Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2018, 18:52   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 Plus (2.2L mHawk) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gops2009 View Post
Has anyone got any information on the crash worthiness of TUV300 and TUV 300 Plus? Or is this something which is not a criteria for vehicles in this segment ?
In India , manufacturers have been able to just put some metal on wheels and sell these with impunity and there are more than enough takers in the market who buy without considering the safety of the build . Even the Scorpio, for all the beast that it is never broke into the US market due to its poor crash worthiness
If an Indian made vehicle is tested to EU NCAP standards and passes it, any manufacturer will put an ad campaign around it and even a large sticker if possible. So unless you see them, do not believe any news reports - it could be for export models etc.

Our country`s transport rules are framed after the realities in here, which is that a quadricycle is safer than a two wheeler. Safety cannot be looked at from only crashing into concrete at 60mph, its more complicated than that.

Making a rule that only cars with 5 star current EU-NCAP safety rating can run on the roads will ensure that the cheapest car will cost above 10L.

Realities of our country matter : A few years back, I get down from the bus and walk towards my home in one of the most expensive and considered safe neighborhoods of Bangalore , someone attacks me to steal my laptop. If I had any box on wheels , it would have been just another day. So I bought a Nano. Safe? Hell yeah.

Slowly we will also catch up with international regulations, 10 years back Airbags & ABS were only found in premium cars - Now even entry level hatch backs have them.
Kosfactor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 19:03   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
If an Indian made vehicle is tested to EU NCAP standards and passes it, any manufacturer will put an ad campaign around it and even a large sticker if possible. So unless you see them, do not believe any news reports - it could be for export models etc.

Our country`s transport rules are framed after the realities in here, which is that a quadricycle is safer than a two wheeler. Safety cannot be looked at from only crashing into concrete at 60mph, its more complicated than that.

Making a rule that only cars with 5 star current EU-NCAP safety rating can run on the roads will ensure that the cheapest car will cost above 10L.

Realities of our country matter : A few years back, I get down from the bus and walk towards my home in one of the most expensive and considered safe neighborhoods of Bangalore , someone attacks me to steal my laptop. If I had any box on wheels , it would have been just another day. So I bought a Nano. Safe? Hell yeah.

Slowly we will also catch up with international regulations, 10 years back Airbags & ABS were only found in premium cars - Now even entry level hatch backs have them.
Hi Kosfactor, sorry you got it all wrong, I'm talking about build safety, and there is a reason why crash tests are done and it is not because people are crazy to drive into concrete blocks !! We in this country take safety of any kind very lightly and a mishap is something that can happen only to the other guy. Atleast the industry needs to ensure they have vehicles with basic structural safety, which many of the vehicles sold today are lacking , putting airbags into a structurally weak body, just means that mortality by suffocation could be one more factor in the unfortunate event of a crash. What you say sounds to me akin to
Why do I need a helmet when I'm going to the grocery shop in the next street on my bike, or I'm only going on a short drive close to my hose so why should I not have my child sitting on my lap when I drive? It is always better to be safe than be sorry...
gops2009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 20:21   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why do I need a helmet when I'm going to the grocery shop in the next street on my bike, or I'm only going on a short drive close to my hose so why should I not have my child sitting on my lap when I drive? It is always better to be safe than be sorry...
I have not spoken about anything to this effect Sir. What I said was that safety cannot be looked at from only a crash test point of view.

Making cars unaffordable makes travel unsafe for millions.

OT: Unaffordable or unavailability of public transportation as well have the same effect.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 10:27   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kosfactor, sorry you got it all wrong,
Quote:
Making cars unaffordable makes travel unsafe for millions.

OT: Unaffordable or unavailability of public transportation as well have the same effect.
I totally agree with Kosfactor here. Remember what Ratan Tata used to say during the heady days of the Nano's launch?

Quote:
On a rainy day in November 2003, Tata Sons Chairman Ratan Tata noticed a family of four on a scooter - the father driving it with a young kid standing in the front, behind the handlebars and wife sitting behind him with another child on her lap.

Ratan Tata was moved by this incident and asked himself whether one could conceive of a safe, affordable, all weather form of transport for such a family.
Source: https://www.businesstoday.in/current...ry/239035.html

I concur that safety is a relative aspect. Instead of rural buyers of the relatively unsafe Bolero carrying 8-9 people around, you'll have the relatively safer TUV 300 Plus lugging that many people around.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 13:30   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Remember what Ratan Tata used to say during the heady days of the Nano's launch?
Yes, there was an ad about it as well.
I was a beneficiary of that man`s generosity. I do not think they made any money out of that incredible car.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 17:47   #66
BHPian

I haven't seen a single TUV300 Plus on Road in Bangalore yet. Was wondering what is happening.
Old 4th December 2018, 18:27   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
I haven't seen a single TUV300 Plus on Road in Bangalore yet. Was wondering what is happening.
I saw one parked in Hosur and one more on the Hosur to Chennai stretch, this past Sunday. Coupled with my own past sightings (I met a guy who'd proudly booked one in the outskirts of Chennai and I saw one parked inside Chennai), I'd say that the TUV 300 Plus only has takers outside of cities for the most part. Of course, you'd need to leave out nuts like me who love such beasts, city-dweller or not!
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 05:43   #68
BANNED

Quote:
I saw one parked in Hosur and one more on the Hosur to Chennai stretch, this past Sunday. Coupled with my own past sightings (I met a guy who'd proudly booked one in the outskirts of Chennai and I saw one parked inside Chennai), I'd say that the TUV 300 Plus only has takers outside of cities for the most part. Of course, you'd need to leave out nuts like me who love such beasts, city-dweller or not!
Add me that nuts-like-me list locusjag! But on a more serious note, I find it a little baffling. Here in Lucknow - and specially in my neighborhood - the place has a healthy population of TUV300-s, but I have not yet seen 300 Plus here.

Perhaps nut-case maybe right - something gravely wrong with me for loving this perfectly gorgeous creature! No matter, it still remains on top of that bucket list.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 05:55   #69
BANNED

Quote:
If an Indian made vehicle is tested to EU NCAP standards and passes it, any manufacturer will put an ad campaign around it and even a large sticker if possible. So unless you see them, do not believe any news reports - it could be for export models etc....
I found it very satisfying that both the Marazzo & the Harrier did very well recently in the Global NCAP ratings.
However I'll still reserve my opinion about "safe" cars. Until mfrs design cars from scratch (like Volvo) with safety as a priority, just adding airbags & isofix children's seats to get around safety regulations will remain just that - a palliative to soothe the nerves of the buying public, without the structural safety needed to save lives in the event of a shunt.
Old 10th December 2018, 08:55   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I found it very satisfying that both the Marazzo & the Harrier did very well recently in the Global NCAP ratings.
However I'll still reserve my opinion about "safe" cars. Until mfrs design cars from scratch (like Volvo) with safety as a priority, just adding airbags & isofix children's seats to get around safety regulations will remain just that - a palliative to soothe the nerves of the buying public, without the structural safety needed to save lives in the event of a shunt.
I think you meant Marazzo and Nexon!!
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 09:55   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
I think you meant Marazzo and Nexon!!
Oops, Aditya! You are dead right! - my bad!

Last edited by shashanka : 10th December 2018 at 09:57.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:12   #72
Senior - BHPian

Took a test drive of TUV 300 plus and I am very satisfied with the vehicle.

The underlying stiffness is felt but the UV felt at home over all the rural roads where you wouldn't dare to take your sub 180 mm GC cars/hatches.

Steering is miles better than the vague feel from the boleros, braking is predictable.

In a typical semi-urban/traffic infested 2 lane highway, I seldom have to cross 2k rpm and I can hold on from 1k-2k in any gear as long as I wanted to: this nulls the need for any automatic.

AC was very good, felt the cold draft even in the mid row. Didn't sit in the 3rd row.

TUV300's parts, trusted 2.2L engine, RWD. Ticks all the boxes and is a good choice for the rural folks upgrading from bolero.
ramzsys is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 18:15   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 Plus 7 Seater (Front Facing 3rd Row) details emerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
IndianAutosBlog has an interesting article on the 7 Seater (Front Facing) variant of TUV300 Plus to be launched some time next year (here)
Hello sir,

I know I am quoting an update you had posted way back in September 2018 over here...but I'm curious if you ever settled on a vehicle yet. I vaguely know that you live in a hill station and you've been looking for a viable 7 seater (or were looking).

Also, were you able to find out if the side facing jump seats can be replaced via jugaad with front-facing seats? I know you had asked that question at the very start of the thread. I don't know if Mahindra will ever launch the 7 seater TUV Plus, as in we can't be sure of that happening until it does. I remember a very old thread on this forum; a member had a Sumo Grande in which the 3rd row seats were two jugaad-fitted individual forward facing seats...
Old 9th January 2019, 00:13   #74
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 Plus 7 Seater (Front Facing 3rd Row) details emerge

Quote:
Hello sir,

I know I am quoting an update you had posted way back in September 2018 over here...but I'm curious if you ever settled on a vehicle yet. I vaguely know that you live in a hill station and you've been looking for a viable 7 seater (or were looking).

Also, were you able to find out if the side facing jump seats can be replaced via jugaad with front-facing seats? I know you had asked that question at the very start of the thread. I don't know if Mahindra will ever launch the 7 seater TUV Plus, as in we can't be sure of that happening until it does. I remember a very old thread on this forum; a member had a Sumo Grande in which the 3rd row seats were two jugaad-fitted individual forward facing seats...
Hello Locusjag,

No I have not yet bought my 7 seater. My heart is set on the New Ertiga ZXi AT now, probably in the 2nd half of 2019 it will adorn my garage. Marazzo interests me, but the price is too high and there is no AT option. I am not fond of Sub 4 Meter 7 seaters (TUV300 and Nuvosport) even though I find both those designs to be okay and not offensive.

I lived in Mussoorie. But now I live near Dehradun airport and may shift for a job to somewhere in U.P. in the next few weeks or months, hence no clarity on what exactly I need and how much can I stretch my legs for my next daily drive.

I still wish to see someone try out the front facing seats jugaad on the TUV300 Plus, as I have seen many such modifications on many Sumo and Bolero MPVs in my in-laws place (Darjeeling). The middle seat back rest of the front facing 3rd row is attached to the rear door and that is where people enter and exit the 3rd row from. It is inconvenient, but I am sure people can do better modifications out here if I can explain my requirements precisely to the fabricator/modifier.

Will update when I do finally settle on an MPV and book it. Thanks for the reminder! ;-)

Aditya Deane
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 12:48   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw a red and black dual tone TUV 300 Plus yesterday and a Red one today in Chennai. They looked so gorgeous!

Guess who's left fuming? (For the record, Mahindra had only silently launched the basic P4 version back when I was looking to buy...)
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed