Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2022, 20:19   #166
BHPian

Re: Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid

Now the tough one - how do you get a pre-worshipped 2017+ example? Nothing available online, and NCR brokers will give an Uber cladded as Camry.
Old 19th October 2022, 20:14   #167

With a heavy heart, I had to cancel my booking for Camry, having waited for 5months, as Toyota was not ready to commit the delivery date. Even though the price increased twice during my wait period, so finally got a full refund and Booked a Lexus ES 300H with a promised delivery in November 2022.

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th October 2022 at 21:17. Reason: Please proofread before posting.
uniquecon6199 is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 23rd October 2022, 07:38   #168
BHPian

4 months into ownership

Driven 2000km. This is not the primary car, hence the low running.
Some of the niggles with the car.

1) The most irritating bit, the 80kmh/ 120kmh chimes. Had requested during the first service to have them removed or at least the volume lowered. I was told they have done it, but no it is just slightly softer but loud enough. I know it’s as per the new laws but come on, I sometimes drive for 8-10 hrs continuously, and on nice open roads out side Maharashtra the beeping can get to you.

Any leads to a remedy will be appreciated!

2) The light sensor seems to be set at a high sensitivity. The screen keeps switching actively between day/ night mode post 5 pm or on a cloudy day, till it’s properly dark outside. This is quite irritating. Even if you drive under a tree for 2 seconds the screens flash. Ditto for the headlights which keep going on/off randomly in auto mode. Surprisingly there is no OFF mode at all for the headlights. There is a sensitivity control in the settings but it makes no difference.

3) It is compulsory to travel with the widows up! The car comes with a good bit of safety kit. But anyone tried travelling with the windows down, there is an alarm for that as well. Never realised in Mumbai since the AC is always on. But on a drive outside the city if you wish to take in some fresh air and do some motoring with the windows down, the MID keeps reminding you to shut the windows.

Apart from the many unnecessary alarms/ notifications, the car is a brilliant cruiser.
KKapadia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 15:24   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Same question as @rlakhanpal:

Any used Camry Hybrid's around for sale ? A friend is looking for one, preferably KA registered.
Old 4th January 2023, 19:18   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Any used Camry Hybrid's around for sale ? A friend is looking for one, preferably KA registered.
Here are two, in Karnataka,
https://www.cartrade.com/buy-used-ca...4411.html?dc=0
https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...&rk=2&isP=true

There is also a very clean looking, 2020 pre-facelift car on our very own classifieds, albeit in Chennai.
https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...ta/Camry.html/

However, I wouldn't recommend buying the XV70 generation Camry used as the asking prices are way too high. The prices will remain inflated till the time the model is phased out or the waiting period for a new one reduces significantly, both of which are unlikely to happen soon.
tanmay1904 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 20:55   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Same question as @rlakhanpal:

If your friend is not into the latest and greatest, I would suggest 2018 Camry. An easy way to identify this variant would be to look for tan coloured leather seats (older model had beige leather) and rear side airbags. It is a fantastic package.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...7-22-lakh.html (2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid launched at Rs. 37.22 lakh)

IMHO, new Camry has improved few things (upmarket looks, sporty vibe and improved drivetrain) but old Camry excels at what Camry is supposed to excel at - fat tires, soft sofa like seats, non-sporty relaxed drive. I test drove the new Camry and did not go for it - low profile tires (relatively), smallish sporty-ish steering, hard seats (relatively) - kind of diluting the DNA of a Camry in order to appeal to younger buyers.
androdev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 22:27   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
If your friend is not into the latest and greatest, I would suggest 2018 Camry.

Old Camry excels at what Camry is supposed to excel at - fat tires, soft sofa like seats, non-sporty relaxed drive.
Agreed, also expand it to the 2017 updated Camry. Apart from that, while I have not had an opportunity to check or sit in the XV50 Camry, the 2017-2018 Camry also had 12 speakers for the audio as compared to the current generation's 9 speakers. Frankly the current generation's audio pales in comparison to the canton systems offered by Skoda. Also, the 2012 - 2018 Camry sold in India was in fact the Aurion which was a very heavily upgraded and luxurious version of the actual XV50 Camry. The XV50 version also had better ergonomics I think. At the same time, availability for the 2017-18 Camry can also be a bit tricky as the Camry then sold in little numbers due to GST hike on hybrids then as well as the fact that the current generation Camry was already launched internationally in mid 2017, which may have deterred the Indian buyers from purchasing their cars then.

Quote:
I test drove the new Camry and did not go for it - low profile tires (relatively), smallish sporty-ish steering, hard seats (relatively) - kind of diluting the DNA of a Camry in order to appeal to younger buyers.
100% agree. But I think the current generation's stiffer seats must be better. While not a fair comparison, our 2010 Corolla Altis which also had soft seats would cause the people sitting in the car to have a slight backache when going for longish drives even in the city. This is not the case with our 2022 Camry.
tanmay1904 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 20:03   #173
Senior - BHPian

Can someone confirm if the current Camry comes with built-in Android Auto and Apple Carplay. If yes, are they wireless?
These features were absent when the current model was launched
Old 29th May 2023, 20:33   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Can someone confirm if the current Camry comes with built-in Android Auto and Apple Carplay. If yes, are they wireless?
These features were absent when the current model was launched
Yes. Since 2022, the Camry comes with both of them built in. But they are not wireless and the UI is plain bad.
tanmay1904 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 11:35   #175
rbk

Toyota has unveiled the 9th Generation of the Toyota Camry.

Looks like a major facelift than a completely new car. The car looks more modern now with the interiors too getting an update. Though the new looks I feel could potentially stir up quite some debate, may not entice the purists.

The Camry is now Hybrid only with a 2.5 litre petrol motor clubbed with an electric motor, with Toyota phasing out the petrol only motor which was on sale in the US (India only had the Hybrid version). The hybrid battery is now Lithium-Ion unlike the Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery in the outgoing generation.

In the interior the infotainment system finally gets the much needed upgrade. The one on the current car was just too ancient and plain bad. Also from the video it can been seen that the cluster is all digital now.

Since the car is more of a facelift than completely redesigned ground up, on an initial observation I can see that the seats are very similar to the current car. The gear lever, drive mode buttons and others things seem to be unchanged. Waiting for more videos and walk-arounds to see more!
Old 30th November 2023, 22:45   #176
BHPian

Hi guys,

Is there a way to get apple CarPlay in the 2019 launch model of the current gen Camry?
Old 17th December 2023, 17:31   #177

I'm considering purchasing a pre-owned 2017 Camry Hybrid, but I have some apprehensions about the battery. Can existing owners share the typical battery life and replacement cost? I plan to get it inspected by an authorised Toyota service centre, but it there anything specific I should watch out for? How is the long term ownership of this car? Is it high on maintenance?
Old 24th December 2023, 09:27   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhAgrawal View Post
I'm considering purchasing a pre-owned 2017 Camry Hybrid, but I have some apprehensions about the battery. Can existing owners share the typical battery life and replacement cost? I plan to get it inspected by an authorised Toyota service centre, but it there anything specific I should watch out for? How is the long term ownership of this car? Is it high on maintenance?
I would not worry about the battery. Better to have the vehicle checked with the dealer. When I bought my new car I had inquired about the battery life with the workshop in Mumbai. I was told that till date most of the first generation hybrids are still running on the original batteries. They have changed may be 1-2 batteries of cars run as tourist vehicles but with very high mileage over 2 lac km.
KKapadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 17:58   #179
BHPian

Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting the Camry. Just wanted to check the following with you guys:

1) Do you guys think it makes sense to purchase in 2024 - considering it is at the end of its life cycle (I find the interior and exterior of this car to be far classier than the 9th gen plus the dated screen doesn't bother me as much - the rest seems like a very minor upgrade)

2) Probably the only feature I would want is a 360 degree camera - Is there a way to install Toyota OEM Birds Eye View System (360 degree camera) - considering global models.

3) How has the car held up in the long run? Any issues/niggles to know about?
Old 12th February 2024, 19:05   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3WiseMen View Post
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting the Camry. Just wanted to check the following with you guys:

1) Do you guys think it makes sense to purchase in 2024 - considering it is at the end of its life cycle (I find the interior and exterior of this car to be far classier than the 9th gen plus the dated screen doesn't bother me as much - the rest seems like a very minor upgrade)
I don't think is makes sense to purchase this generation of the Camry now. It looks pretty dated and I strongly feel that the next gen will come to India by end 2024 or early 2025. From what I understand, the new Camry will be coming with improved powertrains and additional features which should be worth waiting for.
Quote:
2) Probably the only feature I would want is a 360 degree camera - Is there a way to install Toyota OEM Birds Eye View System (360 degree camera) - considering global models.
I don't think that there is a way to retrofit the 360 degree camera in the Indian Camry. But, going by the latest launches of Toyota, the new Camry will definitely come with a 360 degree camera and might get a panoramic sunroof.
Quote:
3) How has the car held up in the long run? Any issues/niggles to know about?
Nothing as much. The car is super reliable. Though you have to be careful with the low ground clearance and the low profile tires. We recently took the car loaded with people to Mumbai, and the car royally scraped on a speed breaker, which wasn't so tall to begin with.

I would suggest you wait it out till there is some concrete info on the new Camry launching in India. If you still don't like it, you can book the current gen of the Camry, which according to me should then come with an even fatter discount than the one you are getting now.

Last edited by tanmay1904 : 12th February 2024 at 19:07. Reason: Missed a word in the last sentence

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks