Team-BHP - Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/204968-tata-tiago-jtp-official-review-23.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWAllstar (Post 4656558)
Hopefully there are many more such cars coming from JTSV.

I was also thinking about this some days back, but then realized that for another JTP to come, there needs to be another TML car that can be the donor for it! The Tiago-Tigor are the only cars in the platform that could actually be spruced up. The only potential next car for JTP badging is the upcoming ALTROZ & boy is that promising at least in looks for a JTP clap:!

Nothing else in the line-up has the compact dimensions / lower weight and dynamics of a hot street racer. Everyone bats for a Nexon to be JTP-ed. I don't think the X1 platform can be a "performance" oriented one. Very heavy, high-set & any stiffer suspension just removes ligament linkages from all bones in the body. Anything above that are typical Tata elephants. Majestic but leisurely.

Perhaps the C-seg sedan that they shelved to work on the compact SUV could have been a good JTP donor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4659707)
I was also thinking about this some days back, but then realized that for another JTP to come, there needs to be another TML car that can be the donor for it! The Tiago-Tigor are the only cars in the platform that could actually be spruced up. The only potential next car for JTP badging is the upcoming ALTROZ & boy is that promising at least in looks for a JTP clap:!

They should only concentrate on Tiago and Tigor and keep making them better.
Anyways, I meant other brands also start doing what Tata Motors has done.

Hyundai can put the 1.0 Turbo Petrol engine in the newly launched Nios (unveiled in international market)

Maruti Suzuki Swift RS (Many would disdain my choice, but with good add ons it shall make it a good hot hatch unlike Baleno RS)

Toyota TRD Liva or their borrowed Glanza with a bigger engine and good suspension setup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4659707)

Nothing else in the line-up has the compact dimensions / lower weight and dynamics of a hot street racer. Everyone bats for a Nexon to be JTP-ed. I don't think the X1 platform can be a "performance" oriented one. Very heavy, high-set & any stiffer suspension just removes ligament linkages from all bones in the body. Anything above that are typical Tata elephants. Majestic but leisurely.

Perhaps the C-seg sedan that they shelved to work on the compact SUV could have been a good JTP donor.

Perhaps on the diesel side of things - 2L engine from Hexa/Harrier in Nexa - it should be a monster. I'm dreaming stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astonite (Post 4659791)
Perhaps on the diesel side of things - 2L engine from Hexa/Harrier in Nexa - it should be a monster. I'm dreaming stupid:

Well yeah on paper indeed! But is the platform capable enough to do justice to all that power? I'm quite sure it isn't. I drive a Nexon. If really some improvement is to be done in the Nexon, it should be offered with an AWD :D.

The car is too tall, very high GC. Its for a specific purpose as a C-SUV on bad roads. I don't see how a JTP Nexon will work out. Its handling characteristics etc will be nowhere near the amazing ones offered by the Tiago JTP. JTP is not just about engine power. Its about that corner munching devil of handling - which the Tiago JTP has & Nexon can't dream of, no matter how you tweak the suspension.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4659796)
If really some improvement is to be done in the Nexon, it should be offered with an AWD :D.

Well that is a wish everyone is making. JTP is best suited to Tiago and Tigor only.

Altroz will be a great product if they put in all their learning from Tiago and Tigor JTP to it. In stock itself it looks sharp and enticing, with the mods it shall give Abarth Punto a good run for it's money. (Fiat realized this hence have already ran away lol:)

How about a Hexa JTP albeit in the diesel avatar with AWD? :D <Wishes are being horses and they are running wild>

Nexon could be JTPed by reducing weight and improving state of tune probably.

Test Drove the Tigor JTP at KVR Motors, Kannur. I called in advance and asked for the car and it was made available. The staff were polite and welcoming. Every Tata car was on display and the showroom looked well laid out.

Coming to the test drive, I noticed how light the steering was at low speeds. I came for the test drive on an Ertiga and the JTP steering felt even lighter than the Maruti. The car felt powerful but not enough to convince me. The steering response just felt inadequate and the pedals felt flimsy and slippery under the feet. I could not go beyond 80kmph on the winding roads. My friend also drove the car and acknowledged the power of the engine. Somehow it failed to convince me as an overall package. The salesperson said that one needs to drive it around 120kmph to fully appreciate the vehicle. Not sure if that was the reason why I left unconvinced. Or too high expectations, maybe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacetime (Post 4660618)
The car felt powerful but not enough to convince me. The steering response just felt inadequate and the pedals felt flimsy and slippery under the feet. I could not go beyond 80kmph on the winding roads. My friend also drove the car and acknowledged the power of the engine. Somehow it failed to convince me as an overall package. The salesperson said that one needs to drive it around 120kmph to fully appreciate the vehicle. Not sure if that was the reason why I left unconvinced. Or too high expectations, maybe?

Did you just drive in City mode? There is Sports mode as well in case you didn't notice. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaheenazk (Post 4660664)
Did you just drive in City mode? There is Sports mode as well in case you didn't notice. :)

Ha ha shaheenazk, that's a joke doing the rounds in the forum, I see. I too read about some unfortunate souls forgetting about sports mode and coming away unimpressed.:uncontrol
No, my case is different. I drove it mostly in the sport mode. The vehicle IS powerful for its size and weight. What i missed is the assurance and solidity of the steering and the pedals. Maybe it was my high expectations. I was delighted to read the positive reviews about this homegrown sports machine. To compound to my unease was the fact that I could not get the seat forward enough to reach the pedals. I am really short (5foot 3":D). The pedals felt too thin my feet kept slipping off them. I am not able to put my finger on it but as an overall package, just didn't work for me, sadly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacetime (Post 4660618)
Coming to the test drive, I noticed how light the steering was at low speeds.

I agree that the steering is light but it is nevertheless precise and isn't dead at center. Not surprisingly, JTP steering has considerable weight added to it compared to Tiago which is even lighter at all speeds. However, even Tiago has sharp steering. With JTP, one doesn't need to muscle the car into corners, just point it in the direction gently and it works.

Quote:

I could not go beyond 80kmph on the winding roads. My friend also drove the car and acknowledged the power of the engine.
The engine is tuned such that it is unspectacular below 3000 rpm. Power surges after 3000 rpm and stays strong till 5000 rpm. If you are climbing ghat and staying in third gear, speed will only build up gradually. It is a 1.2l engine after all and can only do so much.

Quote:

To compound to my unease was the fact that I could not get the seat forward enough to reach the pedals. I am really short (5foot 3":D). The pedals felt too thin my feet kept slipping off them.
While the pedals look small in size, I don't find them any different than all the other cars I have driven. For reference, I am 5'4" and shoe size 7. The seat has generous height adjustment and I have never felt trouble in getting comfortable driving position. Have done 500+ kms in a day many times now to be able to confirm that ergonomics are not an issue, even for short drivers. To add, wife (5') is also able to drive comfortably for extended stretch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacetime (Post 4660827)
The pedals felt too thin my feet kept slipping off them.

I agree that pedals look thin and the rubber on them do not look reassuring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksameer1234 (Post 4660843)
While the pedals look small in size, I don't find them any different than all the other cars I have driven. For reference, I am 5'4" and shoe size 7. The seat has generous height adjustment and I have never felt trouble in getting comfortable driving position. Have done 500+ kms in a day many times now to be able to confirm that ergonomics are not an issue, even for short drivers. To add, wife (5') is also able to drive comfortably for extended stretch.

That's a bit baffling! I could not bring the seat close enough to the pedals. I pulled the adjustment lever and tried pushing the seat further but it would not budge. Maybe it was that particular car. It looked pretty beaten up all around.

The texture of the pedals troubled me more than the size. They felt slippery and unsure. Maybe because the grippy rubber bits were brushed smooth with use, who knows. However, from what you say, I think I need to take another test drive on another car.

Too soon for a JTP to go into the pre owned market. This is the outcome of buying cars without proper test drives and not reading Team BHP :D

The reason has not been stated but feel like the owner thought of it to be same as GT or Abarth. Coming from Mods own Country, this reason is very likely. They are fervour fans of Hot Hatches.

https://www.cartoq.com/indias-first-tiago-jtp-used/

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWAllstar (Post 4661374)
Too soon for a JTP to go into the pre owned market. This is the outcome of buying cars without proper test drives and not reading Team BHP :D

The reason has not been stated but feel like the owner thought of it to be same as GT or Abarth. Coming from Mods own Country, this reason is very likely. They are fervour fans of Hot Hatches.

Upon clicking on the above given link, its showing as:

http://https://www.cartoq.com/indias...iago-jtp-used/

Hence its not opening. I am posting the correct link. It is:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astonite (Post 4659609)
The Jtp twins comes with 2yr/75k kms warranty as the brochure. Do they have extended warranty packs and service packages for JTP cars? Wish they would launch the Grey color soon!

As of now there is no extended warranty, but we owners have been told that it will be made available shortly. Unfortunately I don't have any further details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWAllstar (Post 4661374)

Speculating much? Maybe the owner suddenly got posted abroad? Maybe they were looking for something bland and which gives more FE?

Could be anything ..