it was launched in August 2015, the sales figures could have shown some improvement all along ?

The KUV 100 is also not selling too well. So what next ? Will it also get the MHawk as its saviour ?

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 14th September 2018 at 23:52.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 23:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
I had a question, has anyone been able to buy the TUV300 Plus and replace the 2 jump seats at the back with a single forward facing bench seat along with 2 seat belts or lap belts? How will such a jugaad work for 2 kids at the back or 2 not so tall people?
How are you gonna get the 2 children or not so tall people into the hypothetical front facing 3rd row??
Geo_Ipe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 00:03   #18
BHPian

Looks like a little odd-ball with that curvy back and boxy front. TUV looks much better with all those angles. I doubt if someone is going to buy this for personal use. Screams Cab!
AKTRACK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 08:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Driving the 2.2L Diesel
Unlike the TUV300's 1.5-litre diesel unit, the Plus gets the superb 2.2-litre engine from the Scorpio & XUV500 in the 120 BHP guise (same as the pre-facelift Scorpio). This brilliant mHawk engine has transformed the TUV300's character. If you are buying a TUV300, get the Plus variant for this engine alone. The price premium is totally worth it. It's a jewel of an engine with good driveability, power, fuel economy and refinement.

Excellent review Blackwasp.

When I was in the market looking out for a new car for replacing our Fabia, in 2015, the first showroom we entered was a Mahindra. TUV300 had been launched just a few weeks earlier. Though the macho boxy look with a tank like stance was good, the engine was a big downer. The engine felt strained but was adequate for city driving. A stint on an empty stretch of road assured that the vehicle did not have much to show on a highway. The gear lever dancing around like a drunken monkey did not help the TUV's case either. We settled for a Baleno then.

Now with TUV300 Plus, engine is sorted out. Extra boot space at the rear is welcome. I will never see this as a 7 or 9 seater but a 5 seater with a humongous boot. It definitely is a much more modern option than either a Xylo or even a Scorpio. It would be interesting to see how TUV300 Plus stacks up against the just launched Marazzo.
vshankarhere is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 09:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nice review Blackwasp.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting the TUV300 Plus to be a not-so-good product which some of the online reviews were presenting it to be. Team-BHP's review feels more balanced and realistic. So thumbs up for that.

Coming to the car itself, it is a much better option that the more-expensive Scorpio. But since this one is targeted towards cabbies, there are high chances that it will attain a taxi image in the next couple of years ruining the experience for those who've purchased it for personal use.

The same thing happened with Xylo. For the first few years, it worked well in the market for personal buyers but later turned out to be an out-and-out commercial vehicle.

Not many people would be going for TUV300 Plus for its extra performance. For the masses, the 100 BHP TUV300 goes just fine. Two major attractions in the Plus model for personal-use buyers are -
1. More proportionate design
2. More boot space or a spacious third row (for seating 2 in last row)

While having a more proportionate design and added power is welcome, I am sure no one would want that additional boot/cabin space at the expense of second row leg room.

Additionally, the price premium turns out to be much more in terms of on-road price because of 4m-rule. The bare-bones base TUV300 Plus costs Rs. 11.25L on-road. Guess what, you get a fully loaded TUV300 T10 for Rs. 11.51L on-road or the T8 variant for Rs. 11.05L on-road.

For the top-spec TUV300 Plus, one has to shell out Rs. 13.34L. Paying almost 2 lakh rupees extra is not worth it for extra space in third row (at the cost of second row space) and 20 BHP gain in performance.

*all prices are on road Delhi.

Last edited by self_driven : 15th September 2018 at 10:10.
self_driven is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 10:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
How are you gonna get the 2 children or not so tall people into the hypothetical front facing 3rd row??
I forgot that the 2nd Row has no fold or tumble mechanism. But even if it were like Innova's 3rd Row Split Seats which fold outward (sideward), probably may be a better place to be in than 2 side facing bench seats.

Mahindra should have ideally given the 3 front facing row mechanism instead of this 9 seater. Even in a cab segment, using it in the hills will lead to people puking around, and unlike the Tata Sumo or Mahindra Maxx, the last row windows don't slide away to puke outside, so definitely this is not going to sell in the hills even in the cab segment.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th September 2018 at 13:00. Reason: Typos.
AdityaDeane is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 12:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Good design inspiration from Audi for the wheel design (which I still find boring):
Mahindra TUV300 Plus (2.2L mHawk) : Official Review-screen-shot-20180915-12.49.29.png
Mahindra TUV300 Plus (2.2L mHawk) : Official Review-screen-shot-20180915-12.33.48.png
adi_petrolhead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 15:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Trivia: I believe this is the first time that 2 TUV300 threads will be no. 1 & 2 on our homepage.
There is one more co-incidence, No. 5 on our homepage is another Mahindra (dhanushmenon's XUV 500).

Last edited by Amit_Kapoor4750 : 15th September 2018 at 15:42. Reason: Link to travelogue added
Amit_Kapoor4750 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 09:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What you won't:

• What's worse, 2nd row legroom has reduced in the Plus!
If this is the case, taxi segment"ll keep a distance from TUV300 plus. Space and comfort on the middle row of seats are some of the most desired features for a taxi.

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2018 at 10:32. Reason: typo :)
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 10:24   #25

Quote:
What you won't:

• 3rd seat row is only for kids or short adults. What's worse, 2nd row legroom has reduced in the Plus!
• Ride quality is nowhere as cushy as its car-based rivals. Can get bumpy
• Steering is on the heavier side at parking / low speeds. Requires effort to use
• No AMT Automatic. Sub-4m TUV300 gets it
• Some important features missing (rear a/c vents, seatbelt height adjustment, dead pedal, option of a 4x4 etc.)
• Mahindra's after-sales service quality is a hit or miss. Remains a gamble
Would have loved to see the "Boxy Design" being a hit-or-miss with customers in the "What you won't like list". I had indicated this point in the review for the Marazzo as well. With the exception of the XUV and the KUV, I find all Mahindra cars to be quite boxy. That design is one of the first deal-breakers for me when considering a Mahindra.

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2018 at 10:41. Reason: Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.Thanks!
EcoFox0718 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 10:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Good Review on a car that I feel will not do well due to lack of any clear value add and unique positioning within Mahindra's cluttered SUV line up.

They are better off putting all their focus on the MARAZZO than getting distracted by too many vehicles.

Also I am curious to know why the reviewer feels the Scorpio is a dated platform in comparison to this vehicle ? - I thought the new gen Scorpio is based on an all new hydro-formed chassis on which the TUV is also based. So either both are outdated or both or modern. What am I missing here ? Or are we merely going by the Scorpio body shell shape ? - Which in my view ( and the broader car buying public ) more desirable.

Also, on the boot space and loading up cargo, a word of caution. Its extremely risky to load up small pieces of luggage above the top most point of the rear back rest. in an emergency braking situation, you would have flying projectiles within the car hitting you from the back.
narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 10:36   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
I feel its not a family car in the conventional sense, a body on frame design can never match the comfort of unibody design.
Well said. The TUV300 with its heavy steering, clutch that requires effort, dancing gear lever, imperfect ride etc. isn't for the typical personal owner. For him, a 'softer & refined' monocoque vehicle like the Ertiga, Lodgy or even Mahindra's new Marazzo will be more suitable.

But the TUV300 Plus is a very, very viable alternative to the Scorpio & Bolero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Coming to the car itself, it is a much better option that the more-expensive Scorpio. But since this one is targeted towards cabbies
The base version might be, but the top variants are targeting personal owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Also I am curious to know why the reviewer feels the Scorpio is a dated platform in comparison to this vehicle ?
Body, packaging, space etc. As an example, the TUV300's driver's seat is more spacious. I also felt that the TUV300 has better fit & finish. And don't forget, the Scorpio still has rain gutters that I've last seen in a Premier Padmini!

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2018 at 10:42.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 10:56   #28
BANNED

Quote:
I have no doubt in my mind that the TUV300 Plus is going to take customers away from the Scorpio & Bolero, both.
It will woo customers, both cabbies and individuals from the Bolero, but the Scorpio, I dont think so.

The Scorpio commands a huge brand value aided by its road presence, better looks, better air conditioning and a quieter & peppier engine. The TUV still looks like a people mover, which it is supposed to be.

Mahindra now has taxi offerings across the Marazzo, Scorpio, Bolero, TUV Plus & the Xylo, now that's self-cannibalisation to the core..!!
n.devdath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 12:27   #29
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
It will woo customers, both cabbies and individuals from the Bolero, but the Scorpio, I dont think so.

The TUV still looks like a people mover, which it is supposed to be.

Mahindra now has taxi offerings across the Marazzo, Scorpio, Bolero, TUV Plus & Xylo, now that's self-cannibalisation to the core..!!
Quote:

But the TUV300 Plus is a very, very viable alternative to the Scorpio & Bolero.

The base version might be, but the top variants are targeting personal owners.
, it certainly looks to be a competent car for the purpose its been built for. But may not find a market big enough to move the charts.

In the taxi space it is likely to meet huge competition from its sibilings. And as a personal vehicle I am not sure if large number of us have evolved to be an outdoors society. Individuals may have ingrained some sense of adventure but as a family we still prefer malls to countryside for leisure. Another type of user may be startup/entrepreneur/small business, where it can serve the dual purpose of personal commute and carrying some load. But then again our cities are best served by bikes, scooters, rickshaws, rehra's and tonga's for load.
PGA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 16:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

In one line, TUV300 looks smart and TUV300 Plus looks Ugly :(

Really bad effort by Mahindra, looks like trainee people in Mahindra has done this as a project as part of their training completion. To their surprise, its launched by Mahindra in the market too !!
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed