Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2019, 21:36   #286
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
It's such a beautiful looking car. Really wanted to own one, but the engine turned me off. I am sure the JTP is much more fun to drive. Looking at the posts here, I am encouraged to give the JTP a shot.

Also agree on the accessories shouldn't be the deciding factor rather than the car and it's drivability itself. But it depends on what you see a car, as a person may see it a as a means to transport from a point to another, in which case features and VFM is also important. Can understand where they come from, but can't agree
Agreed.. But the JTP is not a point A - B car, and if that's what one is looking for , then the JTP is the wrong car. A WagonR 1.2 will fit the bill perfectly there. Plain and simple
Old 22nd August 2019, 03:09   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Why this comparison if I may ask? You are looking for a comparison of 2 cars that are -
  1. A decade apart in evolution
  2. From different segments
  3. Have different purpose and target audience
  4. Have little in common other than them being automobiles

If you are asking because you are thinking about buying a 1st gen pre-owned City or the Tiago JTP - go for the Tiago JTP. You'll also get the new car smell better peace of mind when going on longish drives out of the urban area. No matter what brand it is, a 10+ year old machine can have small issues that can be mood-kills. Nothing to do with brand etc. Its a machine and they have a prime in their life that isn't exactly after 10+ years.

Oh and the blow-off valve and exhaust sounds are going to get you addictive attention on the streets .
I am sorry to say that I do not agree with your statement, "Its a machine and they have a prime in their life that isn't exactly after 10+ years". I have a 18 year old Indica petrol. It can still give a run for the money to other cars when it comes to acceleration. And it's not even turbo charged!
Old 22nd August 2019, 07:39   #288

I have had a couple of test drives and it's a stunner. I was wondering if somebody could shed some light about the safety of the car. The standard dual airbag system aside, is it a solid enough car to handle, God forbid, a high speed mishap on the highways? This is going to be the first car purchase for me and while I like everything that this offers, I am a little concerned about the safety aspect.
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:45   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaneeshvyas View Post
I am a little concerned about the safety aspect.
Of the smaller cars, I would consider the Tiago to be one of the better builds, keeping the price factor in mind. The JTP is no ordinary Tiago and has the suspension tuned to its character, not just a power boost.

Since you mention that this is your first car, I'm unable to comprehend your skill levels. As long as you drive sanely and are aware of other things on the road, you and the car will be fine.

In the unfortunate event of a mishap, you will still be safer in the Tiago than other cars and I expect minimal structural damage too. Tatas of late are known for their build quality, much more than anything else.

Happy and safe driving.
discoverwild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:40   #290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have had a couple of test drives and it's a stunner. I was wondering if somebody could shed some light about the safety of the car. The standard dual airbag system aside, is it a solid enough car to handle, God forbid, a high speed mishap on the highways? This is going to be the first car purchase for me and while I like everything that this offers, I am a little concerned about the safety aspect.
No first-hand experience on the safety standards, but the perceived feel of safety was pretty good; when I did the TD, it felt like a tank when compared to the Swift I was driving. The car had more of an European feel than Asian / Japanese
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:09   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
I am sorry to say that I do not agree with your statement, "Its a machine and they have a prime in their life that isn't exactly after 10+ years". I have a 18 year old Indica petrol. It can still give a run for the money to other cars when it comes to acceleration. And it's not even turbo charged!
Of course. I sold my previous car last month with 0 issues & just a month after a fun Goa trip with family. So I totally stand by the long life of Tata cars.

My point was different altogether. If I was shopping right now for a car after 9 years of excellent companionship, would I buy the same car I just sold? Or would I buy a new car giving more peace of mind?

Would you buy that same Indica V2 at 18 years of age if it was not yours and owned by someone else during this time? I'm quite sure you wouldn't. And you shouldn't either. Murphy's law is always around the next corner!

Quote:
In the price bracket & segment of hatchbacks (and even one above I'm sure) its the strongest bet when it comes to in-cabin safety. There are plenty examples of accidents where the cabin hasn't even budged and all passengers have survived without even a scratch. Its a solid car. Have 1 Tiago and 1 Tigor in close family. One has been in an accident & has recovered fully from it. Can swear by it.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 00:07   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Of the smaller cars, I would consider the Tiago to be one of the better builds, keeping the price factor in mind. The JTP is no ordinary Tiago and has the suspension tuned to its character, not just a power boost.

Since you mention that this is your first car, I'm unable to comprehend your skill levels. As long as you drive sanely and are aware of other things on the road, you and the car will be fine.

In the unfortunate event of a mishap, you will still be safer in the Tiago than other cars and I expect minimal structural damage too. Tatas of late are known for their build quality, much more than anything else.

Happy and safe driving.
Well my first buy, but not the first car I would be driving and certainly not the first Tata. Have driven a dicor engine Tata indica and that was a crazy one too. I love the tigo jtp, no two ways about it. If at all I don't go ahead with this as my first choice it would be more to do with the fact that I would go with an automatic transmission like say a Hyundai Venue so that the better half would be able to drive as well.
avaneeshvyas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 21:04   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Took delivery of Tigor JTP from Adishakti motors Bangalore on Friday 22nd Feb. Driven around 200 KMS since. I wont be posting pictures etc of the car as it has already been done enough on the forum.

Here are the initial observations. Having driven many cars including some on Autobahns in Germany, I can clearly say that this is the best car which for this price !! Thank you Tata and JTP for delivering such a great vehicle which makes it affordable for someone like me to enjoy what a sports car feels like, if not completely in the sports league.

A salute to a great automaker. With that I rest my thoughts
Totally agree with you. I am still enjoying my 18 year old petrol Indica. Now eyeing Tiago JTP. However, would like to see and drive Altroz when its launched. I hope they launch JTP version of it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder View Post
Tiago JTP looks stunning in Red. Contemplating picking one once it is released. I have a 2004 Indica V2 LSI (~1400 CC MPFI), it still puts a wide grin on my face whenever i drive it, the low end (right) torque from that engine is addictive and the mid-range is awesome, the same in absent in the my 2014 Manza Q-jet and also missing on my 2018 Bolt Revotron. I am hoping i will be able to experience the same (or more) kind of pull from the Tiago JTP, the midrange and inital torque i mean. My Indica had a sweet spot between ~70kmph, i know its not that fast, but the engine and exhaust notes at that speed were sweet and just tapping the accelerator from there on and going past 100 was the best part for me with that car.
Even I own a petrol Indica 2001 model. Once past 60 kms/hr, it becomes a beast. Third gear is tall and very useful while overtaking. I am all smiles then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyasM8 View Post
It was a pure delight to that enthusiast in me reading though this review, tbh it's been quite a while me getting excited to read the engine section! And hey that was purely a biased write up there on the engine, you were just biased towards your heart when you wrote that engine section, weren't ya?

So in essence JTP twins are the regular versions tuned by professionals just that it’s done at the manufacturing level and street legal! I hope some regular Tiago/Tigor owner one day decide to plonk a Nexon engine and tune the suspension, it will be so much fun to read that thread and to compare with a JTP!
Tiago/Tigor JTP cars actually have Nexon engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Two options

1. Wrap it in the color of your choice. If it were me, I'd go for a carbon fiber style - will look awesome.

2. Get the cowl repainted in your choice of color. Will be costlier than option 1.
Can you please throw some light on as to why should a turbo charged vehicle be kept in idle for at least 30 seconds before switching off?

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th August 2019 at 12:30. Reason: B2B posts, use multi-quote
shaheenazk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 10:45   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
Can you please throw some light on as to why should a turbo charged vehicle be kept in idle for at least 30 seconds before switching off?
Essential reading...
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...rged-cars.html (Why you must practice the "Idling Rule" with Turbo-Charged Cars)
vik99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 01:16   #295
BHPian

Spotted my 1st JTP on the road today at Bandra - Mumbai.

MH 03 DA 5009 - WHITE Tiago JTP.

Something looked striking and distinctly different in my ORVM. Even though it was dark, the white shade seemed to be eye-catching. One glance at the red ORVMs and I knew this is the special beast. Let it pass gracefully and the rear looked equally striking, especially with the dual exhaust tips! The driver was driving quite sedately, but the car definitely looked the part!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th August 2019 at 09:02. Reason: Spacing
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 03:50   #296
BHPian

Do the Tiago/Tigor JTP cars have a turbo timer?
Old 25th August 2019, 19:00   #297
Senior - BHPian

A red Tata Tiago JTP is on sale in Bangalore. Asking price is Rs. 6.80 lakh. Since the car has been driven for just over 4,500 km and has a Feb 2019 registration, the deal looks really good to me. Sadly, I have budget constraints at the moment and am thus looking for something around the Rs. 5 lakh tag.

Here's the link if anyone is interested: https://www.spinny.com/buy-used-cars...n-bangalore/s/
dZired is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 02:15   #298

Anybody have had a first hand experience with the new JTPs? Does the tiago have a rear parking camera now?
Old 1st September 2019, 17:34   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Here's the link if anyone is interested: https://www.spinny.com/buy-used-cars...n-bangalore/s/
I came across this on CarDekho a couple of days back. Having zero experience in dealing with cars (old / new) I hesitated to proceed. Does one typically have a known mechanic who inspects used cars before negotiating a price? It all feels too risky (to me) and at the same time I feel most new cars are overpriced (IMHO).

Now, I’m just confused and I am wondering if I should wait for bs6 variant to be launched.
Old 1st September 2019, 17:36   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Anybody have had a first hand experience with the new JTPs? Does the tiago have a rear parking camera now?
I don’t think so since the regular Tiago XZ+ doesn’t get one either.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks