Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2018, 14:17   #61

Re: Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review

Wonderful review as always! Many thanks.

Checked out the exhaust note for Tiago JTP on YouTube and was almost drooling. Well done Tata! Bang for buck! Another milestone or benchmark in Indian car scene. Look forward to TD soon.

The best part is it will take least effort to convince the family. It will be like, 'Oh, it's our Tata.'
revvy_bhala is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 14:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review, Viddy and Samurai. Straight out of the heart!

I was wondering which small hatch will replace my ageing WagonR, and you guys have helped me in making up my mind. I need a petrol, as my wife mostly uses the Waggie for city runs. The Figo Sports is unfortunately available only with a diesel heart. I was wary of other brands because i've been pampered by two Fords at home.

But as this review has come from another owner of 2 Fords, I am convinced that the Tiago JTP will be my next car. I wonder how much it will be on road in Hyderabad.
vnabhi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 20:09   #63
BHPian

Brilliant review of a much anticipated car. Thanks Vid6639 and Samurai.

It sure is interesting times for the Indian car enthusiast. Kudos to Tata for offering customers some real value propositions in the market. They have been doing it in terms of space packaging, ride comfort and features. Now with the JTP twins, they have offered what no other Indian car maker have done so far - truly affordable, genuinely fun to drive cars. It remains to be seen if the Indian enthusiasts put their money where their mouths are. The good thing is that this is not a completely new car but a variant of an existing car that has found fair success. So Tata may not have too high sales expectations from this car and could possible weather a luke warm response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Just curious to know the ECU of this car. Any idea about the brand?
Dr.Naren, I think I know where this is going! So will we soon see a 200BHP Tiago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKavadi View Post
... A first time car buyer would in all probability not go down the JTP route and most likely buy a regular Tiago purely as JTP for now is an untested product. Someone looking for a second car, I'm just not sure would venture into the Tata stable. That leaves a very small section of people who will actually buy this car. Although im sure everyone will ‘want’ to buy these.
But then maybe Tata never anticipated huge volumes on these niche products, so it works for them.
Just my two cents.
This could be a challenge. But Tata would hope that informed customers should realize that the engine in fact is re-tuned version of the one doing duty in the Nexon which has seen some extended testing and production for some time now. And the rest of the car is largely the regular Tiago which is selling 6K to 7K copies a month. So it isn't really a completely new untested product.
I suspect that this car may in fact find greater number of takers from the group looking for a second car. Such buyers who maybe looking specifically for the fun-to-drive aspect maybe more forgiving of Tata's image. Only time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
...My concern being, I have never drove a turbo yet, understand this cars needs to be driven in a special way, worried that I may mess up the turbo and engine with my nob driving

I note till now couple of negatives such as JTP having a turbo lag, 3 cylinder engine not being that refined, average power below 2000 RPM; all this is bit of overwhelming for a nob like me...
There would be nothing really complicated about driving a turbo charged car. The turbo lag that is talked about in these cars is more a relative lack of power in the lower RPMs compared to what they belt out in the higher RPMs. Frankly, if you do not need / enjoy the additional power that is available in the JTP version, you could just go for the regular variant. A test drive is what you need to decide.

Last edited by cogWheel : 22nd December 2018 at 20:11.
cogWheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 20:31   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

A review so nice, I had to read it twice

What a wonderful, heart felt and in depth review that quite frankly did full justice to two wonderful offerings from Tata Motors. If I were an engineer at Tata Motors or Jayem Automotive who worked on the JTP twins, this is the review that I would proudly email my friends and relatives!

This is exactly the type of car that a 25 year old me would have loved to buy as a first car. Better tires on day 1 followed by a remap after the warranty gets over and I would have been a very very happy young man. Now though, Im older and maybe wiser (and grumpier?) and hence need an automatic and more than 2 airbags combined with a high NCAP rating, before I even consider heading into a car showroom for a test drive. But the review showed that the products are so good that I headed to the Tata site to explore other details including price when I noticed one tiny goof up. The state of Kerala is incorrectly spelt as Kerela on the pricing page but is correctly spelt on the dealer locator page.

Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review-jtp.png
Incorrect

Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review-jtp2.png
Correct

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th January 2019 at 13:53. Reason: Minor formatting
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 09:23   #65
Senior - BHPian

1. Tata has done their part and how! A great idea executed with all honesty and it means business! And when the main talking point is about NVH, or lack of thereof, you know they had set their priorities right and got it executed to the T. Kudos!

Would have taken a lot of bottle to get this passed all the bean counting departments. High time Tata replace their logo with a heart or something! Great going from the country' much loved automaker.

2. And Team-BHP had done theirs too! The official reviews are always special. But sometimes you dont get that feeling from the car being reviewed. Sadly true for most machines in our market. But that wasn't the case here. So, I fully expected the review to be special. And sometimes when the expectation is high, the end result might fall a bit short. But this review is straight from the heart and it really shows! Kudos to Viddy and Samurai! A nice Christmas gift indeed!

3. Lastly and most importantly, it is time for the market to reciprocate. Usually, the enthusiasts get a raw deal. But the JTP twins present great value and the respective models are also not market duds. Far from it! So, there is no reason to say no to these glorious machines if one is keen on driving and looking towards this segment.

But if Tata is not going to be rewarded for this decision and execution, I think we have to forego our right to complain about the market losing its heart and soul from here on.
deetjohn is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 13:27   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, just not sure about the positioning of this car. Sure we all know these are enthusiast cars and that's the target market. But then again would enthusiasts plonk in 7 lakhs and actually buy one of these?
What exactly do you suggest the enthusiast buy with 7 lakhs? Have you had a look at the new car market lately? All extremely boring petrol motors and flimsy build unless you want to spend over 10 lakhs on a small car.
Quote:
A first time car buyer would in all probability not go down the JTP route and most likely buy a regular Tiago purely as JTP for now is an untested product.
Untested? It is merely the same motor as is in the nexon but in a different state of tune from the manufacturer who has been spotted testing the car for quite a long time now. The tiago has been selling like hot cakes and owners of the car vary from first time car owners to seasoned car folk who have just been waiting for a more powerful version. (My mom)
Quote:
Someone looking for a second car, I'm just not sure would venture into the Tata stable.
What are you sure they would venture into? Considering Tata's display of effort lately with all new cars like the harrier and tiago as well as leasing life into old platforms with the Nexon and Hexa, more folk are interested in Tata now than ever before. Case in point would be my family once again. We have never owned a Tata car before and as an enthusiast, I am well aware of their quality control issues, even previous generation cars like the Bolt and zest simply did not cut it, however now there is simply nothing with the same level of ride quality, interior comfort, solid feeling, features etc. Tata has comprehensively overhauled their efforts in the market akin to what Hyundai did a little over a decade ago. Now my Dad is interested in the Harrier, Mom in the Tiago, my neighbor opposite's garage consists of a Crysta and a Hexa and my neighbor adjacent's garage consists of an alto and Nexon. I am providing you with examples of people from very different professions, who all own if not are considering owning a Tata as their secondary car.

Perhaps if you could list your reasoning as to why you feel this way, it would help people understand your thought process otherwise I am afraid what you have stated is pure speculation. That too lacking any basis or foundation.

No offense meant, I am simply trying to gain some perspective as someone who has himself turned away from Tata products up until the recent past, and flesh out this discussion.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 23rd December 2018 at 13:35.
IshaanIan is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 18:14   #67
WDB
BHPian

Ok, Booked my Tigor JTP today

Will know in couple of days, when to expect the delivery

It will cost me around 8.7 lac on road out here in Ahmedabad

I was under the impression that these JTPs were manufactured at the Sanand plant, the dealer say it’s manufactured at Pune

Anyway, I am excited

Will post an update of delivery time once I hear from the dealer
WDB is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 18:22   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Few times I was so hyped up reading an official review was the old Dmax, Innova Crystal and Figo ones.

But this review just took it to another level.

Plus these words of Samurai was the icing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So, what's the premise? Think of BS-II petrol cars like the Honda City Vtec, Baleno 1.6, Palio 1.6 & the Lancer. We used to redline all the time, just to hear that sweet engine note. In fact, my '05 Baleno 1.6 was the last car I redlined. After that, I turned into a far sober driver, tamely driving a Grand Vitara. Driving on ghat roads is the only fun I am allowed to have now. Besides, there are hardly any models in the market that will remind us of the glory days of petrol-car-driving in the early part of the century. Tata-Jayem want to change this status quo. Therefore, the primary goal of the JTP edition is to bring back that original joy of petrol car driving.

I gotta say Tata JTP has met that goal. I redlined after 11 years! I even drifted on purpose while carving corners . And I had no plans of doing either, even after watching Vidyut do it halfway up the ghats. However, once I started driving, I could feel the car literally begging me to push it. It had virtually no body roll, excellent grip levels, and was as nimble as a ballerina. So I had no choice. If geniuses like Dr. Banner and Dr. Jekyll couldn't help but turn into their evil versions, what hope did I have? After sliding unintentionally a couple of times, I did so intentionally many more times through the curves. The tarmac was in excellent shape. Not once did any of us feel unsafe or out of control. Basically, it brought out the inner racer in me. I drove like I hadn't since my younger days.

We mostly drove in the 2nd gear while ascending & descending the ghats. Although, I did switch to 3rd more often than Vidyut, due to the difference in our driving styles. The 3rd gear is almost like an automatic transmission, you can stay there forever. I did switch to 4th gear on our way back, but it was tall & boring.

If I have a complaint, it is about the reverse gear. Since the car is turbocharged, reverse gear offers very little torque at lower revs. If you are parked in a downward slope and have to climb in reverse, it gets complicated. I had the misfortune of doing exactly that. Reverse should have had a lower ratio. Things will get tricky and you will stall. Expect to use the handbrake & judiciously slip the clutch.

In conclusion, this car is a genuine pocket rocket. It is the most honest effort in creating a fun hatchback (along with the Abarth Punto); Tata-Jayem have succeeded in their objective.

Always liked the Tiago for being so compact, yet with a design that doesn't scream econobox like its rivals. Only the mediocre engines were the let-down.

And well, here is the answer.

Last edited by moralfibre : 23rd December 2018 at 18:58. Reason: Adding quote instead of screenshot of referred post. Please refer to our guide on how to quote / multi-quote posts.
DicKy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 20:34   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
2. Can that gaudy red ORVM bit be swapped without having to replace the whole assembly?
Two options

1. Wrap it in the color of your choice. If it were me, I'd go for a carbon fiber style - will look awesome.

2. Get the cowl repainted in your choice of color. Will be costlier than option 1.

Quote:
My concern being, I have never drove a turbo yet, understand this cars needs to be driven in a special way, worried that I may mess up the turbo and engine with my nob driving...
Your language & post is pretty much as per the standards of t-bhp.

On the turbo car driving, well - there's a first time for everything! Turbo cars are not rocket science in ownership / driving. You need to get used to the power delivery, that's a mandate for any car, the engine spec not withstanding. Sicne this has a lag, you'll need to learn it a little more than cars with a much better low end (torque).

Precautions about a turbo engine : Push the car AFTER it attains an optimal temperature - usually within a couple of kms.

ALWAYS idle for 30s after a spirited / fast / highway drives BEFORE switching off the car. This will ensure the car stays healthy for a long long time to come. If you like the JTP, please go ahead and cut the cheque, will ya!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th January 2019 at 13:54. Reason: Minor formatting
swiftnfurious is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 23:03   #70
BHPian

Does water entering through the vent (rain/wash) fall over the engine?
Is there a transparent sheet between the vent and the engine in this image? If yes, how is the water drained?

Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review-2018tatajtp05.jpg
rajathv8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 03:05   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Does water entering through the vent (rain/wash) fall over the engine?
Is there a transparent sheet between the vent and the engine in this image? If yes, how is the water drained?

Attachment 1830271
It's a heat dissipating vent, doesn't matter if water falls onto the engine in rains. As is most engines are open from below, water always sprays in from below on wet roads.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 08:37   #72
BHPian

Excellent review and an eagerly awaited one for me.
Gladdening to see that Tata's have succeeded in achieving their target.
My hope was for them to go for a 4 cylinder engine, but I think 3 cylinders are the new reality.

Another thing that I am happy about is that Tata had the confidence to go for a JV with a homegrown Indian company than play safe and sign up with some foreign company.

I was once a all-things-Tata guy (from salt to satellite TV, via cars and mobile services) but moved away from Tata after a series of disappointments. The JTP range could help rebuild the confidence.

Last edited by SKavuri : 24th December 2018 at 08:37. Reason: spelling mistakes!
Old 24th December 2018, 11:07   #73
BHPian

Did another round of calling up dealers in Pune for availability of JTP twins. Things seem to be moving forward. Now, dealers know the on-road price and each showroom has dedicated advisor for JTP. Another piece of information shared by everyone is that JTP twins are made to order cars and will be dispatched only against confirmed bookings. Also, waiting period is 4-6 weeks. As always, no expected dates for display vehicles and test-drives.
ksameer1234 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 14:03   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Did another round of calling up dealers in Pune for availability of JTP twins. Things seem to be moving forward. Now, dealers know the on-road price and each showroom has dedicated advisor for JTP. Another piece of information shared by everyone is that JTP twins are made to order cars and will be dispatched only against confirmed bookings. Also, waiting period is 4-6 weeks. As always, no expected dates for display vehicles and test-drives.
What is the on road price in Pune for Tiago?
Old 24th December 2018, 14:51   #75
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, Vid6639 and Samurai for this amazing review.

It's great to know that now HotHatch has one nice prefix: "Affordable". Tata Tiago JTP is surely an "Affordable HotHatch". Some Auto Media guy rightly pointed out "Performance has become a lot more affordable with the launch of the Tata Tiago JTP and Tigor JTP. " It looks like a complete package for a car enthusiast. However, I find two things disappointing, taller seating position and availability from a limited number of touch-points.

Quote:
Ok, Booked my Tigor JTP today
Congratulations on your booking of Tigor JTP.

Have a look at this Thread. (Gujarat Team-BHP Meet - 6th Jan, 2019)
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed