Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2019, 19:27   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review

Dear All,

I am quite amused at all your responses about the JTSV customer service. I have been trying to contact them in vain, since the official launch to get a TD and tried via dealers in Chennai. But, so far, neither have I received any call back nor any reponse to my Emails. Until shortly I was convinced to buy the Tigor eyes closed but their lack of response has made me think twice.

I am still holding some hopes and any pointers in this direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 10th April 2019 at 19:55.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 19:31   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I personally still find the car a bit jumpy and overeager in traffic. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd isn't smooth in either mode, and engine braking is very discernible when one gets off the throttle in those gears. ... Not the car's fault and not unmanageable, but I couldn't use it for a daily commute in Bangalore, for example, without getting flustered.

If we end up buying one, we'll probably lean towards the Tigor for the slightly larger cabin and significantly larger boot.
I would say we get used to a car's response. Any car. And adapt accordingly.

Like you say here, I would prefer the Tigor. I suspect it may also be a little less bouncy that the Tiago.
Old 10th April 2019, 23:26   #213
BHPian

Quote:
I personally still find the car a bit jumpy and overeager in traffic. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd isn't smooth in either mode, and engine braking is very discernible when one gets off the throttle in those gears.
Yes, the fuelling is snatchy (quite a bit) resulting in car jumping around at crawling speeds. But I find that city mode helps calm the nerves, Mi10 though finds the behaviour opposite! No two thoughts on gearbox, it is notchy and far from slick shifting. Jtp treatment has brought some firmness to shifts but don't expect much from the gearbox.
Quote:
The Tiago is also impractical as an only car (would be great as a second car for weekend/highway use) due to its compact size, the same thing that makes it a hoot on the highway.
Tiago is my first and only car in garage! I feel it is as practical as any other hatchback. I have even learnt to live with the throttle response in traffic so I am perfectly at ease there, thanks to light clutch. In fact, I feel Tiago JTP to be very practical as my solo car since it is compact enough in city and has power and stability of bigger car on highway.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 00:23   #214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
.....Mi10 though finds the behaviour opposite!
I agree with him! Sport mode, though crisper response-wise, actually felt smoother in lower gears. I could definitely modulate clutch + throttle far smoother compared to city mode. Highway performance is just .

Quote:
I feel Tiago JTP to be very practical as my solo car since it is compact enough in city and has power and stability of bigger car on highway.
Purely on driving experience, agree with you entirely. Space-wise, I find it good enough for two people and their stuff, but we need something that can take 3-4 people and reasonable luggage. I'll probably ask for another TD just to get creative with arranging luggage in the boot.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th April 2019 at 00:26.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 12:47   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Space-wise, I find it good enough for two people and their stuff, but we need something that can take 3-4 people and reasonable luggage.
I got Tiago since we will rarely have passengers in rear seat. For you though, Tigor would make a lot more sense. The boot is quite generous and designed in such a way that bigger cargo will easily fit in. Also, Tigor offers additional features like ACC, rear parking camera, better rear seat etc. while not compromising on the JTP traits.
Old 20th April 2019, 10:44   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Whats the on-road price and whats the discounts did you guys receive?
With extended warranty, some accessories, it's about 7.5L on-road. I haven't yet got my final billing invoice. Dealer said when my registration plates come in, I can pick up the remaining papers.

Discounts wise, didn't get much, in fact, it had to be an immediate purchase. I learned about the car last week of March, test drove it immediately. The ex-showroom prices were being raised by 25-50K. So I booked it literally a couple of days post the test drive.
Old 20th April 2019, 15:11   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyistheworld View Post
With extended warranty....
Was extended warranty offered, and at what price?

Bangalore dealer price lists have blanks for EW on JTP cars, I was told pricing is yet to be confirmed, and could be different from the regular variants of the cars.
Old 20th April 2019, 18:45   #218
BHPian

What to expect from a Jtp? Did I miss anything?

I drive a Tata Nano, Hyundai Creta, Toyota Innova and a Mercedes C-class. I wanted to replace my nano with a JTP, and I test drove a JTP Tiago today. Before putting my findings on this forum can a owner guide me what to expect from a JTP? I drove it on a high way and in city traffic in both city mode and sports.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd April 2019 at 18:05. Reason: Minor formatting changes. Please proof read your post before submitting.
Vulken Auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 08:04   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
What to expect from a Jtp?Did I miss anything?
Did you drive the car in Sports mode? In City mode, it runs like any other car in the segment. If you forgot to put it in Sports mode, like some of us did during TD, you might not be impressed with it.

Last edited by motobliss : 21st April 2019 at 08:09.
Old 21st April 2019, 08:23   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobliss View Post
Did you drive the car in Sports mode? In City mode, it runs like any other car in the segment. If you forgot to put it in Sports mode, like some of us did during TD, you might not be impressed with it.
I was in sports mode most of the time.

Any way iam going to pen down my understandings.

Looks : cant be any better

Handling: I could feel right away the stiff suspension and handling was very good when I changed lanes at high speeds.

Steering : 15% angle play and is very light. I prefer manual steering in my nano, its very direct.

Interiors: Cant expect much apart from those ac dials and small touch screen. You see i prefer a auto ac at this price point.

Power and torque: Low end torque or pull is very much absent, my nano does better from 0-40 kmph speed. Power its right in mid range which i could feel after 40kmph in 2& 3 gears@3000rpm. Infact i was in power band in 2,3,4,5 gears. Motor pulls cleany after that, but its not sufficient for me.

Verdict: Well it is biased as i have been around better cars. This car reminds me of my first kawasaki 250r, its looks fast initially but you get used to it and will get bored very soon . Hence a skip for me. This is definetly a fun to drive car if you want to shift gears and pull from 40- 100 kmph encironments. But one thing I was glad I experienced my crysta and my ninjas. This is definitely a track car. Oh one more thing, i could find any fuel snatching or jerks in sports mode in city traffic, its easy to tame. I might take one more test drive but im sure u was expecting more power and pull.

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 21st April 2019 at 08:51. Reason: Back to back
Vulken Auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 08:29   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What to expect from a Jtp?Did I miss anything?

I drive a tata nano, hyundai creta, toyota innova and a Mercedes c class. I wanted to replace my nano with a jtp, and I test drove a jtp tiago today. Before putting my findings on this forum can a owner guide me what to expect from a jtp? I drove it on a high way and in city traffic in both city mode and sports.
I'm not an owner, and all my knowledge about the JTP is second hand, and whatever you can read on this thread.

But this quote below, written by a normally sedate driver, summarises the JTP very nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I gotta say Tata JTP has met that goal. I redlined after 11 years! I even drifted on purpose while carving corners . And I had no plans of doing either, even after watching Vidyut do it halfway up the ghats. However, once I started driving, I could feel the car literally begging me to push it. It had virtually no body roll, excellent grip levels, and was as nimble as a ballerina. So I had no choice. If geniuses like Dr. Banner and Dr. Jekyll couldn't help but turn into their evil versions, what hope did I have? After sliding unintentionally a couple of times, I did so intentionally many more times through the curves. The tarmac was in excellent shape. Not once did any of us feel unsafe or out of control. Basically, it brought out the inner racer in me. I drove like I hadn't since my younger days.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 08:51   #222
BHPian

Quote:
I was in sports mode most of the time.
Removed my comment as you have explained.

Last edited by motobliss : 21st April 2019 at 08:53.
Old 21st April 2019, 10:55   #223

Quote:
Was extended warranty offered, and at what price?

Bangalore dealer price lists have blanks for EW on JTP cars, I was told pricing is yet to be confirmed, and could be different from the regular variants of the cars.
Here in Delhi NCR, extended warranty is offered at 6,550/- INR
joyistheworld is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 11:27   #224
BHPian

Spotted for the first time, a red Tiago JTP on the road yesterday in Chennai. Spotting a JTP on the road is like spotting a supercar and I'm loving it.
jayguar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 10:19   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Power and torque: Low end torque or pull is very much absent, my nano does better from 0-40 kmph speed. Power its right in mid range which i could feel after 40kmph in 2& 3 gears@3000rpm. Infact i was in power band in 2,3,4,5 gears. Motor pulls cleany after that, but its not sufficient for me.

Verdict: Well it is biased as i have been around better cars. This car reminds me of my first kawasaki 250r, its looks fast initially but you get used to it and will get bored very soon . Hence a skip for me. This is definetly a fun to drive car if you want to shift gears and pull from 40- 100 kmph encironments. But one thing I was glad I experienced my crysta and my ninjas. This is definitely a track car. Oh one more thing, i could find any fuel snatching or jerks in sports mode in city traffic, its easy to tame. I might take one more test drive but im sure u was expecting more power and pull.
Like i have stated, this engine is not an outright performer. There is lag, there is this issue of jumping around when u shift gears, neither high-revving nor fast-revving. However as a Package - which include the suspension tweaks, wider tyres, turbo push, BOV sound, exhaust sound, seats and the overall car - it is a cut above the rest !

Just to clarify, i am coming from lot faster and much more powerful cars and not just that, in their remapped avatars, couple of my cars were extremely crazy (peak values around 160 hp / 400 nm odd), but it didnt take one bit of sheen from the JTP's driving experience. This car is special, so much that zipping though the city, the JTP provides more grins per km over my remapped Scross 1.6 and my remapped Rapid 1.6 TDI.

Best part about JTP is that while stilling having fun on the road, i didn't have to break a bank to own it!

just my two cents!
Mi10 is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed