Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2019, 12:42   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

So they introduced the 1.5 diesel with a premium price over the 1.3, and then discontinued the latter.

Note well, when they make this BS6 compliant, this will be hiked even a lot more.

Only Maruti can afford to do this to the Indian customer.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 14:12   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
So they introduced the 1.5 diesel with a premium price over the 1.3, and then discontinued the latter.
Well, I would pay that extra premium for 1.5 for all that it offers over 1.3 - Better driveability, More refinement, 6th Gear and of course a new engine. I don't recollect the difference then but then the premium was not so much that one will bother to get confused between buying a 1.3 or a 1.5.

And seriously, given a choice today between the two, it is no brainer that most will pick up the 1.5 after experiencing the driveability aspects of this engine.

I really do not see a reason (apart from compliance) over the existence of 1.3 liter along with 1.5.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 14:19   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Only Maruti can afford to do this to the Indian customer.
I didn't quite get the point here. Could you elaborate a bit more?

The 1.5 DDiS needed money (loads of) to be invested for its R&D. It wasn't a ready-made engine like the 1.3MJD that was picked from FIAT. That R&D cost certainly needs to be recovered from Ciaz & Ertiga sales yeah?

The 1.3 MJD was slated to be discontinued anyway & everyone knew it was bound to happen. The 2 variants were available while the 1.3 MJD production was done in sufficient volumes. Evidently now MSIL is reducing the manufacture of that engine as we near its discontinuation. Its logical as otherwise they'll risk ending up with engine stock left beyond 1st April with no possible application other than ballast.

It was a good thing in fact that fleet operators still had chance to buy the 1.3 MJD if they wanted to & save some bucks. But it was bound to stop & now it did.

I really didn't understand the line about Maruti being able to do this. Are you suggesting the 1.5L engine should have been launched without any price change at all? I'd say in fact absolutely no car maker would do that charity on the contrary.

Last edited by Reinhard : 14th August 2019 at 14:21.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 14:28   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I really didn't understand the line about Maruti being able to do this. Are you suggesting the 1.5L engine should have been launched without any price change at all? I'd say in fact absolutely no car maker would do that charity on the contrary.
True. Like I said earlier, I don't have the numbers but I remember that the premium wasn't that steep over 1.3 that would shoo away potential buyers from 1.5.

I would also wonder what training would the sales staff need if they were to sell these 2 engine variants on the same car side by side and how would they justify one over the other.

The fact is that it is the end of an era for 1.3 MJD. It has seen enough of our country roads in a variety of cars from a lot of manufacturers and not just Maruti. For Maruti, the new 1.5 engine is the result of a lot of effort and hard-work and at least the way the engine has been reviewed by all till now, it has mostly earned bouquets unlike quite a few examples from other manufacturers, not to forget the crappy 2 cylinder DDiS for the Celerio by Maruti themselves.

At one point we all complained, cried, loathed the immortality of 1.3 Engine from FIAT and how old it had started to feel with new (and better) entrants in the 1500cc Segment, here we are today to question the very motive of discontinuing the 1.3 and adding a premium for the 1.5.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 08:11   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I didn't quite get the point here. Could you elaborate a bit more?.
I meant, the Indian customer feels at home with brand maruti; quietly eating the blandest of what mom/wife cooks; while for other brands, it's like scrolling through the menu card of the restaurant and still wishing they had something different.
Old 15th August 2019, 13:34   #261
BHPian

Need help
I have bought an audio unit for new ertiga from Motorogue
Any pointers to any service/auto accessory Center which can best install this in and around JP Nagar, Bangalore?
Any DIY suggestions would be also OK.
Harish
Old 17th August 2019, 15:33   #262
BHPian

Got it done at Pitstop JP Nagar
Installed also the reverse camera and job done was good
However I was not happy with the audio unit - just a cheap android unit - and I would not recommend to anyone - stick to known brands or MGA if available.
harishhm74 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 11:37   #263
BHPian

Tyre problem

I have New gen Ertiga ZXI AT with Bridgestone tyres. Just before a trip to Mysuru, I noticed a gash on the ridge of front right tyre. I swapped it with the spare wheel and continued the journey.

Picture attached. What remedy can I take? Is it a major issue or a patch work would be sufficient?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ertiga : Official Review-img_20190818_1000582.jpg  

rich_heart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 11:43   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
Tyre problem

I have New gen Ertiga ZXI AT with Bridgestone tyres. Just before a trip to Mysuru, I noticed a gash on the ridge of front right tyre. I swapped it with the spare wheel and continued the journey.

Picture attached. What remedy can I take? Is it a major issue or a patch work would be sufficient?
Replace the tyres, do not attempt any sort of repairs on a tyre with such a deep cut near the sidewalls. Since its a new tyre, you can push for a replacement at Maruti Service, although the case may be rejected citing external damage.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 11:52   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ouch! Courtesy of a sharp rock on the road certainly. It cant be fixed. No way for that.

Just keep it as your spare tyre. We rarely actually use them! If in future you face a scenario where you need a spare - you can use this to drive to the nearest tyre shop & get your primary tyre fixed. Just ensure you never continue using this tyre as BAU after that. Keep it strictly as a spare.

If having a tyre with a gash will give you sleepless nights - you have to replace it with a new one I'm afraid. I'd not do that if I were you.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 09:41   #266
BHPian

Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Any idea if we can get XL6 fitments like the scruff plates, roof rails etc on zxi versions? I would also be loving it if we could get the cruise control retrofitted into the zxi auto.
Anyone has tried this and idea of cost of these from MGA?
Old 1st September 2019, 19:14   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Tyre problem

Thanks for your advices. I swapped tyre to the spare one...I have run total of around 4k KMS...so, I hope it's ok. The tyre guy pasted the cut with some glue. Should be enough to just hold it temporarily.
Old 1st September 2019, 20:20   #268
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for your advices. I swapped tyre to the spare one...I have run total of around 4k KMS...so, I hope it's ok. The tyre guy pasted the cut with some glue. Should be enough to just hold it temporarily.
A quick question, does the Ertiga come with same size spare tyre?
Old 2nd September 2019, 00:04   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
A quick question, does the Ertiga come with same size spare tyre?
Yes. And it doesn't have alloy rims.
Old 2nd September 2019, 11:02   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I meant, the Indian customer feels at home with brand maruti; quietly eating the blandest of what mom/wife cooks; while for other brands, it's like scrolling through the menu card of the restaurant and still wishing they had something different.
Yes, but the bland stuff keeps the stomach in shape and costs less too.

That really is the difference, between MSIL and other products.
Cheap to buy, cheap to run, and lasts for an eternity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks