Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2019, 08:36   #271
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
Might be unrelated, but I have a 2nd generation Jazz, and I have test driven the normal Tiago. One thing I noticed was the difference in the refinement of the engine. The gear knob was literally vibrating on the TD Tiago. Jazz engine felt much smoother.
Honda is miles ahead compared to engine refinement and they were very good with their petrol engines seen in IVTEC series. Tiago is a coarse product
MuzzledMoose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 09:29   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
Quoting my post again to get a reply from anyone who had driven both the first gen Honda City and the Tiago JTP.
Cannot comment on the first gen Honda City, but I have driven the last two gens and presently own the current- gen City as my daily driver. I have also driven the Tiago JTP on a couple of test drives. Some points that you may want to consider:

1. Engine refinement: the JTP is no match for the Honda's iVTEC. Simply no comparison in terms of smoothness and refinement across the rev range. I always prefer the linearity of a naturally aspirated engine compared to a forced induction motor.

2. Practicality: For a solo driver, the JTP is good enough in terms of interior space. However, the City offers high practicality as one of its USPs. Big on space and comfort, good boot space. Of course, parking in tight spots is easier with the Tiago.

3. General performance: At low revs or city speeds, the JTP is pretty ordinary. There is a bit of jerkiness which has been highlighted across reviews on this forum itself. I found it to be little different from the typical crop of 1.2 liter hatchbacks that abound in our market. Of course, when you cane it, the car definitely comes alive, but given my predominantly city usage, that performance is not really usable for me. The 1.5 liter iVTEC on the other hand is extremely responsive even at low revs. The engine starts to pick up steam right around 1200- 1300 RPM. Mid range is strong in both these cars. Chuck ability wise, of course the Tiago wins hands down within the city confines, though on the expressway, this becomes less relevant.

4. Looks: are subjective, but I would say that the JTP looks quite dashing. The City on the other hand looks way more mature, and I personally love the arrow shot design and the sleek and sharp lines. Good mix of elegance and sharpness.

My views might be slightly biased towards the City since I put my money on it after all. However, I have tried to keep my views neutral and purely based upon my personal experience with the two cars.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 1st August 2019 at 09:57.
arindambasu13 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 09:56   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone who had owned and/or driven first generation Honda City and the Tiago JTP, how would you compare the two?
Quote:
Quoting my post again to get a reply from anyone who had driven both the first gen Honda City and the Tiago JTP.
Why this comparison if I may ask? You are looking for a comparison of 2 cars that are -
  1. A decade apart in evolution
  2. From different segments
  3. Have different purpose and target audience
  4. Have little in common other than them being automobiles

If you are asking because you are thinking about buying a 1st gen pre-owned City or the Tiago JTP - go for the Tiago JTP. You'll also get the new car smell better peace of mind when going on longish drives out of the urban area. No matter what brand it is, a 10+ year old machine can have small issues that can be mood-kills. Nothing to do with brand etc. Its a machine and they have a prime in their life that isn't exactly after 10+ years.

Oh and the blow-off valve and exhaust sounds are going to get you addictive attention on the streets .

Last edited by Reinhard : 1st August 2019 at 10:02.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 14:51   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Oh and the blow-off valve and exhaust sounds are going to get you addictive attention on the streets .
This! and as an added benefit, often you'll see people ahead make way for you as your accelerate after a downshift
vik99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 10:07   #275
RnK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post

Any news on what those updates are going to be? Same as the ones for new Tigor/Tiago or something more is on the cards?
The new updates for JTP twins include, a 7 inch ICE system, Automatic climate control (for Tiago JTP) & electronically foldable OVRMs.

Source: https://www.carblogindia.com/tata-tiago-jtp-and-tigor-jtp-updated-with-new-features/
RnK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 10:18   #276
BHPian

Autocar India just put out an article about the upcoming updated/refreshed Tiago and Tigor JTP. As per the article, these are scheduled to be out by mid-August.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...eatures-413727

Quote:
To start off, the hotted-up Tiago and Tigor will get a larger 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility... Additionally, the electrically adjustable wing mirrors on both models will gain a power folding function. Automatic climate control, which is already a standard fitment on the Tigor JTP, will now be on offer on its hatchback sibling too. In terms of equipment levels then, the JTP duo will soon become equivalent to the top-spec versions of the standard Tiago and Tigor.

Except for these modifications, the sporty hatchback and sedan will continue unaltered.
vik99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 12:30   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik99 View Post
Autocar India just put out an article about the upcoming updated/refreshed Tiago and Tigor JTP. As per the article, these are scheduled to be out by mid-August.
Welcome as the changes are (certainly needed them!) - this is just one more example of TML's lethargic attitude & pathetic reaction times to customer expectations.

Why do their divisions & teams across car segments work so disconnected? Its simply unforgivable that a JTP didn't get these equipments already together with non-JTP Tiago-Tigor when they were updated. How can a person buying a JTP be 100% happy about the investment when he/she already knows a cheaper Tiago has some more features??

Think about those who purchased these cars JUST NOW. Won't they feel short changed?

Think about those who did NOT purchase the JTP when their heart wanted it - because of some missing things they feel are a must for their daily drive?

Whether these expectations are right or wrong, whether its the drive that matters and what not. But customers want these and Tata's design & product packaging teams are NOT in sync since a decade and there is no improvement whatsoever. I'm now more than convinced that Nexon was outsourced!!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 13:08   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Why this comparison if I may ask? You are looking for a comparison of 2 cars that are -
  1. A decade apart in evolution
  2. From different segments
  3. Have different purpose and target audience
  4. Have little in common other than them being automobiles

If you are asking because you are thinking about buying a 1st gen pre-owned City or the Tiago JTP - go for the Tiago JTP. You'll also get the new car smell better peace of mind when going on longish drives out of the urban area. No matter what brand it is, a 10+ year old machine can have small issues that can be mood-kills. Nothing to do with brand etc. Its a machine and they have a prime in their life that isn't exactly after 10+ years.
I have owned/own 1st and 2nd gen Honda City, Brio and Civic. The first gen Honda City is one car I had liked driving even better than the Civic and the second gen is the worst (sorry! no offense to people who own/love the 2nd gen City). My next car could likely be a Tiago JTP hence the question. Almost everyone had good things to say about the performance of Tiago JTP. If the Tiago JTP can give me the driving pleasure and the performance anywhere close to the 1st gen City, my heart and mind would both vote to go for it. Earlier, mind the contest was between Tiago JTP and Figo but Figo has been striked out. For now though mind tells me to wait for the Altroz.

Quote:
This is what is pulling me towards the JTP.
jayguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 13:41   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If the Tiago JTP can give me the driving pleasure and the performance anywhere close to the 1st gen City, my heart and mind would both vote to go for it. Earlier, mind the contest was between Tiago JTP and Figo but Figo has been striked out. For now though mind tells me to wait for the Altroz.
The pleasure sure is there. It will put a wide grin immediately after you throw her in a corner and throttle it to the metal. However - like I said, the Gen 1 City and the Tigor JTP are totally different in their construction philosophy, engine design & mechanicals.

So while the fun is guaranteed - you need to look at it by forgetting the fun you had with the City. It will be of a different dimension and different kind but fun nonetheless. Afterall the JTP has a turbo engine, not a large NA that the City had. Different size and what not.

Why not take a LONGish test drive and see if it rings the right bells for you?

Of course the Altroz is going to be leaps and bounds ahead in cabin, design and features considering what we have seen so far. Expectations are that the same Nexon 1.2TC RT engine will also make its way here. But it won't be tuned for a performance feedback and sound. Most importantly, its suspension setup will be for daily commute to an IT park or weekend drive to a mall with family. So I suspect it won't have the grippy, oversteering, corner-hungry nature of the JTPs that actually bring the .
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 07:50   #280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anyone who had owned and/or driven first generation Honda City and the Tiago JTP, how would you compare the two?
I did a TD of Tiago JTP yesterday; not owned the first gen Honda City, but the red little number evoked the memories of my old Ford Ikon 1.6 nxt. There’s nothing fancy here, but the car has loads of character and is extremely fun-to-drive. I did not find any issue driving thru congested city roads as well, and the build and ride quality is superb. For 7.5 lakhs on-road, this is great value IMO.
vb-saan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 14:33   #281
BHPian

Did a test drive of the little monster today.

Felt so good to gun it and hear the engine come to life. Extremely responsive and certainly feels way above its price would suggest.

However, barring the performance and fun factor, I did not find the car very practical. It’s lacking quite a lot of features and the interiors are a bit gloomy for passengers. The switchgear and plastics also are nothing to write home about.

I’m confused between the Freestyle and JTP now. Heart wants the performance, head points towards the better safety and convenience. I drive alone 90% of the time, sooooo.

Hats off to Tata for producing this amazing car, still cant believe the performance for a sub 8 lac car.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review-9b8b9f5fdff14ffaa65497461030de26.jpeg  

Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review-1c118d63da7f446cae43408de08b0954.jpeg  

Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review-6299a148066f43c4b363e858950e82e6.jpeg  

ts1506 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 08:49   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1506 View Post
Did a test drive of the little monster today.
I’m confused between the Freestyle and JTP now. Heart wants the performance, head points towards the better safety and convenience. I drive alone 90% of the time, sooooo.

Hats off to Tata for producing this amazing car, still cant believe the performance for a sub 8 lac car.
I too was in a similar situation, the Freestyle surely is a better put together car with the top spec version offering unmatched kit albeit at a significantly higher price than the Tiago JTP. It drives well too, the 1.2 NA engine is responsive, not to mention that the car surely has more space to offer.

All said and done, the Tiago JTP is a purpose-built fast hatchback, it tugs at your heartstrings and the quirks have a way of growing on you.

Choose wisely my friend! In case the heart wins over head in this one, I suggest you try to get the updated version with better kit gizmo-wise.
vik99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 12:56   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1506 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik99 View Post
I too was in a similar situation, the Freestyle surely is a better put together car with the top spec version offering unmatched kit albeit at a significantly higher price than the Tiago JTP. It drives well too, the 1.2 NA engine is responsive, not to mention that the car surely has more space to offer.
Have spent over 6000 kms between the JTP and the Freestyle, definitely i would pick the JTP on 8 out of 10 days.
I literally mean it, as the current odo stands this way
Tiago JTP - 4650 Kms
Freestyle 1.2 - 1570 Kms

I always prefer the JTP when i drive alone, and the Freestyle when with Family. Apart from Space and creature comforts, the Freestyle has good low end torque (there are some flat spots very low down the range though) and is easy to drive around even in pot hole ridden roads.

The Big issue with JTP is it is very hard to resist thrashing it around! And You run the risk of being labelled an arrogant, irresponsible imbecile in front of your own family!

Average City Mileage:
JTP - 10.5 kmpl
Freestyle - 12.3 kmpl
Mi10 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 12:38   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
Might be unrelated, but I have a 2nd generation Jazz, and I have test driven the normal Tiago. One thing I noticed was the difference in the refinement of the engine. The gear knob was literally vibrating on the TD Tiago. Jazz engine felt much smoother.
I would attribute the vibes to the 3 cylinder layout of the TATA engine, coupled with it's, no nicer way to say it, crap TA65 gearbox (easily the weakest link on the JTP).
---

On a separate note, The JTPs are not without their minor hiccoughs and to be fair small niggles are aplenty (like every other TATA).

But at the time when you are losing hair because of that impossible to locate rattle just find an empty stretch of road, lower your driver side rear window a hair (to let that very addictive exhaust note in) and everything is forgotten in an instant, no kidding!
This is a car where I couldn't give two hoots about TATA's feature deletion or the fact that I don't get an iPad on the dash or that the mirrors don't auto fold and auto dim.
You get exactly what you need and honestly I haven't been left wanting for more!!

Btw completed 61xx km on mine, and only on my last tank full did I see double digit FE figures of 10.1 km/L (city conditions) that's the amount of fun I've been having with mine.
Turrrb0 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 17:51   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
I would attribute the vibes to the 3 cylinder layout of the TATA engine, coupled with it's, no nicer way to say it, crap TA65 gearbox (easily the weakest link on the JTP).
---

On a separate note, The JTPs are not without their minor hiccoughs and to be fair small niggles are aplenty (like every other TATA).

But at the time when you are losing hair because of that impossible to locate rattle just find an empty stretch of road, lower your driver side rear window a hair (to let that very addictive exhaust note in) and everything is forgotten in an instant, no kidding!
This is a car where I couldn't give two hoots about TATA's feature deletion or the fact that I don't get an iPad on the dash or that the mirrors don't auto fold and auto dim.
You get exactly what you need and honestly I haven't been left wanting for more!!

Btw completed 61xx km on mine, and only on my last tank full did I see double digit FE figures of 10.1 km/L (city conditions) that's the amount of fun I've been having with mine.
It's such a beautiful looking car. Really wanted to own one, but the engine turned me off. I am sure the JTP is much more fun to drive. Looking at the posts here, I am encouraged to give the JTP a shot.

Also agree on the accessories shouldn't be the deciding factor rather than the car and it's drivability itself. But it depends on what you see a car, as a person may see it a as a means to transport from a point to another, in which case features and VFM is also important. Can understand where they come from, but can't agree
omar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks