Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2018, 05:11   #61
BHPian

Re: 2018 Ford Aspire Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoFox0718 View Post
Can't deny that I am Ford fan.... And their cars are still great to drive!
True that. Though the Figo is not my primary car, I love taking it out on occasions. And it is the best for twisty mountain roads, if you can keep the engine rpm above turbo lag.
Old 15th December 2018, 00:32   #62
BHPian

The November car sales figures are out. The thing that intrigues me is that Dzire still continues to be No. 1 in terms of compact sedans, Dzire has clocked 21,000+ figures in Nov 2018. Not comparing the MSIL Dzire with Ford Aspire, I am wondering why the manufacturer dispatches of Ford is coming down M-o-M. The Aspire being a far superior engine and car with its price near to Dzire could have made some presence felt , may not be in thousands, but some amount of impact or traction or mindshare could be visible. It is odd that Ford in spite of ticking all the boxes does not get an equivalent coverage or attention from the prospective buyers.
amohan78 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th December 2018, 11:42   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohan78 View Post
The November car sales figures are out. The thing that intrigues me is that Dzire still continues to be No. 1 in terms of compact sedans, Dzire has clocked 21,000+ figures in Nov 2018.
Just run the numbers,

Number of sales outlet / dealers of Maruti are around 2000+, where as Ford is around 350+. Now if we simply run the sales figures against number of dealership, then Ford isn't doing that bad or behind Maruti on individual dealership level.

Traditionally DZire comes with a better Petrol Engine and only now the dragon series engine is something to talk about. Mass market needs time to taste the new petrol flavour.

Then there is the sales pitch. Maruti sales people are far more enthusiastic compare to Ford with their hunger and eagerness to close a deal.

Number of Service centre also matters. One of the main sales pitch of Maruti sales people are their huge network of service stations. Even if some one dreams on Ford in smaller cities/town or rural region, it's crushed under the thought of distance between them and a Ford Service Station

Lastly the resale value. Metro city buyers may have different options with resale or can absorb the lower value by utilising the vehicle more, but rural or smaller city people heavily dependent on exchange for their car upgrade/purchase cycle. Maruti True Value simply bully others out with better exchange or resell value with their models compare to Ford/Fiat/Nissan or such.

Aspire or any other present Made in India Ford model can do better numbers if Ford starts another agressive advertising campaign like they did couple of years ago regarding their After Sales cost and promise. Even with 10 times higher sales number, DZire advertisement on news paper out numbers Ford's by huge margin.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2018, 17:50   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post

Lastly the resale value. Metro city buyers may have different options with resale or can absorb the lower value by utilising the vehicle more, but rural or smaller city people heavily dependent on exchange for their car upgrade/purchase cycle. Maruti True Value simply bully others out with better exchange or resell value with their models compare to Ford/Fiat/Nissan or such.
Wonderful Analysis. I agree 200% with your scare of the resale value. I experienced this in last week itself.

When I confirmed my decision to Maruti to choose Aspire over the Dzire, the salesman at Maruti kind of warned/scorned/cajoled/condescended/pitied upon my scarce grey matter to convince me of the colossal mistake that I am about to take in my life. The resale value of Maruti can never be higher than any car... this was his statement..

The bully from Maruti True Value is massive and really speaking, the amount of pecuniary benefits they dole out by exchange bonus and all such things is plain deception. They pay a ridiculous low amount and then assuage your mind by doling out an exchange bonus.

Anyways, this is no Maruti bashing, they are after all holding 52% Indian market share and the big daddy of Indian passenger vehicle manufacturer.

I think Ford has the focus of export and hence they do not chase numbers in Indian market.
amohan78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2018, 19:22   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohan78 View Post
I think Ford has the focus of export and hence they do not chase numbers in Indian market.
Not really.

US/EU market is kind of stagnant for vehicle sales.

Just look at the numbers again, India / China / Latin America (likes of Brazil) are really important for any car makers.

India has just 22 cars per 1000 people whereas it's 900+ for markets like USA. Just think of the expansion possibilities. Few % of annual sales pie is huge when compared to the annual sales numbers.

Personally I think the previous ad campaign highlighting the lower cost or ownership and service promise along with 5 years warranty played a big role. Ford did follow it up with their ground level dealership staff to actually delivery on that promise.

Owners are definitely very happy and that helps to clear the air in post sales fears.

Ford should have carried on with their TV ads Champaign. Matching Maruti with News Paper ads too. Helps a lot to reach out to non enthusiasts, specially older folks and women at home.
Old 16th December 2018, 13:24   #66
Senior - BHPian

I am seriously looking to buy the Aspire TDCI Titanium Plus to replace my Polo GT.
I was blown away by the performance of the car, and the suspension was what really impressed me. The ride quality and the silent cushioning along with decent handling and road manners makes this a very mature package and a highly under rated car.
Resale value of this car is a slight concern, and also, shifting to a manual from a very well endowed auto is another.
Still in two minds.
Any pointers?
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 13:30   #67
Senior - BHPian

Do try the 1.5 petrol auto in the Aspire

The 1.5 tdci is fun but you're better off getting a used all new Fiesta with that engine if you can find one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I am seriously looking to buy the Aspire TDCI Titanium Plus to replace my Polo GT.
I was blown away by the performance of the car, and the suspension was what really impressed me. The ride quality and the silent cushioning along with decent handling and road manners makes this a very mature package and a highly under rated car.
Resale value of this car is a slight concern, and also, shifting to a manual from a very well endowed auto is another.
Still in two minds.
Any pointers?
hserus is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 13:46   #68
BANNED

Quote:
I was blown away by the performance of the car, and the suspension was what really impressed me. The ride quality and the silent cushioning. shifting to a manual from a very well endowed auto is another.
Any pointers?
Hi Frank,
As an owner of pre facelift Aspire AT, I can vouch it is better than most auto boxes, but not as good as Polo AT. Don’t know about the new Torque converter AT Aspire. But the fatter rubber would be adding to the handling I guess. Now coming to diesel manual, that is simply mind blowing performance! If not for my left knee hurting due to the traffic, I would have bought it hands down ( 6 airbags is an added advantage, even though GNCAP rating is only 3* ). As you are someone who is daring with tuning, I feel you can make the car a stonker. Ride quality is top notch. And the service bills have never crossed ₹ 3000 till 40,000 kms. I’m not sure about how easy will it be to negotiate Mumbai traffic in a manual car.

Regards,
The Rationalist.

Last edited by The Rationalist : 16th December 2018 at 13:49.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 17:14   #69
BHPian

Quote:
I am seriously looking to buy the Aspire TDCI Titanium Plus to replace my Polo GT...

Still in two minds.
Any pointers?
Unless you are in need of that Boot space, then why not the Figo? Ford may launch the updated Figo soon.

And if you can sacrifice on touch screen ICE, do give Figo S or Aspire S a thought.

I hear they are running good discount to clear the stock.

The S variant is based on Titanium trim, so you do miss out on 6 Air Bags, parking sensors or rear view camera. But all of those are available as official Ford accessories. However as an enthusiast, you get slightly stiffer suspension, awesome looking 15" alloy (specially on Figo S) along with 195 section tyres.

Coming from Polo, I think the present Figo S may please you the most.

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 09:13   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Do try the 1.5 petrol auto in the Aspire

The 1.5 tdci is fun but you're better off getting a used all new Fiesta with that engine if you can find one.
Used is a no-no.
The Petrol auto may be a good bet for ease of use but the Diesel was such a stonker to drive. I wonder what will happen to it post the few mods I do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Hi Frank,
As an owner of pre facelift Aspire AT, I can vouch it is better than most auto boxes, but not as good as Polo AT. Don’t know about the new Torque converter AT Aspire. But the fatter rubber would be adding to the handling I guess. Now coming to diesel manual, that is simply mind blowing performance! If not for my left knee hurting due to the traffic, I would have bought it hands down ( 6 airbags is an added advantage, even though GNCAP rating is only 3* ). As you are someone who is daring with tuning, I feel you can make the car a stonker. Ride quality is top notch. And the service bills have never crossed ₹ 3000 till 40,000 kms. I’m not sure about how easy will it be to negotiate Mumbai traffic in a manual car.

Regards,
The Rationalist.

Safety and space, along with ride, power on tap and handling in that particular order.
We have a 1 year old baby in a relatively largeish car seat which makes anything more than 4 passengers uncomfortable. We do carry a lot of luggage owing to the baby, hence we definitely need a large boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
Unless you are in need of that Boot space, then why not the Figo? Ford may launch the updated Figo soon.

And if you can sacrifice on touch screen ICE, do give Figo S or Aspire S a thought.

I hear they are running good discount to clear the stock.

The S variant is based on Titanium trim, so you do miss out on 6 Air Bags, parking sensors or rear view camera. But all of those are available as official Ford accessories. However as an enthusiast, you get slightly stiffer suspension, awesome looking 15" alloy (specially on Figo S) along with 195 section tyres.

Coming from Polo, I think the present Figo S may please you the most.

Thanks.
The 6 airbags and the equipment in the new Aspire is what makes it an attractive package.
I'm more keen on the aspire due to the apparent extra legroom on offer as compared to the Figo.
Is there some place where I can compare the legroom available other than going to the showroom?
frankmehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 10:25   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm more keen on the aspire due to the apparent extra legroom on offer as compared to the Figo.
Is there some place where I can compare the legroom available other than going to the showroom?
I don't think there that much of a difference between the Aspire and Figo in terms of rear leg space. The wheelbase of both the cars are the same.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 15:09   #72
BHPian

Quote:
The 6 airbags and the equipment in the new Aspire is what makes it an attractive package.
Here is a news that may interest you.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...t-spotted.html

Talking about rear leg room, I don't find too much of a difference between Aspire or Figo.

But Sir, reading reviews are fine, but it's always better to walk up to the showroom to see the car in flesh. Often specs doesn't reflect in to real word benefit.

Thanks.

Last edited by NaXal : 17th December 2018 at 15:10. Reason: Added Figo facelift spy link
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 15:19   #73
Senior - BHPian

I have booked my Figo Aspire Titanium+ TDCI. I have changed my mind about the loan and the car is ready at the Sanand plant.
It seems, I'll be getting the car earlier than I had planned.
Attached Thumbnails
2018 Ford Aspire Facelift : Official Review-screenshot_20181219_151732.jpg  

frankmehta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 15:24   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have booked my Figo Aspire Titanium+ TDCI. I have changed my mind about the loan and the car is ready at the Sanand plant.
Congrats. I did like the drive of the Aspire and even considered it as my next car, but just could not bring myself to plonk 9-10 big ones on this car primarily due to two glaring shortcomings:

1. Blinding beige interiors. There is the Honda/ VW/ Merc beige, and then, on the opposite side of the spectrum, there is the Ford Aspire beige. Personally, it just looks too garish to the point where I am unable to compromise on this as my daily driver. The beige is truly hideously bright and in your face (no offence to owners). Ford could have given all black interior trim as an option, like they did on the Aspire S.

2. Tinny build quality. The sound of the doors, boot, engine bay-lid etc. shutting, and the general feeling of lightness in build, is cringe worthy. Just cannot fathom how Ford can ask for this kind of money and then provide this build quality . Yes, I am aware that these are by themselves not the sole indicator of sturdiness and build quality, but still, this is just aesthetically displeasing. They could have addressed these issues in the facelift.

Apart from that, its quite a nice car, with good drivability etc.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 19th December 2018 at 15:42.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 00:11   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, The tracker that I am seeing in your screenshot , is it a screen grab from your gmail inbox or a Ford Portal where you can see the progress of the order just like a shopping cart ?
amohan78 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks