Team-BHP - Hyundai Santro : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Hyundai Santro : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/205678-hyundai-santro-official-review-2.html)

Can't believe this car belongs to an A+ segment. Definitely feels right up there. Kudos to Hyundai for pulling this up so well.

While the build quality is extremely great and is something unseen in this segment (besides the Tiago), this car has upped expectations for the buyers from this segment. It's kitted so well that there's hardly anything which any tech savvy would miss in terms of creature comforts. If I were to nitpick, the missing steering height adjustment and a height adjustable driver's seat are a couple of noticeable emissions in an otherwise well-kitted car.

The other aspect where the Santro didn't hit the bulls-eye; which was the main factor which could make or break the deal; the pricing. The pricing of this car, especially the higher end variants is on the higher side. Not exactly a Value-for-money pricing (which the customers in this segment want) but at the same time it's not exorbitantly priced. If I were someone looking for a car from this segment, I'd rather stretch a bit and get a bigger and an even better car from the same stable; the Grand i10. The price difference between these two cars (top-spec trims especially) is hardly anything in terms of EMI.

Next up is the AMT. Hyundai surely hit the bulls-eye here! The electronically-actuated AMT unit offers waaaaay better shift quality and drivability w.r.t other Hydraulically-actuated AMTs in the segment. Tata's and Maruti's have to learn a thing or two about this from Hyundai.

The engine on the other hand, looks good on paper with 68ps on tap and with the same 'ol 1.1 Epsilon engine, I was expecting the new one to be equally fun as the old Santro but the emission norms have taken a toll on its tuning, I guess. But at the end of the day, it's still a 4-cylinder and it's way more refined than its 3-cylinder counterparts. But with the 1.2L 4-cylinder engine making its way into the new WagonR, it's gonna be a difficult choice to make between this and that (considering the excellent power-to-weight ratios of the latter owing to the light weight). But for me, it's still gonna be the Santro over the WagonR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aditya (Post 4528614)
With the car it replaced.

While the 1st gen i10 replaced the old-Santro. I feel the new Santro has more striking exterior resemblances to the Eon, which was logically retired once the Santro was launched.

Full marks to Hyundai for the black interiors. These look fabulous than the former beige or black-beige interiors. If I were to nitpick on the interiors, its for the obsession with integrated headrests. I hope the seats are much better than the jelly beans on 1st gen i10.

Quote:

Diana Green
Wasn't this the same colour 1st gen Figo was introduced? Thankfully without the mehendi colour fascia :eek:

Those greenish accents are still an eyesore though.

Like the 1st gen Figo, am sure there'll be a few who will pick this colour for exclusivity.

Thanks for the detailed review as always. Top notch! Some of my thoughts:

1) I still can't digest the front end. The grille is too wide and should have gone for a more subtle one. Rear is comparatively better but would have preferred a more roundish tail lamp (like the Grand i10).

2) Android Auto in the i10 is a bit buggy (get's disconnected at times). Hope that isn't there on the Santro.

3) Don't understand why they fail to launch the AT in the top trim. People have been asking for it for many years now.

4) Hyundai interiors can really spoil you (in a good way). Good quality and very well bolted together. It will be hard to move on to another budget car after owning one. Good to see that in the new Santro.

5) Like pointed out, providing rear wipers only in the top trim is really disappointing. Really miss this on our i10.

6) Glad to see most of the features shown during the research made it to the production model.

Got to see only the Stardust and Green color. Gone are the days when 99% of the cars here were white :D.

Great review guys. I am posting a reply only because I love the old Santro. A nice car! Love this new avatar too and hope it does well.

I love the Diana Green version. Looks really funky! I am guessing a lot of younger people will love this version as their very first car.

And yes, I'd also like to meet the person who comes up with those colour names LOL

Fantastic review! Rated 5 stars clap:

About the car, only thing I didn't like is dashboard design. In otherwise so upmarket looking car, the dashboard reminds me of its cheaper sibling Eon.

Rest all car is top class. Tiago started the trend & now Santro is following it up nicely. A win-win situation for customers:)

I suspected that the electrically actuated AMT would perform better than the hydraulic ones. Thanks for delivering the verdict. Great review, as usual!

As usual a very detailed review, Thanks you TBHP for all the efforts !:thumbs up

In my opinion Santro seems to be an excellent small car for city use. As pointed out already, the only major down side is the lack of a top end variant in AMT variant, at least Hyundai should have given an option of passenger airbag. I know of at least 3 colleagues of mine who have rejected Santro due to this oversight.
Going by the Santro sales numbers almost 30% of the sales is AMT, Hyundai is doing a great disservice by not providing a passenger side airbag on these AMT variants...Hyundai at least give an option !!
I don’t understand why are manufacturers shying away from providing top variant (safer) under Automatic !:Frustrati

Dear Aditya & Gannu_1,

Thank you for the excellent review of the car.

Nice set of pics too, Covering nearly everything.

WagonR has its own market that caters first-time car buyers and for Santro people look at that car for beater car that will do the city runabouts.

I hired a REVV car Santro (base model) over the last weekend in Chennai. The car had just run 3700 km (and already had a knock on the lower front bumper). I found the car reasonably comfortable and zippy. My better half though preferred our old i10 to it.

The only thing I did not like was the steering column was very close to my thighs and there was no way of raising the same and there is no adjustment lever. Other than that the AC was fabulous and comfortably cold and EPS made the car very easy to handle in Chennai. For the price it is a nice small economical car.

Many thanks for the review.

Thanks, Aditya & Gannu_1 for the detailed review as always.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4528636)
This is a rare Team-BHP review where the list of “likes” runs longer than the “dislikes”.

+1
I thought the same and you pointed it out.

Hyundai has learnt the trick to do some small changes and make them segment first. A 4 cylinder engine in the entry-level hatch is a very welcome move. I TDed Santro. Its engine feels more refined and efficient compared to other cars in the same segment. A rear ac vent, Wow. Yes, it's not a game changer but it is always a good USP. Overall, the new Hyundai Santro is an amazing package and can rule the sales chart until the new WagonR's launch.

Such a crisp & detailed review as always.

Somehow always had a soft corner for Santro as compared to Wagon R as found it to be always many notches higher on quality.

This too is amazing iteration (or is it really? does not seems to be of Santro for surestupid:)

Looks promising & should surely settle to 5-6 k pm figures minimum.

But my pick in this segment will still be Tiago for what it offers & personally, the front grille is a put off of an otherwise good car for me.

I, for one, am disappointed. Period.

I happened to check out the car. The overall design seems odd to me:

- the kink in the rear window-line breaks the coherence of the side profile
- the cabin seems bland
- steering wheel design feels old
- hard plastics all around
- power window switches are located on the gear lever console (hate it)
- alloys wheels are not even an option and the list goes on
Quote:

The big wipers have a good sweep. However, they don't come on automatically when the washer is used; you have to start them manually:
Even my 1997 Maruti 800 had this feature.

After experiencing the much premium interiors of Tiago at a similar price point, I think Hyundai should've kept that as a benchmark.

This car feels like it has been built to a price but it only feels like that and retails at a higher price. The price they are asking for the top-end, I would rather get a Baleno Delta. In this segment, Tiago remains my car of choice.

Besides the 3 pot on the Tiago, it looks way better in all aspects, along with the interior features.

Am currently looking for a hatch for my wife and she simply loved the Tiago. At the same price point,the rear of the santro looks odd and a smaller boot

Looks like no under body protection is becoming a standard, our new Swift doesn't seem to have much of a covering below the engine bay either. Is is not required for our roads? Or does it make sense to do away with it? Am guessing multiple manufacturers know what they are doing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorguy (Post 4529320)
My better half though preferred our old i10 to it.

Any reason why? Are you comparing against the 1st gen or Grand i10?