Team-BHP - 2018 Ford Aspire Facelift : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   2018 Ford Aspire Facelift : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/204308-2018-ford-aspire-facelift-official-review-9.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaXal (Post 4525985)
Saini Ford Kolkata. Their showroom is located at Sec-V Saltlake. Right within the business district. Just opposite of that RDB Cinemas.

You can try Kaikan Ford on VIP road near Teghoria. The experiences with them have been pretty decent and they try to ensure that TD is available most of the time. In case a particular TD car is not available they try to ensure a TD as soon as possible. Cheers.

This is insane but a driver has done this to the touch screen of a facelifted aspire.
2018 Ford Aspire Facelift : Official Review-img_20190114_173347.jpg

This is non sync fly unit. The car belongs to a friend and has done 1900 kms. Any pointers on how can it be repaired if possible and if the screen is split into two halves and only the front one can be replaced?

I tried to carefully buff it with a microfiber using glass polish and Meguiars diamond cut compound but no success. The driver was trying to remove the protective film's gummy residue.

I had seen a similar situation on the TD aspire. On being asked why the screen looks fuzzy the representative told its due to the protective film that was peeled off. So seems like this can be an issue. Anybody else facing this problem of gummy residue on touchscreen while peeling off the film? I haven't removed it from my Aspire yet and now contemplating if I should do it or not. The older it gets higher the chances of gummy residue I guess.

Quite disheartening to see the condition of the touch screen. Did you write to Ford for screen replacement options?

Members, owners of Aspire of Titanium and Titanium plus models will see a difference which probably does not make any sense. The side body has a triangle shaped filler , in titanium , it is made of black plastic and titanium plus, it is made of chrome.

Could Ford not give a single chrome in both titanium and titanium plus ?

I have driven my white gold petrol Aspire(Golden Dragon) for close to 200kms now. Some hiccups I wanted to share.

1. The driver seat ergonomics doesn't suit me at all. There is a slight padding in the middle of the seat which is giving me a terrible lower back pain. I used to get backpain in my Dzire too but only after 3-4 hours of continuous driving. Here it starts in 10-20 mins. Tried various recline angles and postures but still no respite. Would be trying backrest but that takes away a bit of lumbar support and is kind of a compromise too.

2. The instantaneous fuel economy meter keeps on dancing and never shows a valid km/l reading. The values keep changing randomly from 11, 55, 26 etc each second and it doesn't stop even after driving for an hour. Avg km/l does show a fixed number and seems accurate though. Any idea why it could be happening?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick Avi (Post 4529731)
I have driven my white gold petrol Aspire(Golden Dragon) for close to 200kms now. Some hiccups I wanted to share.

1. The driver seat ergonomics doesn't suit me at all. There is a slight padding in the middle of the seat which is giving me a terrible lower back pain. I used to get backpain in my Dzire too but only after 3-4 hours of continuous driving. Here it starts in 10-20 mins. Tried various recline angles and postures but still no respite. Would be trying backrest but that takes away a bit of lumbar support and is kind of a compromise too.

2. The instantaneous fuel economy meter keeps on dancing and never shows a valid km/l reading. The values keep changing randomly from 11, 55, 26 etc each second and it doesn't stop even after driving for an hour. Avg km/l does show a fixed number and seems accurate though. Any idea why it could be happening?

The seat is genuinely very comfortable, but requires adjustment from your end. You may be putting your seat way too ahead, which may be putting pressure on your back. Take it a couple of inches behind and try the same position.
Also lower or raise your seat height. That also has a bearing on the pressure you put on your back while driving.

As for the instantaneous mileage, the meter jumps because it is telling you how your car will drink fuel if you drive it the way you're driving it at that moment.
It's a useless contraption and it's better not to concentrate on that.

Quote:

This read out is as per the throttle position which is why it has a wide range. The average read out is what makes sense and is almost accurate realistically.

As for the seat, Aspire has one of the comfortable seats and seating position. Just that you need to get that right position set and not move it after.

Quote:

Use a lumbar roll, which is available on most online stores. If you don't want to spend on that, an equally effective and cheaper alternative (and one which I have used many times with good effect) is a rolled up towel in the small of your back. This does give a lot of comfort and proper lumbar support when the drivers seat by itself is not suiting your back. Roll up the towel till it gets shaped into a cylindrical form, and you are good to go.

Quote:

This read out is as per the throttle position which is why it has a wide range. The average read out is what makes sense and is almost accurate realistically.
So this phenomenon is present with all Aspires then? What really puzzles me is that with the current state this feature is useless. The numbers keep on changing randomly each second. And they just jump from 11 to 55 then back to 24. It seemed like malfunction to me. I don't think this feature functioned like this on a Nexon which I had test driven and wanted to see real time fuel efficiency. There also it was inaccurate and was reflecting as 28-30 but it kept constant for maybe 10-20 seconds and then changed slightly and progressively.

Quote:

As for the instantaneous mileage, the meter jumps because it is telling you how your car will drink fuel if you drive it the way you're driving it at that moment.
It's a useless contraption and it's better not to concentrate on that.
I would hardly be looking at this stat and agree with you 100% that its more of a contraption. But looking at the way this feature was behaving it does seemed like a malfunction to me. The numbers kept changing each second(sometimes twice in a second) and never seemed to stop and jump is from 11 to 55 and so on.lol: Is it dancing similarly on your newly acquired Aspire TDCI?

Quote:

If you don't want to spend on that, an equally effective and cheaper alternative (and one which I have used many times with good effect) is a rolled up towel in the small of your back. This does give a lot of comfort and proper lumbar support when the drivers seat by itself is not suiting your back. Roll up the towel till it gets shaped into a cylindrical form, and you are good to go.
Thanks arindambasu13. I have used this "jugaad" with good effect on many a long drives on my Dzire. Would be giving it a shot too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick Avi (Post 4529865)
So this phenomenon is present with all Aspires then? What really puzzles me is that with the current state this feature is useless. The numbers keep on changing randomly each second. And they just jump from 11 to 55 then back to 24. It seemed like malfunction to me. I don't think this feature functioned like this on a Nexon which I had test driven and wanted to see real time fuel efficiency. There also it was inaccurate and was reflecting as 28-30 but it kept constant for maybe 10-20 seconds and then changed slightly and progressively.

It probably depends on the sensors used and what all parameters are available to view in regards to different manufacturers. If you connect a OBD adapter and check the available information from various sensors, this is one of it. Just that the manufacturer put it on the MID knowing how important fuel efficiency is for us Indians.
Also, try driving with a steady right foot, and the read out will show a steady figure too.

I find the instantaneous fuel economy feature of Aspire really helpful. It shows the exact consumption for that given time based on the gear/rpm and accelerator input. Since it's real time, so it does help me a lot to adopt a driving pattern for better fuel economy.

For example, I used up shift a lot earlier till I started paying attention to this Real Time FE display. Holding the gear little longer started to give me better mileage.

Secondly, it's easy to simply smash the A padal, but keeping the MID on Real Time FE mode acts as a check to that. One can see the difference in real time when compared to feathering the A Padal vs Flooring it. Once again, the mileage difference is pronounced when I drive by feathering the A Padal.

Just for comparison, before I took help of the Real Time FE MiD display, I was getting around 15kmpl on my usual commuting route and after I adjusted my driving style based on the Real Time FE, I am able to extract around 18kmpl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaXal (Post 4530268)
I find the instantaneous fuel economy feature of Aspire really helpful.

I agree 100% with you.

I had my experience with TDCi Aspire back in 2017 November doing Delhi - Manali - Delhi. The entire trip was driven with Instantaneous Fuel Economy feature selected.

The average I got was :Shockked: 20.5 KMPL. Details here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4315109

Having a stonker engine in the car and driving by checking the instantaneous fuel efficiency meter seems so much contradictory to me. I think we write something in this forum but do something entirely opposite in real life. I once tried driving like that, I got 23 kmpl for a distance of 100 kms at 3.30am in my Honda City i-vtec and it was horribly boring. Never tried that ever in my life. I am happy with the 14.5 kmpl I am getting currently and I love to rev in 2nd and 3rd gears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavi (Post 4530370)
Having a stonker engine in the car and driving by checking the instantaneous fuel efficiency meter seems so much contradictory to me. I think we write something in this forum but do something entirely opposite in real life. I once tried driving like that, I got 23 kmpl for a distance of 100 kms at 3.30am in my Honda City i-vtec and it was horribly boring. Never tried that ever in my life. I am happy with the 14.5 kmpl I am getting currently and I love to rev in 2nd and 3rd gears.

Having a stonker of an engine does not mean that we have to give it the beans everytime. There are times when we tend to be in a more relaxed state and may want to drive our cars in a similar fashion. What's the harm in extracting some extra fuel economy while doing so?

Since when did caring about mileage become the opposite of what we write on the forum?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AYP (Post 4530389)
Having a stonker of an engine does not mean that we have to give it the beans everytime. There are times when we tend to be in a more relaxed state and may want to drive our cars in a similar fashion. What's the harm in extracting some extra fuel economy while doing so?

Since when did caring about mileage become the opposite of what we write on the forum?

Driving a car looking at the instantaneous fuel efficiency meter is taking it to another level is what I wanted to convey. Yes, as you mentioned we don’t need to be ‘flooring the pedal’ all the time. But being relaxed and trying to extract maximum mileage by looking at the instantaneous fuel efficiency meter are two different things. The latter is actually making the driving more stressed as one needs to look at the meter very frequently.