Team-BHP - Honda CR-V : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Honda CR-V : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/207520-honda-cr-v-official-review-3.html)

Looking at our beloved mod struggling to get in and out of the third row, I think it makes more sense to get a five seater version, place a chataai (Indian mat) in the boot, get in by opening the hatch and sit down with legs folded, two people can fit easily that way, probably playing a game of cards stupid:

Honda has lost it when it comes to the diesel CR-V. They gave better fit and finish to this car, but gave a puny diesel engine (The XUV3OO has same torque figures and comes at a half the price). Then, they went ahead and priced this SUV which encroaches the territory of some ruthless rulers : Fortuner, Kodiaq etc. Will a person paying 30L INR really care about fuel efficiency over engine's power ?

Anyway, I think those who really want this car will- in all probability- go for the petrol version.

Thanks, blackwasp & Vid6639 for this detailed review.

Latest CRV launched on OCT 2019. After that, the dispatch/sales numbers don't look that good.

OCT-228, NOV-106, DEC-113, JAN19-122 and FEB19-59

It's basically Honda's premium product. However, IMHO, it's not able to even compete with XUV500 as a perfect package. And if we talk about those two biggies ( Fortuner and Endeavour). CRV would get kicked out of the race. Honda added many features but a small engine and ugly looks cant be compensated by bells and whistles.

Thanks for the detailed review, guys!

The way I see it, it's a good product but Honda missed the trick with the price. Shave off a few lakhs and this will move much faster. Even at this price though, the CR-V will find enough takers to satisfy the ego of the Honda management. The CR-V has a typical loyal market for whom it serves the purpose very well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwasp (Post 4558467)
• The Auto Expo car had black interiors, powered tailgate and front passenger electric seat adjustment, but no sunroof. The production-spec car got the sunroof but missed on the others!

Real-world feedback making its way to product management. Why is this surprising; we're a sunroof-crazy nation. That said, on a 30 lakh car, the two other features (electric seat adjustment and powered tailgate) shouldn't have been skimped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJM1214 (Post 4559096)
Thanks, blackwasp & Vid6639 for this detailed review.

Latest CRV launched on OCT 2019. After that, the dispatch/sales numbers don't look that good.

OCT-228, NOV-106, DEC-113, JAN19-122 and FEB19-59

It's basically Honda's premium product. However, IMHO, it's not able to even compete with XUV500 as a perfect package. And if we talk about those two biggies ( Fortuner and Endeavour). CRV would get kicked out of the race. Honda added many features but a small engine and ugly looks cant be compensated by bells and whistles.

The CR-V does not look ugly! Maybe that is your opinion. Of course she won’t be winning any beauty contests but I would not call it “ugly” by any means. But I have to agree on the engine: That’s the biggest dealbreaker of the car, not the price (well at least for those who can spend 3 million on a 116 bhp car clap: )

The new CR-V is quite a pleasing car, nothing much to fault on quality as well. But the problem is, the competition has drastically improved the game and there are options which work better on power, comfort, and character. A better reality check from Honda would’ve been ideal.

A few years back Honda launched the Jazz in India, which effectively helped the Hyundai i20. I believe they are doing similar favours to Skoda now – the Kodiaq suddenly looks like a powerful machine in comparison.

I love the lane watch system, it is very useful here in the US although I turn my neck to check my blindspot. :P

I think the 1.6 diesel with the 158BHP state of tune would have given Honda a really good chance in the segment. Except for miserable FE, I've not heard a single complaint from previous gen CR-V owners. I wouldn't have complained about the price if Honda had offered a more powerful diesel.

Overall, seems like a good car let down by a poor engine choice.

This feature rich CR-V just needs one upgrade to justify its 39L on-road price, a punchy 2.0 diesel engine. If such an engine option (170+ bhp) with fast gearbox is provided, this can easily become the 2nd best selling SUV (maybe even the best seller) in this price bracket behind Fortuner and it can even eat into the sales of less reliable europian options.

First of all, excellent review as always!

The CR-V is a good car but it is let down by the exorbitant pricing and the puny engine on offer. Giving a 1.6 litre engine in a car costing 30 lakh rupees is simply a S-U-I-C-I-D-E attempt by Honda India. For someone spending so much, the Endeavour or even the Kodiaq makes much more sense.

Honda Motors India and underpowered cars, name a better combo.

It's really tragic to see Honda's step motherly treatment of Indian market when it comes to providing good engines. The only consolation is they are equally bad to Jazz/WR-V customers (which cries for a 1.5L petrol engine) as well the CR-V customers without discrimination.

Disappointed by the lacklustre engine in the CRV. The Fortuner sells in thousands each month and the likes of Endeavours, Alturas and Kodiaqs probably add up to match the sales of the Fortuner each month. With such competition, the CRV could have at least played its “Japanese Engineering” card to have a super refined and powerful package. Our “macho” public is too obsessed with size to give up on their Fortuner, Alturas and Endeavour aspirations. The CRV could have appealed to the well healed millennial population at least (if they had the right engine)

The CR-V is a 5 seater at best. I'm sure no one would like to crawl in and then sit on the floor (basically) during a journey. Not to mention the severely underpowered engine too.

At this price point, one's better off getting a Fortuner, or my personal favourite, the Kodiaq. If one's willing to spend this much for a CR-V, I'm sure he/she wouldn't mind shelling out the few extra bucks for the Kodiaq, which although isn't VFM, but offers a much better value proposition than the CR-V. If not, the Fortuner's always there. A lot more car for a little more money.

Great review guys! I don't think I could have covered all these details even after 6 months of ownership of this car now :p

The price and engine are unanimous complaints about this car, the underwhelming sales numbers are testimony to this also. However, there are certain merits that trump these negatives.

The suspension is outstanding, I just hope it holds up well over the years as Jap suspensions tend to give way soon and get rattling. Besides the ride quality being plush, even the interiors are plush thanks to the high quality leather and plastics. The interior space in the front and second row is as much or more than the Fortuner and Endeavour minus the bulky exterior.

While it's obvious to make comparisions with the other bulky SUVs in the market, I am of the opinion that the CRV is a niche offering thats competing more with the premium sedans than the bulky SUVS.

Using my example, my mother was being chauffered around in our Fortuner for nearly a decade, by the end of it she was fed up with the car mainly due to its bumpy ride and high stance due to which she had to climb in and out. For her car replacement, the budget was flexible but requirements were specific. All of the other contenders were actually sedans such as the Superb, Camry etc rather than the Fortuner, Endeavour etc.

Thus a CRV buyer often doesn't have many other butch SUVs in his consideration. If at all the CRV is stealing some sales it is probably taking customers away from luxury sedans.It's a matter of perceptive, I for one would have liked the CRV petrol to be priced 10-15% cheaper but when I compare it with the other considerations such as the Superb it is at par. I rather take the CRV over the Superb as it has far better reliability, comfort and usability. When you look at things from this lens, you might not find it as overpriced (the petrol 5 seater)

I recently checked out Volkswagen Tiguan and I find it much better than CRV. The design is not at all good but as we say looks are subjective. What about the puny engine how can a 30L car have 120bhp engine. I remember the kind of bashing faced by Skoda Kodiaq with 150 bhp tune which seems OK in front of CRV.

It is quite simple for a prospective buyer for 5 seater settle with either of Tiguan or Tucson, for 7 seat go for Kodiaq or BOF(Endeavour or Fortuner ). With such options available it is very difficult to live with product like CRV. :Frustrati

It will most likely fade into oblivion just like it's predecessors. I dont understand who prices Honda products and how come they are so disconnected with the world around them. Throwing around a nice interior is not justification enough to charge such exorbitant price.

Contrary to popular belief the more wealthy a man is the more sharp eye he has for discerning and separating wheat from the chaff.

Some of the 2017-18 Honda CRV 1.5 Turbo gasoline vehicles in the US had issues regarding Engine oil dilution and Gasoline smell. Even prompted Honda to respond. I checked with some of the dealers and they said Honda fixed the problem with a product service update, but they are not quite sure how. Check out the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVdKNRgzGT8