Team-BHP - Hyundai Santro : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Hyundai Santro : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/205678-hyundai-santro-official-review-7.html)

These breakdown's are un nerving especially when I have booked an AMT Sportz version for my wife. I pushed her to go for Hyundai instead of the Swift which she liked!!!! Hope it's not a matter for divorce :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep (Post 4635066)
Yesterday night, my friend's 9 month old Santro AMT broke down in Bangalore. He mentioned that he had just cleared a hump at low speed and lost all drive - The car was not moving to the front or rear. Being Bangalore, he had to wait for almost 3 hours in the rain till the tow truck arrived. He is still waiting for the issue to be diagnosed by the service center.

Can you please check with your friend on how many kilometres he has covered in 9 months. Being Bangalore I assume it was crazy traffic all through.

This is the second Santro breakdown incident reported on the forum and is terrible news. I hoped Hyundai would have tested their AMTs thoroughly. Especially considering they are planning AMT transmission in the Grand i10 Nios.

Hi guys. Any update on the AMT problems of Santro?

I had cancelled order with Kothari Hyundai, Pune as they were acting pricey and booked through Mira Hyundai Warje. Was promised a car in 2 weeks and now they have no clue when the car will be dispatched. My dealer has delayed the delivery saying there are no Silver Santro AMT in stock in Hyundai plant???

Hi. The other santro has had an actuator failure. Both have failed around 7k on odo. Hyundai has also tested car till 7700 kms. Shouldn't have Hyundai run the car for 20-30 thousand kms in real world conditions? Especially since this is a newly developwd technology for them. Am considering cancelling my booking and shifting to a swift

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep (Post 4635066)
Yesterday night, my friend's 9 month old Santro AMT broke down in Bangalore.

Here is the update for this issue. Service center updated that this breakdown was due to actuator failure and replaced the same under warranty. The only proof is the attached snapshot of clutch removal labor. The car had done only about 8000 km.
Hyundai Santro : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20190819-17.19.34.jpeg

Tks. So tentatively between 7-8000 we can expect a problem. As I mentioned before Hyundai should have tested this more intensively. Strange from reputed company

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep (Post 4642133)
Here is the update for this issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palio_2005 (Post 4642265)
Tks. So tentatively between 7-8000 we can expect a problem. As I mentioned before Hyundai should have tested this more intensively. Strange from reputed company

One of the reasons I am going for a manual.

Could anyone please confirm why there are no parking sensors available on the Santro (Sportz manual and below) even after the government making it mandatory for all cars?

Took the leap of faith hoping that Hyundai would have worked on the technology having confidence that it will be used in Nios. Even Sportz AMT which comes with dual airbags and reverse camera does not have sensors. Getting them installed as part of deal. Push them. Dealers are desperate to sell and Santro is not selling as much.

Got a chance to test drive the Santro recently. My colleague intends to by a B1 segment car and since he can't drive, I get to test drive all cars and review them for him.

Overall looks were good especially from the front. The rear seemed rather bland and plain jane. Definitely looks compact and a size smaller than it's elder sibling the Grand i10.

Interior quality was excellent. Fit and finish was good, panel gaps were consistent. The only thing I did not like was the placement of the power window switches for the driver. Seemed weird. Maybe just a matter of time to get accustomed to it but felt unconventional. The doors did not shut with a heavy thud. The build quality felt light as compared to the Grand i10. Did not get a chance to check the rear seat.

The steering and clutch was super light and ideal for the city. The engine though felt poles apart from the original 1.1 engine though. Refinement was much better but the forte of that engine, the low end torque was missing. Having driven the first gen Santro for about 10k km, this felt significantly weaker at lower rpm. On the brighter side the engine revved freely and the mid to high range response was good. The older Santro felt quite gruff when revved. Did not try the redline but felt it could freely rev.

Suspension was pliant and suitable for a B1 segment family car. Comfortable but not to soft. Since the complete drive was in the city, could not test the handling.

The pricing seemed higher for the segment. Considering the discounts offered on the Grand i10, the price difference was not that high and made it look like a better bargain. Bigger, well built and a sweet 1.2 engine. I guess the Nios will also start getting discounted in the next few months which would bring down the price gap with the Santro significantly.

Hi all. Got home the Santro Sportz AMT on Aug 24th. Have driven about 50 kms since buying it in the city. Approx FE as per MID is 12 kmpl which is good (avg speed 15 kmph)

Pick up on the first gear is really bad but then car pulls away neatly from gear 2 onwards. Haven't yet tried the AMT on inclines, but by looks of it I guess, I will have to use the manual. Ride quality is good for the city.

Front seats are not so comfortable as compared to my I10 but adequate. The steering is a bit lower for my liking and with no adjustment is aimed at my stomach (I am 6'1"). Perfect for my wife who is short (5'5") who will be using the car mainly.

Got the mats, mudflaps, seat covers and rear parking sensors free of cost.

Hopefully the AMt should be trouble free. Closer to 8000 kms is what will tell us.

Some pics attached

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palio_2005 (Post 4646230)
Hi all. Got home the Santro Sportz AMT on Aug 24th. Have driven about 50 kms since buying it in the city. Approx FE as per MID is 12 kmpl which is good (avg speed 15 kmph)

Some pics attached

Congratulations. Can you post some more pictures of the exterior. I am planning to go for the manual Sportz and probably this colour. However, this colour is not often spotted at dealerships (at least by me).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pancham (Post 4646590)
Congratulations. Can you post some more pictures of the exterior. I am planning to go for the manual Sportz and probably this colour. However, this colour is not often spotted at dealerships (at least by me).

@ Pancham. Attaching the pics taken at time of PDI. If you have go for AMT sportz. You get additional airbag, reverser camera and seat belts with pre-tensioners and force limiters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palio_2005 (Post 4646230)

Some pics attached

Congratulations on the car! Wish you & family unlimited safe & happy miles with it. Sweet colour. Santro looks the best in this shade IMO.

By the way - a query. Does it come with intermittent wiper position on the stalk now? Or its still just Mist-Slow-Fast? Place where you and I live, 90% of times we need INT and not the other positions...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palio_2005 (Post 4646748)
@ Pancham. Attaching the pics taken at time of PDI. If you have go for AMT sportz. You get additional airbag, reverser camera and seat belts with pre-tensioners and force limiters.

Yes, these are the new changes they have made and increased the prices substantially. However, I am hoping that the car will mostly be driven by a driver. Planning to get this car for my mom. So manual is fine with me. Also, I don't want to take a chance with a driver handling the AMT box which is already known to have issues.

There is still one question which nobody has been able to answer. Why is the Santro still not getting parking sensors despite the govt. mandate?

Any idea? Anyone?