Team-BHP - 2018 Maruti Ciaz Facelift (1.5L Petrol) : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   2018 Maruti Ciaz Facelift (1.5L Petrol) : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/202613-2018-maruti-ciaz-facelift-1-5l-petrol-official-review-5.html)

Got this as a Whatsapp forward. Looks amazing with the all black combo.

2018 Maruti Ciaz Facelift (1.5L Petrol) : Official Review-ciaz.jpg
Not hiding the number plate as it is circulated on WA.

Spoken with friends and colleagues recently and it seems the Ciaz is now back in everyones consideration set for a new purchase and the only other cars being considered are the City & Verna. Toyota has seriously messed up a good opportunity to sell the Yaris in numbers. I don't see many on the road and neither do we hear of people wanting to get one.
The competition is clearly superior in my opinion and the buyers have spoken !

Well the build quality of Ciaz simply does not exude any sort of confidence and it is a well known rattler. It only has blings which the owners can show off to their friends and relatives. Maruti ASS just cannot match Toyota ASS in quality.

Toyota has never played the volumes game ever in its history. Never have they compromised on the quality and durability for cheap profits which Maruti will certainly look for. Toyota simply does not want every Tom, Dick and Harry buying their products. They pull in only customers with certain profile.

Cheap does not mean better engineered product. Cheap corresponds to compromise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunramaswamy (Post 4486462)
Toyota has never played the volumes game ever in its history.

Just have a look at worldwide taxis and then you may want to reconsider your statement. Toyota, except a few niche offerings like Prius, has mostly done well world wide because of volumes. The Corolla nameplate still remains one of the most sold copies in the world. And Toyota has remained at the top spot for producing most cars for quite a few years. They must be producing so many because they are selling them, right?

Quote:

Toyota simply does not want every Tom, Dick and Harry buying their products. They pull in only customers with certain profile.

So, what do they do to filter out the 'Tom, Dick and Harrys'? Deny them the sale? Quite a sweeping statement, I think you will agree if you read it later. :)

Regards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 4486474)
Just have a look at worldwide taxis and then you may want to reconsider your statement. Toyota, except a few niche offerings like Prius, has mostly done well world wide because of volumes. Toyota Corolla still remains one of the most sold copies in the world.

That is because Taxi's trust Toyota to be reliable and low cost to maintain. It is a proven workhorse which can run without any major changes. Why should Toyota deny a sale to any customer who is interested in their product? Toyota has never bent over its back to sell Etios/Liva by giving hefty discounts unlike Renault and its Captur/Duster. And they have not done anything drastic to sell "low selling" Yaris. In fact they have only increased the entry point for their C2 Sedan. That's Toyota :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 4486474)
So, what do they do to filter out the 'Tom, Dick and Harrys'? Deny them the sale? Quite a sweeping statement, I think you will agree if you read it later. :)

Regards.

Toyota is not stopping anyone from walking into their showroom and buy their product. Just that Toyota has never gone out of their way to entice customers. They know their "target" and they also know their "target" will come to them and not go elsewhere.

The reason why I had posted my earlier contents is because everyone says Toyota messed up with their pricing. I say NO. Toyota has priced it bang on for their "Target customers"

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunramaswamy (Post 4486495)
That is because Taxi's trust Toyota to be reliable and low cost to maintain. It is a proven workhorse which can run without any major changes. Why should Toyota deny a sale to any customer who is interested in their product? Toyota has never bent over its back to sell Etios/Liva by giving hefty discounts unlike Renault and its Captur/Duster. And they have not done anything drastic to sell "low selling" Yaris. In fact they have only increased the entry point for their C2 Sedan. That's Toyota :)

Toyota is not stopping anyone from walking into their showroom and buy their product. Just that Toyota has never gone out of their way to entice customers. They know their "target" and they also know their "target" will come to them and not go elsewhere.

The reason why I had posted my earlier contents is because everyone says Toyota messed up with their pricing. I say NO. Toyota has priced it bang on for their "Target customers"

I hope your opinion is limited only to Indian market ? They do a lot of fleet sales around the world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunramaswamy (Post 4486491)
That is because Taxi's trust Toyota to be reliable and low cost to maintain. It is a proven workhorse which can run without any major changes. Why should Toyota deny a sale to any customer who is interested in their product? Toyota has never bent over its back to sell Etios/Liva by giving hefty discounts. And they have not done anything drastic to sell "low selling" Yaris unlike Renault and its Captur/Duster. In fact they have only increased the entry point for their C2 Sedan. That's Toyota. They never market their products and will gladly let their existing customers do it for them

Pricing is mostly just 'positioning' your product in a sector like automobiles. More so when talking about the C & above segments. Input/ manufacturing costs isn't that relevant. Some may even choose to cross-subsidize their cars through the models making higher profits. It's all about strategies.

Yes, Corolla and for that matter most Toyotas are known to be reliable workhorses and it has seldom been seen as a niche player. So, they ARE a volume player in the market, not only in India but world wide. Any manufacturer having a low market share just cannot qualify to be called 'niche'!

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunramaswamy (Post 4486491)
Toyota is not stopping anyone from walking into their showroom and buy their product. Just that it does not go out of their way to entice customers. They know their "target" and they also know their "target" will come to them and not go elsewhere.

Knowing your target segment is Marketing Basics 101. Every car manufacturer knows his- right from the Nano to the S class. Can't relate to the point you were trying to make in your original post.

Regards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srishiva (Post 4486497)
I hope your opinion is limited only to Indian market ? They do a lot of fleet sales around the world.

Honestly I have zero knowledge on how Toyota goes about its business outside India. Mine is only with respect to Toyota Bharath.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 4486498)

Knowing your target segment is Marketing Basics 101. Every car manufacturer knows his- right from the Nano to the S class. Can't relate to the point you were trying to make in your original post.

Regards.

My point was that Toyota does not stop anyone from buying their products or "Deny" a sale. Toyota is a premium product and they do want customers to reflect that. Hope I make sense now :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunramaswamy (Post 4486495)
That is because Taxi's trust Toyota to be reliable and low cost to maintain.

So, you mean to say, Toyota's target customers in India are taxi/fleet owners only. Barring Fortuner, their line-up of cars in India definitely looks like that.

Even from that standard, Yaris is not priced "bang on", considering the sales volumes. It doesn't seem to be lapped up by the Target customers/fleet owners.

Quote:

Toyota simply does not want every Tom, Dick and Harry buying their products. They pull in only customers with certain profile.

Cheap does not mean better engineered product. Cheap corresponds to compromise.

Hahaha please tell me you are kidding.:uncontrol

Pull in customers with certain profile ? LOL. I guess you are confusing Toyota India with Rolls-Royce.

Toyota , like any other manufacturer is here for business, which is selling cars. More sales equates to more business. Period.
Every Tom, Dick and Harry does not buy a Toyota because they are smart enough to see through the fact that Toyotas offer nothing premium to demand a premium price tag(except their UVs). If selling in low numbers mean the product is of great quality, then by your logic, Fiat cars are the best and have the greatest snob value!

If you want to associate Toyota buyers(except corolla , fortuner and above category buyers) with profile, the best suiting profile is the taxi operator. Please do not justify the atrocious pricing of a rather average car(safe though :thumbs up). New Honda Amaze is more practical than the Yaris.

Cheap doesn't always correspond to compromise. Yaris is not exactly cheap, but even then buyers have to compromise on space and performance.

I guess we all can agree to be neutral and not fanboys of any particular brand. Peace!

Firstly I want to tender my unconditional apologies to each and every member here for my comments here. I was only making a fanboy comment and not a neutral comment that would have been more informational to prospective customers. I just got carried away with my emotions. My intention was not to profile anyone. I am very sorry if I sounded like one.

It just pains to see a manufacturer being battered who has provided segment first safety features to mass market which no other manufacturer has even bothered to bring in.

Once again I am very sorry if my comments had in any way hurt your feelings because it was completely unintentional. I regret for the way my comments sounded and will ensure this does not happen again.

Hello friends, I need some help in suggesting my uncle who is looking for a comfortable, easy to drive and low maintenance ride under 12 lakhs. His daughter would be driving the vehicle mostly within the city and some three or four trips per month on the highway. Right now, he is confused in choosing between the petrol or diesel, since he expects good mileage during long journeys. But with speculations going on regarding the new 1.5 l diesel engine being introduced soon, he thinks it would depreciate the value of the current 1.3l unit, by a huge margin. Also with the difference in petrol and diesel prices nearing four rupees in Chennai, he feels its a waste to pay 1.80 lakhs more for the diesel. Kindly help me in suggesting him the optimal choice for his requirements. Also what mileage can he expect from the petrol model in a real-world scenario?

Regards

My Father-in-Law was looking for a replacement for his Ford Fiesta and we had almost finalized on the Toyota Yaris. My FIL was adamant that he wouldn't buy a Maruti because of the cheap build quality. On our way back home after our
2nd or 3rd test drive of the Yaris, we passed by a Nexa showroom and on a whim, we decided to pop in. Neither of us had seen the new Ciaz in the flesh and were really impressed by it.

As soon as we sat in it, my FIL started having second thoughts about the Yaris. The Ciaz is *much* *much* more comfortable - the car itself is wider and the seats also are much more comfortable. The ICE unit on the Ciaz is also miles ahead of that on the Yaris. The only areas where the Yaris scores better than the Ciaz are the more powerful engine, the (marginally) smoother CVT and the more comfortable steering wheel (*see my note below).

The end result was that my FIL, the Maruti hater, placed the order for the Ciaz Zeta the day before yesterday :)

One major irritant of the Ciaz is the off-center steering wheel (see image). The center of the steering wheel is roughly 2 inches left of the center line of the seat. This means that with the hands at the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions, the driver's left hand is relaxed while the right hand is stretched. I found this very irritating, but I suspect that I would get used to it over time.

Quoting myself from another relevant thread:
Quote:

Originally Posted by landcruiser123 (Post 4485757)
A friend went on a road trip to Mysore on his new Ciaz AT. Needless to say, he was irritated while and after driving.

Knowing the sedate driver he is, I know he would never exceed 100 kmph. But he tells he was so irritated after his trip as he had to continuously hear 2 beeps a minute while cruising at 80-90 kmph. He is now considering going to his local accessory shop to disable this......

Does anyone have any idea how to disable the buzzer for the speed warning system? My friend couldn't get a positive outcome from the local accessory shop in JP Nagar. Driving between 80-90 kmph is irritating according to him as he has to continuously listen to beeps and there's a ringing noise in his head at the end of the day.

Quote:

Maruti ASS just cannot match Toyota ASS in quality.

True that in some cases.
Quote:

Toyota has never played the volumes game ever...
Toyota was chasing volumes with the Etios and Liva in India. Others have already mentioned the Corolla in the global market.
Quote:

Toyota simply does not want every Tom, Dick and Harry buying their products. They pull in only customers with a certain profile.
Toyota is still a mass-market manufacturer. Their Lexus brand is meant to pull in customers with a certain profile.

From a taxi-driver to C-level executives of many companies, many people own a Toyota- Innova, Corolla, Camry, Fortuner etc.

Quote:

Cheap does not mean better-engineered product. Cheap corresponds to compromise.
Not necessarily. The Etios and Live were well-engineered products. Their design was the compromise Toyota took.

The Yaris is a good product, but it has no USP (compared to its competitors) that gets your attention(and to ignore the price. :D) OTOH, the Innova guarantees a hassle-free ownership experience which might not be the case with an XUV or a Hexa. Toyota underestimated the competition against well-established products in the C2 sedan segment against the MPV segment.

I'm a Toyota fan myself, but I'll be the first to admit that the Yaris is a failure in terms of marketing. Sorry to say, with due respect, your statement seems to have a lot of blind bias.

Any information regarding the specification of the Li ion battery under the seat? At least the battery voltage must have written on the battery right?