Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2018, 18:49   #121
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Marazzo : Official Review

Booked a Shimmering Silver Marazzo, M8 yesterday.
Ex-showroom price of ₹13.9 lakh. Took additional warranty up to 5th year.

The other options were Crysta, Ertiga, Hexa and XUV 500 and I was shopping for a 6+ seater.
kbishwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 22:05   #122
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Another excellent news. 4 stars is really good news. Lets see how does the new Ertiga fare. That new platform on the Ertiga has not got off to a good start !
Looking at the video, it seems that the body structure remains stable an no effect seen on the doors as well.
I wouldn’t hold my breath. My guess is that the Ertiga will not even be picked up for NCAP testing anytime soon. The new Innova has been in the market for 2 years and is the segment leader; and it is yet to be tested. So, there appears to be no method to which cars get tested.

In any case, even if the Ertiga is picked up by NCAP, my guess is that it will fare poorly. Maruti never prioritises safety. It’s all about economy and space and volumes for them. It’s a crying shame, really.

Good for Marazzo and the Nexon for aceing NCAP. It really does matter.
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 16:16   #123
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
I wouldn’t hold my breath. My guess is that the Ertiga will not even be picked up for NCAP testing anytime soon. The new Innova has been in the market for 2 years and is the segment leader; and it is yet to be tested. So, there appears to be no method to which cars get tested.

In any case, even if the Ertiga is picked up by NCAP, my guess is that it will fare poorly. Maruti never prioritises safety. It’s all about economy and space and volumes for them. It’s a crying shame, really.
OT -
there is something called "bharat" NCAP - guess who is the major driving driving force behind specifying the testing standard ? And guess why its taking so long to nail the whole thing in place, given there are so many NCAPs already - global, euro, asean, US(NHTSA), latin, chinese, etc where the indian market leader is not exactly happy to send their vehicles ?
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 19:32   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
Booked a Shimmering Silver Marazzo, M8 yesterday.
Ex-showroom price of ₹13.9 lakh. Took additional warranty up to 5th year.

The other options were Crysta, Ertiga, Hexa and XUV 500 and I was shopping for a 6+ seater.
Buying decision:

Wanted:

1. Comfortable place to sit 6 (Hexa ok, Crysta ok, Marazzo ok, XUV500 little tight, Ertiga better than before but not at all comparable))

2. Respectable boot-space: (Crysta ok, Marazzo ok, Ertiga ok, XUV not ok, Hexa just ok)

3. Ease for elderly people in getting in/out: (Crysta ok, Marazzo ok, Ertiga not ok for 3rd row, XUV just ok, Hexa not ok)

4. Comfortable ride: (Hexa ok, Marazzo ok, Crysta ok, Ertiga just ok, XUV just ok)

5. Handling doesn't matter, I even enjoy driving old Tata Sumo.

6. Automatic not needed as long as manual is not really tiresome/pathetic. The accuracy of manual gear changing is the real fun, keeping left-side organs healthy & awake also.

At the end I zeroed in on Crysta ZX (manual) and Marazzo M8. I did a back to back test drive and felt that Marazzo is touch better than Crysta in rear seats with better turning radius, lighter parking effort and richer equipment list for Marazzo. Look wise I'll rate Crysta far better than Marazzo and also don't like the latter's name. But from inside I was convinced. Saving ₹ 7 lakhs also means a lot, while price was not the criteria.

For reliability I procured the extended warranty up to 5 years as suggested by Aditya but I know it will not give the as much peace of mind an a Crysta or others established cars.

Waiting eagerly for the delivery by the month end.
kbishwa is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 19:59   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
OT -
there is something called "bharat" NCAP - guess who is the major driving driving force behind specifying the testing standard ? And guess why its taking so long to nail the whole thing in place, given there are so many NCAPs already - global, euro, asean, US(NHTSA), latin, chinese, etc where the indian market leader is not exactly happy to send their vehicles ?
Yes, I am aware of Bharat NCAP. Maruti put out a statement saying that the new Ertiga "has passed Bharat NCAP". But, one really has no clue what that really means.

But, to give credit where it is due, Maruti has come some ways from that dismal crash results for the Swift. For one thing, they are making airbags and ABS common across all variants of their new cars. I think that the Ertiga is one such car to have these safety features across all trims. Still, their build quality is far from satisfying. I test drove the Baleno and decided that I wanted nothing to do with that car. It really felt quite tinny.

Moving on, I am not sure why so many versions of NCAP exists. I understand that road and driving conditions differ in different places. But, the counter view is that the same vehicle is being sold in multiple countries - Eg: the Ertiga in Indonesia and India; the Swift in India and in Europe (albeit under a different model name). So, if a car passes NCAP in one country, it should automatically pass it in another country where road and driving conditions are a bit better. Or am I wrong?

Quote:
Buying decision:

Wanted:

1. Comfortable place to sit 6 (Hexa ok, Crysta ok, Marazzo ok, XUV500 little tight, Ertiga better than before but not at all comparable))

2. Respectable boot-space: (Crysta ok, Marazzo ok, Ertiga ok, XUV not ok, Hexa just ok)

3. Ease for elderly people in getting in/out: (Crysta ok, Marazzo ok, Ertiga not ok for 3rd row, XUV just ok, Hexa not ok)

4. Comfortable ride: (Hexa ok, Marazzo ok, Crysta ok, Ertiga just ok, XUV just ok)

5. Handling doesn't matter, I even enjoy driving old Tata Sumo.

6. Automatic not needed as long as manual is not really tiresome/pathetic. The accuracy of manual gear changing is the real fun, keeping left-side organs healthy & awake also.

At the end I zeroed in on Crysta ZX (manual) and Marazzo M8. I did a back to back test drive and felt that Marazzo is touch better than Crysta in rear seats with better turning radius, lighter parking effort and richer equipment list for Marazzo. Look wise I'll rate Crysta far better than Marazzo and also don't like the latter's name. But from inside I was convinced. Saving ₹ 7 lakhs also means a lot, while price was not the criteria.

For reliability I procured the extended warranty up to 5 years as suggested by Aditya but I know it will not give the as much peace of mind an a Crysta or others established cars.

Waiting eagerly for the delivery by the month end.
Sir,

You have set a new benchmark in auto comparos Your simple strategy of OKs and Not OKs serve to inject clarity where it is much needed. One question though. I am curious about the difference between 'OK' and 'Just OK'. Is OK, just OK? Or is just OK really not OK?

Also, I am curious as to how you found the boot of the Ertiga and the Marazzo to be comparable. I found the Ertiga's boot decidedly bigger and better. FYI, I myself am shopping for a 7 seater, and hence interested in hearing your views and those of others who went to see these 2 vehicles. If you are so inclined, my thoughts on the two cars are here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-lakhs-43.html (The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs)
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 23:30   #126
BANNED

I too am shopping for a 6 / 7 seater.

The boot of ertiga is certainly better. Especially with the covered enclosure, that allows you to keep laptop bags etc out of sight.

Ertiga 3rd row seat certainly has lesser shoulder room, and slightly lesser leg room than marazzo. But it is placed higher I think than the marazzo 3rd row seat. And the recline feature makes it a lot more comfortable than the very upright 3rd row seat of marazzo. I haven't test driven the new ertiga, but I would guess there is lesser body roll in the 3rd row seat of ertiga than the marazzo. Overall, I think the 3rd row of ertiga beats that of marazzo, as long as only 2 persons are seated in the 3rd row seat. In the captain seat version, the marazzo 3rd row would feel a far less constrained place to be, and that is a huge plus.

Personally I am keen on a vehicle with captain seats. Once I heard that Maruti is likely to launch a captain seat version of ertiga by mid 2019, I have decided to wait for it. And then take a final decision.

One big reason for waiting is that I don't really need a diesel vehicle for the amount of running I am expecting. Petrol is very much preferable for me. Another reason is that I expect 80% of my running to be inside the city, and the compact dimensions of ertiga is helpful for that.

But if ertiga receives a poor NCAP rating, then I will certainly not go for it.

Last edited by PYSO : 12th December 2018 at 23:50.
PYSO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 07:20   #127
BANNED

Quote:

Moving on, I am not sure why so many versions of NCAP exists. I understand that road and driving conditions differ in different places. But, the counter view is that the same vehicle is being sold in multiple countries - Eg: the Ertiga in Indonesia and India; the Swift in India and in Europe (albeit under a different model name). So, if a car passes NCAP in one country, it should automatically pass it in another country where road and driving conditions are a bit better. Or am I wrong?
Very simple. Do you know that the Swift's export model got a 5 star rating while the Indian version got a zero rating? As long as different ‘build’ versions of the same car exist, we need to have different NCAPs. Regarding your mention of giving credit to Maruti, they have actually failed even to make a ‘safe’ structure with an all-new platform which is supposed to be global. The Swifts structure was rated as unstable, and I am getting a feeling that the same unstable structured Swift may pass Bharat NCAP with flying colours because of the very simple reason ‘This is India, where a historian is the RBI governor’.

Last edited by GTO : 14th December 2018 at 17:52. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts correctly
pavi is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 13th December 2018, 08:15   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buying decision:
Simple and effective decision making criteria. The cost differential is a big bonus too however its good you did not factor that in because during resale, the Innova will more than make up that cost.

Are you considering de-badging the vehicle given that you felt the name is quite odd ( I too felt that way and would have done it if I had bought the Marazzo )

Quote:
keeping left-side organs healthy & awake also.
Now this is a new ! Never heard this logic before

By the way if you were referring to the arms and legs - then pls note - they are NOT organs. they are just tissue/bones. Organs has a different definition. Sorry I had to correct you
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 09:00   #129
BHPian

Mahindra should have brought out a petrol version and an automatic at launch. It would have won them a much bigger market. I still think they're testing the market for the Marazzo and the more options will come out quickly. My experience with my Marazzo has been excellent so far, and I really think it's a worthwhile buy in the market, when compared to the Innova. The Ertiga doesn't have the same sort of premium feel.

I sense that the whole MUV situation in India will turn into a three-horse-race between Innova, Ertiga and Marazzo for several years to come, and I also think that Tata will begin to lose sales significantly on the Hexa

Last edited by HighwayofLife : 13th December 2018 at 09:03.
Old 13th December 2018, 09:17   #130
BANNED

Yes, the interiors of marazzo are far more premium than that of ertiga. Ertiga interiors are built to a cost.

We have to wait and see if the 6 seater version of ertiga will have more premium interiors. It easily could, because it will be sold via nexa network. And it should, if it has to take on the marazzo.

Imagine an ertiga with six captain seats (as per speculative reports) and improved interiors, priced about 50k above the current version. It would be tough competition for the marazzo. Especially once the ertiga gets the 1.5 litre diesel engine.

The problem with marazzo is that only its M6 and M8 variants would appeal to private buyers. Mahindra has to change that a bit. The M4 version has to be decently kitted to appeal to private buyers. Just like ertiga VXI / VDI is decently kitted.

Otherwise, it is not obvious to me that marazzo will not be relegated to a distant 3rd position selling 1500 - 2000 units per month. That is where it seems to be headed currently.

But no doubt marazzo is an excellent product.

Last edited by PYSO : 13th December 2018 at 09:20.
PYSO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 16:54   #131
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
...The boot of ertiga is certainly better. Especially with the covered enclosure, that allows you to keep laptop bags etc out of sight.

Ertiga 3rd row seat certainly has lesser shoulder room, and slightly lesser leg room than marazzo. But it is placed higher I think than the marazzo 3rd row seat. And the recline feature makes it a lot more comfortable than the very upright 3rd row seat of marazzo.
Yes, the Ertiga has a more usable boot. And you are also right that it has less shoulder room in the 3rd row as compared to the Marazzo. But, I suggest that you revisit your opinion about leg room in the 3rd row.

What we found was that the leg room in the 3rd row is far better in the Ertiga than the Marazzo. This is due to the fact that the 2nd row in the Ertiga has a huge range of fore-aft movement. The 2nd row seats can be moved to the point where the seat cushions touch the backrest of the 1st row thereby completely closing the leg space in the 2nd row. Of course, no one would use the 2nd row in this configuration. But, what this means is that depending on the height of the people sitting in the 1st and 2nd rows, one has the freedom to move the 2nd row forward by a big distance to liberate legroom for 3rd row folks. By contrast, the range of fore-aft movement of the 2nd row in the Marazzo is quite limited.

This advantage along with the recline function makes the 3rd row in the Ertiga far better in my opinion.

I really think that Mahindra screwed up with that small boot, lack of recline function in 3rd row and the pricing. If the Marazzo was 3 lacs cheaper, it offers a real alternative to value minded customers who would normally make straight for the Ertiga; especially with that 4 star NCAP rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
....But if ertiga receives a poor NCAP rating, then I will certainly not go for it.
I think that the Ertiga will not be tested by global NCAP anytime soon. I suspect that Maruti will simply not allow it to happen because they know it will fare poorly. So, I suppose that we just have to make up our minds with the data on hand.
mohansrides is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 17:03   #132
BHPian

I looked at lot of reviews of Ertiga. It seems to have poor sound insulation. Lot of road/wind noise entering the cabin post 80 kmph. This will be a negative for passenger comfort on long highway journeys. This is something where Marazzo seems much better than Ertiga.
JediKnight is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 18:11   #133
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I looked at lot of reviews of Ertiga. It seems to have poor sound insulation. Lot of road/wind noise entering the cabin post 80 kmph. This will be a negative for passenger comfort on long highway journeys. This is something where Marazzo seems much better than Ertiga.
That's interesting. Can you point me (via PM so as to not distract form this Marazzo thread) to some reviews of the Ertiga where they explicitly talk about this aspect? I haven't TDed the car yet, and so have not had a chance to make a firsthand assessment of the road noise in the cabin.

However, I have driven the Marazzo, and I can attest to its cabin noise refinement levels. The car feels very nice and quiet inside.
Old 13th December 2018, 20:33   #134
BHPian

Just my inputs as currently i own both a tata and a mahindra : tata has improved leaps and bounds in after sales service. My exp has been excellent and better with tata, than with hyundai, maruti & honda - i have owned them in past.
On other hand, Mahindra after sales service has been on steady decline - earlier it was ok.
Abhishek_Garg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 23:13   #135
BANNED

Quote:

But, I suggest that you revisit your opinion about leg room in the 3rd row.

I think that the Ertiga will not be tested by global NCAP anytime soon. I suspect that Maruti will simply not allow it to happen because they know it will fare poorly. So, I suppose that we just have to make up our minds with the data on hand.
I am hoping that at least the Indonesian version of ertiga goes through ncap testing. Since that version is exported to Thailand, Philippines, etc I am hopeful that it will undergo ncap tests.

I also think that making a lot of noise about ncap testing on forums like ours will potentially pressurize Maruti into doing ncap testing.

Will definitely check out the 3rd seat of ertiga and marazzo once again. Everytime I checked out the marazzo, it was the captain seat version - and the captain seats open up more leg room for at least one leg of the persons seated in the 3rd row.
PYSO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed