Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2018, 12:08   #91
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Marazzo : Official Review

Finally it's here. Was waiting with bated breath for a TeamBHP review ever since the launch of Marazzo. The thorough coverage and in-depth analysis by the mods made my weekend. A job well done.

With the Upgraded Ertiga nowhere in sight ( it was supposed to be launched during diwali ), the time is ripe for marazzo to take over the baton of Best MPV in India in economy class, say south of 15 Lakhs category.

Its definitely a notch above other mahindra products barring ofcourse, the XUV500.

Unless MS waves a magic wand and does something really good in terms of space and more importantly, engine specs to its Ertiga, expect a tough fight and a win for Marazzo.
Old 14th November 2018, 12:56   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post

I don't think Mahindra has even a single CVT offering. I have my own suspicions on why they don't offer it.

On Quora, I happen to follow some professional mechanics living in the US, the land of the automatics. The mechanics have often opined that the CVT is a gearbox that "cannot handle real power". They've given examples of how Toyota plonks the CVT onto its weaker compact sedan, the Corolla; meanwhile for the bigger, more powerful and un-humble 200 HP Camry, it's a good old torque converter AT.

Similarly, they've listed data points that go to prove that other than Nissan in the US market, no other manufacturer is so much in love with the CVT technology. Nissan's most audacious love episode with the CVT is in the 300 HP Maxima. But according to consumer reports, customers don't like the CVT in the Maxima since all that power doesn't get felt thanks to the CVT.
Dear locusjag,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the CVT.

Just for your information, I have a Jazz V-CVT. I have used it from Oct 2015 and have never felt the lack of power discussed so often. Not that I want it to be performing like a race car! If Marazzo is using a 1.5 lt engine, I do not think it will be an issue. However, on the other side of the story, I know very few cars (like Amaze) that have gone for CVT.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
Old 14th November 2018, 13:12   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear locusjag,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the CVT.

Just for your information, I have a Jazz V-CVT. I have used it from Oct 2015 and have never felt the lack of power discussed so often. Not that I want it to be performing like a race car! If Marazzo is using a 1.5 lt engine, I do not think it will be an issue. However, on the other side of the story, I know very few cars (like Amaze) that have gone for CVT.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
The Amaze diesel CVT has a de-tuned engine to properly mate with the CVT transmission. CVT is nothing but a belt and pulley configuration, the gear ratios being maintained by increasing or decreasing the radius of the pulley. Since they do not have gears (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear), they are prone to rubber band effect on sudden hard accelerations, as the belt will not be gripping the pulley due to lack of friction and absence of gears. A CVT is a true gear less transmission, not the case with TC or AMT or DCT, and in practical sense a CVT transmission has infinite gear ratios.

Last edited by pavi : 14th November 2018 at 13:13.
pavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 19:03   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Let's think about that for a moment - is the Marazzo really city-friendly?
In the preceding pages on this thread we've seen AutoIndian and other esteemed members arrive at the conclusion that the Marazzo is an unlikely city vehicle. Driveability is strictly at a certain RPM range that you're likely to maintain only out on the highway. The Marazzo seems to lag behind traffic if one doesn't work the gears appropriately. Shouldn't you look for a city vehicle that pulls cleanly from low RPMs? I'm just exercising my limited knowledge here; if I may, I'll be glad to learn something new.
I just happened to drive another Marazzo today. Mahindra had put up a display/test piece in our office complex here in Lower Parel and I could not resist.

As I have said somewhere earlier too that I found the engine to be much more peppy than my TUV(T8) & of course one has to compensate on gears for BIG car but I think one automatically gets hang of it. I love manuals & HATE auto, so I wont comment on other matters.
I was able to get Marazzo moving pretty easily in Mumbai traffic & no where felt that it lags in power. If anyone knows that stretch then they can vouch for density of traffic signals on that road & the traffic and she performed well.

I have seen a recent trend of people buying Innova Crysta as daily city drives & it tops at about 25 big ones & of course I cannot afford it, but if I want something on similar lines, I would take Marazzo.

On lighter note, Marazzo has been crossing my path so frequently, as if some high power is trying to tell me something. Fingers crossed.

Rgds-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 19:59   #95
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing another wonderful Official Review, this time of the Mahindra Marazzo (managed to finally complete reading it in 3-4 days!).

True to Team BHP standards, Aditya, GTO and the team have left no stone unturned with yet another extremely detailed review

I think this is a great attempt by Mahindra with a lot of promise, hope the market response will also be good (talks of an Innova killer are doing the rounds, but that remains to be seen). I have a feeling the Tier 2 cities and Taxi market will love this offering more than the private urban buyer market.

*The retractable sunshades in the rear 2nd row windows are a great feature but Mahindra could have offered it on the lowest variant as well - case in point being the Hexa XE. A friend owns a Hexa XE that is about 6-8 months old (pre-facelift & pre-feature delete model) and I was surprised and happy it had the sunshades Hope that feature is still there with the Hexa XE after the recent minor face-lift/feature delete.

Last edited by NPV : 14th November 2018 at 20:02.
Old 15th November 2018, 10:02   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Just for your information, I have a Jazz V-CVT. I have used it from Oct 2015 and have never felt the lack of power discussed so often.
Yes sir, I do remember what cars many of our members have. I remember reading your Jazz V CVT's ownership review. There's more to talk on the topic of power in a CVT euipped car in reply to Pavi below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
The Amaze diesel CVT has a de-tuned engine to properly mate with the CVT transmission. CVT is nothing but a belt and pulley configuration, the gear ratios being maintained by increasing or decreasing the radius of the pulley. Since they do not have gears (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear), they are prone to rubber band effect on sudden hard accelerations, as the belt will not be gripping the pulley due to lack of friction and absence of gears. A CVT is a true gear less transmission, not the case with TC or AMT or DCT, and in practical sense a CVT transmission has infinite gear ratios.
Thanks a lot Pavi for the goldmine of information you've let us onto.

Even yesterday on Quora, I saw an American asking if her CVT car can tow a trailer as she was moving her home. A few had replied saying "no". I wonder if it's because of what you've said - the power delivery is perhaps not uniform in a CVT, such that with a towed load (or for our Marazzo discussion, with a full load on-board), the vehicles wouldn't be able to pull in certain sudden situations. For instance, if the American were towing a trailer and traffic had stopped on an upward incline, perhaps the CVT won't pull when traffic starts to move again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
I just happened to drive another Marazzo today.
As I have said somewhere earlier too that I found the engine to be much more peppy than my TUV(T8) ...
I was able to get Marazzo moving pretty easily in Mumbai traffic & no where felt that it lags in power....
On lighter note, Marazzo has been crossing my path so frequently, as if some high power is trying to tell me something. Fingers crossed.
Nice to know! I think it's time I myself took a test drive to find out for myself, just like you and many others here, despite already having a good car, that keeda (as Mr.GKMahajan put it on this thread ) is always there in us to keep exploring other cars with no apparent immediate purpose.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 11:53   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
I just happened to drive another Marazzo today. Mahindra had put up a display/test piece in our office complex here in Lower Parel and I could not resist.

As I have said somewhere earlier too that I found the engine to be much more peppy than my TUV(T8) & of course one has to compensate on gears for BIG car but I think one automatically gets hang of it. I love manuals & HATE auto, so I wont comment on other matters.
I was able to get Marazzo moving pretty easily in Mumbai traffic & no where felt that it lags in power. If anyone knows that stretch then they can vouch for density of traffic signals on that road & the traffic and she performed well.
That's really interesting feedback considering that everyone else seems to think that Marazzo will feel underpowered before the TUV. I also haven't found my Marazzo underpowered. It's a different sort of car to drive from a Scorpio, but definitely not underpowered

As for the stalling issue, I think some of recent Mahindras have that issue- my friend's XUV, which is 10 months old stalls now and again when he makes it crawl, and he hits the start-stop button to get it going again. The XUV has a 2.2 ltr (BIG displacement) engine with 150 bhp on tap, and it behaves the same as the Marazzo

That said, the Marazzo is meant for a relaxed driving style. Someone trying to push the vehicle for rapid acceleration will be disappointed. So if you're an older, more mature driver, with a relaxed driving style, the Marazzo will definitely appeal to you. It neither will shoot off the start line like a rocket, nor will it break any 0-60 km/h records. But once it picks up speed, it can cruise effortlessly (80 km/h at 1600 rpm on 6th gear. I'm yet to touch 100 km/h because I'm yet to do any highway trips)
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 01:27   #98
BANNED

A video has been posted on YouTube - apparently a customer complaining about engine oil pushing out of the dip stick hole. Seems like a serious issue, and I hope it is an isolated case.

PYSO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 08:15   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
A video has been posted on YouTube - apparently a customer complaining about engine oil pushing out of the dip stick hole. Seems like a serious issue, and I hope it is an isolated case.

This will happen in any car! The disptick is supposed to be opened only to check for oil level when the engine is off. When the engine is on the oil will splash out! Seriously this guy is just posting a video with zero auto knowledge. With customers like these wonder how Mahindra will resolve their "problems"!!

Last edited by SDP : 16th November 2018 at 17:56. Reason: Removing video link from quoted post
Behemoth is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 11:00   #100
Senior - BHPian

I followed the M8 variant yesterday on the way back from work for a good 10-12 minutes last night. The Marazzo was in that nice blue shade.

Must say no matter how out-of-proportion the rear tail lamps wrt its size look in the daylight, in the night with them on they don't look half as bad. I'd go out to say they actually suit the proportions of the car! No "Lodgy-ness" there at all.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th November 2018 at 18:25. Reason: edited
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 11:12   #101
Senior - BHPian

Completely agree to your post Rush and i have been seeing one daily on my office commute road on Sarangpur bridge and even had opportunity to chat with the owner driving, his comments were its very easy to drive in city and doesnt feel such huge vehicle even during peak traffic hours.And yes it was in blue shade which looks pretty good.

Last edited by vijaythacker : 16th November 2018 at 11:13.
vijaythacker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 17:23   #102
BHPian

Here it goes.. M&M is going to hike Marazzo price by Jan! Link

Quote:
“As mentioned at the launch, the price of Marazzo was an introductory one. Effective January 1, 2019, we will be taking a price hike on the Marazzo, after a reasonable period of four months from its launch,” Mahindra and Mahindra Chief of Sales and Marketing — Automotive Division Veejay Ram Nakra said in a statement.
I think market is responding positively to Marazzo so Mahindra is trying to cash on it. I think it's little early for 2 reasons
  1. New Ertiga is around the corner which will take some potential customers away with increase in price gap
  2. Shark's top end model is going to further reduce the gap between GX of Crysta which is a risky move IMHO
Old 16th November 2018, 18:03   #103
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Marazzo is a nice car, review is super cool as always, kudos to T-BHP for same.

Somehow I feel that Mahindra has not launched good colors for this car. Choice of colors is really poor. Some nice metallic colors would have looked really nice on this car. White is the only better option - I found out it is also not super white, its kind of an off-white. Other colors didn't click at all. I haven't seen black, I guess it might look cool but it's not a preferred color in India.

Is it only me feeling this about colors or someone else also has the same feeling?

Last edited by GTO : 17th November 2018 at 08:00. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts correctly
aniketi is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th November 2018, 19:31   #104
BHPian

Mahindra to hike Marazzo price by up to Rs 40,000 from January.

https://www.businesstoday.in/top-sto...ry/291648.html

Reasons (although it was launched with introductory price only):

1. Price leak of new Ertiga
2. Achieved success (or smelled)
3. A known way to increase sales when others go for big discounts
4. A big order in progress from some commercial fleet owner..

Experts your comments pls.
kbishwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 22:11   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
This will happen in any car! The disptick is supposed to be opened only to check for oil level when the engine is off. When the engine is on the oil will splash out! Seriously this guy is just posting a video with zero auto knowledge. With customers like these wonder how Mahindra will resolve their "problems"!!
I doubt what you are saying is correct. Ideally the oil should not spray / splash out of dip stick hole.

It could be because of a clogged PCV resulting in increased internal oil pressure. This is visible in old engines as PCV is one of the most overlooked components.

It could also happen if the dip stick O-ring is misaligned - which could be the case since this is a new engine

There is some merit in looking into this issue of spray from dip stick hole.
i74js is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed