Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2019, 16:47   #151
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
If all goes well, expecting mine in 2-3 days
Wow congrats. Which dealer in Chennai? Where did you take a TD?

I test drove a Tigor JTP at Guindy Concorde and and Tiago JTP at Gurudev Koyambedu recently.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th February 2019 at 17:39. Reason: Spacing
Old 28th February 2019, 17:04   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Anyways, hearty congratulations

So, we can expect Alloys/tyres upgrade and Remap within a week's time
Thanks buddy.

Let me first enjoy the car in 'city' mode, rest can wait
Old 4th March 2019, 18:36   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Some t-bphians and me went for a TD of the Tiago JTP on Sunday. We used the spare time to TD the Hexa manual and the Harrier - will share the details on the respective threads.

Coming to Tiago JTP, the showroom - KLN Motors were super courteous and responsive. Concorde, sadly hasn't received the Tiago yet and have the Tigor JTP for TD. I was told they'll get the Tiago JTP by April. KLN also allowed for a long TD and was completely at ease. We took the car from Ekkattuthangal to Airport and did a couple of runs there. I started with the TD and for some God known reason, there was horrible traffic on the entire stretch which is unusual on a Sunday afternoon.

Even while I tried to push, the car performed normal with absolutely no wow factor. However, I liked the ride comfort, clutch weight, noise insulation and steering feel (physical). I LOVED the brakes - I think I was so impressed with the Fiesta (Aston Martin grill) before this on the brakes front. The only unpleasant factor was the "wooden" feel of the brake pedal - friends say it could be because its a new car. I did some long drive and handed over the car to my friend coz it didn't impress me much.

My friend Abhi takes the wheel and the first thing he does is to shift into Sports mode!!! That's when I realized I forgot to switch the mode while testing. There was a perceivable difference in the engine acceleration and also the growl from the exhaust. He gave a proper stick and the car responded. The SA (Sabarish) himself suggested me to take another round with the Sports mode. As luck would have it, I couldn't manage a proper TD since the vehicle movement was a little too much for pushing it. However, we still did some lane change etc and by the end of the drive, we were TOTALLY IMPRESSED with the car.

+ Dealership experience
+ Looks - the design tweak makes it look so beautiful
+ Refinement - absolutely NO vibrations on the steering, pedals or gear lever. Once at idle, I had to revv and check whether the car is running
+ Steering leather and feel - felt premium
+ Noise insulation - Hardly much noise inside but still can hear the exhaust
+ Brake modulation - very sure footed braking
+ Ride and handling package
+ Acceleration in Sports mode
+ Gear shifts except for 4-5 transition
+ AC is good - had to use speed 3 to cool 3 of us down on a hot afternoon
+ Pretty decent boot for the segment

Dislikes

- The seating position is way too high than I'd like it - almost felt SUVish
- The wooden feel of the brake pedal
- The shifting from 4-5 was just not proper, rest all gears felt good (my benchmark is still the Swift)
- The redline is at 5500 rpm and a revv limited / fuel cut off happens at 6000 rpm, low for a petrol

At 7.6L OTR price (Chennai), this is a sweet package that no one can ignore. It's fast when required and keeps passengers comfortable. The high seating position is also nice for long drives (save for the lack of sporty feel to the driver). The good sound insulation will not wear you out on the long drives, but reminds you of the special heart. The City mode is tuned well and no nasty surprises with respect to lag etc. After all the wild revv we did, the MID still showed an avg FE of 10 kmpl, Since I didn't see any variation at all, not sure it was functioning or I looked at it the correct way.

What more would I love in the car - the same kit as in Tigor (ACC / reverse parking cam). It makes the Tiago all the more practical. This is one car that has a dual personality and does both really well too. In all the excitement, we forgot to test the HK system but having tested it in Tiago before, am sure it's a nice unit. KLN has received just 2 bookings and yet to make any delivery. However, he said there are quite a few who TDed the car, were impressed but still waiting for some discounts to come in before they book it.

After the TD they took a detailed feedback too and am told the JTP guys do check it religiously. If I have to purchase a sub 10L car now, I guess this is the foremost contender. Need to see what Ford brings in with the facelift Figo and a Figo S later (considering it's a diesel).

I made this statement to my friends after the TD - "This car (Tiago) mocks a Swift in lane change". I think that sums up what TATA / Jeyam has achieved. Guys - Take a bow and THANK YOU for giving us this small bundle of joy.

Clicked on my LG V40.

Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review-20190303_155853_hdr2.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th March 2019 at 19:00.
swiftnfurious is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 18:51   #154
Senior - BHPian

So what are the odds

Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review-20190304_171620_hdr2.jpg

Today at Concorde motors
Taken by LG V40
My JTP >> Delivered
Mi10 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 00:05   #155
BHPian

Quote:
My JTP >> Delivered
Congratulations Mi10 , good to see you again in "Car" threads. Looking forward to another fascinating ownership report.

What made you sell the scarecrow btw? Just curious!

Last edited by Keynote : 5th March 2019 at 00:10.
Keynote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 09:56   #156
BHPian

Quote:

My JTP >> Delivered
Congratulations Mi10

So what happened to Scarecrow? I believe I saw it couple of weeks back in MLP with stock alloys. But the Code6 decal was intact.
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 14:32   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post
Congratulations Mi10 , good to see you again in "Car" threads. Looking forward to another fascinating ownership report.

What made you sell the scarecrow btw? Just curious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Congratulations Mi10

So what happened to Scarecrow? I believe I saw it couple of weeks back in MLP with stock alloys. But the Code6 decal was intact.
Thanks guys.

Recent shift in job profile mandates me travel quite often outside India. Wife is not comfortable with the Beast because it has Turbo lag, heavy clutch and Remap The 1.6 is a fantastic tourer, but inside the city, in b2b traffic it is bit of a pain (with or without remap)
Hence, Needed a small car that can be used by both of us. and JTP has these modes...:, the City mode for me and sports mode for wife
Mi10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 09:40   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Hence, Needed a small car that can be used by both of us. and JTP has these modes...:, the City mode for me and sports mode for wife
Congrats on your new pocket rocket.

But, shouldn't it be the other way around? That is, Sports mode for you & City mode for your wife? or am I missing something here
Old 6th March 2019, 10:19   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_t01 View Post
Congrats on your new pocket rocket.

But, shouldn't it be the other way around? That is, Sports mode for you & City mode for your wife? or am I missing something here
Thank you

You ain't missing anything. Just that i am a sane driver
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 16:19   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That's when I realized I forgot to switch the mode while testing.
There is indeed a chalk and cheese difference between city and sport mode. City mode masks the turbo lag extremely well and power delivery is smooth (compared to sport mode, jerky still otherwise). It is only the sport mode that unleashes full potential.

Quote:
Refinement - absolutely NO vibrations on the steering, pedals or gear lever. Once at idle, I had to revv and check whether the car is running
While there is noise from engine, vibrations are indeed very well controlled. Tiago from a year ago have the characteristic where vibrations are felt on steering and even the ORVMs vibrate at certain revs, nothing of that sort in JTP.

Quote:
+ Brake modulation - very sure footed braking
Quote:
- The wooden feel of the brake pedal
I find the brakes to be nicely progressive even though initial bite is not very strong. However dig deep and stopping power increases in progressive and predictable manner. I am inclined to believe that wooden feel would be specific to the car you drove. Also, I distinctly remember how the brake pedal was messed up during servicing which caused that wooden feel lasting about 50-odd kms.

Quote:
- The shifting from 4-5 was just not proper, rest all gears felt good (my benchmark is still the Swift)
Tata gearboxes are no benchmark and JTP isn't any different. However, after living with Zest, Tiago and now JTP, I have come to realise that the best way to work the gearbox is to apply minimum force for shifts. Trying to force gearshifts only makes them harder to execute. In fact, going from say 4 to 5, Tata gearboxes expect driver to go from 4 to neutral and then to 5. I don't think it is possible to go from 4 to 5 directly without making the gearbox unhappy.

Quote:
After the TD they took a detailed feedback too and am told the JTP guys do check it religiously.
Good to see this happening. JTP team has young and passionate people who want to do good work. Hope their energy translates into delightful customer experience.

Quote:
Just that i am a sane driver
I used to claim something similar earlier, JTP has changed that.

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 6th March 2019 at 16:22. Reason: grammar
ksameer1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 21:17   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
There is indeed a chalk and cheese difference between city and sport mode. City mode masks the turbo lag extremely well and power delivery is smooth (compared to sport mode, jerky still otherwise). It is only the sport mode that unleashes full potential.
I am finding the City mode very difficult to drive ! The car seems to suffer from abrupt cut off of fueling esp in low rpms ! Maybe i am still getting used to it .

Its the sports mode that really eases out the jerks. The car is in different zone when in sports mode power band. Honestly never expected the car to have such sorted out handling and dynamics. I am still not able to believe i am driving a Tata and going WoW over its handling

Ps: no disrespect to Tata but for someone coming from a Fiesta S ..Rapid..S cross this looks like black magic

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th March 2019 at 07:34. Reason: Spacing
Mi10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 22:55   #162
BHPian

I have one doubt. do you people run in the JTP? Do you have the patience?
motobliss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 01:00   #163
BHPian

Quote:
I am finding the City mode very difficult to drive ! The car seems to suffer from abrupt cut off of fueling esp in low rpms ! Maybe i am still getting used to it .

Yup it's a problem that has been faced in almost all reviewers and owners. It won't take more than an ECU update from Tata to fix it. Let's see when Tata arrests it. Tata has its hand full at the moment!
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 04:44   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobliss View Post
I have one doubt. do you people run in the JTP? Do you have the patience?
300 kms up and Already redlined thrice

Forcing myself to city mode for major amount of time to kill the itch
Mi10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 13:18   #165
BHPian

Quote:
No rear fog lamps vs Rear fog lamp which won’t work !
Yeah!! What is that about? even the SE was clueless when I asked him how the rear fog lamp is turned on and where the button for it is.
To me, it even looked like there was a bulb inside that lens.

On another note, During my test drive I was unable to pair my phone(iphone 6) to the BT system. Neither was my phone able to detect the car's system, nor was the car able to detect my phone. I had switched on the BT on both the car and the phone and set both to be visible to all.
Am I missing something? I hope it's not a case where the BT system supports only Android devices or something like that.
Forgot to add this in the feedback form.

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 12th March 2019 at 13:29.
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed