Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2019, 10:58   #16
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Never been a fan of Ertiga, poor choice of engines, tin build quality, unsettled ride and poor design. Looks like Maruti has addressed only the design and is content that people will buy even if they rebadge and sell the Dolphin car.
Chillout is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 11:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

What happens to the accessories like the stereo and the a/c when the smart hybrid system switches the engine off at a stop light? Do they continue to run especially the a/c or do they stop functioning as well?
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 12:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post

Both are equipped with the company's mild-hybrid system with an idling start / stop function. The petrol gets an additional lithium-ion battery under the front passenger's seat for improved fuel economy.

I still don't understand how putting in an additional Lithium-ion battery improves the fuel economy..
Old 15th February 2019, 13:50   #19
jpm
BHPian

Great Review as always.

Having lived with the new Ertiga VXi for the past one month and about 2500km, I just would like to reiterate some points from the review.

With my children suffering from Innova induced projectile vomiting syndrome, choices were not many to start with for our large joint family. Marazzo is a newbie with potential, but if prior Mahindra launches are anything to go by, its better to wait for its sophomore year.

So Booked the Ertiga VXi on first visit to showroom itself. After all, no one has been fired for buying a Maruti.

Things I Like

1) Pick Up is brisk thanks to the SHVS system that helps the car pull like as if it has got a small turbo. The feeling is greatly enhanced when you see those lovely animated graphics in the MID with arrows moving from the battery to the engine!

2) Easy to drive. Like any normal hatchback. Even switching from an Alto wont give you trepidation about the size or maneuverability.

3) Space and this is The Big One! For a joint family with 6 adults and 3 primary school kids, we have little choice in India. Due to usable 3rd row seats, all 9 of us can travel in a single car for simple short trips. Economics of not needing a second car aside, the pleasure of travelling together is priceless. Children can get some sleep during longer journeys. Shopping trips are easy too if you get the third row down.

Get the second row down and you can be your own 'Heisenberg' doing innovative cooking business from the back of your ertiga.

Some things I dont like
1) Our VXi came with the dreaded audio system. Planning to upgrade it but no time yet.

2) Fit & Finish is tinny typically maruti. I am somehow reminded of melamine dinnerware. Looks grand but the feeling is gone the moment you touch them.

3)The engine is unusually noisy for a petrol. Above 100kmph, the noise levels get high and at 120kmph, it becomes unbearable so much so that you feel like slowing down instinctively. At times, I think this was intentionally done to act as a soft speed limiter.

4)Surprisingly poor efficiency for a car this light with hybrid stuff. I consistently get 11kmpl within the city and out on highways at 100kmph, barely get 14-15kmpl. This is as per MID, which we all know are usually very optimistic. I am still not logging the fuel tank-to-tank for fear of getting disappointed.

---------

Overall, considering our need, Ertiga was the right spacious fit that is easy to drive and maneuver. I get this joyous feeling like I scored a 36-run per over by getting a 7 seater for under 10 lakhs! Almost like Maruti is doing a lightning discount on these things or something and I was on time to pounce on it.

Let me say that again, the joy is in travelling. That too together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
What happens to the accessories like the stereo and the a/c when the smart hybrid system switches the engine off at a stop light? Do they continue to run especially the a/c or do they stop functioning as well?
The stereo continues to function. However, the AC switches off and only the fans work as far as I see. Hence, the Hybrid system keeps switching on and off at random times based on, am guessing, the in cabin temperature. It sounds useful in cities with timed street lights/railway crossings etc but in my town, I don't see the system doing much. If anything, my start stops are hardly for 10 seconds max and am actually concerned if that will put additional load on the engine.
jpm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 14:02   #20
BHPian

A very well crafted review indeed. The Ertiga has grown up immensely from before when it was the poor man's Innova. It has been able to craft its own sub-niche in the MPV segment and sales too have reflected positively.
The new Ertiga is more of an evolution than a revolution (reminds me of generational changes of the 911) and delivers on most of its promises. It would be unfair to compare it to the Innova (price being the main raison-d'etre) but still comparisons can be clawed with the Marazzo. With the new Ertiga MSIL wants to take back the advantage which has gone towards Marazzo.

Slightly OT: I would love to see how the Kia Carnival gets placed in the MPV battles (Merc V Class is a Meh)
Old 15th February 2019, 14:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review as always. I have already booked the car and happy to read that there is no major show-stopper in the review that will make me re-think my decision. Relieved to read that the suspension is not as bad as some other folks had mentioned in the news related thread.

I never test drove the car, but having sampled enough cars so far (Petrol Brio, Santro, Diesel Beat and Linea) I had a fair idea how good or bad the engine and NVH are going to be for this car. Sound insulation seems comparable to the Brio which was not much of an issue for me, also I am hoping that once the engines clock 10,000 kms it will get smoother, just like the Linea. Build quality was ok'ish' and might need additional care from owners to not have dents on the huge mass of metal on the sides.

For a person like me who wants to have a car which will carry a family of 5 which includes a baby and a senior citizens along with his pram and other things, this MPV is a no-brainer. I see some people saying its a Ritz with a third row. Sure it is, but then the comparison stops when you slide the second row all the way back and see how much leg room it has ! Space is something we can't buy as an accessory, and this is where the Ertiga scores over sedans or sub-4 meter cars.

The Marazzo makes sense, but the only problem is the higher variants cost more than 15 lakh on road which is frankly on the higher side, the V()i models of Ertiga offer best bang for buck for most of the middle class.
NiInJa is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 16:02   #22
BANNED

Excellent review, covered almost all the aspects.
The new Ertiga grille design looks so similar to the new XUV5OO/XUV3OO grille design.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 16:34   #23
BHPian

Wow finally the New Ertiga review goes live! It is great to see my car compared to the new one and thanks to Kanad for letting me have a look at the new Ertiga in the wee hours of the day. It was nice meeting Eddy as well!

As owner of the last gen Ertiga (my Granite Grey car in the pictures beside the new one), I felt the interiors were a step forward and finally they decided to give ACC! The rear windows felt bigger than last gen car and also the boot space is much more usable.

Overall, I feel that they have improved the Ertiga by solving the little flaws here and there. It is already an accomplished package overall. This little fine tuning has made it better. And yes, I love the front end but I still prefer the older car's rear.

Last edited by RoadGlide : 15th February 2019 at 16:39.
RoadGlide is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 22:17   #24
BHPian

As usual, a thorough review covering every possible aspect. A rare Maruti that tips the scale at 1.1 and 1.2 tonnes respectively. The new Ertiga has a lot going for it and with that 7.5 ex-showroom pricing there seems no stopping it from consolidating as a segment leader. It is an important product for MSIL considering the diverse clientele it will serve.
Kuldeep31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 00:28   #25
BHPian

This one took a while to come out, considering that the launch was somewhere around Nov 15? As usual, greatest attention to detail. - music not being audible on the third seat - unless you crank the volume really up. Something that was brought to our attention consistently by a 6 year old during the drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
With my children suffering from Innova induced projectile vomiting syndrome,
What is that? Can you please explain. From the little i know of motion sickness - a soft suspension and vertical movement - bobbing are the prime culprits. Innova's generally offer pretty planted ride quality.

Quote:

Some things I dont like
3)The engine is unusually noisy for a petrol. Above 100kmph, the noise levels get high and at 120kmph, it becomes unbearable so much so that you feel like slowing down instinctively. At times, I think this was intentionally done to act as a soft speed limiter.

4)Surprisingly poor efficiency for a car this light with hybrid stuff. I consistently get 11kmpl within the city and out on highways at 100kmph, barely get 14-15kmpl. This is as per MID, which we all know are usually very optimistic. I am still not logging the fuel tank-to-tank for fear of getting disappointed.
It does get noisy above 75 - 80kmpt, you can feel it creep in. I haven't exceeded 80 as yet, have just covered 250 odd km. Did you receive any run-in instructions, i didn't.

Fuel efficiency, my display shows 8.5 kmpl after 250 odd kms. But then, i have been stuck for while in traffic. But i agree it is no where remotely near the claimed figures, and not that i expect them to be right up there.

Quote:
---------

Overall, considering our need, Ertiga was the right spacious fit that is easy to drive and maneuver. I get this joyous feeling like I scored a 36-run per over by getting a 7 seater for under 10 lakhs! Almost like Maruti is doing a lightning discount on these things or something and I was on time to pounce on it.

This is the prime reason for anyone looking to buy the ertiga. Other factors fade away, competition is a bit too expensive and so is the footprint

Quote:
The stereo continues to function. However, the AC switches off and only the fans work as far as I see. Hence, the Hybrid system keeps switching on and off at random times based on, am guessing, the in cabin temperature. It sounds useful in cities with timed street lights/railway crossings etc but in my town, I don't see the system doing much. If anything, my start stops are hardly for 10 seconds max and am actually concerned if that will put additional load on the engine.
Useful in the city, the stereo, headlamps stay on during the cutover, but like you have mentioned, it has a mind of it's own, it sometimes cuts over sometimes it does not. It will display "auto start stop not available" and then switch off. But i have observed that it does not work for the first 15/20 minutes in the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Relieved to read that the suspension is not as bad as some other folks had mentioned in the news related thread.
Do read it again , it says I quote

"On undulating roads rear has a tendency to bounce and feel wallowy" - both point to vertical movement/bobbing.

"Body roll is there but well controlled by MPV standards" - at 35/40 kmph mild/moderate curve one can feel the roll

"EPS - Enthusiasts should not expect any feedback though" - one has no idea what the wheels are up to. At 80 it becomes edgy - for someone not used to the lightness of EPS.

Well, i did encounter nose dive almost every time i braked, i guess i will have relearn to brake progressively to keep folks at the back more comfortable.

If one reads it again, the summary seems to be - It is easy to drive it like a car, but if you want to keep folks comfortable drive it sedately like a MPV .

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 16th February 2019 at 00:32.
cyberwhizs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 07:05   #26
BHPian

Excellent review as expected from a Team-BHP review.
Will be taking delivery of my AT ZXI next week and I am doing my PDI today.

The audio unit really sucks and the upgrade to z+ head unit seems to cost 60k.
Any other audio suggestions?
Or probably I should wait for the larger HU which may be launched with the Nexa version like they did in Philippines launched model.
harishhm74 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 11:12   #27
BHPian

Great review, as always. No major surprises or deal breakers. The Ertiga was always a practical choice for those on a budget & it continues to be so.
As is the saying - there are no bad products, only bad prices. Those deriding Ertiga citing it's thin build & rough edges should consider which other car gives so much square footage in that price band. Sure the Ertiga has its gremlins but we should also judge it in the context of its pricing. It is basically 75% of the Innova at 50% of the price. If you want something better built, having larger foot print & greater feature set, then be ready to spend 20l & get the Innova.
For its price, the Ertiga is perfectly all right.
superbad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 11:39   #28
BHPian

As always, a truly comprehensive team-bhp official review.

My parents got themselves a blue petrol Ertiga ZXi plus, just 6 weeks ago, to replace their 5 year old SX4. My dad has been a loyal customer of the maruti-suzuki group and has had the original 800, Zen, Swift, the SX4 and now the Ertiga. The diesel variant, seemed to have a lack lustre underpowered engine and considering my parents don't really do long trips and distances, they went for the top spec petrol version.

I had a chance to drive it around on a couple of occassions during my recent visit to Kerala. I found it to be a very well planted car to drive, powerful enough for normal driving, with loads of space inside. It was perfect of my family of 4 adults and 2 kids, with some space for a weekend trip luggage to spare. It felt like a lot of car for the price. Given that there is a huge price gap between this and the Hexa / Innova type people carriers, I am sure it will find many takers.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 15:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That seems more in line with FE for an Automatic. Is yours Manual or an Automatic? If yours is a Manual, then I wonder how much lower people with an Autobox are getting

Quote:
Well Said...
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 23:07   #30
BHPian

As usual great review! Thanks.

Happy to see my observations on build quality are noticed and mentioned!

I am in market for a new car preferably a 7 seater or 5+2 option. Considered all options till Crysta GX. My final decision was based on these
  1. Good ride quality
  2. Ability to maneuver in Bangalore traffic (as my 50% running is inside City) and do not want to have 2nd car for city commute
  3. Past record of making reliable cars. Do not have appetite to take risk with hard earned post tax 1M+ INR
  4. With 2nd row bench seat which can be taken on company lease
I do not have an option other than Ertiga. Though I do not like the overall build quality of Ertiga, I booked one just because there is no other option. At the end there is no perfect car, I have to compromise on this aspect for the other criteria which have been met. I intend to keep this for next 5 years as I am going for company lease. Hoping to have better options to be available by then with better quality and safety features for me to choose from.
blorebuddy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed