Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2019, 12:44   #211
BANNED

Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
Lithium battery - reconfirmed that it never charges to full 5 bars. hovers at 3.
It does get to 5 bars in our Ertiga ZXi AT.

Quote:
Filling air in the spare tyre implies lowering the tyre, the wheel does not sit the other way around, This is a bit of hassle every time one wants to get the pressure checked.
Why not rotate the wheel upside down? Will be easier to fill-in without lowering it.

We've done it that way so it is pretty easy now.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 17:04   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Couple of minor scratches/dents courtesy the trees in my building and couple of autowallahs who brushed past when the vehicle was stationary. Got it touched up - messy results.
Not so bad in Hyundais and Tatas. I too have Ertiga, 2016 model and this is carried forward feature due to really poor paint quality.

Quote:
3. Reverse gear does not slot correctly - i had raised it during first service also, now it slots more easily but the smoothness of slotting the other gears has become worse.
Common across all makes. Usually the solution is slot in 4th the neutral and try reverse else move ahead a bit in 1st and try slotting in reverse. Seen in Hyundais, Marutis and Tatas.

Quote:
6. Filling air in the spare tyre implies lowering the tyre, the wheel does not sit the other way around, This is a bit of hassle every time one wants to get the pressure checked.
That's odd. I have already flipped the tyre in the bracket and the air inlet is now facing downwards. I have made sure to have the inlet is at closest point from rear end of car. While filling air I just remove the cap and that boy just puts the air by extending his arm to locate the valve and the job is done. It is odd that the tyre cannot be flipped in new Ertiga. Please re confirm this.
Old 8th July 2019, 20:14   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It does get to 5 bars in our Ertiga ZXi AT.

Why not rotate the wheel upside down? Will be easier to fill-in without lowering it.

We've done it that way so it is pretty easy now.
That is news to me, both during the first and second service I explicitly asked the Service Advisor on this. During the first service, they took a couple of days to reconfirm that indeed it does not go to 5 bars. It did not reach 5 bars even after continuous drive of 600 + km, which is why i raised it in the first service itself.

I explicitly asked the service advisor to flip the spare upside down, he said that it does not fit and will rattle. I guess he was just lazy and did not get it done, i will have to try and see it myself now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Not so bad in Hyundais and Tatas. I too have Ertiga, 2016 model and this is carried forward feature due to really poor paint quality.

Common across all makes. Usually the solution is slot in 4th the neutral and try reverse else move ahead a bit in 1st and try slotting in reverse. Seen in Hyundais, Marutis and Tatas.

That's odd. I have already flipped the tyre in the bracket and the air inlet is now facing downwards. I have made sure to have the inlet is at closest point from rear end of car. While filling air I just remove the cap and that boy just puts the air by extending his arm to locate the valve and the job is done. It is odd that the tyre cannot be flipped in new Ertiga. Please re confirm this.
Will try following the steps detailed above, it is not that it does not slot at all, but takes a couple of attempts.

I can reconfirm that the Service Advisor said not doable, but going by what i am hearing here, i will try and personally see if there is a genuine issue or the service advisor was just being lazy.

Thanks, looks like maruti is taking me for a ride. It is my first maruti experience, have dealt with tatas and fords in the past, looks like they just the same.
Old 8th July 2019, 22:46   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
I'm going in circles with these options and don't feel like any one point will help me make up my mind.
I guess, irrespective of which car I pick, I will probably always keep thinking that I have made the wrong decision!
So after a lot of dilly-dallying and wasting productive hours wondering which is the right car, I unconvincingly decided that I should buy the BRV and head to Sapphire Honda on ORR (Bangalore) on a Friday evening at 5PM...brave right?!

I reached there with my wife and was asked to wait for the sales guy. It took them about 20 mins to get the sales guy even though I told them that I was there to book the car... I would've expected them to come running as I was going to part with my cash. Anyway after some 20 mins of waiting he comes up to me, exchanges pleasantries and tells me that he is busy and another bloke will attend to me. So a new guy gets assigned and he rattles the cost of the car, registration, insurance, etc, etc. He quotes Rs.16.19L on-road for the automatic variant. I ask for offers, and after all the possible discounts the rate was Rs.15.67L. I had to upgrade the age-old music system and some more accessories (which the wife wanted) and it took the price back to Rs.16.1L. They also said that it will take about 3 weeks to get the car. So there I was completely miffed and still unconvinced about the BRV and its price point.

My wife had given me an ultimatum that we had to book the car on the same day. So I requested that we do one trip to Pratham Motors to check the Ertiga. She reluctantly agreed and we reached that place at around 6 PM. Saw the Ertiga and this time my wife somehow liked the Ertiga more than the BRV. The price quoted was Rs.12.2L for the AT variant and we decided to make the booking for the car which would come to us after 24 weeks. I took a chance and checked with the sales lady if there is any possibility to get the car sooner. She said that at times there are some bookings for which the customer is unable to pay immediately and the car is offered to other customers. She then checked with someone and said that there was a grey and two maroon colors Ertigas which are going to be offered to other customers. I was anyway looking at the grey and asked if we can get it, she again made calls and said that if we can make the full payment immediately then the car can be allotted to us. We were going for a loan and the loan team swung into action immediately and we got our loan documents processed that evening itself. I also wanted to see the car before finalizing and Pratham folks were more than ok for me to visit the yard and see the car. So on Saturday I visited the yard and checked out all three cars. There were just 3 Ertiga in a huge yard full of other MS cars and the grey was what we liked and our choice was made... so confirmed and made all the necessary payments. The car was sent for registration on Monday and we collected the car on Thursday (auspicious day and all that). My wife went berserk with the accessories, Sony AX5000, reverse camera, seat covers, etc which added another ~35K. So for Rs.12.6L, we brought home the Ertiga ZXi AT in exactly 5 days.

So far the car is fine, and it has clocked about 400km with one airport run and lots of bumper-to-bumper Banglore traffic. FE has held on to ~12KMPL and everything works as expected from a Maruti. You also end up getting some attention on the road as the car is still not a common sight. A few more months and then they will be everywhere like all other Maruti cars/bacteria!

So here is what convinced me for the Ertiga over the BRV is the price difference of Rs.3.5L which can be put to better use... I have an aging Palio (11 yrs) and an i10 which is also going to turn 10 this year. So if I can get to sell both the cars, and top it up with the money saved from the Ertiga, then maybe I can buy a pre-worshipped Laura 1.8 TSI....the hunt starts again!
madhav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 01:39   #215
BHPian

I searched for the 'quality' in this review and I found it associated with the words 'acceptable', 'average', 'typical Maruti'.

Don't know what I expected :-( .
Old 9th July 2019, 09:35   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So far the car is fine, and it has clocked about 400km with one airport run and lots of bumper-to-bumper Banglore traffic. FE has held on to ~12KMPL and everything works as expected from a Maruti. You also end up getting some attention on the road as the car is still not a common sight. A few more months and then they will be everywhere like all other Maruti cars/bacteria!
Everything is fine with Ertiga (new) except the build quality. It carries forward everything from older one, more space and definitely a better deal over Honda. Now be careful about dents, scratches and more of such kind in Bangalore. I too have 2016 Grey Ertiga and happy about it. Nice highway cruiser and really cool family car.
Old 9th July 2019, 09:45   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alterlife View Post
I searched for the 'quality' in this review and I found it associated with the words 'acceptable', 'average', 'typical Maruti'.

Don't know what I expected :-( .
Not very sure what you mean by the words "quality in this review " so will be highly appreciated if you can clarify.

As for the reliability of a Maruti, there is one thing for sure - you will not be stranded due to breakdowns, will not be let down by the service centre, and will not be let down by the mileage.

If you are looking for German build quality look elsewhere.

Last edited by nsbhagwat : 9th July 2019 at 09:45. Reason: Edit
Old 9th July 2019, 09:57   #218
BHPian

Quote:
FE has held on to ~12KMPL
You mentioned that you booked for AT? 12kmpl is pretty good. I too own an AT but FE has been at best at 10kmpl. How did you calculate? Full tank to full tank or any other method? What sort of traffic do you usually travel in?
Mine is half bumper to bumper and half on emptier stretches and with AC on full time.

Last edited by rich_heart : 9th July 2019 at 10:04.
Old 9th July 2019, 11:52   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Everything is fine with Ertiga (new) except the build quality. It carries forward everything from older one, more space and definitely a better deal over Honda. Now be careful about dents, scratches and more of such kind in Bangalore. I too have 2016 Grey Ertiga and happy about it. Nice highway cruiser and really cool family car.
Yes, very poor build & paint quality. I already got a scratch on the left front fender and door area and the paint has come off and there is also a slight dent. It hurt for some time but decided to move on as it is not very visible. Bangalore has laid its customary mark on my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
You mentioned that you booked for AT? 12kmpl is pretty good. I too own an AT but FE has been at best at 10kmpl. How did you calculate? Full tank to full tank or any other method? What sort of traffic do you usually travel in?
Mine is half bumper to bumper and half on emptier stretches and with AC on full time.
Yes, I did the full tank method. The second full tank was done when the gauge was a little less than the 1/2 mark. It took about ~23 liters for about 280 Km. I think the airport run was a major contributor to this and the MID showed 13.1Kmpl. My drive is typically on ORR and about 20 Kms/day. However, I'm against the traffic for the most part so the entire 10Km distance is completed in under 15 mins. I've had only one other long drive in the crazy traffic of going from Bellandur to Malleswaram at 9 AM. This time the MID showed an FE of 11.9Kmpl. And of course, AC is on all the time.

These are the early days, so I have to check if the FE will continue in this manner or drop further!
Old 9th July 2019, 13:14   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These are the early days, so I have to check if the FE will continue in this manner or drop further!
You will get 13-14kmpl in Bangalore over time for the type of driving you are facing daily. For me it is worse, and it drops to 11 sometimes even with manual transmission
Old 9th July 2019, 16:49   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
Not very sure what you mean by the words "quality in this review " so will be highly appreciated if you can clarify.

As for the reliability of a Maruti, there is one thing for sure - you will not be stranded due to breakdowns, will not be let down by the service centre, and will not be let down by the mileage.

If you are looking for German build quality look elsewhere.
Oh, sorry that was not clear. To clarify, the review is great!

I meant I did a search for the word "quality" in the review and read each sentence where quality was mentioned and this is what I got:

Quote:
• Build, quality & refinement are strictly average for a million-rupee car
paint quality is acceptable, it's certainly not exceptional. The Ertiga's build is 'average' at best for a car costing a million bucks.
the materials used are of average quality (typical Maruti quality),
interior quality is acceptable, but just that for a million+ rupee car
the part quality of the Santro which we tested before this was indisputably the superior
the plastic quality is mediocre
Sound quality is strictly average
as audio quality is just average
Ride quality is compliant
As a Maruti owner myself, that is exactly in line with what I expected from Maruti, and I don't know why but I was hoping for something different.
Alterlife is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 17:51   #222
Senior - BHPian

Ertiga 6 Seater Concept images

Maruti Ertiga : Official Review-marutiertiga6seaterdebutsindialaunch6750x430.jpg

Maruti Ertiga : Official Review-marutiertiga6seaterdebutsindialaunch7750x430.jpg

Maruti Ertiga : Official Review-marutiertiga6seaterdebutsindialaunch3750x430.jpg

Maruti Ertiga : Official Review-marutiertiga6seaterdebutsindialaunch1750x430.jpg

Maruti Ertiga : Official Review-marutiertiga6seaterdebutsindialaunch4750x430.jpg

Maruti Ertiga : Official Review-marutiertiga6seaterdebutsindialaunch8750x430.jpg

Quote:
Interiors of the new Maruti Ertiga 6 seater is finished beige. Front seats are similar to the one’s we have seen in current Ertiga. Second row seats have foldable middle portion (convertible arm rest), which is probably a 40-20-40 split. This means that the 6 seater Ertiga can also be used as a 7 seater. 3rd row seats are same as current Ertiga.
Link
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 08:30   #223
BHPian

Doesnt look like a true 6 seater.
Old 19th July 2019, 09:57   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Ertiga 6 Seater Concept images
How about the build quality? With Tata motors projecting the strength of their cars everywhere, is there any mention of build quality by Maruti or still the same new light weight heartect platform? If it is the same, it will be disappointing.
Old 19th July 2019, 11:40   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How about the build quality? With Tata motors projecting the strength of their cars everywhere, is there any mention of build quality by Maruti or still the same new light weight heartect platform? If it is the same, it will be disappointing.
I have shared the link for the news. I do not think that they will change the platform for making a 6-7 seater vehicle out of the one which they are already selling in the market. The only noticeable differences are mentioned in the article.

I am pretty sure that the platform will be the same and so will be the sheet metal strength. Wait till Global NCAP tests it before giving out the verdict on the platform's safety. Swift weighs very less in comparison to Ertiga, I am sure that they have taken the necessary measures to pass the Frontal and Offset Crash Norms which will come into effect soon while designing these new age vehicles.

Most Viewed