Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2019, 08:55   #301
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Marazzo : Official Review

Rented a Marazzo from Drivezy last week for a trip to coorg as we had 6 people and none of my cars would fit.

I had an option of XUV5OO, Crysta, Hexa and Marazzo. I was curious to see how the Marazzo would fare. After the 3 days I spent with the car, I realised why this car won COTY.

The last time I rented a Hexa and XUV5OO. The Hexa was fine but was really a pain to drive with heavy steering, horrible gear clutch and felt like driving a bus more than a car. All the XUV's I've rented were in terrible shape even with low kms, the gear, clutch and steering would be out of shape.

In comparison the Marazzo I got was 34K kms base model and apart from the broken front arm rest there was nothing wrong with the car mechanically at all.

With 6 adults and luggage for a 3 day trip, the Marazzo far exceeded my expectations. It was car like to drive and nowhere it felt like I was driving a ladder frame MPV. Apart from some high speed corners from Coorg to Kushalnagar you can never tell it is a 6 seater MPV from the way you can drive it.

All controls were in easy reach with no ergonomic issues (Hexa and Harrier both I struggled in comparison).

I loved the clicky and slick gear shifts and how light it was to change gears.

Ride quality was far better than both my cars (corolla and Ecosport). Not as good as HExa but still pretty good.

I was apprehensive with the 1.5L engine but I needn't have been. The only gripe in the engine is the low bottom end when starting with full load or in inclines. In the ghats you need to keep the momentum up and drive accordingly. I didn't have any issues once I realised that sharp hair pin bends require 1st sometimes. At 1,400rpm the Marazzo pulls smartly and I used that to overtake every single kind of car on the highway. I would outbrake them coming to a speed breaker, then slot into second and come along side. The MArazzo would pull away in front when accelerating.

The 6th gear gives this car a great cruising ability vs the Crysta. Slot into 6th at 80-90Kmph and you can remain in cruise mode without dropping down a gear on 4 laned highways.

I never expected a MPV from Mahindra to be so sorted mechanically.

The price for the top end M8 is around 2L lesser than the Crysta and XUV5OO which is a tough sell but for someone looking at BR-V or Ertiga, the Marazzo is a better pick any day. Yes it is missing an AT option but it was not inconvenient to drive the manual thanks to the car like feel. Secondly an AMT would not be the right option for a 6 seater and a regular torque converter would sap too much power from the 1.5L engine. It kind of makes sense to have this in manual only. If they do consider an AT, it has to be a bigger engine and a torque converter to cover up the transmission loss.

Mahindra Marazzo : Official Review-img_20191007_151612.jpg

Mahindra Marazzo : Official Review-img_20191007_151547.jpg

Last edited by ajmat : 14th October 2019 at 11:55. Reason: Use proper capitalisation!
Vid6639 is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 10:18   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Rented a Marazzo from Drivezy last week for a trip to coorg as we had 6 people and none of my cars would fit.

I was apprehensive with the 1.5L engine but I needn't have been. The only gripe in the engine is the low bottom end when starting with full load or in inclines. In the ghats you need to keep the momentum up and drive accordingly. I didn't have any issues once I realised that sharp hair pin bends require 1st sometimes. At 1,400rpm the MArazzo pulls smartly and I used that to overtake every single kind of car on the highway. I would outbrake them coming to a speed breaker, then slot into second and come along side. The MArazzo would pull away in front when accelerating.
Thanks a lot for the update! This has to be the first ever online account of the Marazzo's performance in the hills with a full load.

Follow-up question: did it feel like you were able to milk the lower gears well? As in, does the engine run out of breath quickly in 1st? A little bit of tall gearing in the lower gears is needed IMO with a full load.
Old 14th October 2019, 10:39   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Follow-up question: did it feel like you were able to milk the lower gears well? As in, does the engine run out of breath quickly in 1st? A little bit of tall gearing in the lower gears is needed IMO with a full load.
One more from me: How much mileage did you get on the trip with a full load + AC (if you happened to check)?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 14th October 2019 at 10:40.
Old 14th October 2019, 12:25   #304
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The gearing in 1st is on the shorter side but that is needed to pull full load in hills. Most of the hills around Coorg I was using 2nd or third. 1st was only when I slowed down to a near halt and needed to pull up the bend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
One more from me: How much mileage did you get on the trip with a full load + AC (if you happened to check)?

I got an overall FE of 13.5kmpl. This included idling at market places, climb up to coorg, talakaveri and a lot of traffic on mysore road on way back. 5kms jam and huge jams at small towns. Also got stuck inside Madikeri due to Dasara in main market.

The onwards journey which I took to bypass Mysore road vis Hassan route day before Dasara gave me ~17kmpl all the way up to Madikeri.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 16:01   #305
BHPian

Needs some expert advice for floor covering lamination mats and seat covers. Both items are available in M2all website?

Which seat cover material is good?

Should I buy it from Mahindra estore or go for after market shop?
Sukanta73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 18:32   #306
BHPian

Quote:
A little bit of tall gearing in the lower gears is needed IMO with a full load.
No pal the opposite is true. The first gear should be short especially to move on a slope with full load. Should be short enough so that the engine is in the peak torque range when you release the clutch without excessive speed else you need to do clutch slipping antics. My dad has 1.6 petrol Logan which has a tall first gear. What a pain it is to get it moving on ghats from stand still.
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 21:58   #307
BHPian

Quote:
...Secondly an AMT would not be the right option for a 6 seater and a regular torque converter would sap too much power from the 1.5L engine. It kind of makes sense to have this in manual only. If they do consider an AT, it has to be a bigger engine and a torque converter to cover up the transmission loss.
Why do you feel AMT would not be right? I am asking because if it comes with any auto tranny it will be a strong contender for me due to all the plus points you mentioned and also because of the 4 star safety rating.
The official review mentioned that it has no anti stall feature hence it stalls easily. Was it not the case with this car, may be that is fixed now?
Old 15th October 2019, 00:25   #308
Senior - BHPian

Are the specs for the torque converter unit out? Any confirmation on the launch dates as well? I am considering a petrol torque converter marazzo, of course depending on the price.
Old 15th October 2019, 08:43   #309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Why do you feel AMT would not be right? I am asking because if it comes with any auto tranny it will be a strong contender for me due to all the plus points you mentioned and also because of the 4 star safety rating.
The official review mentioned that it has no anti stall feature hence it stalls easily. Was it not the case with this car, may be that is fixed now?
I personally am not a fan of AMT and for a people mover I would prefer to use the gears to stay in the power band. Since the engine's power delivery is not exactly linear, an AMT might not be suited to the Marazzo.

Quick downshifts to overtake with 6 on board which were damn easy with the manual may require planning with the AMT.

I stalled it once in 1st when trying to climb a slope. It wasn't that bad and it might have been fixed as the rental car was April 2019 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Are the specs for the torque converter unit out? Any confirmation on the launch dates as well? I am considering a petrol torque converter marazzo, of course depending on the price.
No details on petrol or automatic variants available yet.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 13:05   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukanta73 View Post
Needs some expert advice for floor covering lamination mats and seat covers. Both items are available in M2all website?

Which seat cover material is good?

Should I buy it from Mahindra estore or go for after market shop?
My suggestion (though I own an XUV300 and not Marazzo): Go for the floor covering lamination mats from M2ALL. It is pretty good with slots for holding the OE mats which may otherwise move around loosely. I went for it along with the 3D mats from M2All and finding it a very good VFM combo.

For the seat covers, you can go for seat covers elsewhere since most original accessories provided by the manufacturers are typically slip on types whereas you can get skin fit and OE fitment outside from the likes of Autoform, Dolphin, Hi-Tech etc. unless M2All offers OE fitment (where they remove the fabric and replace it with art-leather). The option and choices are more outside.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 18:50   #311

I am also just back from a round trip to Lucknow.
Had gone to drop off my in-laws, we were 4 adults & 2 kids, & we had 2 oxygen cylinder, wheel chair, collapsible commode, 7 bags/ suitcases & one oxygen concentrator.

I had to fold the 60 split seat of last row, it was an amazing ride & drive on the Yamuna expressway & then Taj expressway.

I have M8, model where cruise control is a boon,

Covered distance of 500km in around 5 hrs 40 mins with one break.

Have driven the same in last gen Ertiga & new Verna, but this was way better, & the best judge were the passengers.
Ajkumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 23:05   #312

Quote:
This pretty well sums up the whole experience of marazzo, i believe it's a brilliant car.

Last edited by bblost : 15th October 2019 at 23:42. Reason: Reduced the amount of quoted text. Thanks
Ajkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 15:05   #313
Senior - BHPian

Hoping to see a Petrol Marazzo by April 2020 with BSVI compliance as per some news here and there. I am loyal to petrol cars and will go with one again, but there are exceptions to all rules and looking at the amazing reviews, features and styling I may break the self laid rule.
Are there any reports on any hurting niggles similar to those seen in XUV500 in their earlier models? Being a home developed engine, have Mahindras reached to a nirvana stage already with it?
No plans to go for it right away but no harm in exploring this beauty (and beast). Surely going to visit a showroom over weekend.
Old 23rd October 2019, 16:22   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Hoping to see a Petrol Marazzo by April 2020 with BSVI compliance as per some news here and there. I am loyal to petrol cars and will go with one again, but there are exceptions to all rules and looking at the amazing reviews, features and styling I may break the self laid rule.
Are there any reports on any hurting niggles similar to those seen in XUV500 in their earlier models? Being a home developed engine, have Mahindras reached to a nirvana stage already with it?
No plans to go for it right away but no harm in exploring this beauty (and beast). Surely going to visit a showroom over weekend.
Marrazo is a very heavy car. Plus Mahindra's petrol engines have been lack luster. The petrol engine would have very poor fuel efficiency. This may be the best time to get a diesel Marrazo. Especially the M2 variant which at the moment is below 10L ex-showroom. This makes it very good value for money. Mahindra has a comprehensive list of accessories which you can add on the base variant.
Old 24th October 2019, 13:22   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you Vid for the comprehensive review. Currently I drive a first generation Ford Figo and looking for an upgrade in the range of 11-12L rupees on road Karnataka. My most important requirement is comfort both for driver and passenger. The next priority is fuel efficiency. The car will be mostly used as 5 seater plus an extended boot. Occasionally while travelling with the extended family it will be used as 7 seater. There are C-SUVs like Nexon , Venue , Eco Sport OR pseudo SUV like Creta Base , Seltos base version which retail up to 9.99L. Currently I see that Marazzo M2 is available at 9.99L and based on reviews looks like a good deal for a spacious car. I have below queries related to Marazzo. Could you kindly answer them.

1. Did you encounter any bad patch of road. How did Marazzo handle the bad stretch of road? The "TOLL" roads on which I drive are here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4671705 . This is the major reason for upgrade
2. How was the performance of headlight. At any point you felt that high beam or low beam was insufficient?
3. I had read about AC being not very effective for front passenger when the rear AC is switched off. Do you have similar observation.
4. Around the curvy roads of Coorg, did you face blind spot issue? Since M2 has no rear camera, how easy or difficult was reversing the vehicle.
5. When I test drove the Ertiga, cabin was not getting cooled effectively due to large size and there was too much sun light entering the cabin. Did you feel same due to large glass area of Marazzo?
6. Steering wheel is tad bigger in size to hold. Any problem you had felt due to this?
7. I was talking to Marazzo Taxi owner and he told me that the jacking points at the front OR front bumper scrape the huge squarish humps with 5 people on board. Any such experiences?
8. Any complaints from other passengers who accompanied you? Also, how easy was ingress for elderly people to second row.

I am tired of thuds , hard suspension and heavy steering of Ford Figo and this is the only reason for upgrade. Also, in Figo due to low ground clearance I have to slow down at many places despite tyre upgrade. So I am exploring a new car which actually feels like an upgrade over Figo in terms of journey comfort. Do you suggest Marazzo OR some other car which retails below 10L in Karnataka. (A car other than Duster due to prohibitively expensive spares cost).

There are too many questions so thanks in advance for your precious time
recshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks