Team-BHP - Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/204968-tata-tiago-jtp-official-review-3.html)

Regarding the revv limiter, I expect Tata to tune the engine for maximum blast in mid range tapering off at the tail end. I 100% expect our wannabe racers to revv the nuts out of it like crazy and then claim for warranty. 4k limit as idle is brilliant touch IMO.

What a review for an eagerly awaited car. Hoot! I like the fact that its raw and brutal without much gimmickry to make you feel better or sound better. You should hold on to the wheel and grinnnnnnn as it shrills satanic thrums into the ear.

At this price point, kudos to Tata for offering a performance hatch and aiming for that thin cross section of neglected, hungry enthusiasts. Its these kind of launches which reaffirms that theres still hope for the industry. In a sea of mass market, manicured, cosmetic commuters... if you still love driving, there are still cars to be picked up.This is truly one of them.

Well, the Mrs. does need a second car for school runs and city zips, and the Tiago was on top of the list...may be I can introduce JTP as a top end Tiago and bring it home (Rubs palms and schemes :D)

Ahh the review I was waiting for the most. Done in typical TBHP style (read brilliant). However I do have one gripe.

Why the step motherly treatment to the Tigor JTP? No mention in the review name and just a footnote about its differences. I would have loved to see a more side by side report and pictures if not anything else.

When I read the review initially I thought it was just about the Tiago JTP and the Tigor JTP review would follow. But was sort of disappointed to the guest appearance it was limited to. I feel the Tigor in this variant adds more practicality and a performance of higher sedans at a CS sedans price. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Any way it certainly is the best JTP review out there :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by 400notout (Post 4516126)
When I read the review initially I thought it was just about the Tiago JTP and the Tigor JTP review would follow. But was sort of disappointed to the guest appearance it was limited to.

The performance is so similar, there was no point repeating the same. We drove the same number of KMs in Tiago and Tigor, and the driving experience is about 98% same. We have noted the other 2% here.

Had Christmas celebrations at office today, came back to seat after a good lunch, yawned, got ready for a sleepy afternoon, browsed in team-bhp and.... I became a 'Ranveer Singh' (read over excited, full of energy, happy for no reason etc.). Here comes another extra ordinary level (in layman terms)/ usual level (in team-bhp terms) review and that too of the two much awaited beauties, and I would agree that they are really 'hot' indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator (Post 4515971)
I'm on the lookout of a new car, but no Tata dealer has a test drive car for JTP. One said that it will be only made to order on confirmed booking, that too towards the end of Jan.

Same thing being told to me by the dealer here, that JTPs are made to order and only against confirmed bookings instead of having ready stock to select from. I wonder how true is that. That being said, dealers claim there are bookings made already and new bookings will only get delivered sometime in January since whatever first batch that arrives is already sold out.

Brilliant review of the red hot hatch :D . I could feel the angry beast tempting us to rev her all the way to the redline(which is surprisingly low for a petrol). Tiago has always been a handsome looking hatch and with the additional makeup and a new heart she truly is a hot hatch. Coming to the turbo lag, does it have a Variable Geometry Turbo or FGT? Tata could have altered the turbocharger to minimize the turbo lag which would have resolved major issue in this car.

Loved the review. Can't help but remember the golden era of F1 in 70's:)
Similarly this car is also not about refinement but more about racing DNA. Nowadays, almost all cars are suave that I miss the rawness dearly.
Samurai & Vidyut, thanks for the lovely review. Keep it up

Thanks so much for the wonderful review. Yes, it was a breezy read right thru to the finish. I'll be anxious to know how the car behaves in lower rpm, say for example you're taking a 'U' turn in second gear between rpm 1000-1200, does it lack power? That's where the Tiago fails often.

Last but not the least, I would have loved to see the car in expresso brown; which would have added more appeal than red and white. Herewith I've attached a picture of my car. I've upsized the tyres to 195/55 Continental with alloys and roof rails.

Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review-00000img_00000_burst20181220165633041_cover01.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 4516129)
The performance is so similar, there was no point repeating the same. We drove the same number of KMs in Tiago and Tigor, and the driving experience is about 98% same. We have noted the other 2% here.

Yes you have mentioned it, I'm not saying that it doesn't provide information. Its just that now we have to search the Tiago JTP thread to know about the Tigor JTP. Couldnt it have been named the JTP twins or an addition of the Tigor JTP in the review title, or at least a picture of both together?

On another note, Is the red used in the twins same as the Berry red of the regular Tiago or is it any different? The Tiago berry red is a tad maroonish , the reds on the Baleno and Polo are much "sportier" IMO.

Fantastic review as always. Was eagerly waiting for the two twins to be reviewed by T-Bhp. However, just not sure about the positioning of this car. Sure we all know these are enthusiast cars and that's the target market. But then again would enthusiasts plonk in 7 lakhs and actually buy one of these? The more I think about it, the more its been gnawing at me. A first time car buyer would in all probability not go down the JTP route and most likely buy a regular Tiago purely as JTP for now is an untested product. Someone looking for a second car, I'm just not sure would venture into the Tata stable. That leaves a very small section of people who will actually buy this car. Although im sure everyone will ‘want’ to buy these.

But then maybe Tata never anticipated huge volumes on these niche products, so it works for them.

Just my two cents.stupid:

More than anything else, I feel proud that an indigenous company can and has released a car which is competent and in a league where enthusiasts unhesitatingly put it on a "budget fun to drive" shortlist.

Will reserve my opinions till I test drive one, but the overwhelming verdict has been that this is a fantastic car. The TBHP review- fantastic as always- confirms just that. Lets see how the perennial Tata achilles heel of service support and reliability pan out in this case. Really hope it doesn't mar the ownership experience of an otherwise rip-snorting vehicle.

Will also be curious to know how many people actually put their money on this product. It is all too often that a product receives high praise and then dies a slow death due to neglect after the initial furore and euphoria.

Just love that all black interior with the sporty accents. I can literally imagine how lovely that fat steering is going to feel in the hands. Drool!! clap:

Two questions:

1. Can the rev-limiter be removed?
2. Can that gaudy red ORVM bit be swapped without having to replace the whole assembly?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayKavadi (Post 4516181)
Fantastic review as always. Was eagery waiting for the two twins to be reviewed by T-Bhp. However just not sure about the positioning of this car. Sure we all know these are enthusiast cars and thats the target market. But then again would enthusiasts plonk in 7 lakhs and actually buy one of these? The more i think about it, the more its been gnawing at me. A first time car buyer would in all probability not go down the JTP route and most likely buy a regular Tiago purely as JTP for now is an untested product. Someone looking for a second car, im just not sure would venture into the Tata stable. That leaves a very small section of people who will actually buy this car. Although im sure everyone will ‘want’ to buy these.

But then maybe Tata never anticipated huge volumes on these niche products, so it works for them.

Just my two cents.stupid:

Exactly the point I had been saying in another thread. In isolation this is a fantastic product (saying this after td'ing the same) but not something you would get to extract the fun out of in say a city like Bangalore or Delhi. You would get frustrated when the 'new car' excitement goes. You need to wait for the times you get the opportunity to take it out of the city, to the hills, to stretch it's legs.

This is where I think VW was spot on. They understood the market well, for a change. They got the GT Tsi, which was not only a hot hatch, a brilliant DSG gearbox giving the convenience of daily driving and also in the right segment where there are no alternatives like it. The blend made it sell more than any of the hot hatches in the market. You atleast get to see a couple everyday on the road. Just a turbo charger will not attract the consumers to the market, specially when the convenience of daily driving goes and you need to pay more for it.

Exciting review is how I would describe this. Superb.

Kudos to TATA for these releases.

JTPs feel like the spare second car you keep at home to have real fun.

The driver at home would wonder why you seem so keen to drive the small hatch in place of the Lux Badge.

I think the mirrors on the white variants need to be left Red as Black would not look good either. They could have tried a Red floating roof on the white Tiago though.